• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX won't use Android. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

NotLiquid

I think one of the differences in regards to denying the 3DS XL rumors and denying this particular rumor is that in the former case, not commenting on it might have posed the risk of damaging sales before Nintendo's own announcement since the 3DS was already out. Plus, there's the fact that with that comparison it actually did have a lot of misinformation (lest the Andriasang report was to be believed it also mentioned things like car navigation and books). I don't think Nintendo have as much need to dispel a rumor like this unless it's a matter of fearing that dedicated buyers think that adopting Android somehow means they're low balling their console.

That said it's not necessarily proof it isn't going to happen. More likely though is just that it's going to be an Android derivative in terms of OS. It's still fairly early for this proposed dedicated system for any rumors to have significant weight. Things change a lot in hardware development, it's likely that at the moment they're just eyeing Android as a development platform and not much beyond that. But if we start hearing a lot more commonplace rumors similar to the almost universal "screen in controller" rumor for Wii U in about a year's time, then I'll start paying attention.

Nibel

hZD5WgN.gif

Omikaru

People probably thing it's gonna be like the Ouya or some shit. But yeah, I agree, I would have no problem with them using Android.

I don't think it being like Ouya is a legitimate concern. Ouya got off the ground on Kickstarter (admittedly in the millions, but it was a small budget to launch a hardware platform, and it shows).

On the flip side, Nintendo is a multi-billion dollar corporation who have been developing games and console operating systems for decades, and I think people should be more trusting of Nintendo's judgement if they think Android is a good basis for their operating system. They will make it their own, so to speak, and it will serve the needs of their hardware and the games they want to make in the end.

In fact, I reckon it'd be so customised that if they do use it, then chances are end-users probably wouldn't know it was Android unless someone told them. I doubt we're going to see a situation where Google Play Store is going to be built in, or people can side-load their own APKs onto the platform(s).

I also doubt it'd affect the types of software being made and released. There's nothing precluding traditional games running on Android, save for the form factor that Android has traditionally run on and the business model surrounding the marketplace for those devices.

But wouldn't it be a very basic OS?
Android is open source so it can be as basic or complicated as Nintendo wants it to be, not too dissimilar to how Valve have forked Linux to make SteamOS. I reckon Nintendo using Android would save them a lot of time in developing the fundamentals of their OS, however. If there are things they want their cross-platform OS to do, and Android -- free and open source -- already does it, and does it well, why would Nintendo reinvent the wheel? It makes more sense for them to build something to their needs on top of that.

Myggen

I don't think it being like Ouya is a legitimate concern. Ouya got off the ground on Kickstarter (admittedly in the millions, but it was a small budget to launch a hardware platform, and it shows).

On the flip side, Nintendo is a multi-billion dollar corporation who have been developing games and console operating systems for decades, and I think people should be more trusting of Nintendo's judgement if they think Android is a good basis for their operating system. They will make it their own, so to speak, and it will serve the needs of their hardware and the games they want to make in the end.

In fact, I reckon it'd be so customised that if they do use it, then chances are end-users probably wouldn't know it was Android unless someone told them. I doubt we're going to see a situation where Google Play Store is going to be built in, or people can side-load their own APKs onto the platform(s).

I also doubt it'd affect the types of software being made and released. There's nothing precluding traditional games running on Android, save for the form factor that Android has traditionally run on and the business model surrounding the marketplace for those devices.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean that I think it'll be like Ouya, I'm just saying that I think that's what people associate Android with when thinking of consoles, which isn't a good thing. I agree with your points.

It's weird that Nintendo denies it so quickly.
This only means that it'll be true.

They did the same with the 3DS XL, right before E3.

R.D.Blax

But wouldn't it be a very basic OS?

It will be as complex as they want it to be. They won't just take a version of Android, they will develop there own. Who know, maybe the end result will be so different that only people who develop on NX will realize it's using an Android based OS

JoeM86

It's like people don't know how this works. This pretty much confirms that NX will use android.

No it doesn't. It doesn't confirm anything. It just means they're denying it.

Could it turn out to be true? Sure, but this is in no way an indicator that it is true, just because they denied it. That logic is flawed.

duckroll

The difference between this and previous times where they said they're not doing stuff but totally were (3DS XL, mobile) is that confirming this would have had no bearing on the commercial performance of any of their current products.

I don't think that's really the main reason why they deny such reports. It's mainly about a culture of creating the narrative. Companies like to control how they present information to their customers and they hate it when they lose control of the narrative. So if there are credible outlets stating something that a company has not decided to publicize yet, they will deny it.

Ridley327

Fair enough. My understanding of the working behind the Android OS is limited, forgive me. If it is a console, then, we could still get hardware level with PS4/XO with Android?

Well, yeah. Any OS isn't going to have any bearing on the ultimate hardware decisions. Since Android is a very familiar OS and supports a large amount of popular middleware engines, it's safe to say that Nintendo is trying hard to make their hardware a lot less Nintendo-specific than it has been in the past.

ramparter

Banned
NX will use Lollipop's successor, called Android Mario, named after the famous Nintendo character which will also be the version's mascot. It will be a historic partnership between the two companies. Mario vs Droid: Bugs on the Move will be the first title with cross platform multiplayer between all android smartphones and nintendo NX devices.

Fair enough. My understanding of the working behind the Android OS is limited, forgive me. If it is a console, then, we could still get hardware level with PS4/XO with Android?

In terms of being able to access the hardware? For that most of android is irrelevant since that's what the linux kernel deals with, and is just as capable at running efficient graphics APIs such as Vulkan as anything else.

