• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Tusk Studios renamed to "The Coalition"

Montresor

The name of the studio doesn't matter.

They are apparently a talented studio and they are tasked with developing a sequel to one of the best TPS games ever made. And this is a problem... because?

Das Ace

They are apparently a talented studio and they are tasked with developing a sequel to one of the best TPS games ever made. And this is a problem... because?

Personally, I felt burnt out after Judgement. Also, the entire industry grabbed the unique parts of gears and modified it for themselves. Unless they make some pretty drastic changes it's going to feel stale.

And if they are making drastic changes, why not just make a new IP? (This is rhetorical, I know how risk aversion works :p)

Montresor

Personally, I felt burnt out after Judgement. Also, the entire industry grabbed the unique parts of gears and modified it for themselves. Unless they make some pretty drastic changes it's going to feel stale.

And if they are making drastic changes, why not just make a new IP? (This is rhetorical, I know how risk aversion works :p)

I guess I sort of understand the apprehension towards a super talented studio like Black Tusk being a "Gears only" developer, if you didn't like Gears.

But what if you are a big Gears fan? Don't you want more Gears games in the industry? Don't you want a talented group to lead development on those Gears games?

Their original concept game looked AMAZING, but it was just a 30-second video of someone scaling down a wall, and it had a neat name, Shangheist.

If you remember judgement removed a lot of the elements which made gears of war flow like it does, and it was a very soft launch which came from no where, have faith gears will be back :D

panda-zebra

Banned
I like it.

I want to cry.

such a stupid fukin name for many reasons

I like it.

lol whyyyy

The Coalition does sound rather odd.

Such confusion in the ranks. If any Coalition is to succeed it'll need a firm hand from the Chief Whips.

I don't get the reactions here. I thought it was already (logically) assumed that they would mainly focus on Gears months before this name change.

uh-huh.

I like the logo looks like chainsaw

It looks like a gear crossed with an angle grinder blade crossed with chainsaw teeth. But someone forgot to observe the direction of the arrow before installing, because it ain't cutting jack shit spinning in that direction. Makes pretty sparks though.

Gears is already that big.
I personally don't see it that way.

It has not been around as long as Forza, and has never broke the 10m mark in sales for a single game
(though I guess, to be fair, Halo has only done that like once I think??...not sure about sales for Reach and 4, but I believe Halo 3 did over 10m)

Anyways I guess I would see it as a bigger franchise if I enjoyed it more. I have never made it past the first game though....

It has not been around as long as Forza, and has never broke the 10m mark in sales for a single game
(though I guess, to be fair, Halo has only done that like once I think??...not sure about sales for Reach and 4, but I believe Halo 3 did over 10m)

Anyways I guess I would see it as a bigger franchise if I enjoyed it more. I have never made it past the first game though....
That's a weird reason to count Forza, but not Gears. Gears is already one of the big guys.

Edit: fyi Forza is only one year older than Gears lol

Hoo-doo

Banned
I guess I sort of understand the apprehension towards a super talented studio like Black Tusk being a "Gears only" developer, if you didn't like Gears.

But what if you are a big Gears fan? Don't you want more Gears games in the industry? Don't you want a talented group to lead development on those Gears games?

Their original concept game looked AMAZING, but it was just a 30-second video of someone scaling down a wall, and it had a neat name, Shangheist.

Super talented? I have not yet seen any of their output on shelves. A scattering of prominent, talented developers individually does not yet make them a cohesive studio that instantly makes incredible games. Let's wait until they actually ship something before judging their quality as a dev team.

But generally, I don't think it's a positive thing to have one developer railroaded into just having one IP to work with. It's a new AAA team with both fresh blood as well as industry veterans, sounds like a team that should be busying themselves with brand new games and experiences if they wanted to. And they obviously wanted to.

But without Epic available, Microsoft simply decided Black Tusk to be assigned to Gears.
"That new IP you guys were working on? Can it. Here's an established franchise. Produce a game out of this mould every two years. Go. "

I'm obviously exaggerating, it's without a doubt a big deal to get to work on Gears of War, of all franchises, but it feels wrong to me to can one thing and to basically dedicate a promising, brand new team to be a Gears-factory.

Well I guess the fact that it has been around so long, and that there have been 7 games made in the franchise (with another his year) makes it easier to recognize as a significant franchise.
Gears has had just 4 games (which I guess is still a lot) and the last one did relatively bad sales wise.

Anyways, as I said before, the reason I don't consider it a major franchise is probably because I did not enjoy the mechanics in the first game much, and never bothered to try the others after that, so it is really more of me just not careing for it than it not being a big franchise I guess.

Anyways, back on topic.....
if The Coalition can make a bunch of good gears games than I guess I won't mind this, but it was my hope that they would one day move on and make a new IP.

EDIT: only one year?
Wow....Guess that shows how fuzzy my memory is....I guess since Forza started on OG Xbox, it feels a lot older.

We'll have to see how it turns out, but it's not the worst idea yet. Even if I'm not hungry for more Gears, if the game is and looks really good I will be.

