• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Tusk Studios renamed to "The Coalition"

spanks

A bit generic, reminds of The Collective.

I thought Black Tusk had a touch of individuality to it. Oh well, at least the logo's better.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Well alrighty then.
I hope they put their stamp on the franchise and make it great. A dedicated team is a much better option than farming it out in this case.

Alx

Took me some time to remember who Black Tusk was. All those studios with weird names are hard to remember, I keep confusing Double Fine and Twisted Pixels for some reason.
In a way naming it with a reference to their main IP can help (it worked for Sonic Team anyway ;) ), but I'm not sure about "the Coalition". I'm not really familiar with GeoW lore anyway.

Jigorath

Banned
You mention Sony, ignoring that Guerrilla have only ever made Killzone for them (new IP coming, like LH), Sucker Punch have done Infamous since the PS3 was born, Polyphony = GT, Sony Santa Monica cancelled their new IP, working on a new God of War (which is their 5th)

MS have less studios than Sony but also go bigger on the franchises they have and they're successful, we're getting new stuff from outside studios

I don't think Sony is forcing any of their studios to stick to one franchise which is the main thing people seem to be complaining out. Naughty Dog has worked on Crash, Jak, Uncharted, and The Last of Us. Suckerpunch did Sly and Infamous. Evo made Motorstorm and Driveclub. Media Molecule is working on a new IP. Guerrila Games is working on a new IP. Sony Bend is working on a new IP. Sony Santa Monica has worked on a lot of different games outside of God of War. The only studio that seems to be stuck to one series is Polyphony and that's probably by choice considering Yamauchi's passion for the franchise.

You're probably right, but, I imagine most of the people paying attention to E3 are already aware of the leaks. If it was a collection, I wouldn't think a stealth release would happen, but, since it's just one game, I can see it.

Hell, they just released the ODST remaster randomly on a Saturday.

ODST was communicated before the release. The date of release came out the same day it was released. LOL

Heh.

Was obvious that "The Coalition" were forever gonna be a gears factory.

Great if you love these franchises though.

Kinda why I like Sony and their attitude to 1st party studios-they let them spread their wings a bit.

ND=Uncharted series and then Last of Us new IP
Guerilla=KZ and now new IP Horizon
Media Molecule=LBP and now new IP

Raide

At the end of the day, the name means nothing. Its their first game that will give them a name people remember.

People remember the teams that do rush ports more than their actual back catalogue. The same goes for great games.

Mr.Pink

Neo Member
Ah, screw you guys. More Gears of War from a dedicated GoW studio makes me happy at least. The name is worse though but the logo is better!

shandy706

thecov8jqo.gif

**Now in OP :)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Well alrighty then.
I hope they put their stamp on the franchise and make it great. A dedicated team is a much better option than farming it out in this case.

But Black Tusk already was a dedicated team, they just don't need to be a Gears of War machine necessarily.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
No reason for them working on Gears to bother me so I don't care about that. I just liked the old name more.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Microsoft Vancouver never released a game.

Black Tusk Studios never released a game.

Third time's the charm...

Yay now there's a word to describe their indentured servitude to produce nothing but gears sequels.

Until they're put down behind the shed.

Heh.

Was obvious that "The Coalition" were forever gonna be a gears factory.

Great if you love these franchises though.

Kinda why I like Sony and their attitude to 1st party studios-they let them spread their wings a bit.

ND=Uncharted series and then Last of Us new IP
Guerilla=KZ and now new IP Horizon
Media Molecule=LBP and now new IP

The Coallition not even a game released.
343i Only have 1 game and 1 remaster
Turn 10 has more diversity than Polyphony (Horizon != Motorsport)
Rare (Multiple franchices and totally free). Phil said they are free to do whatever they want to
Lionshead: Black&White, Fable.
Remedy (2nd) Quantum Break and Alan Wake, I pretty sure they are free to do whatever they want to.

From a old Polygon article about the studio:

After the studio's rebranding, studio manager Mike Crump told the Vancouver Sun that Black Tusk had been given the green light to work on a brand new AAA game.

"We are working on Microsoft's next big franchise," Crump said in November of 2012. "We're not working on an existing franchise. We're looking to build the next Halo here in Vancouver, for example, which is really exciting. We're building something from the ground up."

Microsoft teased what many believed was Black Tusk's original IP at its E3 press conference seven months later. Microsoft Studios corporate vice president Phil Spencer announced on stage that the company was investing in five new studios to create blockbuster franchises for Xbox, and Black Tusk was one of them. He said the studio was "assembling a world-class team to create a brand new AAA exclusive game for Xbox One."
So much for that.

PhatSaqs

Banned
But Black Tusk already was a dedicated team, they just don't need to be a Gears of War machine necessarily.
They're basically a start up studio that has a hit IP to use as the spring board for their foundation and identity (after apparently searching for said identity by way of an original project and failing). I don't necessarily see the problem with that.

chadskin

Rare (Multiple franchices and totally free). Phil said they are free to do whatever they want to
Remedy (2nd) Quantum Break and Alan Wake, I pretty sure they are free to do whatever they want to.

If that were true, they would have made Alan Wake 2, not Quantum Break.

Outrun

Under the model that MS has embraced, an individual who is tired with one farm could move to another farm within the MS family.

Of course, I could be 100% wrong here, but as more farms get established, greater diversity could be created.

Leflus

Turn10 didn't make the Forza Horizon games.

Twisted Pixel and Press Play are not that much smaller than Media Molecule, though. Both TP and PP have churned out plenty of new IPs over the years.

You're probably right, but, I imagine most of the people paying attention to E3 are already aware of the leaks. If it was a collection, I wouldn't think a stealth release would happen, but, since it's just one game, I can see it.

Hell, they just released the ODST remaster randomly on a Saturday.

ODST was announced 6 months ago though, they said it would hit in May back in April and it did, wasn't really that random, except the weekend release.

Wow that name is horrid? Why would they change it from Black Tusk?

The Coalition just sounds wrong. Why not just Coalition Studios?

This is like renaming Pixar to Radiator Springs Studio and having them make Cars movies for the foreseeable future. Disney's shrewd but not on this level, and doing it twice over.

Disclaimor: I know the analogy isn't one-to-one.

Turn10 didn't make the Forza Horizon games.

Twisted Pixel and Press Play are not that much smaller than Media Molecule, though. Both TP and PP have churned out plenty of new IPs over the years.

Well, a lot of the Forza 5 assets were used in Horizon, so it is very close to work for both projects.

jelly

Welcome to the factory.

Hope they do something fun with Gears at least.

I thought that was roidcast for a moment there.

Apathy

Microsoft is just dead set on making each studio only pump out one IP forever. That is going to get really artistically boring. Black Tusk was a better name, and why not just let studios try out new IP's, you might be surprised at what the creatives can do if given room.

Juanfp

MS partner with other studios to do new stuff, Remedy, Insomniac, Crytek, Platinum etc and their smaller studios in Twisted Pixel, Press Play and Team Dakota

Rare and Lionhead (post FL admittedly) are working on a new thing

You mention Sony, ignoring that Guerrilla have only ever made Killzone for them (new IP coming, like LH), Sucker Punch have done Infamous since the PS3 was born, Polyphony = GT, Sony Santa Monica cancelled their new IP, working on a new God of War (which is their 5th)

MS have less studios than Sony but also go bigger on the franchises they have and they're successful, we're getting new stuff from outside studios

No, what are you doing? That is too much logic.

I am looking on how the new gears will be.

Top Bottom