• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "game feel" of SPLATOON (and other games, if you wish!)

GamerJM

Banned
This is one of my favorite parts of my favorite game, Super Smash Bros. Melee. Everything just feels so crisp, nice, and fluid. The sound effects, the way the characters control, the way movement feels, the way an attack that hits feels (getting a dair kill as Marth or a rest as Puff are just so damn satisfying), just everything has the perfect "game feel". It's basically the only reason I personally don't like Project M as much.

Thought about making a topic on "skipping" but since this is a Neiteio thread pertaining to game feel, I'll just ask here. :)

Skipping appears to be a precisely timed jump that you do the moment you land. How you know you're skipping is that there is no dust cloud animation upon repeated jumps/landings.

What I'm getting at is, does skipping have any tactical advantage or is it just simply a fun little distraction while in kid mode?

I love the "thread feel" in here ;) Seriously, I wish more game reviewers would talk about this. Reading Neiteio's post, you really get a sense for how it feels like to play Splatoon. If I had to boil it down to one word, it would be smooth. This is the smoothest damn game I've ever played.

Monocle

Oh, I love this stuff. I think I need to pick up Splatoon earlier than I'd planned. Pity there isn't a demo.

This thread is making me want to try this game!

A couple other games that nail this "game feel," i.e. tight controls and appropriate/interesting animations and sound effects - Halo CE and Super Mario 64.
These two for sure. Their gameplay feedback is so well designed that they feel great to play even now.

Another game that nails that combination of responsive controls and weighty effects is Bayonetta. It feels amazing to smash a towering monster off its feet with a huge demon fist. Every big hit has serious impact.

jariw

I love the "thread feel" in here ;) Seriously, I wish more game reviewers would talk about this. Reading Neiteio's post, you really get a sense for how it feels like to play Splatoon. If I had to boil it down to one word, it would be smooth. This is the smoothest damn game I've ever played.

I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread yet, but the 60 fps is also a huge and obvious factor for this smoothness, just as it was in MK8.

Jintor

I don't think it has been mentioned in this thread yet, but the 60 fps is also a huge and obvious factor for this smoothness, just as it was in MK8.

Yes! Until they patched it, going from a game to the plaza was actually painful because it would drop to 30fps and feel absolutely terrible.

For a classic example, I've always loved the game feel controlling Alucard in Symphony of the Night. The way his cape flows and his overall smooth movement as you glide along the ground. His stabbing motion when using short range motion. The back dashing, the graceful jumps. It's kinda floaty, but in the best possible way. Also love the feel of that sound effect when you shape shift.

Peltz

This is one of my favorite parts of my favorite game, Super Smash Bros. Melee. Everything just feels so crisp, nice, and fluid. The sound effects, the way the characters control, the way movement feels, the way an attack that hits feels (getting a dair kill as Marth or a rest as Puff are just so damn satisfying), just everything has the perfect "game feel". It's basically the only reason I personally don't like Project M as much.

Yes. Yes times infinity.

That game still feels like gaming nirvana when I play it.

Neiteio

This is what Tim Rogers calls friction.
"Friction" is a great way to describe it, or at least some of it. The tension and release; the action and reaction. Bayonetta has it with the one-two-three Wicked Weaves and the hold attacks. Bloodborne has it with the telegraphed exchange of moves, where you commit to winding up and following through. Mario Kart 8 has it with the drifting, like drawing a bowstring taut before slinging around the corner, wider or tighter depending on the tension as you angle in or out.

And Splatoon has it in spades. Like the moment you first spray ink in Splatoon, you get all kinds of feedback: The swerve of the "triple-analog" aiming... the scattershot bullets and parabolic arc... the streaks and starbursts of ink layering upon ink. And then when you swim in the ink you've laid down... Oh boy. Like gliding along on ribbons of silk! Skipping from puddle to puddle, turning on a dime, leaping like a dolphin, scaling walls like a Cthulhu Spider-Man. The dunk, the splash, the ripple, the displacement of ink and rhythmic undulations as you slip in and out.

