• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you beat but never really learned to play

Phediuk

You know, the games where you definitely got your way to the end but still felt like you didn't know a damn thing about how anything worked.

I feel this way about the whole Tekken series. I did pretty much everything there was to do in Tekken 3, but I never learned any combos or even any of the more complex mechanics. All I did with each character was find a spammy move and spam it. The game was easy enough that I never felt like I had to do much else. Even after I'd had the game for awhile, matches with friends were little more than button mashing. And I'm even worse at the other Tekkens.

So GAF, what games have you played a lot of but still can't play for shit?

Arkham City

Apparently there's a combo system that's intricate and core to the game's fighting mechanics.

Or I just spam buttons at every fight and beat the game :)

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I used to do that with Tekken as well. When I was 11 or 12 or so, my friend rented Tekken 5 and all we did was spam moves and unblockables until we beat the AI.

A few years later, I actually got into fighting games and learned how to play properly.

SkyOdin

For me, it is Warcraft 2 and Star Craft. I beat both of those game using the unkillable units cheats. I played a fair bit of local Star Craft multiplayer though, but never beat the campaign properly. It took me until Warcraft 3 to properly sit down and beat a Blizzard game without cheats.

MolochSigma

Neo Member
Bayonetta 1.

For some reason I never felt like I got the hang of the combat. It's not just a character action thing, I loved MG:R, Vanquish and Bayonetta 2.

Devil May Cry

I sucked at that game so much and just spammed the two or so attacks I learnt how to do, and I'm fairly good at Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising and Wonderful 101.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
The Witcher 2.

Played through on easy before Wild Hunt just to get through it and avoid fatigue.

Absolutely flew through the game much quicker than expected, only changed my sword and armor like once, never had to use any potions, and never used a mutagen. Felt less familiar with the game when it ended than I did with Wild Hunt after the prologue.

Mupod

yeah I kind of blundered my way through DMC1 until I got ifrit. And then I just charge punched my way through it.

edit: MGS3 definitely. I could not into stealth in that game, it just made no sense to me and detection seemed random. Why sit around in grass for 20 minutes hoping they wouldn't spot you when you could just run through and shoot everything? I basically played like Drew Scanlon.

I guess part of the problem is I forgot/never learned about using the d-pad to sneak.

Tapejara

MGR Revengeance.

I could never figure out how to parry, so I just restarted the game on easy difficulty with auto-parry on.

oneils

Probably crysis. I sucked at using the power suits abilities so I just played the game on easy and shot shit up.

I tend to brute force most games that have some sort of additional abilities. I played soldier in mass effect for the longest time. Took a while to feel comfortable using powers. It wasn't until mass effect 3 multiplayer that I started to really get comfortable using powers. Man I wish I could play that with a ds4 right now. The ds4 works with me3 on the PS3 but those load times...

Rutti

The World End With You

I got the lower screen combat just fine but I was never able to do the upper screen combat well. I just spammed on that or left it to automatic.

My first time through MGS3, I never figured out all the ins and outs of CQC.

I beat Vanquish on normal, but only scratched the surface. The final boss battle was kind of elating for me, and I imagine the harder difficulties would be more of that, but would also take a lot more effort.

Hatchtag

Banned
I got to the second to last boss in Sonic Generations before realizing you can hold down the boost button. Felt really fucking dumb there.

Fasty

Awesome thread topic haha. Definitely Mortal Kombat 9 for me. Somehow blundered my way through to the end (even beating Shao Kahn) but there's no way I could beat a human opponent on purpose. Don't think I learned a single combo :/

Neff

I just barely scraped through DMC3 without ever coming close to doing anything competent, let alone impressive. Defeating Vergil was more down to luck than actual ability. As a result, I dislike the game quite a bit.

Never had problems with DMC, DMC4, Bayonetta, W101, Ninja Gaiden etc. Just DMC3.

Blobbers

Any Kingdom Hearts. Higher difficulties are batshit insane. I don't need any of that noise in my life.

Normal difficulty is enjoyable enough for me.

Arkham City

Apparently there's a combo system that's intricate and core to the game's fighting mechanics.

Or I just spam buttons at every fight and beat the game :)

This so much this, I always have a hard time learning combos in the game. I have never been able to use gadgets while in combat.

MGS games are another one, I beat all them but I swear to god I did not play them the way it was meant to be, I think its mostly because I played them in english, and I didn't know english at the time.

etrain911

I got Vanquish on Plus and played through to the end because GAF really loved it but the mechanics never clicked in a way that made me want to engage in high level play.

Ryse, I had enough down for the basic combos and perks but didn't spend enough time mastering that system. I wish I had played more multiplayer when it was popular.

Hazu

Tales of Graces f
Almost finished the game and I still don't know what I am doing. It's my first Tales of game though.

Sakura

Although not quite the same, I never bothered with the touch pad for The Wonderful 101, just used the analogue stick through to the end and didn't have any problems.
TWEWY I just ignored the other screen.

The World End With You

I got the lower screen combat just fine but I was never able to do the upper screen combat well. I just spammed on that or left it to automatic.

My secret to playing this game was to get a second friend to sit next to me and control the top screen

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
for now, Witcher 3. i just can't press alt to dodge, it's mega cumbersone, I just Quen, Thunder up and hack at the thing until it dies

KawaiiRaptor

Neo Member
Persona 4 Arena and Ultimax. Button mashed my way through the story mode in both games.

One of my favorite things (as a Persona fan and a terrible fighting game player) about those games is that they are made so that you don't really have to learn it to play through the story. Arc Sys knows.

As for my pick, I painfully made my way through a bunch of Sonic games while having no idea where to go, or how the momentum worked. I'm still not sure if that was the point or not.

Peterthumpa

Monster Hunter. Played the demo on the 3DS, was like:

d6a1143f571184db25f94613edd43b40af6d3a629221aba00d9efdcfef5efd84.jpg

AmuroChan

Tales of Xilla - I found the advanced battle mechanics unnecessary to get through the game. So I didn't really bother learning to use them in battle.

Top Bottom