• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfox Zero impressions

CrisKre

I wanted to make this thread to give my impressions of what i played of this game on the show today because it really struck me as one of the most refreshing takes on how to make a sequel defying (and in my opinion exceeding) expectations and i think many are not really understanding what's the appeal of this title. I played this pretty extensively today and the first thing i should say it's that being a Starfox veteran, at first i REALLY sucked at it, and got better and better the more I played and the more I understood how to properly juggle all the different elements that make this sequel.

So here go my impressions: This is Starfox with enough new to have you relearn the a-b-c,that feels familiar yet had a level of complexity other titles in the series lack, and it all just felt very elegant once it clicked. There are a ton of little surprises that the cockpit view and transformations allow. Also, the music is sublime. 

When i pictured a sequel, i always tought bigger and badder set pieces was the way to go. They took it in a completely different direction (although bigger and badder is still somewhat present), and made just the experience of flying the arwing feel fresh. It's almost like getting a bunch of remote controlled toys. Due to this, it's not as snappy and intuitive add previous games in the series. Its somewhat slower and requires great coordination. Picture controlling a remote controlled car or helicopter. It almost feels like Starfox combined with some magnified elements of Steel Diver (which makes sense given Miyamotos involvement). The enemies are not wrongly placed (like some people seem to be inducing by looking at videos), by the mere fact that piloting the vehicles is a bit more of a challenge, yet rewarding. Once you kill them there is a great sense of accomplishment in managing both screens and mobility. Don't judge it only by what's on the screen. The input of controls here makes a HUGE difference. The most astonishing thing about this is while all of this is taking place, the classic Starfox gameplay can still be enjoyed by looking soley at the tv (and as a matter of fact it seems the game encourages you to alternate, at will, between looking only at the tv and expanding the gameplay with cockpit view and transformations should you want to look for secrets or alternate ways of completing missions).

It was the most fun I had at the show so far, and frankly, it's amazing. 

Edit:
This videos show on some level the remote controlled vehicle feeling this game accomplishes:

https://youtu.be/k8ooyoMrstE
https://youtu.be/33Sr-oa83VY

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
All I want is Peppy telling me to do a barrel roll.

Not that it's meant to be the main appeal or strength of any of the games, but what's the story and character interaction like? Since this game's more or less ignoring everything after SF64, is that element from what you can gleam taking a more 'back to basics' approach?

CrisKre

Not that it's meant to be the main appeal or strength of any of the games, but what's the story and character interaction like? Since this game's more or less ignoring everything after SF64, is that element from what you can gleam taking a more 'back to basics' approach?

It seems to be classic Starfox frankly. Cheese and over the top.

I've said this ad nauseum but Star Fox is NOT one of my favorite Nintendo IPs(though I admit it's a great IP---never been that huge a fan of flying games) but Star Fox impressed the hell out of me because it looks like a successor to 64 but with cleaner visuals and slicker gameplay.

I wasn't wowed but I was excited.

danwu

Banned
I've said this ad nauseum but Star Fox is NOT one of my favorite Nintendo IPs(though I admit it's a great IP---never been that huge a fan of flying games) but Star Fox impressed the hell out of me because it looks like a successor to 64 but with cleaner visuals and slicker gameplay.

I wasn't wowed but I was excited.

It's one of my favourite Nintendo franchises, it's DNA is fundamentally all about Nintendo !

Felensis

Banned
Thanks for the detailed insight! Can't wait to play it by myself. I loved the SNES and N64 predecessors like no other. I'm really looking forward to this new entry and how the implementation of the Gamepad works out. At least it sounds very promising what you're describing :)

SalvaPot

at first i REALLY sucked at it, and got better and better the more I played and the more I understood how to properly juggle all the different elements that make this sequel.  

You have no idea how happy this impression makes me, watching the stream my only worry was how good it would feel to play, the fact that the game is something you can master makes it far more alluring to me. Can´t wait to give it a try!

CrisKre

graphics look better in person? it looked pretty flat in the streams.