Good stuff. Must play more!

Neiteio

Also, for those who might not see it lost in the OT: The Ink Brush comes out tomorrow morning in Europe, and presumably other regions, as well. (Could be available for North America tonight!)

This continues the rapid release of free updates meant to keep people playing, which so far include Ranked Battles, Splat Zones, Port Mackerel and the N-Zap — not bad for less than a week since launch. And it's going to continue all summer.

I can already tell this set is going to have a great "feel." Appears you brandish it like a staff and swish it to scatter ink. Looks fast, and will be great for drawing intricately detailed phalluses viewable on the GamePad.

CGuZsJ4UAAAY1X4.jpg

Interfectum

Jumping from Bloodborne to Witcher 3 definitely made me appreciate how From Software nailed the feel of combat and movement.

Neiteio

Jumping from Bloodborne to Witcher 3 definitely made me appreciate how From Software nailed the feel of combat and movement.
Movement is incredibly satisfying in Bloodborne (and the Souls series, in general). It's why people are more than happy to get crushed, repeatedly, by bosses that appear way out of their league, until they finally defeat them... at which point the adrenaline rush and promise of new areas to explore (and clever traps/ambushes to avoid) compels them onward.

Brilliant game design. Gonna be hard choosing between BB and Splatoon for GOTY. I recommend everyone play both. :)

Gsnap

It was so annoying playing Witcher 3 for the first time. Such a high profile game and they can't even make the walking and running (something I'll be doing 99% of the time) feel decent.

Don't even get me started on Bloodborne's gun parry+visceral attack. Hoo boy...most satisfying game mechanic ever?

Killing enemies is sadistically enjoyable in the Hotline Miami games. Blood splatters are gratuitous, gun sounds are emphasized in the sound mix, the screen subtly shakes with every shot fired, and the "outside" of the level flashes a few times when an enemy is taken out. All adds up to an intense level of feedback.

Neiteio

Don't even get me started on Bloodborne's gun parry+visceral attack. Hoo boy...most satisfying game mechanic ever?

Killing enemies is sadistically enjoyable in the Hotline Miami games. Blood splatters are gratuitous, gun sounds are emphasized in the sound mix, the screen subtly shakes with every shot fired, and the "outside" of the level flashes a few times when an enemy is taken out. All adds up to an intense level of feedback.
It's always reassuring to know that if I'm ever attacked by ninjas and unable to post on GAF while I recover in the hospital, Xtortionist will rep my tastes on GAF. :)

Hotline Miami (the first one, anyways — haven't played the sequel) is pure crack when it comes to game feel. Just constant flow and engagement, lighting up every neural connection in the brain. A game with similar feel would be, oddly enough, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, which has exemplary moment-to-moment pacing, and gratifying feedback with snappy movements in 60 fps stereoscopic 3D.

And yes, regarding the gun parry/riposte in Bloodborne... Sometimes I'll boot up my PS4 to watch the replay of my fight against Martyr Logarius, just for those super-satisfying blood-splattering moments where I wrench his heart out. :-D

Neiteio

I love how the music gets the "Liquid Muffle" as you travel through ink. It's subtle but amazing
Yeah, I noted in the OP that it makes you feel like you're in a separate place that's safe and secure. (And if you have the Ninja Squid ability equipped, you pretty much are!)

Hotline Miami (the first one, anyways — haven't played the sequel) is pure crack when it comes to game feel. Just constant flow and engagement, lighting up every neural connection in the brain. A game with similar feel would be, oddly enough, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, which has exemplary moment-to-moment pacing, and gratifying feedback with snappy movements in 60 fps stereoscopic 3D.

