• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "game feel" of SPLATOON (and other games, if you wish!)

Neiteio

I'd like to talk about "game feel" through the lens of Splatoon, trying to break it down into its component parts. But feel free to break down other games, as well.

What do I mean by game feel? Game feel, at its best, is when it's a joy simply to move around. It's something special you feel from the moment you push the stick... tilt the pad... tap a button... or squeeze a trigger. Every input is inherently satisfying. It could be due to immediacy of control, wind-up and cool-down, animation and effects, sound cues, or other forms of feedback.

For me, with Splatoon, I think it's some combination of the following:

- The tight jumps in kid form: Sure, they pale in comparison to the lunging leaps you make as a squid. But the kid can still jump over the head of another kid, with a degree of air control that is precise and on point. It just feels right hopping from platform to platform. I find myself doing parkour from pole to pole in the plaza!

- The visualization of shooting: The torrent of ink is thick and chunky and disperses in the air. The arc is clearly visible, giving the bullets a strong sense of motion. It truly feels like you're expelling something into the world.

- The sense of impact: The way enemies swell and burst like water balloons, their weapons collapsing into pieces. The way bombs also inflate and implode, a visual cue (along with the high-pitched audio cue) to leap out of the way.

- The sense of layering: The way ink splashes and congeals on the ground, with a real sense of density and depth as it layers over itself. It feels like you're "building" upon the foundation of the stage. Like you're adding something more tangible than a mere "texture."

- The sense of swimming: Or rather skimming — a unique sensation in games. You swim just below the surface, at a high rate of speed. It's accentuated by the trail of ripples you leave in your wake (which can give away your location, so swim with care). And the way the audio muffles when you're submerged makes it feel like a separate place, safe and subdued.

- The kerplunk sound: This can be heard when you dive into your ink from a great height. It sounds like a golfball landing in the water. It's something many people won't consciously notice, but it still creates a sense of weight and impact.

- The frantic wriggling up walls: It really feels like you're fighting gravity, popping in and out of a painted vertical surface in an attempt to climb as quickly as possible. The payoff is a sniper perch or better vantage point from which to paint, but the risk is being shot as you climb. Tension, and release.

- The trails carved by blasts: This is particular to certain types of projectiles. A sniper snot from a charger... A cyclone from an inkzooka. The way they carve long, streaking pathways through a field of enemy ink is incredibly satisfying.

- Speed-based ink-skipping: The opening gambit of each match often sees players streaking trails and diving into them, blazing forward. They'll leap obstacles in squid form, clearing gaps with enough momentum. One can even maneuver minefields of enemy ink, skipping from puddle to puddle. This one-two setup — run and gun, swim and leap — creates a certain rhythm that reminds me of bunny hills on a rollercoaster — zipping forward, popping up, falling down, popping up, and zipping forward again.

- The triple-analog aiming: The game can be played in dual-analog, but I think most people will play with both sticks -and- gyro. The optional use of gyro allows for a degree of aiming and camera control that is so seamless it becomes an extension of the mind. Subtle wrist movements (on the scale of centimeters) translate to motions that are sweeping yet precise. You can zero in on moving targets with KBM-like accuracy and speed. It feels good just to aim.

There's more, such as the HUD element of the score counter climbing higher as you spread ink, and the visual feedback of your team's ink spreading (or shrinking) on the GamePad screen and your TV. But above are some of the key points I think make this game feel so good at a core level.

What makes Splatoon work for you (assuming it does)? What elements do you see in other games with good "game feel?"

It's no Tropical Freeze, but it feels damn good to me. My favorite thing are the sound effects. Particularly the splatter of the gun, the pop of defeated enemies, and my favorite, the sound of swimming in ink :). Some people may disagree that sound effects are important to how a game feels, but it's right up there with character weight and animation for me.

- The sense of swimming: Or rather skimming — a unique sensation in games. You swim just below the surface, at a high rate of speed. It's accentuated by the trail of ripples you leave in your wake (which can give away your location, so swim with care). And the way the audio muffles when you're submerged makes it feel like a separate place, safe and subdued.