The one thing that sucks is that I feel snubbed from a new franchise. Black Tusk was going to deliver the net big Xbox franchise, like Halo and Gears before it. Instead we get...more Halo and Gears. And that teaser trailer loked pretty interesting. Asian setting, heist-gameplay...

I'm betting MS wants Rare and Lionhead to fill the void of new IP, but I'm still waiting for the big new IP that will define this Xbox generation. Not sure if it'll even come now...

Suddenly a lot less excited about what Black Tusk/Coalition will bring.

I expected them to deliver a great Gears game and after that hopefully develop a new IP with their talented team.

Now they are just another factory.

coalition_factory93r8w.png

Gears was Gears because Epic games made it Gears.

Shoe-horning a completely different developer into taking over a franchise and having it be all they fucking do is such a shitty strategy and I don't understand why Microsoft is doing this again.
Just look at 343i, they will probably never touch Bungie when it comes to making Halo games but you can bet your ass it's all the team will ever do. You can't just put any team on any IP and squeeze success out of it by sheer force of will.

Have developers be free in what they want to create. How demotivating must it be to have just finished up Halo 4 and the very next week you're having to do mostly the same shit again working on Halo 5 and Halo 6 after that. Variety is the spice of life.

So who is going to make Gears after Microsoft obviously spent a lot of money buying it? Someone has to do it and Epic werent interested, it was a huge franchise for Xbox, you cant expect them to have just left it behind and have it untouched for a decade before possibly coming back to it, and even then it might not have had anything to do with MS. Plus a lot of the Gears team left, considering all the whining about how Rare arent the same because "everyone left" I dont think this scenario is so different.

It might not be the best policy, but buying Epic was never going to happen because of all their engine work, they'd have paid an absolute fortune and most of it for something (UE) that would be pretty worthless outside of their internal studios

Lets not forget Cliffy and Rod's involvement in Judgment, which a lot of people didnt like.

I feel quite confident about Rod and TC, hes obviously integral to the game and had all his plans at Epic which he got to bring over

Percy

Banned

Gears is definitely a huge franchise, maybe not to the same degree as Halo is (Was?), but it was definitely huge last gen (Judgement excluded).

However, it's worth noting in mind that Forza has never been anywhere close to being as big as either of those other two franchises. As much as you'll see it mentioned in the same breath as Halo, it has never been what you could call a 'huge' franchise by any means. Gears was a much bigger deal than it from day one.

If you remember judgement removed a lot of the elements which made gears of war flow like it does, and it was a very soft launch which came from no where, have faith gears will be back :D

How so?

leeh

So who is going to make Gears after Microsoft obviously spent a lot of money buying it? Someone has to do it and Epic werent interested, it was a huge franchise for Xbox, you cant expect them to have just left it behind and have it untouched for a decade before possibly coming back to it, and even then, it might not have had anything to do with MS.

It might not be the best policy, but buying Epic was never going to happen because of all their engine work, they'd have paid an absolute fortune and most of it for something (UE) that would be pretty worthless outside of their internal studios

Lets not forget Cliffy and Rod's involvement in Judgment, which a lot of people didnt like.

I feel quite confident about Rod and TC, hes obviously integral to the game and had all his plans at Epic which he got to bring over
Yep, and from his tweets, the dude seems genuinely excited to be working on Gears again.

Id rather have Gears than no gears, and I'd rather this studio work on Gears.

Gears is definitely a huge franchise, maybe not to the same degree as Halo is (Was?), but it was definitely huge last gen (Judgement excluded).

However, it's worth noting in mind that Forza has never been anywhere close to being as big as either of those other two franchises. As much as you'll see it mentioned in the same breath as Halo, it has never been what you could call a 'huge' franchise by any means. Gears was a much bigger deal than it from day one.

Are many racing games franchises these days outside of Gran Turismo that big? It seems like the exception, not the rule.

Turn10 and Forza are obviously considered hugely important to Microsoft, in the recent re-org Forza was one of the 4 brands that is still reporting directly to Phil Spencer (Halo, Gears and Minecraft the others). They must be pretty happy with how it sells even if its not Gears/Halo huge.

Heigic

People think popular games shouldn't get sequels or it should be shipped to a different dev every time apparently.

I keep seeing posts like this. Why does it suck exactly?

People like new IP and Black Tusk did tease one, regardless of what Phil Spencer says. I can understand the disappointment, not just at the unfortunate demise of Shangheist but also that they will be Gears only from now on. They should never have shown that teaser at E3 really, just set up a situation they caused themselves and Phil's explanation seems incredibly weak to me, I dont buy it.

All the while they were still named Black Tusk I thought the door was open for them to explore something else later on which now seems like unless something major happens, will definitely not be the case.

I do like that MS are all in on Gears I like what they do with Halo but I prefer Gears as a franchise, there was a job listing on the MS careers site today which was for a "Director of Consumer Products" wanting someone to make a strategic plan that maps to a long range franchise plan, so they are definitely going big, which I like.

These franchise factory comments have me scratching my head because the studio was built with the purpose of becoming a "franchise factory".

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
it was expected, that black tusk would become the gears of war machine, but it still sucks to hear rob confirm it. gears is only ok.