Oh man, you gotta play Hotline Miami 2 - if only to experience the soundtrack of the year. The game design is actually pretty different than the first's, despite using nearly-identical mechanics, and the challenge starts pretty close to what HM1 ended at. It's the Metroid Prime 2 of Hotline Miami lol. Fantastic game.

A Link Between Worlds is immensely playable. It's harder for me to describe than some other games, but moving and fighting just feels so...right.

Azure J

For a classic example, I've always loved the game feel controlling Alucard in Symphony of the Night. The way his cape flows and his overall smooth movement as you glide along the ground. His stabbing motion when using short range motion. The back dashing, the graceful jumps. It's kinda floaty, but in the best possible way. Also love the feel of that sound effect when you shape shift.

In a similar manner, this is the reason why I adore the Mega Man Zero incarnation of the character Zero over any of his other appearances. The heft and satisfaction of the X series' dash mechanics + a much more visually refined and slick as shit set of Z-Saber animations + a model/sprite that looks refined for aerodynamic take downs and close quarters duels = pure bliss to both see and run through with. Watching as he mows down swathes of robotic fodder with an almost shinobi like focus never gets old, especially as you increasingly iterate on it and develop know how to make runs faster and even more satisfying.

I can't think of this without hearing the satisfying sound effects of the saber's three hit combo.

BdUdSAO.gif

Neiteio

Oh man, you gotta play Hotline Miami 2 - if only to experience the soundtrack of the year. The game design is actually pretty different than the first's, despite using nearly-identical mechanics, and the challenge starts pretty close to what HM1 ended at. It's the Metroid Prime 2 of Hotline Miami lol. Fantastic game.

A Link Between Worlds is immensely playable. It's harder for me to describe than some other games, but moving and fighting just feels so...right.
HM2 might be a nice palate cleanser between rounds of Splatoon this summer. :)

In a similar manner, this is the reason why I adore the Mega Man Zero incarnation of the character Zero over any of his other appearances. The heft and satisfaction of the X series' dash mechanics + a much more visually refined and slick as shit set of Z-Saber animations + a model/sprite that looks refined for aerodynamic take downs and close quarters duels = pure bliss to both see and run through with. Watching as he mows down swathes of robotic fodder with an almost shinobi like focus never gets old, especially as you increasingly iterate on it and develop know how to make runs faster and even more satisfying.

I can't think of this without hearing the satisfying sound effects of the saber's three hit combo.

BdUdSAO.gif
You make me want to try the MMZ series

Out of curiosity, which platforms have it available to download? Are they on the WiiU VC?

Also, the Ink Brush in Splatoon is confirmed to come out today at 7 p.m. PST (midnight EST).

Don't have access to my Wii U now, but Wikipedia says the MMZ1-3 are available. MMZ1 has some good ideas, but the execution can be a bit rough. Zero 2 is where things start heating up, and Zero 3 is my favorite in the series. They're all pretty challenging, but well worth it.

Yushi

ive been spending so much money lately...ive been holding off getting splatoon. But damn ill get it after work.

I already knew it was a great game...i just wanted to slow down spending -.-.

Neiteio

ive been spending so much money lately...ive been holding off getting splatoon. But damn ill get it after work.

I already knew it was a great game...i just wanted to slow down spending -.-.
Splatoon is already well-worth buying — I have to force myself to stop playing — and it's only going to get more and more content with the ongoing free updates (the next one being the Ink Brush at at 7 p.m. PST tonight).

Don't have access to my Wii U now, but Wikipedia says the MMZ1-3 are available. MMZ1 has some good ideas, but the execution can be a bit rough. Zero 2 is where things start heating up, and Zero 3 is my favorite in the series. They're all pretty challenging, but well worth it.
MMZ1-3 sounds like the DKC trilogy, where the first one is kind of basic but lays the groundwork, and the series really kicks it up a notch in the second and third installments.