- The kerplunk sound: This can be heard when you dive into your ink from a great height. It sounds like a golfball landing in the water. It's something many people won't consciously notice, but it still creates a sense of weight and impact.

These two are what make the game for me.
That gulp sound when you jump from a height and sink into your ink is so damn good. Its like sound orgasm.

Navigating is the worst part of Splatoon. Jumps are the pits. The best feeling is blowing someone up with a gun, but any kind of walking is just too slow and clunky.

phanphare

Banned
It's no Tropical Freeze, but it feels damn good to me. My favorite thing are the sound effects. Particularly the splatter of the gun, the pop of defeated enemies, and my favorite, the sound of swimming in ink :). Some people may disagree that sound effects are important to how a game feels, but it's right up there with character weight and animation for me.

sound design is so crucial to how a game feels, completely agree. Nintendo is amazing in that aspect of games.

Splatoon has such a strong game feel that I dont really notice it only has 6 maps and 4 in rotation at any given time because the game feels so good to play it doesnt really matter. Swimming through ink feels so damn good. One of the most mechanically unique and polished shooters in a very long time, probably my favorite shooter of the decade so far.

I think a huge part of it is how the mechanics play around with what it means to be a shooter.

Most (pretty much all) shooters are tied to real world guns, which reload all at once in a single clip. This game asks the question, what if your ammo was a meter that slowly filled up instead, or could fill faster if you...essentially dunked yourself in the pock marks made by your bullets.

But your reload button is the same as the stealth button, which is also the same as your "run" button (when in your own color of ink). It all flows together so perfectly. Other games don't have anything interesting happening while you reload because it's so quick, and an instant refill to full. Here it serves a triple purpose. And it all makes logical sense too, of course dipping into your own color of ink would refill your ink faster, and of course you can swim quickly when turned into a squid.

Kind of a bizarre, mad genius.

Totakeke

I love in Splatoon, unlike other shooters, you don't have people running around jumping crazily to avoid shots. It looks disorientating. You can still do it in Splatoon but because of the low walk speed it's not as unnerving.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Good question Neiteio.

I feel like moving in Splatoon is a satisfaction in itself, indeed. It's faster than any Mario game. There's an arcade feeling that makes it more like a new Sega game. The old Sega.

There's the constant tension to be shot, we don't see in a platformer, as well as a platformer agility in the squid form, we don't see in a shooter.

Splatoon is brilliant for many reasons, yet its arcade feeling is probably why I like it so much.

Zemm

It does feel good, I sometimes wonder what it'll feel like with a mouse and keyboard, amazing I bet.

Timeaisis

The camera work they do when you are swimming is phenomenal. Pay attention to how the camera transitions from kid to squid. And the subtle movements in does while you swim. Really gives you a sense of speed and flow.

Exile20

Navigating is the worst part of Splatoon. Jumps are the pits. The best feeling is blowing someone up with a gun, but any kind of walking is just too slow and clunky.
You are probably playing the alpha version cause swimming is awesome in splatoon.

Being chased by the kraken then to turn around jump out of the ink and kill him is so satisfying.

Some guy in the ot thread said his friend jumped into some ink on the wall, jumped out over the enemy and killed while in mid air.

Such an awesome game. Everything connects so well to ink. Everything you do has pros and cons.

Such a brilliant concept and game implementation.

jariw

How they absolutely nailed the animations. Transformation, shots, splats, jumps and dives are like choreography. Everything feels so "right".

The big speed differences between swimming, walking, and getting stuck in enemy ink is a huge gameplay plus.

The superjumps at any time.

The surround sound design.

Penguin

I think a huge part of it is how the mechanics play around with what it means to be a shooter.

Most (pretty much all) shooters are tied to real world guns, which reload all at once in a single clip. This game asks the question, what if your ammo was a meter that slowly filled up instead, or could fill faster if you...essentially dunked yourself in the pock marks made by your bullets.

But your reload button is the same as the stealth button, which is also the same as your "run" button (when in your own color of ink). It all flows together so perfectly. Other games don't have anything interesting happening while you reload because it's so quick, and an instant refill to full. Here it serves a triple purpose. And it all makes logical sense too, of course dipping into your own color of ink would refill your ink faster, and of course you can swim quickly when turned into a squid.

