• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 kickstarter (PC/PS4) - FINAL DAY - NEW KS RECORD GO GO GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erevador

vbQW0W.gif
This gif has definitely been saved for future use...

bemms

Neo Member
Hi all,
First message on gaf for this wonderful game I've just started.

I can't believe that it came out 15 years ago. If I had played it back in time, it would probably be my GOAT along with MGS.
The fun fact is that it can easily be in my top 3...amazing!

I just started the CD2 but even with having kinda spoiled (watched videos) myself the game up to this point I'm loving it. And now come the uncharted parts. YEESSSSS.

Also my first KS, I backed with the PS4's physical version.

All my best to the success of Shenmue 3.

(Sorry for my english)

Nibel

HD ports are done. Remember when SEGA released a bunch of DC games for PSN/XBLA? Shenmue 2 at least was part of that, it even was on the dev XBLA under the name 'Project Berkeley'.

But licensing issues came up and now it seems it is impossible to get 'em.

Gamezone

Gold Member
The rumour(?) is that the ports exist, is complete, but SEGA doesn't feel it's worth releasing/won't make them back the money it'll cost to print the disc/market it.

On top of whatever legal mumbo jumbos.

In worst case make it a digital only release. SEGA will probably profit a lot from the sales from Shenmue 3, and it`s not secret that Shenmue 3 will sell more copies if people get to play the two first games.

In worst case make it a digital only release. SEGA will probably profit a lot from the sales from Shenmue 3, and it`s not secret that Shenmue 3 will sell more copies if people get to play the two first games.

Legal/licensing mumbo jumbo still exist.

Hopefully with this Kickstarter success, SEGA will be willing to get off their lazy butts, contact some lawyers and try to figure out who they need to sign some documents with to clear the path for a release.

Hi all,
First message on gaf for this wonderful game I've just started.

I can't believe that it came out 15 years ago. If I had played it back in time, it would probably be my GOAT along with MGS.
The fun fact is that it can easily be in my top 3...amazing!

I just started the CD2 but even with having kinda spoiled (watched videos) myself the game up to this point I'm loving it. And now come the uncharted parts. YEESSSSS.

Also my first KS, I backed with the PS4's physical version.

All my best to the success of Shenmue 3.

(Sorry for my english)

Welcome to the site. It's awesome to read that people are still discovering the series for the first time after all these years, and that they're enjoying it too. Warms the cockles of my heart.

I'm curious though, what are you referring to when you say "the Uncharted parts"?

Backflip

Welcome to the site. It's awesome to read that people are still discovering the series for the first time after all these years, and that they're enjoying it too. Warms the cockles of my heart.

I'm curious though, what are you referring to when you say "the Uncharted parts"?

George Stobbart avatar with Shenmue Defense Force banner. You sir, have awesome taste (Broken Sword V and Shenmue III are the only games I've ever backed on Kickstarter).

George Stobbart avatar with Shenmue Defense Force banner. You sir, have awesome taste (Broken Sword V and Shenmue III are the only games I've ever backed on Kickstarter).

Thank you very much! Shenmue III is the only game I've backed thus far. I didn't even bother putting any money toward Broken Sword V for some reason. Probably for the best as it didn't really turn out all that great in the end.

The parts he/she hasn't played before / has no idea what happens in. It wasn't a dig at the Naughty Dog series haha

Ooooh, haha, oops. Yeah that would make sense. Guess my brain is just hard-wired now to think that whenever the word uncharted appears then it must the game.

Its so great seeing the upswing this kickstarter got over the last couple of days :) Still not sure if I'll raise my pledge further or not... Still, I'm planning to replay the first two games later this year (once Yakuza 0 is complete) and for the first time I'll be able to watch 2's ending knowing the sequel is just a couple of years away, which is still somewhat unbelievable!

Backflip

Thank you very much! Shenmue III is the only game I've backed thus far. I didn't even bother putting any money toward Broken Sword V for some reason. Probably for the best as it didn't really turn out all that great in the end.

Yes, the game was a little disappointing unfortunately. Too much fan service. Let's hope Shenmue III will turn out better. Yu Suzuki should stay as far away from fan feedback as possible. I don't want to play a best of Shenmue game.

The rumour(?) is that the ports exist, is complete, but SEGA doesn't feel it's worth releasing/won't make them back the money it'll cost to print the disc/market it.

On top of whatever legal mumbo jumbos.

Hmm, I wonder what sort of legal problems these games have? I have hear it was middleware related, but I would imagine that CRI provided all the middle ware for the game. I don't see why a digital release would hurt Sega financially? But then again, I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes at Sega.

Spaghetti

i think at this point the licencing rumour should be taken with a pinch of salt. it's been often repeated but never really elaborated or proven beyond one post from a member on here.

