• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Week Tonight With John Oliver on Online Harassment/Gamer Gate

Elija2

I'm seeing a ton of comments that are like "B-but what about men???" which is ironic because if it was the reverse and it were a woman going "B-but what about women???" those same people would probably be calling her an SJW and telling her to shut up and stop making everything about women.

This is GG's self-employed job, going over to any mention of gamergate and sounding the alarm to bring in their cronies.

I don't think this is just GG though. I think that there are a bunch of people who don't even give a shit about GG but still share their toxic beliefs.

I look forward to next week's follow up piece when they examine the comments on the youtube video from this week's show.

I didn't realise this was on Sky Atlantic, will watch there on Wednesday.
This is all I could think about once they ran that short interview segment in the middle. It's going to be a great roast and I hope the shows director follows through with it.

"I'm a feminist" is the new "I have black friends".
No it isn't. Have you followed non-GAF discussions on this topic?

Gender equality is a non-issue to a lot of people, so feminists must have some secret agenda, because why should they honestly care about something I don't care about?
As ridiculous as GG's portrayal of Anita Sarkeesian as some sort of greedy man-hater is, this sort of thing is common in our society.

Feminists are ridiculed as bra-burning female supremacists, ugly lesbians, SJWs, White Knights, Manginas, etc - People Who Have Black Friends And Are Definitely Not Racist are not. So no, not even close.

cerulily

I just really will never understand why, if you feel that you are ALSO harassed, you would feel the need to not support other victims of harassment. Like, you can't sit there and say "i'm harassed just as much as these women, so they should shut up." That literally makes NO sense!

Since we're in the gaming forum let's stick to the context. From the source you linked:

PI_2014.10.22__online-harassment-05.png

Just look how Online gaming compares to the other areas on the web. 44% feel men are more welcomed whereas a measly 3% feel women are welcomed. This is just further evidence that the gaming community has a serious gender issue.

boom

Fuchsdh

Since we're in the gaming forum let's stick to the context. From the source you linked:

PI_2014.10.22__online-harassment-05.png

Just look how Online gaming compares to the other areas on the web. 44% feel men are more welcomed whereas a measly 3% feel women are welcomed. This is just further evidence that the gaming community has a serious gender issue.

Well, it's evidence that the gaming community has a serious perception issue wrt gender. The two don't necessarily track to A=B.

My only major issue with Oliver's segment was that it was long on indictments of the status quo, but rather short on solutions. I thought he was going to talk about the issue of free speech versus threats, the difficulty of attributing anonymous comments, or the questions of how to deal with harassment from a non-LEO standpoint—but it resolved into a rickroll instead.

Obviously making sure the law explicitly covers these sorts of threats and harassment is a good step, but that really doesn't do much on its own.

I don't know whether it's sad or not that I get most of my "news" from John Oliver. For some people it might seem weird that he's making jokes talking about serious issues, but I think mixing comedy with seriousness is great. It points out the absurdity of some of these situations when you can be sarcastic or make non-offensive joke about it.

Maybe it's my low faith in society, but if this was just a regular news segment I don't think most people would grasp how stupid it is that you need to send people naked pictures in order to stop people from seeing your naked pictures.

I definitely think that the blend of humor and news helps highlight issues and get people to pay attention, but it also leads to cheap jokes and dumbing down big issues. I probably don't notice a lot of times since they're discussing stuff I don't know about, but I can see how it could be occasionally frustrating to the people really invested in these causes that their concerns get churned in with jokes.

Just watched this last night. What a great segment. That fake commercial at the end - wow. So damn funny because it is so depressingly true.

This is now the official flag of Gamergate (not a joke):

CIZWSsjVEAArTHh.jpg

https://twitter.com/rv6502/status/614264339084800000/photo/1

The group has been skirting this issue for a while now, labeling Ferguson et al as manufactured controversies from "SJWs" and stuff like that.

Holy motherfucking shit balls.

Top Bottom