• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ranking the Batman: Arkham games

stephen08

I think I will end up going:

Knight
City
Asylum
Origins

Knight is still really fresh in my mind but I am extremely pleased with it. Everything that the past games did has been brought in and improved upon and the Batmobile is an incredible addition to the game.

Prototype

Knight and City are tied for best.

I'm still too close to the experience of playing thru Knight, but I LOVED what is there. Batmobile is superb to control and everything else was excellent. Felt like a natural evolution of the series while introducing big brand new elements. A perfect sequel to City, just as City was the perfect sequel to Asylum.

Knight>>City>Origins>Asylum

Outside of Origins I think each game has been a refinement and improvement on the last. And I like Origins a lot but I like City just a bit more.

Fathom

Banned
Knight, Origins, City, Asylum.

Asylum was great at its time but the other 3 have all eclipsed it. Knight has by far the best gameplay and some of the best story moments in the series, though Origins is the best written game overall.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I have prioritized Yoshi over Batman, so I've yet to play Knight, so far my order is:
Asylum > City > Origins. Though I've played Asylum after City and Origins, had I played it first, the ">" would probably be a ">>". Due to knowing all the abilites you get in Asylum beforehand, it lacked some surprise and was too easy, had I played it first, I would have appreciated it more. The game design in Asylum is a lot mor focused and dense.

Origins was the only game I didn't finish. I may have been burned out of Batman at that point but I just couldn't vibe with that. It did have interesting parts though. I'll go back and finish it but I still think Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are my favorites. I'm playing through Knight right now and I like the game with the exception of being forced to use the batmobile all the time.

DukeBobby

Asylum>Knight>City=Origins

Asylum is easily my favourite. Arkham Asylum is one of my favourite locations in videogames and the level design is by far the best.

I'm not too keen on the open world nature of the other games, but Knight has the best main story of the other 3, so it's my second favourite.

Origins had a better main story than City, but it was a buggy mess when I played it and the side missions were worse, so I'd rank them about the same.

Solidsoul

Banned
The more and more I think about it I think I'd have to put Knight last. Its unfortunate because the game is so good. The thing I just can't seem to get over is there are no boss battles.

The other three games all had really enjoyable boss battles. Knight also has the weird tiered ending and just a bit too many batmobile missions.

The series is phenomenal beginning to end though.

beastlove

Asylum>City>Knight>Origins

For me Asylum had the tighter story and felt the most fresh. The move to the open world environment resulted in the story becoming fragmented and introduced many assassin's creed style elements.

dlauv

I'm not finished with Knight on PC. Probably won't finish until it's patched, but I can say I'm not enjoying it very much.

Origins kind of burned me out. I liked the ranking system and increased difficulty, but the combat was less smooth than City's, the story was a bit up it's own ass with Joker and flat other villains, the electric gloves were stupid op and a stupid gadget anyway (the company that ported Arkham City to Wii U and included the gloves there made Origins). I liked a lot of the dialogue, I liked all of the costumes, and the bosses were nice. But it felt like unnecessary retread, mechanically and thematically. We get it, Joker's some deity of chaos. I couldn't even finish the DLC.

Asylum is by far the best for me. Combat works great, locales are still artistically untouched by any other in the series, and it was just kind of a joy. City felt like too much filler and more fantastical than I'd like.

Enosh

Origins > Asylum > City

Because I play on PC, Knight is a null vote for me right now.
was just about to post this ranking too then I saw that post ^^
mind you i enjoyed all 3 of them a lot, so it's not like one end means good and the other shit, I just preferred the story and art style (and especially the batsuit) from origins, so that puts it over the other 2, also had some great boss fights

but yes waiting for knight to be fixed before buying and playing it...

Thretau

I haven't played Origins.

Ranking Arkham Knight is difficult because it had the series' highest highs and lowest lows in my opinion. For me Asylum's setting was the most memorable with Knight close second and City third. All three disappointed me some what with their ending.

In my mind there aren't huge gaps between the games: Asylum = Knight > City.

City>Asylum>>>>Knight>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Origins

Origins actually has the best story of the four, but the way they broke the combat makes it nigh unplayable to me.

I agree with all of this. Well said.

Also, I might be the only person in the world who cares about this, but both Asylum and City had obvious audio cues that let you know when you knocked your foe unconscious for good. They took that away in Origins, which means I constantly had to keep tabs on who was still around and who wasn't. In a room full of 30+ thugs, that's a lot of tabs to keep. And that's on top of having your flow broken by supremely ANNOYING enemies like "the Martial Artist" (ugh) or the big charging dude.

On top of that, the stealth rooms seemed to be designed (much) worse than those of either Asylum or City. Some of the stealth rooms had like 10 armed thugs packed like sardines there, with nowhere to hide.