I can absolutely understand how important gamefeel is. For example, when I went back to playing Melee after playing brawl for a long time, I could absolutely "feel" a greater sense of weight in the movements. It's always hard to describe this to people who aren't gamers, but the key to satisfying melee combat in games is nailing the feel and sense of weight behind attacks. That's why something like Skyrim had shit combat, the feel was like slicing at air. Obviously none of this is actually the same as the feel of swinging a sword in real life, but you can easily get a sense from the way things feel to play. I love the weight and feel of attacking in Monster Hunter personally, although if you aren't used to it it can feel clunky

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
A lot of the animations and sound design in Bloodborne just feel right. You feel like a badass even if you're doing something as mundane as transforming your weapon. It could have been just a clicking sound when you change the Saw Cleaver from short mode to long mode, but no - you get a very satisfying SHTHUNK sound every time you do it. It might not be realistic, but fuck realism. It just sounds and feels good every time you do it. Then when you combine that with combat and when you see your character seamlessly transform his weapon mid-combat before landing a blow, it feels awesome.

And then you have the sound design from parrying/backstabbing and landing a visceral. Sure, the visceral animations aren't as varied as they were in Dark Souls 1, but they look and sound amazing.

A lot of the animations and sound design in Bloodborne just sounds good. You feel like a badass even if you're doing something as mundane as transforming your weapon. It sounds and feels heavy when you transform your weapon, which adds to how good it feels to incorporate transformation attacks into your combat. It could have been just a clicking sound when you change the Saw Cleaver from short mode to long mode, but no - you get a very satisfying SHTHUNK sound every time you do it. It might not be realistic, but fuck realism. It just sounds and feels good every time you do it.

Agreed, and I feel similarly about weapon draw animations in shooters. No reason why the fun should wait until I begin shooting - start by making me feel like a badass for merely pulling my weapon out. Halo CE's pistol is a great example.

Neiteio

Spent a few minutes last night painting the entire weapon test area and then swimming up the ramp... making a hard right... swimming under the fence... falling off the platform... and dunking back into the ink.

Kid-jumps-into-puddle.gif

The last game I played that really impressed me with it's game feel is MGS V. The movement is so fluid (especially at 60fps), and that dive you can do is the most satisfying thing ever. Way better than the somersault.

The last game I played that really impressed me with it's game feel is MGS V. The movement is so fluid (especially at 60fps), and that dive you can do is the most satisfying thing ever. Way better than the somersault.

The MGS series has put me off for years because of the (imo) awkward controls, but man if Ground Zeroes isn't a 180. One of the smoothest-controlling games I've ever played. Every action effortlessly flows into the next.

Neiteio

That actually makes me more interested in MGSV. I liked MGS4 (fracured nature and all) and loved MGO (despite sucking at it), so I may give MGSV a try. Seems the storytelling might be less intrusive this time.

Greenzxy

Spent a few minutes last night painting the entire weapon test area and then swimming up the ramp... making a hard right... swimming under the fence... falling off the platform... and dunking back into the ink.

Kid-jumps-into-puddle.gif

You're a puddle now?

Ground Zeroes' binoculars (monocular?) zoom-in sound is also, like, one of the best sound effects I've ever heard in a game. It's "Sonic ring", "Mario coin" levels of addictive.

CLICK

...CLICK

That actually makes me more interested in MGSV. I liked MGS4 (fracured nature and all) and loved MGO (despite sucking at it), so I may give MGSV a try. Seems the storytelling might be less intrusive this time.

Cutscenes in GZ are rare, and they can all be quickly skipped. Game is immensely replayable as a result :)

You feel like a badass even if you're doing something as mundane as transforming your weapon. It could have been just a clicking sound when you change the Saw Cleaver from short mode to long mode, but no - you get a very satisfying SHTHUNK sound every time you do it.

The weapon transformation animations/sound effects are one of my favorite parts about Bloodborne. As someone who ignored most of the footage prerelease, I did indeed feel like a badass when I did it.

