• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End of an era - Yoichi Wada is officially out of Square Enix

Elios83

Never liked him.
He was responsible for the company refusing to invest in the projects that fans really wanted to create instead low cost shitty spin offs and other mediocre titles with the only purpose to milk their brand and their fans for easy money. The Lightning trilogy and the 2010 launch of FFXIV also happened under his direction.
His only good step was buying Eidos but even there it's not like he had a clear idea and was really forward looking since his initial target was Tecmo which refused and then they went after Eidos.
New CEO is quite mobile oriented because of the japanese market situation but he also seems to understand what made the company important in first place and he's trying to cater to different audiences with the right titles.

tuxfool

Banned
What fucking 'era' are you talking about? Good fucking riddance. I hope this guy joins him soon:
cDTl3nb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gDbRbJ2.jpg[/im]
nope, not needed at all. AT ALL.[/QUOTE]

what are you on about?

Somebody should give this guy a medal. That was one of the most masterful acts of trollery of any executive in recent memory.

If you can justify why this guy is a bad manager such that he deserves to go, then there is something to talk about.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Thank you Wada for greenlighting FFXIV, shoving it out of the door way too early, then deciding "Fuck it, lets save it" and now are have ARR and we ride into Heavensward. Agreeing to save FFXIV kind of redeemed him a little bit for me. He also was smart is helping pick up Eidos which brought along Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Hitman and more.

So, there good stuff and bad stuff there.

Thank you Wada for greenlighting FFXIV, shoving it out of the door way too early, then deciding "Fuck it, lets save it" and now are have ARR and we ride into Heavensward. Agreeing to save FFXIV kind of redeemed him a little bit for me. He also was smart is helping pick up Eidos which brought along Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Hitman and more.

So, there good stuff and bad stuff there.

I guess people don't like him much because the way he handled FF franchise and the mess from Crystal tools

ShinMaruku

What fucking 'era' are you talking about? Good fucking riddance. I hope this guy joins him soon:
cDTl3nb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gDbRbJ2.jpg[/im]
nope, not needed at all. AT ALL.[/QUOTE]

You do know that he knew the proper remake was being made when he trolled with the other one right? Just for that I want this man to continue to troll with Shue and Boyes and Ono.

You do know that he knew the proper remake was being made when he trolled with the other one right? Just for that I want this man to continue to troll with Shue and Boyes and Ono.

Agreed. It was one of the best trolls of all time. I didn't even feel bitter about it, it was a stroke of genius, and combined with the fact the game has now been announced, I am happy it played out the way it did.

near

Gold Member
Wada hate is unjustified, he's time at S-E has been successful as far as I'm concerned as a gamer. If and when S-E really turns to shit you'll all want Wada back. RIP!

Zukuu

Banned
Wada hate is unjustified, he's time at S-E has been successful as far as I'm concerned as a gamer. If and when S-E really turns to shit you'll all want Wada back. RIP!
Seriously, after FF 13 and FF 13² and FF 13³ it's nigh impossible to see that happening.

There is literally one thing I thank Square Enix for and that is the publishing of NieR. That's it.

Reallink

People who wonder about Wada's Story with Square should read this great thread from anaron

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=744184

Holy shit, I always assumed Wada was like the Yamauchi of Square and had been CEO forever. If he took over in 2001, this guy was basically responsible for everything after FFX and XI, which is pretty much unanimously agreed to be where Square shit the bed. He seriously was the death of the Square everybody loved.

Honestly. Im glad hes gone. I attribute the fall of JRPGs to him and Microsoft for their actions last gen. He tried to diversify SE but in the end the company lost their own identity on the way to diversification. I havent felt so positive about Square in years. And im not surprised his bitch ass got canned.

Neff

The company and products may not have particularly flourished under his tenure, but he didn't do a bad job, and he's a super-cool guy.

RiverBed

Banned
The company and products may not have particularly flourished under his tenure, but he didn't do a bad job, and he's a super-cool guy.

Personality doesn't mean fuck business and managerial wise. It is irrelevant to love or hate your 'boss'. what matters is how someone performs. He did shit and so does his bosses at SE.
SE is a fucking joke of a husk of a shadow of what it used to be.

Jarnet87

No doubt getting Eidos was a smart business me, I just don't like Eidos games or the fact that Square Enix now spend half their time talking about and teasing Eidos games as SE games. We've got a huge surprise in store for you ! ends up being mobile or Eidos related 95% of the time.

I won't miss him.

^Yosuke Matsuda replaced him.

Kieli

I like mobile games, F2P, P2W, and cash cows.

Because they give developers the cash flow to be creative and daring. To pursue passion projects knowing they may not turn a profit, but having the safety net to withstand the impact.

Top Bottom