• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Tusk Studios renamed to "The Coalition"

4mxZRBw.gif

CGl01wRUgAAEJf7.jpg:large

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qB-YRHPa4s
Hi everyone - I'm Rod Fergusson, former studio head of Black Tusk Studios.

It’s not what you think.

Beginning today, the Vancouver-based Xbox team working on the Gears of War franchise will be known as The Coalition. What's in a name? In short, The Coalition speaks to who we are as a team, and what it is we're working on.

A coalition is a team of diverse individuals working together for a common purpose, a concept that we feel describes our studio quite well.

Fans will also recognize the Coalition of Ordered Governments (COG) from Gears of War lore.

When people hear 343 Industries, they associate it with Halo; when they hear Turn 10 Studios, they know that’s who makes Forza. Moving forward, when you hear The Coalition, we want you to think of Gears of War.

To see our new logo in motion, and to learn more about The Coalition, watch the special edition Rodcast above.

Speaking of Gears of War, we're getting close to E3, where we will share more on what's next for Gears of War. Specifically, Gears fans should be sure to tune in to Xbox Daily: LIVE @ E3, on Monday June 15 at 4PM Pacific to see what we're working on.

http://news.xbox.com/2015/06/games-introducing-the-coalition

Well, I always said all the while they were still Black Tusk there was a chance they would work on non-Gears stuff.

Obviously that is out of the window now, but I'm excited for the next Gears

Its an absolutely awful name though.

Should have called them COG Industries

FluxWaveZ

Moving forward, when you hear The Coalition, we want you to think of Gears of War.

I... don't really see that as being all that fantastic.

Well, at least "The Coalition" is a better name than "Black Tusk."

wrowa

Welp. Name sounds like they'll officially be The Gears of War Studio going forward. Can't say I'm interested in that, but for fans it's nice to know that Microsoft apparently has a lot of plans for the franchise.

RdN

Well, that sucks.

Not only Black Tusk is a better name, but this definitely kills any chance of the studio making another game other than Gears.

Well, looks like we have a Gears of War factory now then.

As much chance of them producing something original as there is of 343 doing something new.

That stealth game they originally teased will be down the tubes now.

FluxWaveZ

Oh geez, first time I've asked this kind of question, but am I the only one who actually likes the name change? Damn.

I always liked the name Black Tusk. I believe they were named after the mountain in BC just north of Vancouver where the studio is located.

Knowing that makes it more meaningful, but I still can't say I'm a fan.

Swhalen

I... don't really see that as being all that fantastic.

Well, at least "The Coalition" is a better name than "Black Tusk."

I always liked the name Black Tusk. I believe they were named after the mountain in BC just north of Vancouver where the studio is located.

mrqs

That's a bummer. I really enjoyed the art direction of Black Tusk's Logo.

And, well, i'm not sure if i'm happy about they being the "Gears of War studio"

Their 2013 teaser seems quite nice

Black%2BTusk.png

Never a great sign when you name your game studio after something in the game series you'll be stuck developing forever.

Leflus

Black Tusk Studios was a far better name. : /

Don't see why they had to change it. It's not like it was a franchise specific name to begin with.

Top Bottom