Fallout: New Vegas is one of my favorite, if not my number one favorite, game of the last generation. There's a lot I love about the game, from the writing to the quest design, to the narrative freedom you're given. Unfortunately, its "game feel" is horrid. I hate the way movement and engaging the world comes together -- every animation feels stilted and off, the movement speed doesn't match up right with the animation or even the sound effects very well and aiming/shooting itself is such a chore as to be a pain in of itself. As much as I love NV, I love it in spite of the engine it was borne on. For this reason, I can't go back to Fallout 3. Its content does not justify playing something that has such a high barrier to enjoyment and flow.

I really need to search for a mod that tunes up the way the game plays in the movement and aiming department. Anyone hear of such a thing?

All that aside, I'm frothing at that mouth to try Splatoon. I just need to get the game. And a Wii U. And Bayonetta 2.

Fallout: New Vegas is one of my favorite, if not my number one favorite, game of the last generation. There's a lot I love about the game, from the writing to the quest design, to the narrative freedom you're given. Unfortunately, its "game feel" is horrid. I hate the way movement and engaging the world comes together -- every animation feels stilted and off, the movement speed doesn't match up right with the animation or even the sound effects very well and aiming/shooting itself is such a chore as to be a pain in of itself. As much as I love NV, I love it in spite of the engine it was borne on. For this reason, I can't go back to Fallout 3. Its content does not justify playing something that has such a high barrier to enjoyment and flow.

I really need to search for a mod that tunes up the way the game plays in the movement and aiming department. Anyone hear of such a thing?

All that aside, I'm frothing at that mouth to try Splatoon. I just need to get the game. And a Wii U. And Bayonetta 2.

There was a mod that tried to help a bit with the Fallout Games and Skyrim. I forgot the name of it but they tried to add a hitstop on your hits because in the vanilla versions of the game, there is barely any feedback when you land a hit on the enemy. It's not perfect because it's not necessarily built into the engine but it at least adds to the feedback in the game. Also I find it pretty dumb that you need to mod Skyrim so that the crosshair is accurate. I'm not talking about arrow drop but the crosshair in the game is actually off center and hits actually land to the right of it. Aiming and feedback in general for Bethesda games is not that good.

bomma_man

Resident Evil 4 is another one, especially using a GC controller.

The slow movement, camera zoom, incredible reload animations, explosive gibs and enemy reactions, and booming sound effects combine in something wonderful.

Looking at my collection I seem to prioritise game feel over all else. Lots of Nintendo games (people rag on Zelda's combat, but it still feels great), portal, halo... Rockstar seems to be the only (AAA, I'm more forgiving of interesting indies) company with sloppy (on foot) feedback that I really fuck with.

What baffles me, TRULY baffles me, is how Splatoon is the first game (to my recollection) to have come up with tilt-aiming on a shooter despite the fact that the Dualshock 3 and 4 both have pretty good tilt sensors (DS4 especially, the tilt controls for keyboard input work fantastic) have had it for years and shooters are far more prominent on PlayStation platforms.

Imagine my disappointment when, after having tried the DS4 tilt keyboard controls, I find out that neither Killzone: Shadowfall nor any other PS4 shooter has tilt controls. And imagine my reaction when I see it work so well in Splatoon and screaming in my head "I SAID THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA ALL ALONG!!"

I was actually thinking of making a new thread bringing that up. Sony has had the technology to truly innovate the console shooter experience and it wasn't until Nintendo did the same thing first with the same technology that we actually get a game using it.

Wikzo

I absolutely agree. The game feel in Splatoon is amazing. I especially love the constantly switching between squid and kid in the beginning, jumping forward as quickly as possible to conquer the center of the stage. Actually, it feels a bit like using the boost ability in Vanquish to move as fast as possible: you have to find the right balance between boosting and resting (so that you don't overheat).

Some weeks ago, I did a university project on the topic. I thought about including Splatoon in my video, but had not played it at that point. In case somebody is interested:

Top Bottom