• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

whoa, you can use a 3DS as SSB4 Wii U controller without SSB4 3DS now

Madao

i just noticed this in today's update. haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

it's a neat surprise and lets all those people who have a 3DS, lack extra controllers for multi and don't own the 3DS version play on Wii U.

It's a really neat idea, but a shame the application to do it costs money. Just seems like something where even though it's a tiny amount people would go, "oh, cool! Wait, I have to pay? Nevermind."

PetrCobra

Yeah, apparently you can, with a 1 dollar app. An inferior control method but good enough for visitors when you don't have spare controllers I guess.

It's a really neat idea, but a shame the application to do it costs money. Just seems like something where even though it's a tiny amount people would go, "oh, cool! Wait, I have to pay? Nevermind."

if you really need it, you will probably pay the price gladly. If not, you probably don't care either way.

danwu

Banned
Yeah, apparently you can, with a 1 dollar app. An inferior control method but good enough for visitors when you don't have spare controllers I guess.

if you really need it, you will probably pay the price gladly. If not, you probably don't care either way.

no such thing as inferior controls, It's just pressing a and b.

Darryl

Banned
you can now go through clunky ui and dig through your credit cards to join in on your friends spontaneous 8 player smash match

It's a bit odd that it costs money, although I'm not sure if it's as bad as people are making it out to be. No doubt this feature cost money to develop, and it's hardly an essential ability.

Nintendo are the masters of nickel and diming.
Really? I think they're better than the large majority of gaming companies. See: reasonable DLC practices.

In the years of old that would be a Download Play thing.

...well there sure must not be that many fans of playing Smash U with 3DS?

Velcro Fly

In the years of old that would be a Download Play thing.

...well there sure must not be that many fans of playing Smash U with 3DS?

I'm so used to playing the 3DS version I'd consider trying it out but the idea of paying a fucking dollar to do so rubs me the wrong way, even if it is only a dollar.

rhandino

Banned
This would have been nice, if it didn't cost a quarter of the cost of the game.
kbuH6ft.gif

Oh, with this kind of math skills is no wonder so many people feel "ripped off" with some DLC offerings.

They were always charging money for it.

First I've heard of it, and it's ridiculous money grabbing bollocks that I'm extremely disappointed Nintendo is stooping to.

Doesn't matter how long it's been going on, shitty practices are still shitty.

Shauni

First I've heard of it, and it's ridiculous money grabbing bollocks that I'm extremely disappointed Nintendo is stooping to.

I think he's referring to the fact that, before this, you had to actually have the 3DS version of Smash to use the 3DS as a controller in the Wii U version.

This is the same company that's making me pay £27 for 3 characters, a few new stages and some costumes. Yes, £27, near enough the same amount of money as a brand new 3DS game, give or take £3.

This is a good app for people that need an extra controller as and when though I guess, albeit completely reliant on you having an expensive piece of hardware. I'm surprised this wasn't a free update.

Shauni

Oh, so we're insulting people's intelligence now if they don't like the dlc pricing?

If they're basis for not liking it is based around thinking $1 is a quarter of $40, then I guess? I don't even know if that's an 'insult' at that point or just a general observation.

I think he's referring to the fact that, before this, you had to actually have the 3DS version of Smash to use the 3DS as a controller in the Wii U version.

Actually, that I can kind of understand.

It's a stupid way of going about it, and is something that should have just been patched into the 3DS firmware (as it has been) when the WiiU version launched, but it being a 'cross play' feature, yeah, I can see why that would be a thing.

But charging for it? Fuck no, that's pure, anti-consumer wankery. I don't care how little it costs, that's just screwing their customers out of more money out of malicious greed.

Fuck Nintendo, and fuck anyone defending it. This is ridiculous.

Reset

You have to pay for it...
Can't say I'm surprised. They already make you pay so that you can store your pokemon in the pokebank for the pokemon games.

M3d10n

I only have two pro controllers. I'm sure a 4th player would be better served using the N3DS XL rather than the wiimote.

But it being a paid app is a very dirty move.

Maengun1

It's pretty crummy that they would charge for that, lol.

That said, I can't fathom anyone ever actually wanting to use a 3DS as a WiiU controller. I don't even like playing the 3DS version with the 3DS circle pad.

Elija2

It's pretty dumb that they're charging for this feature, but they charge 2 bucks for dumb calculator and clock apps on DSi and they used to charge 5 bucks for the Wii Internet Browser so I guess this is nothing new.

Top Bottom