It's early morning yet, but I don't see much talk about the Gamer's Journal Shenmue video. There's even a thread for it.

I think even the teaser video is enough to get gamers who don't know about Shenmue hyped for it. Spread it around, guys. This could be the catalyst the campaign needs to get to the higher goals.

(I'm not involved with the video. I just want to see this campaign succeed.)

Irvana

It's pretty assured to beat it at this point.

I'd like, but it's not sure at all.
Shenmue 3 will need a final strong boost, like Bloodstained.
About that, anyone know why Bloodstained performed so much the 2 last days of its campaign ?

Erevador

I'd like, but it's not sure at all.
Shenmue 3 will need a final strong boost, like Bloodstained.
About that, anyone know why Bloodstained performed so much the 2 last days of its campaign ?
A lot of fence-sitters wait out big campaigns, but feel the clock ticking at the end and jump aboard.

Also, everyone who hits the "remind me" button on the campaign gets a notification in the last 48 hours.

And press coverage tends to go into overdrive as campaigns near their conclusion.

Alpha_eX

They could easily hit the 6 mil target if they announced Xbox One support. Is there a chance of that happening or is the Playstation part in this an exclusivity grab?

Either way, I'm hyped for it so don't care which platform it's on, just want it to get to 10 mil for all the planned stuff. The worst part of a kickstarter is knowing things planned were missing, when usually these things are kept quiet.

They could easily hit the 6 mil target if they announced Xbox One support. Is there a chance of that happening or is the Playstation part in this an exclusivity grab?

Either way, I'm hyped for it so don't care which platform it's on, just want it to get to 10 mil for all the planned stuff. The worst part of a kickstarter is knowing things planned were missing, when usually these things are kept quiet.

They don't need to announce a xbox one version. Pretty sure this will hit more than 6 million on his last day.

Erevador

They don't need to announce a xbox one version. Pretty sure this will hit more than 6 million on his last day.
Honestly may be better for Shenmue III to stay console exclusive with Sony through release. I'm sure they'll showcase the game at future E3 press conferences, and tout it as a win for their third party team. They'll get good PR for it, and Shenmue 3 will get a lot of mainstream airtime that may help it sell well on release.

It's usually best to dance with the girl who brought you.

Yes, the game was a little disappointing unfortunately. Too much fan service. Let's hope Shenmue III will turn out better. Yu Suzuki should stay as far away from fan feedback as possible. I don't want to play a best of Shenmue game.

I agree with you wholeheartedly there. It's nice that the fanbase is providing the funding for Shenmue 3 and everything, but that doesn't mean Yu should listen to us guys when it comes to designing the actual game. Him and his team members who worked on the original games should adhere to their own vision and stick to what they think is best, especially a visionary like Yu Suzuki. That was the problem with Broken Sword 5, it was all too content to just pander to the fanbase and give them what they wanted at every turn without making any great strides forward. Shenmue 3 needs to be above that.

J2 Cool

Man, I wish there was something we could do to make Sega at least issue a response about HD releases. I think as a series, to give it a chance at truly being revived for audiences, it seems cruel not to attempt to work out the licensing issues. Would feel so good to share this game with friends, tell them to download it.

Spaghetti

Man, I wish there was something we could do to make Sega at least issue a response about HD releases. I think as a series, to give it a chance at truly being revived for audiences, it seems cruel not to attempt to work out the licensing issues. Would feel so good to share this game with friends, tell them to download it.
they won't say a word until they've done their internal spreadsheets and cost evaluations.

i mean they might say something during the last week of the campaign if they've been working on it since the reveal. at this point who knows though.

Erevador

I agree with you wholeheartedly there. It's nice that the fanbase is providing the funding for Shenmue 3 and everything, but that doesn't mean Yu should listen to us guys when it comes to designing the actual game. Him and his team members who worked on the original games should adhere to their own vision and stick to what they think is best, especially a visionary like Yu Suzuki. That was the problem with Broken Sword 5, it was all too content to just pander to the fanbase and give them what they wanted at every turn without making any great strides forward. Shenmue 3 needs to be above that.
Not worried about that with Yu, cause honestly, the guy lives in his own world. His vision for Shenmue III has been so unwavering that he has been unwilling to compromise on it for 14 years. He's had this thing planned out for so long.

IF there is one guy in gaming I trust to stick to his guns and not be affected by outside influence on his game-building process... this would be the guy.

MaxiLive

Patience is key! I can't seeing Sega saying anything soon or even consider releasing anything soon as you would want to release a remake within a 6 month window of the sequel.

Maybe you might hear something at next E3 at the earliest more than likely something around E3 2017. That is if Sega even goes for the re release which I'm sure they will but probably just a straight port.