They look good. Butter smooth. Not spectacular by any means, but as i stated this seems to be a different approach at doing a sequel: not merely more flash and expanding gameplay, but really reinventing gameplay to an extent.
I do hope they get time to polish the graphics a bit but I love that they chose to focus on making the game feel new and elegant. This is pure Miyamoto design feel though. He doesn't focus on graphics like that.

When i pictured a sequel, i always tought bigger and badder set pieces was the way to go. They took it in a completely different direction (although bigger and badder is still somewhat present), and made just the experience of flying the arwing feel fresh. It's almost like getting a bunch of remote controlled toys. Due to this, it's not as snappy and intuitive add previous games in the series. Its somewhat slower and requires great coordination. Picture controlling a remote controlled car or helicopter. It almost feels like Starfox combined with some magnified elements of Steel Diver (which makes sense given Miyamotos involvement). The enemies are not wrongly placed (like some people seem to be inducing by looking at videos), by the mere fact that piloting the vehicles is a bit more of a challenge, yet rewarding. Once you kill them there is a great sense of accomplishment in managing both screens and mobility. Don't judge it only by what's on the screen. The input of controls here makes a HUGE difference. The most astonishing thing about this is while all of this is taking place, the classic Starfox gameplay can still be enjoyed by looking soley at the tv (and as a matter of fact it seems the game encourages you to alternate, at will, between looking only at the tv and expanding the gameplay with cockpit view and transformations should you want to look for secrets or alternate ways of completing missions).

Exactly the satisfaction I've gotten out of Splatoon that I've never found in any other shooter, and therefore what I want to hear. Splatoon has much more immediate visual pop, of course, but what really elevates it above a typical TPS experience is the joy of mastering the gyro, map, and squid transformations all at once.

CrisKre

You have no idea how happy this impression makes me, watching the stream my only worry was how good it would feel to play, the fact that the game is something you can master makes it far more alluring to me. Can´t wait to give it a try!
Watch the Treehouse again and think of how you felt for the first time controlling a remote controlled vehicle. It will make more sense.

Overside

Banned
Yup, this one quickly caught my eye in ways previous star foxes just didnt.

Wasnt planning on being so interested in this one...

But yeah, im gonna get it.

Good to hear, bc what you described is the Star Fox game fans have been asking for since SF 64. That game blew people away when it came out bc it took the promise of the earlier game and brought it the next level with 3D environments/analogue controls.

There was a sense of awe and wonder when it came out. Star Fox fans want that same feeling again and it sounds like the new game made that impression on you, OP.

LiK

They look good. Butter smooth. Not spectacular by any means, but add i started this seems to be a different approach at doing a sequel: not merely more flash and expanding gameplay, but really reinventing gameplay to an extent.
I do hope they get time to polish the graphics a bit but I love that they chose to focus on making the game feel new and elegant. This is pure Miyamoto design feel though. He doesn't focus on graphics like that.

cool, hopefully they improve the graphics in the final game cuz Platinum can make some pretty awesome looking games if they could.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I hope there's enough "content" to warrant a $60 price tag. No online multiplayer scares me a bit for that much asking price.

Dryk

I don't have a problem with the graphics, they seem to be going for a sort-of saturday morning cartoon aesthetic which fits the series (especially considering its inspirations).

Neff

I'm still of the opinion that they're showing low-key stuff so that they can ramp up interest closer to release, à la Super Mario 3D World, so the sedate nature of what we've seen so far doesn't worry me too much.

And these impressions are very promising.

Star Fox doesn't feel slow to me !

I always felt that it settled to a more standardised 3D shooter pace with the N64 game. The SNES one was the fast one.

El Odio

Banned
This is 64 style interactions through and trough.
From watching the treehouse stream I've noticed the dialogue seems like it could have almost been ripped straight from 64. It seems very focused on what's going on but at the same time isn't trying to be serious, if that makes any sense, and I love it.

After the cold reaction from the Digital Event I'm becoming more and more confident in this game. Looking forward to other impressions!