TheJoRu

Them denying it means nothing. Could just be that they don't want people discussing and getting too excited (or not excited) about a platform they are not promoting and do not want to talk about yet.

This is a good, rational counter-point to calm nerves of those of us who might be put off by "Nintendo becomes Android" rumors. Android no doubt brings with it some pretty big inherent advantages. But there's a stigma attached to it as well, primarily due to the sea of mostly awful/soul-less/F2P cash-grab "games" on Android platforms thus far. If anyone can make the platform work & maintain their identity & reputation for high quality, consumer friendly games it'd be Nintendo. But Android itself definitely has an image problem that Nintendo will have to overcome. If Nintendo is denying a rumor that turns out to be true it'll be an indication they knew coming into this that Android OS carries some negative connotations that could spook the market a bit as to what direction their game development will take.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Like I posted in the other thread....at least 3 companies said they will never, wont be using Android to eventually doing it. Even so far as outright dissing Android. (MS and Nokia dissed Android, MS is now actively putting lots of apps on Google Play; Nokia has released at least 2 phones running a forked version of Android and 1 tablet with straight Android.)

It took a few years but still. If companies that started off dissing Android wound up using it...it cant be that bad ....

Remember from the other thread...they could technically use Android but call it something else if its a forked version like Nokia and Amazon do. Like MS and Nokia ...maybe they dont want their product to be associated with Android as the general public knows Android.

Omikaru

If they want hardware at the level of PS4/XBO, then they will just need to use hardware at that level. The OS is pretty much independent of that. Android has been ported to x86 anyway, so it's not out of the question. Nintendo will just cater the OS for whatever hardware they use, and the end result to consumers will be invisible.

Ultimately, Android would be a good move for Nintendo. It'd make it easier for middleware developers to support Nintendo hardware, plus there's also a lot of compatibility with established APIs in Android and Linux already. Plus if they use the same OS for both their handheld and home console, multiplatform developers will really like that.

Heartfyre

It's pretty ludicrous to hold on to the position that the NX will use Android when Nintendo has clearly said that it won't. I mean, if you're not going to accept the evidence, then you're just being irrational, not speculative.

I don't feel strongly about the NX using Android either way. I trust that they'll use whatever system is best for the hardware, whether it's one they make in-house or otherwise.

xaszatm

Banned
Nintendo: It's not true

Everyone: So it MUST be true.

I swear...I don't even care if its true or not, it's just funny how reverse psychology you guys all are on how badly you seem to want this to be true.

OmegaDL50

It's pretty ludicrous to hold on to the position that the NX will use Android when Nintendo has clearly said that it won't. I mean, if you're not going to accept the evidence, then you're just being irrational, not speculative.

I don't feel strongly about the NX using Android either way. I trust that they'll use whatever system is best for the hardware, whether it's one they make in-house or otherwise.

What evidence. There is clearly two examples show cased in this topic on the very first page alone of Nintendo denying rumors from Japanese press in this case Asahi Shimbun about the DS successor, which Nintendo denied, only for them to reverse the denial and confirm on their own terms.

And borrow a quote from Kotaku.

In Oct. 2009, the Nikkei reported that Nintendo was releasing a larger DSi, with two four inch screens. Shortly thereafter, Nintendo replied that the Nikkei article was "speculative".

On Oct. 29, Nintendo revealed the DSi XL, a larger version of the DSi with two 4.2-inch screens. Likewise, the Nikkei story was correct.

Just because Nintendo denies a rumor doesn't mean it's been outright shutdown. Being so close to E3, Nintendo will naturally want control the news flow and again, confirm any information on their own terms. Even if that means outright claiming rumors and speculation as false when it could very well be true.

As is case when a precedent for this already exists and shown in above two examples.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Is it just as ludicrous to hold the position they wont use it when ppl have already posted examples of them saying one thing and doing another? Its a two way street.

XL and mobile gaming are 2 huge ones IMO.

I agree they will use whatever they feel is best. They have all this time.

Omikaru

I think it's pretty rational to look at Nintendo's previous denials, which they have reneged on, and apply sprinkles of skepticism to this latest one. In fact, I'd say it's pretty irrational to take Nintendo's denial as gospel, given their track record. Let's also not forget that Nikkei specifically has been vindicated on past Nintendo rumours, rumours which at the time Nintendo denied.

There is grounds for speculation here.

I swear...I don't even care if its true or not, it's just funny how reverse psychology you guys all are on how badly you seem to want this to be true.

You act like Nintendo hasn't done this before. Most notably being the 3DS XL denial and subsequent announcement.

Not terribly beaten up over this, but I don't think them using an android based OS was bad by any means. Guess the wait to see what the hell NX is continues.

iMax

But that's how press statements work.

xaszatm

Banned
You act like Nintendo hasn't done this before. Most notably being the 3DS XL denial and subsequent announcement.

I'm not saying they wouldn't do something like that. I am just amused by how certain everyone here is. It could be announced in less than an hour that the rumor is true and I still wouldn't care. Once people have determined what they think will happen, it's very hard for them to not see "proof" everywhere even when things happen the complete opposite.

Trago

Judging by their past history of denying certain rumors, this pretty much confirms that they are using Android lol.

It seems like past denials were all a bit wishy-washy, like "oh they're speculating," or "eh I dunno if what we're working on will really be an improved 3DS, it might be its successor."

This time they've said THERE IS NO TRUTH to that rumor.

Top Bottom