• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Athia is an open-world game, according to Square Enix president

Open world. Shocking. I figured it would be when I saw the unveiling, I’m really feeling the open world fatigue. The game does look nice though. Hopefully, it turns out good though whenever it comes out.

What do you think that?
All trailers were said to be captured on PS5.
If it was conceptual that wouldn’t be the case.
Capturing a game on PS5 only means that the visual images they're rendering were generated from a dev kit or proximately-spec'd device. You could show Pong on-screen and advance the same claim truthfully. But it does not speak to how the game will be controlled or interfaced with by the player, which is always subject to change up until they start making rounds on the marketing circuit, allowing players and press hands-on (or conducting alpha/beta releases). Otherwise anything and everything can be reworked or altered.

If you need an example, S-E has several you can check it: early FFVII:Remake footage (when it was helmed by CyberConnect), as well as FFXIII early gampelay, FFvXIII early gameplay, and even Kingdom Hearts III. Some land closer than others, but they all underwent changes (and several were straight bullshots). What you see is not always what you get and S-E has a track record for this sort of stuff.

Barakov

Gold Member
Of course, it's an open world. OF COURSE IT IS. I still think S-E should play to their strengths and open world isn't it.

bitbydeath

Capturing a game on PS5 only means that the visual images they're rendering were generated from a dev kit or proximately-spec'd device. You could show Pong on-screen and advance the same claim truthfully. But it does not speak to how the game will be controlled or interfaced with by the player, which is always subject to change up until they start making rounds on the marketing circuit, allowing players and press hands-on (or conducting alpha/beta releases). Otherwise anything and everything can be reworked or altered.

If you need an example, S-E has several you can check it: early FFVII:Remake footage (when it was helmed by CyberConnect), as well as FFXIII early gampelay, FFvXIII early gameplay, and even Kingdom Hearts III. Some land closer than others, but they all underwent changes (and several were straight bullshots). What you see is not always what you get and S-E has a track record for this sort of stuff.

Got any links where previous games were stated as captured on a PlayStation console but was proven as not ingame?

Rikoi

Since Sakaguchi left I still have to play a jrpg from them that makes me scream masterpiece.

The fact that they are pushing so much for remasters/remake, and the fact that they release a game once in a blue moon, makes me think that they know they are not the same company anymore.

I thought this was really the showcase demo of the PS5 game reveals. Looks gorgeous.. I just really struggle with Japanese games anymore... They still seem stuck in the 90s in regards to storylines.

Saaleh

Banned
It is designed for PS5(probably because of the unique architecture), some people here just like to assume the worst case as if they are facts. It was gameplay which hint at a good development speed and it is promising. We just need to know which year they are planning to release the game and we need a second look.

turtlepowa

Banned
IIRC this is built from ground up for the PS5 (I do not think that they are lying like 343i probably did when they said Halo was built from the ground up for Series X), it will probably take full advantage of the PS5's SSD/
Forget about Godwin's law, it was replaced by Craig's law.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

This looks really good, but also a little rough in a way. Hard to explain.
The beginning reminded me of UE5 quality, then when she was jumping, the environments seemed rough.

I think the reason you feel that way is that there isn't any object-based motion blur in it. Not screen blur, although thats missing too. That + 30 fps makes it look quite juddery. If you watched the trailer on an OLED (Or an LCD with really low response time) then this will be even more pronounced (with no motion interpolation on).

If the woman jumping around had object motion blur it wouldn't have looked so stop-motion-like imo. Maybe thats what you found weird? I found the motion to be "too clear"/stop-motiony looking on my TV even during the blurry stream and my TV has an absolutely terrible response time.

Top Bottom