Kind of a bizarre, mad genius.

This is actually something I've thought was interesting about the game.

How your "ammo" is kind of tied to all aspects of the game.

Do I run through my ink covering the floor or do I duck and recover ever so often... do I risk using this big sub-weapon and fear being low on ink as a counter/leaving myself vulnerable as I re-charge.

It is also used to help with movement and defense (slowing enemies down)

JCX

Game feel is pretty much the most important aspect to a game. Nintendo excels at this because they build a mechanic, then put characters in it. Most games from other major studios seem to focus on loading a game with content while keeping actual game movement fairly standard.

It feels so good hitting someone with a rapid fire gun. The sound it makes and the feel of the impact is awesome.

Definitely love the sound and the feel of impact when shooting someone. On the flip side they did good with the feel of getting shot, IMO.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

I heard that sound the first time I dived from a great height, and I fell in love with that as well. The "plop" just feels good to hear, I don't know why...it's satisfying.

Nanashrew

Banned
You are probably playing the alpha version cause swimming is awesome in splatoon.

Being chased by the kraken then to turn around jump out of the ink and kill him is so satisfying.

Some guy in the ot thread said his friend jumped into some ink on the wall, jumped out over the enemy and killed while in mid air.

Such an awesome game. Everything connects so well to ink. Everything you do has pros and cons.

Such a brilliant concept and game implementation.

I did that and talked about it on Twitter. We were in a stalemate from our positions at high ground and low ground trying to attack each other. They decided to make the first move and leap down to kill me but they didn't realize I set the wall up to climb it, so the moment they leaped I went squid and went half way up the wall, jumped out and shot them in the back.

The movement options in Splatoon are amazing.

Azure J

The camera work they do when you are swimming is phenomenal. Pay attention to how the camera transitions from kid to squid. And the subtle movements in does while you swim. Really gives you a sense of speed and flow.

The most interesting aspect of this for me personally is that when you are traveling through ink yourself, you never really feel the speed/it's not overwhelming, but when you see someone else moving, you actively realize just how fast everything is going.

Honestly, for a thread like this, I feel like I could write a thesis on any one aspect of the game's design in a combat situation and still not convey the number of things that could happen or thought processes present in a satisfactory way. In the main thread, we talked about how there's a silent conditioning or attempt at communicating objectives that takes place when someone follows with you and lays down lines of ink to move through or a person hiding in ink swaps in front of someone pinned by enemy approaches aim at the ready and guns blazing to more accurately take down a threat or secure an area. There's also the way movement and the ink mechanics form dynamics in the game that really appeals to me. Everything is immediate and snappy with no dead zones, no areas that cannot be traversed (without them making sense) and with each method of movement being equally full of potential for offense as it can be for defense. Edit: Then I saw your line about aiming and realize just how goddamn rad this game's aiming scheme is as someone who swore by the Wii Remote + Nunchuk design for aiming/shooting in games. I still remember the story of the guy in the OT that was playing the game in a swivel chair like a flight sim and I'm amazed at how curious I am to try something so silly sounding for the feedback it'd give.

In terms of aesthetic design, everything has a satisfying messy look. There's a real and powerful desire to "make a mess" everywhere and seeing your team's color gradually coat the area is just as much of a satisfying incentive to do well as the actual engagements with other opponents. The sound design is fucking RAD. The hit confirm SFX is just too awesome (that satisfying RATATATAT and the explosion like an overfull balloon that takes place when an inkling is KO'd), weaponry chugs, glugs and splatters all over the place, and Inklings let out adorable cries of satisfaction and anguish as they splatter and get splattered. The music is so atypical for any video game yet contributes a strange aura of upbeat fun despite every other corner looking like someone gave the fighters in the beach scene of Saving Private Ryan Skittles rounds. The ink is lovely looking, very vibrant and lush. All of this and I still haven't touched upon the actual stars of the show in the Inklings, a neat hybrid between game play informed design (squids and the squid iconography acting as both adorable in universe labels and brands as well as doing simple things like showing which direction you're moving in or what sort of engagement you and your team find themselves in) and being player avatars full of their desire to absolutely rule the roost and style on them in the process. The nautical theme is also extended to elements of their already bright and sunny world that just lend to this feeling of being taken into a Sandals commercial and told to fuck shit up on the best summer vacation you'd never have.

