• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Tusk Studios renamed to "The Coalition"

_Ryo_

How is it a good thing for you to want your studio to be known for only making one thing?

I don't understand that.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I don't like The in the name. Coalition Games, Coalition Studios or something. The Coalition sounds like a game itself.

But I prefered Black Tusk as well.

Neat logo though.

sqLB5Iq.gif

Any time they're feeling burned out they can file a transfer to the Halo 7 team.

Big Park are across the hallway, they can go do Sports and Entertainment apps for a while!

I really would like to know how that meeting went with MS.

"Hey guys, so from now on you will only be making Gears of War games. Forever."

Given they were already working on Gears, this seems like more of a formality than anything else, if Gears 4 is a success, they are obviously going to do Gears 5 (probably would even if it wasn't)

They would have known what they were getting into when they took on Gears

Just like 343 and now these guys, I wonder how they can operate efficiently (and with a happy staff) when their creativity is so fundamentally limited and bottled to just one franchise.

Miles X

Not sure what you're talking about. The first party lineup from their internal studios is definitely diverse.

It's tired is what it is.

Turn 10 = Only Forza

343 = Only Halo

Black Tusk = Only Gears

all their huge studios are dedicated to one franchise, it leaves ZERO room for big new ip from Microsoft like ND did with The Last of Us.

So basically just GoW and nothing else?

That's a bit of a shame...

Exactly my thought. Looks like they will whore the shit out of the Gears franchise which to be honest, while i love Gears of War, is a bit lame and will make the franchise lose its appeal. Whyyy ??

Alienous

How is it a good thing for you to want your studio to be known for only making one thing?

I don't understand that.

I guess they expect talent to go in and out of a revolving door at that studio.

"I'll apply for The Coalition. I could do with making a Gears of War."

But I can't imagine that prospect holds ambitious individuals for long, knowing that nothing else will get made.

_woLf

It concerns me that Microsoft insists on having dedicated studios for every single one of their titles instead of letting their talented studios branch out a bit. It's really bad for the industry and encourages no new IP. :(

Did people think they were going to make one Gears game and move on or something? Was pretty obvious they were going to be working on Gears for the foreseeable future, regardless if it's as Black Tusk or Coalition. The name doesn't really change anything.

Noobcraft

Well, I always said all the while they were still Black Tusk there was a chance they would work on non-Gears stuff.

Obviously that is out of the window now, but I'm excited for the next Gears

Its an absolutely awful name though.

Should have called them COG Industries
Cognitive entertainment

Speaking of Gears of War, we're getting close to E3, where we will share more on what's next for Gears of War. Specifically, Gears fans should be sure to tune in to Xbox Daily: LIVE @ E3, on Monday June 15 at 4PM Pacific to see what we're working on.

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG .

Will this be aired via any youtube stream for their dailies?? I don't want to miss any daily!!!

Just like 343 and now these guys, I wonder how they can operate efficiently (and with a happy staff) when their creativity is so fundamentally limited and bottled to just one franchise.

I don't think you join a studio like 343 and now TC if you don't want to work on that franchise, you go and do it because you feel passionate to work on it.

Also at some point guys we need a meeting on an appropriate abbreviation. Is TC good?

Majanew

Banned
Exactly my thought. Looks like they will whore the shit out of the Gears franchise which to be honest, while i love Gears of War, is a bit lame and will make the franchise lose its appeal. Whyyy ??

Because MS gives no fucks when it comes to actual first-party studios. MS will just buy third-party games while continuing with the same old from their own studios.

Chris1

Turn 10 = Only Forza

343 = Only Halo

Black Tusk = Only Gears

all their huge studios are dedicated to one franchise, it leaves ZERO room for big new ip from Microsoft like ND did with The Last of Us.
There's still Remedy. I know they're not a MS studio, but they might aswell be at this point.

"Warriors of the Coalition" was the name an xbox friend wanted to call our Gears clan.

I'm not xbox friends with that person anymore.

Toki767

Did people think they were going to make one Gears game and move on or something? Was pretty obvious they were going to be working on Gears for the foreseeable future, regardless if it's as Black Tusk or Coalition. The name doesn't really change anything.

Black Tusk at least had a shot. Establish themselves as a studio by making a Gears game just to gain some recognition. Then on a new IP after.

The Coalition just sounds like they'll be doing Gears after Gears after Gears.

MisterR

Haha, people have doomed them over a simple name-change.

You never know, their game might actually be pretty good!

I think it's more that people just hoped for more from them. They will probably make some good Gears of War games, but they seemed like they would be creating new, exciting franchises.

chadskin

They could've always established a second team under the Black Tusk umbrella to work on something else entirely. With the change to a Gears-focused name, it'd say those chances are gone now.

People splitting hairs about how the game studio sounds. What's wrong with a name change to associate the franchise your working on. 343i did it, now The Coalition is doing it.

Because it now implies that its the only fucking thing they will be working on.

It even seems worse since they had a supposedly new ip they were building which got shelved (presumably for this initiative)

My problem with the name is the "The" in it.

I'm perfectly okay with "Coalition Games," "Coalition Software," "Coalition Studios," just "Coalition," and probably others, but that "The" to make it "The Coalition" just sounds stupid.

Also, now they have to swap out that developer name title card in the trailer for Gears 1 Remastered that they're going to announce at E3. That's annoying timing - the name change would've at least been a big story at E3 this year, even if no one cares about a Gears remake...

Leflus

Turn 10 = Only Forza

343 = Only Halo

Black Tusk = Only Gears

You are free to have that opinion. Doesn't mean that the lineup isn't diverse, though.

I wonder if someone will ever speak on what Shangheist was, and the vision for it. Would make for a good article if a news outlet could ever get the right sources.

I like it. Fits in well with the Gears lore. It was pretty obvious that they were only going to be working on Gears of War games and we all know they won't just make 1 Gears game and move onto something else.

It concerns me that Microsoft insists on having dedicated studios for every single one of their titles instead of letting their talented studios branch out a bit. It's really bad for the industry and encourages no new IP. :(

I not agree, Turn 10 studios needs to be focused in Forza (or Horizon, or something related to Racing) to excel in that genre.

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't get the reactions here. I thought it was already (logically) assumed that they would mainly focus on Gears months before this name change.

Raide

I think it's more that people just hoped for more from them. They will probably make some good Gears of War games, but they seemed like they would be creating new, exciting franchises.

I am sure they could do plenty with the expanded universe of Gears and not just another Gear game. Saying that, a new Gears using UE4 and on Xbox One would look damn delicious.

Top Bottom