Alphahawk

Awesome. Assault and Command were way too dramatic at times and bordered on mid-2000's Sonic the Hedgehog levels of awful, dead-serious furry drama.

With Command thatsthejoke.gif. If you only unlocked one or two endings you may of been under the mistaken impression that the story was serious however eventually you find
All of the endings conflict with each other
and you realize the joke.

CrisKre

Is there a controller set up or is it all tablet based on the floor?
All tablets, but the guy managing the both said there will be a two player coop with one player flying the arwing with a classic controller and another player shooting with the gamepad. But add i said, the GamePad is what makes this game tick. It's integral. You will need to forget about playing this like Starfox 64.

After a number of questionable Starfox sequels I'm glad it looks like they went back to the basics, and to what worked best. This is the Starfox sequel I've been waiting nearly 20 years for.

I'm not sure I understand the controls based on footage, but I'm open to them. Love the walker transformations and the sand level that was shown off at treehouse live looked fantastic.
Star Fox is the one Nintendo franchise I love the most after Mario and Zelda but it has been so long since the last good one and this looks like everything I would want in a sequel.
Excited to play an actual EAD x PG collaboration as well. Those guys are amazing at what they do.
Also like the visuals for the most part. Simple, but everything feels solid. Some non metallic objects like the grass and rock textures need work though

ibyea

Banned
I played it again today. Guys, listen to OP. Once you are used to the controls, the game is so damn good.

Graphics looked kinda underwhelming, but it still seems like it'll be a great game and a fine addition to WiiU's great library. Love that the ship transforms. Definitely one of the high points during their dud of a conference.

GWX

From what I've seen from the treehouse demos, it looks fantastic gameplay-wise. There seems to be tons of depth to the mechanics, considering that you can change form at will (even the Landmaster can fly now, which is pretty cool), the forms have completely different gameplay styles (you can actually do platforming with the walker, which is awesome), and can aim independently from where the ship is (you can even shoot stuff that flew past you, damn). I'm definitely interested.

danwu

Banned
From what I've seen from the treehouse demos, it looks fantastic gameplay-wise. There seems to be tons of depth to the mechanics, considering that you can change form at will (even the Landmaster can fly now, which is pretty cool), the forms have completely different gameplay styles (you can actually do platforming with the walker, which is awesome), and can aim independently from where the ship is (you can even shoot stuff that flew past you, damn). I'm definitely interested.

yep and Nintendo hasn't put too much meaningless stuff, so it will always feel like you're playing in a movie-like game.

-MD-

I think the game looks pretty good, the hate it's getting is overblown.

Will be the first on my list when I pick up a WiiU.

CrisKre

It feels good having Miyamoto back at the helm again.
It indeed has that level of out of the box gameplay inventiveness Miyamoto brings to the table. It's been a while since you can feel his input to this extent on a hardcore game (pikmin 3 non withstanding).

Crom

I wanted to make this thread to give my impressions of what i played of this game on the show today because it really struck me as one of the most refreshing takes on how to make a sequel defying (and in my opinion exceeding) expectations and i think many are not really understanding what's the appeal of this title. I played this pretty extensively today and the first thing i should say it's that being a Starfox veteran, at first i REALLY sucked at it, and got better and better the more I played and the more I understood how to properly juggle all the different elements that make this sequel.

So here go my impressions: This is Starfox with enough new to have you relearn the a-b-c,that feels familiar yet had a level of complexity other titles in the series lack, and it all just felt very elegant once it clicked. There are a ton of little surprises that the cockpit view and transformations allow. Also, the music is sublime. 

It was the most fun I had at the show so far, and frankly, it's amazing. 

Edit:
This videos show on some level the remote controlled vehicle feeling this game accomplishes:

https://youtu.be/k8ooyoMrstE
https://youtu.be/33Sr-oa83VY

Thanks for the impressions. The visuals are meh but it seems like the gameplay is solid (which is what matters to me the most)

Hope I have as much fun with it as you did when I pick it up

Top Bottom