• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX won't use Android. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

DrWong

Amusing to see flip flop reactions with flop flip threads. Usual business when it comes to Wii U flop... to Nintendo stuff. Nice dance guys :]

Jigolo

Good I think its better that they develop their own OS to curate it to whatever NX is. Not being limited by the wall that android may introduce.

Jackano

Lol at the posted links. That's what I thought on first impression, Nintendo japanese spokesman hurrying to denial thing is basically a confirmation of thing!

Hasney

Most companies differentiate between Android and forking AOSP, Nintendo might be doing that here.
Good I think its better that they develop their own OS to curate it to whatever NX is. Not being limited by the wall that android may introduce.

Why? They seem to put up their own walls in their OS's anyway.

TimmiT

Maybe Nintendo's reputation when it comes to debunking rumors should be added to the OP, seeing how a lot of people here don't seem to know that Nintendo will debunk them even when they're true.

Lunar15

Nintendo almost always denies these "rumors" from Nikkei only for them to be true in the end. Not sure where the no comment thing comes from. The 3DSXL and the DS Lite spring to mind.

SerTapTap

Back to terrible OS severely lacking features.

You can carve features out of android and off-brand releases almost always do. See Fire (blank). I'm pretty disinterested in any Android device that isn't pure google. There's basically no way Nintendo would have ever included play store/etc access at the very least.

I might be dumb, but wouldn't using Android kind of open up their platform to piracy and stuff? I mean, not that their past systems were exactly impregnable or anything.

Considering they said the same thing about mobile and the 3dsXL I have my doubts. I honestly don't care either way, but Nintendo will seemly say the opposite of what is actually happening to kill a rumor

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Maybe Nintendo's reputation when it comes to debunking rumors should be added to the OP, seeing how a lot of people here don't seem to know that Nintendo will debunk them even when they're true.

Well, I'd say the (quickly edited) thread title already does the job, a bit :lol

iMax

There is still hope.

itP9TLj.jpg

Omikaru

For starters, I don't think Nintendo's denials of rumours hold much weight these days. They have a record of denying things which actually become true.

Secondly, why are people so worried about NX using Android? If they did, it'd probably be a heavily customised fork used as the basis for their cross-platform (handheld and home console) OS. This is a good thing.

Unless, of course, people are conflating Android as an OS with the kinds of software available for mobile. In which case, I don't know what to say...

Polk

Too bad. Android or rather Android based fork would mean easier porting of existing engines and big familiarity of countless potential developers.

I don't understand the logic behind your statement or are you really that ignorant when it comes to android.

I think there is legitimate reason to be concerned that Nintendo may become homogenized, generic, bland...even soul-less... if they move too strongly away from their console roots towards current mobile market trends. Adopting Android carries with it many connotations, some good, some not so good. It would be a radical shift that many would be wary of. Myself included. Despite justifiable criticism of some of Nintendo's business decisions the past few years, I quite like...even love...their identity as a gaming company. It'd be a sad day to see that get watered down in the pursuit of mass market mobile whales that inevitably change game design choices. Android by itself doesn't necessarily mean that would happen, but it wouldn't look too good. When I read their next system wouldn't become yet another Android device I breathed a sigh of relief.

McHuj

I'm surprised people eat up PR statements at such face value.

The statement could be true if they already made the decision to use Android.

More likely if they are using Android, it's been forked at some point and now is "NXOS" or whatever so technically, it's not pure Android OS anymore. (similar to how FireOS for the Amazon forked off Android or PS4's OS forked of BSD)

Ridley327

Great thread title change.

Even Miyamoto straight-up lied about the 3DS XL, and if it's going up that high in the hierarchy...

Myggen

For starters, I don't think Nintendo's denials of rumours hold much weight these days. They have a record of denying things which actually become true.

Secondly, why are people so worried about NX using Android? If they did, it'd probably be a heavily customised fork used as the basis for their cross-platform (handheld and home console) OS. This is a good thing.

Unless, of course, people are conflating Android as an OS with the kinds of software available for mobile. In which case, I don't know what to say...

People probably thing it's gonna be like the Ouya or some shit. But yeah, I agree, I would have no problem with them using Android.

Peltz

I think Shirgeru Miyamoto said that there was no 3DS XL like... 2 weeks before it was announced from what I remember.

But this is different. Nintendo isn't denying the existence of something, rather, they are denying that the rumored premise of a thing they've already announced. They've never denied something like that before for it to be then proven true.

Project Cafe details leaked and there was no denial on behalf of Nintendo. The 3D screen rumors leaked and there was no denial about that from Nintendo either. Nitro details were not denied either.

So they probably aren't lying when they deny that NX runs on Android.

Kouriozan

I'm sad it wasn't the usual "We don't comment on rumors", at least they didn't wait too much time before responding.

kewlmyc

1. Not sure why people thinking using Android would be terrible.

2. As shown in this thread, not sure why people immediately believe Nintendo when they've been shown to lie about rumors from this source in the past. Not saying it's true but debunking it immediately because Nintendo said no is silly.

Symphonia

Banned
They always respond when it is reported by major press outlets in Japan. They always deny it. Then they announce it later anyway.
This.

So are we safe to assume NX is a handheld? I'm only basing that on the fact that I can't imagine a console on par with PS4/XO being run by Android. Or is it possible?

OmegaDL50

People probably thing it's gonna be like the Ouya or some shit. But yeah, I agree, I would have no problem with them using Android.

You do realize that the Android OS has absolutely nothing to with hardware being utilized right?

An OS is precisely that. An operating system.

duckroll

But this is different. Nintendo isn't denying the existence of something, rather, they are denying that the rumored premise of a thing they've already announced. They've never denied something like that before for it to be then proven true.

They claimed that Iwata was misquoted in describing the features of the 3DS before it was announced. It was completely accurate.

R.D.Blax

Well, if they are only taking Android as a base and building there OS around it, they technically aren't using Android right ? I bet that what's they mean

MGrant

Nintendo has good reason to deny rumors, even true ones. They don't want to lose money by spooking the market (look how many people on GAF heard "Android on Nintendo hardware" and immediately thought OUYA), and they don't want their competitors to beat them to market.

That being said, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a Kindle-like GUI on top of an Android "skeleton," as someone else here mentioned.

The difference between this and previous times where they said they're not doing stuff but totally were (3DS XL, mobile) is that confirming this would have had no bearing on the commercial performance of any of their current products.

Top Bottom