• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End of an era - Yoichi Wada is officially out of Square Enix

duckroll

https://www.facebook.com/yoichiwada528/posts/861079537280134

Yesterday Yoichi Wada posted on his Facebook account that the last day of his contract with Square Enix was June 16 2015. After he stepped down as CEO of Square Enix in 2013, he stayed on for two more years on a contract basis. Now that has been fulfilled and he is out of the company for good.

He remains the president of Shinra Technologies (Power of the Cloud!) and a director at Metaps.

gDbRbJ2.jpg

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Insert joke here about "because of course he remains President of Shinra."

Anyway, godspeed, Mr. Wada. You... well, you presided over my least favorite era of my lifelong favorite game developer, but you weren't all bad and I felt bad for you that day your Xbox 360 broke.

Bye Felicia!!!

Just kidding sorta. In all seriousness, can we attribute any great positives to him?

Foray into mobile games is now printing money into SE so they're reinvesting it into making games people want on consoles.

Then again if he was still in charge all that money would have went into more mobile games.

TheTux

Is it a coincidence that his contract ended on Kagari's birthday?

Kagari's birthday is 16th June like me, right?

Bye Felicia!!!

Just kidding sorta. In all seriousness, can we attribute any great positives to him?

For me, give our Xbox fans FFXI online, FFXIII, FFXIII-2, Lighting Returns, Star Ocean 4, Last Remnant, Front Missions, etc. But I think to some people, this is why he is hated.

Every coin has 2 sides...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Take Lightning with you, please.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Not seeing a lot of love for Imperial Hot here... :(

sXtXeFn.jpg

There's this dude in another prominent game community who has, for over a decade, written conspiracy theories galore over the idea that Yoichi Wada consumed what he dubiously refers to as "toxic berries" and that this was the true perpetrator of Square's demise in the 2000s. These toxic berries, once ingested, turned Wada into a kind of soulless monster, whereas prior to their consumption he was a good man, a kind man, who had decent ideals.

It's not just any CEO who brings out the kind of people who write about toxic berries for over a decade. That's about the nicest thing I can say about Yoichi Wada: he inspired passionate reactions from a seething fanbase.

duckroll

Wada pushed for diversifying S-E's business into MMOs, mobile, and western interests. These are still the main elements today which represent the most successful parts of the company. He recognized that traditional Japanese business the company was known for was weakening in the last decade, and that they were struggling with development and satisfying products. If they didn't diversify their interests, they would have nothing successful instead of just having successful things which their core fans would "hate" them for. He also pushed hard for more efficiency in development from the internal Japanese teams, and he wanted better quality products. He was much less successful there, but it's hard to say that the failure was entirely his own.

Ahasverus

Wasn't he the responsible for half of the troll thread titles in the last years? Byebitch.gif

Joking, I didn't like him, but it seems that his tenure is having great long time effects. Good lucl Mr Wada.

Lothar

Banned
Bye Felicia!!!

Nier 2

From a post on the SomethingAwful forums by the most knowledgeable poster in the games section. link

Yoko Taro must have dirt on someone because how the fuck did this miracle happen.

Yoichi Wada is a fan of Yoko Taro's games. A lot of people think of Wada as some suit who just cared about money but he enjoyed playing a variety of different games from different developers.

In an old interview, he said he funded Nier even though he knew it would be a cult hit at best. Even though he is no longer CEO, Wada has a close relationship with CEO Matsuda since the two of them go way back.

Top Bottom