• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Tusk Studios renamed to "The Coalition"

Yeah. I had a similar though about 343i a few weeks ago.

Such a name says "you are stuck making this franchise forever or until we shut you down"

People can just move on when they are have had enough of making Gears you know? I doubt they keep people there at gunpoint and force them to stay

Lingitiz

Yeah. I had a similar though about 343i a few weeks ago.

Such a name says "you are stuck making this franchise forever or until we shut you down"

The idea is probably that people come to work for those studios to work on those franchises. Well at least that was the idea when 343i was staffing for Halo 4. Seems like the kind of studios that will see a fast employee turnover but never be understaffed - purely speculation.

MS studios seem to like having a similar structure though. One franchise teams that oversee everything, with a face at the top (Frankie - 343, Greenawalt - T10, Fergusson - Coalition). I would bet that 343 starts doing a spinoff franchise like Forza has pretty soon.

Nzyme32

Personally I don't want to see studios focused singularly on a particular brand / franchise. I'd rather see them explore and make unique content - not that any of this indicates that they can't do that; I'd just rather not see the repetitive prescribed nature of some of these games continue till a franchise / brand is burnt out

singhr1

People splitting hairs about how the game studio sounds. What's wrong with a name change to associate the franchise your working on. 343i did it, now The Coalition is doing it.

Their old project was canned over a year ago now. There is shouldn't be nostalgia for a product that never actually existed outside of a CG trailer of a dude scaling a building.

You can complain about losing game diversity but this a common occurrence in the industry. Studios focused on a single franchise is nothing new and this name change didn't change what was already in motion.

Nibel

Just do it already, like let's not kid ourselves

CGl2_NpUIAA3o_8.png

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I really would like to know how that meeting went with MS.

"Hey guys, so from now on you will only be making Gears of War games. Forever."

I actually like the logo and the name despite 343i having soured the idea of a one-franchise developer.
What's sad about this though, is that Black Tusk Studios was a cool name and had a cool logo that represented something new. We've known for a while that Black Tusk was going to make Gears games, but this makes it...official. I always had a little hope that Black Tusk would be more like Naughty Dog, that they might release a TLOU among their Uncharteds.

I am curious about Coalition and the next Gears, but MS: You owe me a new franchise.

Superflat

Yeesh, don't know about this. The way it's presented, it definitely feels like a "we're locked in to only work on Gears games for the rest of this generation" announcement.

Not digging the name or the logo compared to Black Tusk's

I don't care about the name they chose, it doesn't change anything. What I think is the big takeaway is that line right there:

Looks like this new studio will be a Gears of War dedicated studio. Not sure how I feel about that.

???

But it does and the new name itself already indicated their goal way before that line did.

Is it a good call? YMMV

Crayon

The coalition will eventually lose some people who want to more. That's one downside of this arrangement.

The upside is it's more set and forget. Gears game every other xmas like a clock.

Raide

Haha, people have doomed them over a simple name-change.

You never know, their game might actually be pretty good!

Alienous

In the creative environment of video games things like this are just ... I don't know the word for it. Passionless? 'Gears of War is what we make here'. Just ... ugh.

It's like resigning to that fate. It just seems needlessly limiting, like if Naughty Dog decided to be 'Golden Hinde Studios'. "Should we make The Last of Us?", "How many times ... what's the fucking name of the studio, Barry?", "... Golden Hinde", "Yeah. Yeah, now make another Uncharted".

And Black Tusk just sounds more cool.

Microsoft really are pigeonholing their developers. Lionhead could become Albion studios, rare will be 'googleyeyes studio' etc.

I'm assuming they'll churn out gears of war after gears of war game now. Ah well.

malfcn

They could do a spider or octopus game.

I think it looks okay and sounds fine.
More than anything I'm happy for more Gears.

Elios83

When people hear 343 Industries, they associate it with Halo; when they hear Turn 10 Studios, they know that’s who makes Forza. Moving forward, when you hear The Coalition, we want you to think of Gears of War.

They think it's a positive that they're stucked making Gears of War games forever?

mrqs

The new logo is pretty too, but i don't see the point of changing it. I think it actually is the last thing that matter on a developer studio.

But well, it's nice i guess

yDBnKUp.png

Nafai1123

Banned
"We want you to know that when you hear the name of our studio, you know we're only working on Gears of War from now on."

Top Bottom