Finally as a personal aside, I'd really like to say that the blatantly urban punk/hip hop inspired street style is an aesthetic that I never get enough of in games especially when it's realized in such a fun package and stripped of the ignorant tropes that get attached to it in other incarnations. As a 25 year old guy born and raised in Brooklyn, it really speaks to me. :lol

Also fuck yea black Inklings.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
A small detail that gets unnoticed: 2 seconds before the fight starts, press Y and the GamePad calibrates itself to whatever position you are in your sofa. Most games would have offered this feature at the start of the round, not seconds earlier. That gameplay polish.

javadoze

Cannot emphasize enough how great the sound design in Splatoon is. From the *poink* sound where you dive in your ink, to the *putututut* of your Splattershot, to the sloshy sound you get while walking on your own ink... it's just amazing.

Conezays

Great points, Neiteio. The reasons you listed are definitely a large part of why Splatoon is so appealing to me personally; it's simply fun to control a character and interact with its world. Some games achieve all sorts of other things well, but if a game isn't enjoyable to control, it really lessens one's enjoyment in that landscape.

phanphare

Banned
A small detail that gets unnoticed: 2 seconds before the fight starts, press Y and the GamePad calibrates itself to whatever position you are in your sofa. Most games would have offered this feature at the start of the round, not seconds earlier. That gameplay polish.

did not realize this! amazing

Minus the swimming I would cite Sunset Overdrive as an excellent example of this.

I rarely use the fast travel because the traversal is so damn fun.

Nanashrew

Banned
One thing I like to do in some games is rotate the stick to see if my character can spin in place and that's how I know I'm probably going to like the movement of the character. Splatoon passes my tests.

Azure J

did not realize this! amazing

I've hardly ever had to recalibrate during rounds but this is especially helpful when getting in some Splatoon before bed without getting out of bed or sitting up. It's really impressive how it all works.

Edit: Oh man Nanashrew, that avatar is fucking nice. I love the splattered Turf War logo in the background.

phanphare

Banned
I've hardly ever had to recalibrate during rounds but this is especially helpful when getting in some Splatoon before bed without getting out of bed or sitting up. It's really impressive how it all works.

I switch up my position a lot during Splatoon. mainly because I'll start a match sitting back in my couch, relaxed, and I'll finish it on the edge of my seat lol

mclem

image.php

THAT WOULD BE SQUIDS.

Peltz

Yea, this game feels great. Also, dropping down from mid-air and shooting a puddle of ink right where your about to land and turning into a squid before you make impact with that spot feels amazing.

I often leapfrog from spot to spot that way to escape hairy situations where I'm outnumbered and surrounded by enemy ink. It's always a thrill to parkour your way out of danger in this game.

phanphare

Banned
oh and super jumping while holding ZL so you plop right into the ink as a squid when you land is just the best. I'd compare it to a nice bowl of soup from Mendy's ;p

NIN90

Yeah just moving around in a game being fun is the sign of a really exceptional game.
Quake 3 is one of my all time favorites for that reason. Once you really learn strafejumping (and bunnyhopping in CPMA) every other FPS just feels slow and unrewarding.

Molemitts

Most importantly, Splatting ink on the ground is very satisfying. If it wasn't, then the main point of the game would be ruined.

Magnus

Zone of the Enders 2 had a je-ne-sais-quoi to its 'feel' that I think ties in with what the OP is discussing.

And naturally, pretty much every single Mario platformer (at least, the 3D ones). It's the reason they're the undisputed kings of 3D platforming play control. Shit just feels RIGHT.

Neiteio

The gun bob and footstep sounds in the Metroid Prime trilogy make it really damn satisfying to walk around. You really feel each step.
Yeah, the Metroid Prime trilogy has great game feel. The downward head-tilt when jumping made platforming in first-person legitimately fun.