Gamezone

Gold Member

I wish they could tell us something at least.

It's early morning yet, but I don't see much talk about the Gamer's Journal Shenmue video. There's even a thread for it.

I think even the teaser video is enough to get gamers who don't know about Shenmue hyped for it. Spread it around, guys. This could be the catalyst the campaign needs to get to the higher goals.

(I'm not involved with the video. I just want to see this campaign succeed.)

Had no idea about that thread! I just posted in it to bump it. The more Shenmue threads that are on the first page the better!

Reading that Eurogamer piece on the world of Shenmue made me want to give a small sphiel on something about Shenmue that's less expressed, but I still feel is so well done.

Shenmue’s open-world gets a ton of praise, for many reasons that has been eloquently expressed by many people smarter than me. But there’s one piece of the puzzle that I feel often never gets talked about a lot when it comes to Shenmue, and that is the beauty of the story and the narrative that drives Shenmue.

Not necessarily the story itself (to date, not a whole lot of meat in it), but the ability for the story to convey such a grand feel of epic.

The core simplicity of Ryo’s driving force in the grand narrative. The significant amount of mundanity (aka the realness) within the world and how it reflects with the person that he is (Ryo has to eat, sleep, worry about money, etc). And the subtle balance between a defined character that has a very clear attitude, goal between the moments where you feel like you’re projecting yourself onto Ryo, in the quieter, less story-focused moments.

The game rarely gives you a grand revelation of what you need to do. You essentially start the game having to do the JRPG thing of needing to ask people, find information, but the inclusion of stuff like needing to take into account the passage of time, get a part-time job, earn money grounds the reality of Ryo’s mission so much, and it builds so much context around the world around him.

Even the fact that you may choose to wander off the beaten path to do stuff like go to arcades, or days where you literally aren’t actively searching your father’s killer also feel very real, because that is what happens when real-life hits you in the face with a giant brick. You need money. You need to sleep. You need to take a breather. You can’t always be “rawr where’s Lan Di!?” The game, by making the open-world as real as it was, forces you away from the story of an avenger, into that of the story of a struggling human being having to deal with real life, and that intertwines itself into the narrative so elegantly.

Throughout the game, depending on where you are, what and who you visit, you get subtle nudges to the fact that you are still in pursuit of your mission, but unless you choose to break immersion and literally don’t care for an entire year, the game has gives you both the freedom, but there is a sense of ‘linearity’ in that it directs you to continue searching amidst all the mundanes of the world.

The story of Shenmue’s first chapter on itself, pretty much tells a story of escalation, as the character, Ryo Hazuki continues onward and onward between his time as an avenger and a struggling human, until the story’s high point where the departure of Ryo from Japan to Hong Kong cements Ryo’s path.

And you’d think that once that story sets itself accordingly, you’d struggle to do that again, but instead the story manages to tell that same beat elegantly in the Shenmue 2, where outside of the comforts of home, Ryo has to once again struggle with the realities of being a foreigner in an unknown land, and that aspect of the story opens the world to him, humanises the story’s beats, while not detracting away from the core story. Suddenly finding lodging, which was just a trip back to your comfortable bed at Yokosuka, becomes a struggle. And even within those beats, there are plenty that drives Ryo forward, as each chapter progresses him along a different part of the world, culminating so far with his meeting with Shenhua in Guilin.

Is it the perfect open-world storytelling design? Honestly, I can’t answer that question because I have not played every single one, and even a lot of the recent big popular ones like GTAV or Far Cry 4. But it’s been 14 years since Shenmue 2, and it puts to shame the storytelling in many open world games by leaps and bounds. I’ll just cite one example, since I played it, but Watch_Dog’s storytelling is garbage compared to Shenmue.

Theonik

So can we expect a physical release outside of Kickstarter, too?
It is likely but not confirmed. By backing the Kickstarter you are guaranteeing that you get a copy and are helping make the game better.
You also get a nifty KS only case that won't be sold in retail.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is Sony taking money from poor school in China to make Shitmoo 3 ethical when they're trying to keep it off The One computer entertainment system all in one sex machine! Link to polygon below

Is Sony taking money from poor school in China to make Shitmoo 3 ethical when they're trying to keep it off The One computer entertainment system all in one sex machine! Link to polygon below

I literally went to polygon too see if that was true. You never knows with those guys :p

Chinner

Banned
New stretch goals available:

12 million - Xbox one edition announced
17 million - PS4 edition cancelled and now Xbox one exclusive

This Volunteer English Teacher Program in Guilin is hilarious. How can these kids be expected to learn our language when their teacher is too busy donating to a Kickstarter I don't particularly care about. Read more at Kotaku.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom