• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Tusk Studios renamed to "The Coalition"

In the creative environment of video games things like this are just ... I don't know the word for it. Passionless? 'Gears of War is what we make here'. Just ... ugh.

It's like resigning to that fate. It just seems needlessly limiting, like if Naughty Dog decided to be 'Golden Hinde Studios'. "Should we make The Last of Us?", "How many times ... what's the fucking name of the studio, Barry?", "... Golden Hinde", "Yeah. Yeah, now make another Uncharted".

And Black Tusk just sounds more cool.
Drakeconian Inc.?

Con_Smith

Banned
Maybe they'll get to make something other than Gears in the off season. I know thats probably wrong and they'll likely be disbanded or shut down if Gears don't sell but let's be optimistic.

Genio88

Black Task Studios sounded way better, but it doesn't really matter at all, i hope they'll show the new Gears reboot as soon as possible

dugdug

Banned
I don't get the reactions here. I thought it was already (logically) assumed that they would mainly focus on Gears months before this name change.

Assuming still leaves room for hope.

Confirming destroys the hope.

Hope is dead.

People splitting hairs about how the game studio sounds. What's wrong with a name change to associate the franchise your working on. 343i did it, now The Coalition is doing it.

Their old project was canned over a year ago now. There is shouldn't be nostalgia for a product that never actually existed outside of a CG trailer of a dude scaling a building.

You can complain about losing game diversity but this a common occurrence in the industry. Studios focused on a single franchise is nothing new and this name change didn't change what was already in motion.

Man, you just preached it!
Couldn't agree more.

I like it. Black Tusk was terrible name. The log looks badass too once you see it in motion at the end of the video. It's got the cog + chainsaw thing going on.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Oh no, they want fans to think of their studio rather than Epic when they think of Gears of War. What a tragedy.

j0hnnix

What a bad choice.... Black Tusk was way better sounding. It wasn't smart in saying they want to just be remembered for gow.. what a way of limiting yourself.

It's tired is what it is.

Turn 10 = Only Forza

343 = Only Halo

Black Tusk = Only Gears

all their huge studios are dedicated to one franchise, it leaves ZERO room for big new ip from Microsoft like ND did with The Last of Us.

MS partner with other studios to do new stuff, Remedy, Insomniac, Crytek, Platinum etc and their smaller studios in Twisted Pixel, Press Play and Team Dakota

Rare and Lionhead (post FL admittedly) are working on a new thing

You mention Sony, ignoring that Guerrilla have only ever made Killzone for them (new IP coming, like LH), Sucker Punch have done Infamous since the PS3 was born, Polyphony = GT, Sony Santa Monica cancelled their new IP, working on a new God of War (which is their 5th)

MS have less studios than Sony but also go bigger on the franchises they have and they're successful, we're getting new stuff from outside studios

Majanew

Banned
I don't get the reactions here. I thought it was already (logically) assumed that they would mainly focus on Gears months before this name change.

Probably were just holding out hope MS would allow the studio to work on other games besides Gears -- since they were before MS bought the Gears IP. This is being taken as a sort of confirmation MS isn't having any of that nonsense. Fuck Shangheist! The people want Gurs of Whur Fwor!
Yes, I want Gears 4. I also liked the talk of creating new first-party IPs, so when Shangheist was canned, it was a bummer.

People complain when Microsoft doesn't do enough for their first party entries. This is a big statement on their support for Gears of War.. And people continue to bitch.

Companies have studios dedicated to a franchise all the time.. This is nothing new.

"Speaking of Gears of War, we're getting close to E3, where we will share more on what's next for Gears of War. Specifically, Gears fans should be sure to tune in to Xbox Daily: LIVE @ E3, on Monday June 15 at 4PM Pacific to see what we're working on."

Hoping this doesn't mean that there will be nothing on Gears in the conference itself.

MS partner with other studios to do new stuff, Remedy, Insomniac, Crytek, Platinum etc and their smaller studios in Twisted Pixel, Press Play and Team Dakota

You mention Sony, ignoring that Guerrilla have only ever made Killzone for them (new IP coming, like LH), Sucker Punch have done Infamous since the PS3 was born, Polyphony = GT, Sony Santa Monica cancelled their new IP, working on a new God of War (which is their 5th)

MS have less studios than Sony but also go bigger on the franchises they have and they're successful, we're getting new stuff from outside studios

All great points. It would be nice to see 343i and The Coalition eventually work on new IPs, though.

Auctopus

David-Cameron-and-Nick-Cl-007.jpg

Exactly what came to mind. Yucky name for a studio in my mind.

