• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX won't use Android. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/06/02/will-nintendos-nx-adopt-android-company-says-no/

Nintendo Co. shot down a report that said it was planning on using the Android operating system to run its top secret next-generation console, which has been codenamed “NX.”

“There is no truth to the report saying that we are planning to adopt Android for NX,” a Nintendo spokesman said.

The spokesman was responding to a report in Japanese business daily the Nikkei that said Nintendo would use the Google -developed open source operating system in the console, citing people with knowledge of what’s going on at the Kyoto-based company’s headquarters.

Neoxon

rPNCqww.jpg

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
aw :[

well I hope all of the articles suggesting that it would be a great idea have some influence on them.

SerTapTap

Cool. Kinda hoping on X86 on both platforms but not sure it's likely. Just not something super weird again please.

mtodavk

That was short lived.

I was having a hard time believing that their new dedicated machine would be running on Android anyways.

jschreier

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/12/nintendo-working-on-future-handheld-generation
For two decades, Nintendo has set a precedent - it iterates repeatedly on its handheld designs, making incremental revisions to extend the life of a system. The Nintendo DS alone received this treatment three times with the DS Lite, DSi and DSi XL. However it appears as though the company might be taking a different approach with the 3DS. According to Shigeru Miyamoto, Nintendo is more focused on the 3DS's successor than anything else.

"I really feel like I'm satisfied with the 3DS hardware as it is. I feel like it's the best for this generation," Miyamoto told me, when I asked about the Nikkei's recent report about a 3DS XL, and whether his company did have plans for something similar. The Nintendo executive noted that his company is always thinking about what's next. "What we're thinking about right now is probably going to be for a future generation of handheld."

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It should be highlighted that it's a spokesman saying it, not Reggie/Iwata. So, again, don't know how much this denies the rumour. As posted in the other thread, a brief history of Nintendo v.s. japanese press from the time when Iwata himself (and not a spokesman) denied a rumour from Nikkei

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464386

This is odd, because here is the president of a major company addressing a "rumor". That's not his job—it's a PR person's job. And it's not the first time that Nintendo has called out the Japanese media for printing what it calls "rumor" and "speculation". With twenty-twenty hindsight, those past incidents shed light on who exactly is being forthright—and who isn't.

One infamous incident occurred in Jan. 2010 when the Asahi Shimbun reported that Iwata mentioned a DS successor, which had not officially been announced at that time. In the Asahi interview, Iwata reportedly said the successor will have "highly detailed graphics, and it will be necessary to have a sensor with the ability to read the movements of people playing."

Nintendo came out and said that Iwata's comments were "misinterpreted" by the Asahi Shimbun and that he "did not make any comments regarding the functions of Nintendo's future hardware systems." Sister site Kotaku Japan contacted the Asahi Shimbun, who stood by its reporting.

When the 3DS was finally unveiled later, it had both "highly detailed graphics", a gyroscope, and an accelerometer. The Asahi Shimbun's story was correct.

But this sort of back-and-forth between Nintendo and the Japanese press wasn't an isolated event. In Oct. 2009, the Nikkei reported that Nintendo was releasing a larger DSi, with two four inch screens. Shortly thereafter, Nintendo replied that the Nikkei article was "speculative".

On Oct. 29, Nintendo revealed the DSi XL, a larger version of the DSi with two 4.2-inch screens. Likewise, the Nikkei story was correct.

The Nikkei's track record is generally pretty good. While it did get a lot about the 3DS wrong ("improved battery", ha!), it's nailed other scoops, whether they've been Nintendo related or not, such as Sony's gaming phone—which happened.

The Japanese press, of course, isn't always right. Neither is Nintendo. The Kyoto-based game company is often keeping its cards close to its vest, as not to disrupt product launches. Sometimes that means flat out denying articles; other times, it means throwing reporters under the bus. This latest story that Iwata may be referring to could be untrue. Then again, it could be very true. As Nintendo's rumor track record shows, we'll know all in good time.

Jackano

My advice doesn't change so it become a bad news.
However, usually Nintendo don't comment on rumors. Smoke screen?

Jigorath

Banned
Well, that's disappointing. I thought Nintendo was going to do something really smart with their next handheld.

It's kind of funny seeing the reactions when whether it used android or not doesn't really tell us anything about what the system would be. You are relieved? Why? Whether it uses Android or not the system could still be one of a million different things.

Top Bottom