Minus the swimming I would cite Sunset Overdrive as an excellent example of this.

I rarely use the fast travel because the traversal is so damn fun.
Sunset Overdrive is a good example. Great rhythm and flow where everything links together.

Zone of the Enders 2 had a je-ne-sais-quoi to its 'feel' that I think ties in with what the OP is discussing.

And naturally, pretty much every single Mario platformer (at least, the 3D ones). It's the reason they're the undisputed kings of 3D platforming play control. Shit just feels RIGHT.
Coincidentally, Andre on GameXplain saying Splatoon possibly has the best game feel since Super Mario 64 got me thinking about this thread.

Azure J

Since this is about more than Splatoon, I'd like to take a second to say that your game more than likely succeeds right off the bat if:

- Attack animations and impact that are both satisfying to land and clean to the sight. I'm the dude that loves a nice arcing slash (hence my eternal love of sword characters) far more than I should and as such if you have melee weapons with clean arcs and nice looking trails determining the range of its reach, I can be very easily sold on the character. Great attention to detain in hit recoil (or lack thereof in some cases, see Zandatsu in Metal Gear Rising; you're moving through them like a hot knife through butter and it works given the theme of that mechanic) is also a big deal.

- Movement options. Oh lord, this is such a huge deal for me. As gaming has progressed, we've seen more and more games refine themselves to such a degree that no one really talks much about something as simple as moving a character in game due to everyone doing their best with it, but I definitely appreciate games that attempt to sell me on their movement as well as give me unlimited player character movement for my own devices. I kinda blame being brought up with a strong platformer focus on this when I was initially getting into the hobby.

- A strong sense of place. There's something about games that go the extra mile to be as convincing as possible in their presentation and theming that I greatly appreciate. Whether its densely elaborate worlds like those found in the Metroid Prime series full of their own stories, architecture and nature or surreal but fully fleshed out themes in areas such as in the Mario Kart 8 world or Green Hill Zone in Sonic Generations, it inspires thoughts of there being more to the game than just "the place you fuck shit up/race cars/save the princess or prince" in and that is always a cool thing to me.

Ploid 3.0

Diablo 3 is the king of solid game feel. Everything is so right, even at launch when the game wasn't as good with the itemization no one could deny that the control and the feel wasn't superb, myself included and I hated vanilla D3 outside of the early leveling.

Zia

Titanfall was another game that had incredible game feel but was very light on "content" (and in Nintendo's defense Splatoon already is and will continue to get much meatier than Titanfall with the promised updates).

Diablo 3 is the king of solid game feel. Everything is so right, even at launch when the game wasn't as good with the itemization no one could deny that the control and the feel wasn't superb, myself included and I hated vanilla D3 outside of the early leveling.

Yeah, that's like the only thing Diablo has going for it but it's good enough to carry the game. Never agreed with people who'd recommend something like Path of Exile over Diablo. Blizzard has perfected that really satisfying feedback.

Penguin

Titanfall was another game that had incredible game feel but was very light on "content" (and in Nintendo's defense Splatoon already is and will continue to get much meatier than Titanfall with the promised updates).

I like Titanfall, but one thing that I will kind of knock it for... is kind of hard to sometimes get a feel for the environment in first person with your movement.

Still dig the game though

Yeah, I was going to bring up Diablo 3. The sound effects especially make each attack feel so good (at least if you're playing offline or have no lag). Other games like Path of Exile have more interesting mechanics, but Diablo 3's game feel is leagues above everybody else.

Ploid 3.0

Yeah, that's like the only thing Diablo has going for it but it's good enough to carry the game. Never agreed with people who'd recommend something like Path of Exile over Diablo. Blizzard has perfected that really satisfying feedback.

I know PoE isn't as good as D3's feel but PoE has so much build freedom even after D3's expansion helped bring that part up a bit. PoE is just a more interesting game to play for me. The races, ladders, and maps are also more fun on PoE. Looking forward to it's expansion for more build possibilities.

This thread is making me want to try this game!

A couple other games that nail this "game feel," i.e. tight controls and appropriate/interesting animations and sound effects - Halo CE and Super Mario 64.

Top Bottom