Angel_DvA

I think it will depends of the next Gears of War success, I don't think Gears is as popular as it was now because of all the bro fps thing, Halo/COD/Destiny/BF etc ... are bigger.

The name change crack me up though, they had 3 different names and still haven't release something decent, it's time now, bring Gears ultimate edition this summer.

These franchise factory comments have me scratching my head because the studio was built with the purpose of becoming a "franchise factory".
Not exactly. The studio started as MS Game Studios Vancouver before it became Black Tusk, where they worked on MS Flight and a cancelled Kinect game called Project Columbia.

Source: http://kotaku.com/5929141/microsoft-shuts-down-vancouver-based-studio

But yes Black Tusk was going to work on a franchise. The big difference it was going to be a new franchise which was exciting to people for obvious reasons.

PhatSaqs

Banned
People like new IP and Black Tusk did tease one, regardless of what Phil Spencer says. I can understand the disappointment, not just at the unfortunate demise of Shangheist but also that they will be Gears only from now on. They should never have shown that teaser at E3 really, just set up a situation they caused themselves and Phil's explanation seems incredibly weak to me, I dont buy it.

All the while they were still named Black Tusk I thought the door was open for them to explore something else later on which now seems like unless something major happens, will definitely not be the case.
I think If what they teased was actually worth being excited over it'd still exist and MS would give Gears the 343 treatment. Obviously it wasnt thus the situation.

It'd be great if they were totally transparent and told us the project sucked so we canned it but thats not gonna happen.

ya know they probably cancelled their new ip because it wasn't very good. I mean, that happens all the time.

I know people like to hype themselves into a frenzy about NEW IPS NEW IPS NEW IPS, despite knowing absolutely nothing about them, but if they can turn in a great Gears of War game instead of a rough expensive "new" one, wouldn't that be better? To have great games instead of just okayish ones?

I think If what they teased was actually worth being excited over it'd still exist and MS would give Gears the 343 treatment. Obviously it wasnt thus the situation.

It'd be great if they were totally transparent and told us the project sucked so we canned it but thats not gonna happen.
Quality might not have anything to do with it. The other possibility is that the top execs decided the new project wasn't going to be profitable in the way that Gears is guaranteed to be.

Acting like good concepts don't get binned for proven IP is insanity.

The Coalition>Black Rusk. The Coalition is an epic name! Love it

Pun intended?

I actually quite like the new logo in comparison to black tusks, not sold on the name yet though. Also, why do a lot of people think that because they saw some CGI teaser for a new game that it was going to be awesome. Who knows what that game was going to be.

Quality might not have anything to do with it. The other possibility is that the top execs decided the new project wasn't going to be profitable in the way that Gears is guaranteed to be.

I can't blame them if that's the case. It looked like a stealth game, and Splinter Cell Blacklist recently bombed. I've never cared much for stealth games, but it does suck to lose a potential new IP. I'd have made the same choice if I were Phil.

Loxley

They went from a name that makes them sound like a PMC to a name that makes them sound like a PMC from a dystopian future.

Visvarupa

Neo Member
Only played the first Gears game, and the last great 3rd person shooter i played was RE4 on PC, so I happily await the eventual collection pack and new sequel/prequel whatever. And much like nintendo, i have hopes that even thou they are going back to something familiar, they will at least implement enough new stuff to make it feel fresh. I would question them more if they jumped unto the open-world craze or tackling mechanics that they are not familiar with. Been a while since i played a game like gears. The fire rises.

BriGuy

Because it effectively slams the door shut on them ever putting that talent to use on creating something new and original. Imagine if Nintendo made Mario, said "yep, that's a winner," and made nothing but Mario games ever since. GoW is great and is understandably important to Microsoft, but who knows what we're missing out on.

rrc1594

It's crazy to me that people are complaining about them making the same game, when they even haven't put out one game. People love to look at the negatives, lets see whats positive.

- They have a series they can build on that is already established. The ground work is already there

- They already have a fanbase following, and they have been very active in the community already. I have played a few game with some developers on Gears 3.

Can we let them put out a game, before we start to complain

W.S.

From what I've been able to gather it seems like Microsoft created Black Tusk to come up with a new IP to fill in the gap that Gears left since Epic wasn't going to make more of them and MS didn't have a say in where the franchise would go next. Epic could have ported it to other platforms so MS wisely stepped in and bought it.

If you look at how all the pieces fell Black Tusk was certainly the studio most fit to inherit the Gears property since they were the new upcoming AAA studio so it makes sense.

That being said I would have liked to have seen what MS and Black Tusk would have come up with if the Gears deal with Epic didn't happen.

Gestault

I liked it better as Black Tusk and I also liked it better when they were working on this:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/252/e/e/black_tusk_by_raziel1992-d6lp1mf.gif

Honestly if I hadn't seen this exact scene, right down to the fireworks, in CoD Ghosts (Federation Day) already, I'd have been more stoked by that concept video. Even knowing the Black Tusk approach would be more my style. Since that video and whichever Gears title comes out of this development are presumably both third-person action, I feel like their efforts are still going to the right place.

Lol wow. For many people it was worth being excited over. You have a peculiar perspective on things.

Top Bottom