Leflus

It's not as diverse as it could be, that's the point.
..but all of their studios are working on games of different styles and genres.

I guess you could lump Halo and Gears in under the "shooter" umbrella, but even then there are some big differences between the IPs (fps vs tps, colourful vs gritty).

Black Tusk at least had a shot. Establish themselves as a studio by making a Gears game just to gain some recognition. Then on a new IP after.

The Coalition just sounds like they'll be doing Gears after Gears after Gears.

They could've always established a second team under the Black Tusk umbrella to work on something else entirely. With the change to a Gears-focused name, it'd say those chances are gone now.

I mean, a name change doesn't prevent this. In the end it's still up to Microsoft. I don't think the studio changing their name really has an effect on Microsoft's future plans for them. I don't think it's a situation of "well Black Tusk COULD work on something different, but since you're The Coalition now that's never going to happen."

Although I don't think there was any chance of them doing only one Gears game anyway. Microsoft didn't drop the cash to buy the IP from Epic just to make one game and a remaster. Ever since they announced the acquisition it was pretty clear we're getting a good amount of Gears over the next several years.

dugdug

Banned
You can complain about losing game diversity but this a common occurrence in the industry. Studios focused on a single franchise is nothing new and this name change didn't change what was already in motion.

This is very true, but, I think people, naturally, want to compare MS first party with Sony first party, and, off the top of my head, the only Sony studio that's specifically stuck with a franchise is Polyphony. Guerrilla maybe, but, all signs point to something brand new for them.

Steel

Banned
Yeah. I had a similar though about 343i a few weeks ago.

Such a name says "you are stuck making this franchise forever or until we shut you down"

Yep. Also basically states there will be a gears 4, and I'm not sure where they can possibly take it now that won't seem forced as hell.

Toki767

I mean, a name change doesn't prevent this. In the end it's still up to Microsoft. I don't think the studio changing their name really has an effect on Microsoft's future plans for them. I don't think it's a situation of "well Black Tusk COULD work on something different, but since you're The Coalition now that's never going to happen."

Although I don't think there was any chance of them doing only one Gears game anyway. Microsoft didn't drop the cash to buy the IP from Epic just to make one game and a remaster. Ever since they announced the acquisition it was pretty clear we're getting a good amount of Gears over the next several years.

That's technically true, but I mean. What are the odds 343 ever makes something that isn't Halo? You have to admit it's probably close to never going to happen.

^This..

Thank you!!

People need to think before bulshiting everything

So they are now Gears only devs. Well I love the franchise so it's nice to see some dedication for it, but people will probably not like this. Also, something Gears at 6pm central on the 15th? Niiice!

abadguy

Banned
Just like 343 and now these guys, I wonder how they can operate efficiently (and with a happy staff) when their creativity is so fundamentally limited and bottled to just one franchise.

Same way Polyphony Digital does it i would imagine. Pretty sure these big publishers aren't putting guns to these people's heads.

If they pulled one of those "and you can buy it...right now!" things, I think it'd go over pretty well.

I just can't see Microsoft not hyping a game in a franchise like Gears, even if its just a remaster or collection or whatever it is

OCD Guy

Not sure the name matters really. As long as they make a good game I couldn't care less what they call themselves.

I loved gears of war when it came out on the 360, the graphics blew me away, playing the campaign in co op was amazing, the online was brilliant, simple and just good fun.

I know the game had flaws, especially online but the good points outweighed the negatives.

I felt gears of war got worse with time, it felt like they were adding stuff for the sake of it, to try and make it different, and it didn't work.

The thing is if a dev changes too much people complain, if they don't change enough people complain.

I'm looking forward to seeing a new gears of war, and am hoping it brings back the feelings I had firstly with the graphics, and secondly with that online gameplay.

Black Tusk did sound cooler but The Coalition sounds cool to me still imo. Logo is awesome too. I'm fine with them doing only Gears stuff. Put all their effort into making kickass Gears games and im happy as hell :)

dugdug

Banned
I just can't see Microsoft not hyping a game in a franchise like Gears, even if its just a remaster or collection or whatever it is

You're probably right, but, I imagine most of the people paying attention to E3 are already aware of the leaks. If it was a collection, I wouldn't think a stealth release would happen, but, since it's just one game, I can see it.

Hell, they just released the ODST remaster randomly on a Saturday.

That's technically true, but I mean. What are the odds 343 ever makes something that isn't Halo? You have to admit it's probably close to never going to happen.

Won't argue that, although I think never is a strong word.

In the end it's up to Microsoft and when they think Halo (and eventually Gears) has run its course. Who knows when that will be.

Top Bottom