• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Athia is an open-world game, according to Square Enix president

Mista

Banned
Project-Athia_07-27-20.jpg

Project Athia, the June-announced “thrilling other-worldly adventure” from Luminous Productions for PlayStation 5 and PC, is an open-world style game, according to Square Enix president and representative director Yosuke Matsuda.
The game Project Athia (title tentative), which we will release for PS5, is an open-world style game in which users can freely move around the game world. PS5 dramatically improves video technology, such as with the implementation of light-reflecting ‘ray-tracing’ technology. Compared to what you see on PC, it is nearly identical. By utilizing these special traits, we’re able to create incredibly precise imagery. We still plan on developing well-balanced games tailored to a platform’s traits, including smartphone and cloud-based games, but we will never stop developing for high-end platforms such as PS5. Because these things are packed with the best technology.
Gematsu

ZZZZ

Project-Athia_07-27-20.jpg

Project Athia, the June-announced “thrilling other-worldly adventure” from Luminous Productions for PlayStation 5 and PC, is an open-world style game, according to Square Enix president and representative director Yosuke Matsuda.

Gematsu
SE is planning to announce games in August, i'm curious if we will get more news on Athia. They showed almost nothing. It's impossible to even speculate on a release window for this game.

Myths

When I first saw this, I thought this was Agni’s Philosophy overhauled. I wouldn’t have any doubts either with what they were able to do with Versus XIII transitioning to XV.

Either way, it’s interesting how much Raytracing is a factor in how much closer they’re able to achieve the vision they’ve set.

To me it seemed lile Sony showed this to show there partnership/relationship with SE, essentially like a prime time slot (considering this game doesn't even have a name yet).

IIRC this is built from ground up for the PS5 (I do not think that they are lying like 343i probably did when they said Halo was built from the ground up for Series X), it will probably take full advantage of the PS5's SSD/

Falc67

This looks really good, but also a little rough in a way. Hard to explain.
The beginning reminded me of UE5 quality, then when she was jumping, the environments seemed rough.

Bkdk

That makes me slightly more excited since I always prefer open world games, hopefully there will be a great character customization tool. Hopefully it’s action rpg and not full blown action game.

Arkam

This looked very interesting when it was shown at that PS event. Will be watching this one. Though as many have said....not gonna hold my breath til we get a release date.

But it's Square-Enix. Time to X-2 it! 😂

I purchased the Royal Edition to see if it improved much from the vanilla game... It really didn't. Still mainly running around a big old world and driving about in a car.
Didn't they add control for the Royal Vessel too? Good thing fast travel is a thing in the game.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
awesome. can't wait.

lol all yall acting like you didn't love Open World games just a few years ago. Witcher 3 anyone? lol

tryDEATH

They got to show more of this off, its apparently announced as a 2021 title by the official UK Playstation Magazine. For me it was the most interesting title shown by Sony in their conference along with Kena.

Fbh

That's nice and all but let's see what it's actually like after 6 years of development hell, 3 director changes sand 2 engine changes.

Because this all the markings of being one of "those" Square projects.

awesome. can't wait.

lol all yall acting like you didn't love Open World games just a few years ago. Witcher 3 anyone? lol

Except this isn't from the creators of The Witcher 3....it's from the creators of FFXV.
This is like me saying I'm not hyped about the next transformers movie and you are like "you are all acting like you didn't love action movies some years ago. Fury Road anyone?"

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Is it confirmed that Gary Whitta is involved with this game? Gotta pass if true. Can't stand that cunt.

Rikoi

FF13 versus took 10 years to come out and that game had a name.
This game doesn't even have a name it's a project and will take at least 20 years.

Top Bottom