I 100%'d both Asylum and City multiple times, but I haven't even 100%'d Origins once. And by the looks of it, that might never happen.

Regginator

For all the people saying Origins had the best boss fights, I keep hearing people say that. It's not like I disagree per se, but you make it sound like all of them were fucking great, and I disagree with that:

-
Killer Croc
was decent, nothing special. A bit boring maybe.
-
Deathstroke
was a huge disappointing QTE fest.
-
Copperhead
was great and felt really fresh.
-
first Bane
fight was okay, nothing special.
-
Firefly
was a good change of pace, felt fresh.
-
second Bane
was good (even though it was basically Mr. Freeze, as in you can't use the same move twice).
-
Deadshot
: exact same format as Arkham City, except for the goons you have to fight to get to him.
-
Lady Shiva
: pretty much a rip-off from the much better
Ra's al Ghul
fight in Arkham City

Arkham Origins has two good fights
(Firefly
and
2nd Bane
) and one great one (
Copperhead
), while the others are decent or disappointing.

Other great ones:

Arkham City
-
Ra's al Ghul
: Pretty much everything about it was great. The setting, the diversity, the music, it had it all.
-
Mr Freeze
: for the reasons stated by many. Very tense, especially since you can't use moves twice. Even more tense in NG+.
-
Clayface
: slashing at him with swords, how is that not fucking great? Especially after
Talia
dying, it really helped with letting it all out.

Arkham Asylum
-
Killer Croc
: this was a great fight, so tense and I think I nearly pissed myself. Very high pressure and very good fight.
-
Scarecrow
: Not necessarily great (because you don't even actually fight him), but the whole experience was just surreal. Felt really good.

All games in the series had two/three great battles, expect for Arkham Knight which had exactly zero. Better yet, it didn't even have any "traditional" boss battles, the only one close to it was
Arkham Knight
, which was awfully disappointing, while the rest (like
Deathstroke
) were with the Batmobile.

Asylum > City.

I hated City so much that I stopped wanting to know anything from the saga, as the following games would use the city mold instead of going back to Asylum.

Knight
Origins
City
Asylum

I have never felt the negativity for Origins, I thought it was better than City nearly right away. I also never felt the same about Asylum as everyone seems to. I really like the game, but I haven't enjoyed it anywhere near as much since City came out. I'm tempted to put Origins at the top simply because Knight doesn't have challenge rooms.

heringer

I loved Asylum and City, but I'm kind of struggling to finish Origins. Can't point my finger why, it just feels a little boring to me. The city is kind of bland and the combat isn't doing much for me. Any chance Knight will rekindle my love for the franchise? Batmobile looks fun to me.

Alienous

I loved Asylum and City, but I'm kind of struggling to finish Origins. Can't point my finger why, it just feels a little boring to me. The city is kind of bland and the combat isn't doing much for me. Any chance Knight will rekindle my love for the franchise? Batmobile looks fun to me.

It probably will.

Riposte

I've only played two games: City and Asylum. City is better, improving on Asylum in every way, making it a good effort as a sequel. City is an average game (3/5) and Asylum is a below average game (2/5).

The Mr. Freeze boss fight in City is stupidly overrated. It's literally a checklist. This series doesn't have good boss fights (and for the most part, good fights in general).

sja_626

Haven't yet finished Knight but I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Don't mind the Batmobile at all. Most of the time it feels like yet another cool gadget in Batman's arsenal and the tank and pursuit/race sections are fun, not overdone and just add to the already great gameplay variety in my opinion.

So I'd say Knight improves on Origins which in turn improved on City.

Asylum is obviously a bit different and is hard to reconcile in a ranking with the others. I really like it. But then I really like all of them. I could probably have Asylum either first or last depending on what sort of game I'm after at the time.

Asylum? > Knight > Origins > City > Asylum?

All 4 are utterly amazing though.

Regginator

Origins was a side dish, Arkham Knight is the real sequel to Arkham City. Still, I didn't like it as much as City and Asylum.

DryvBy

I dunno how to grade this. Asylum and City/Knight feel completely different. Out of City and Knight, I think Knight's Batmobile is what City was missing.

Asylum is probably still my favorite just because of the shock I had when I played this.

I don't completely understand the hate for Origin. I haven't finished it (bought it late), but the boss battles are the only non-fun things I've ran into so far.

I would have to go with

Knight
Origins
City
Asylum

From newest to oldest for me lol. I loved Origins despite the hate it got. Knight has been phenomenal

Asylum's story was good, but I like Open World settings.

I loved all of them though.

Sojgat

I dunno how to grade this. Asylum and City/Knight feel completely different. Out of City and Knight, I think Knight's Batmobile is what City was missing.

Asylum is probably still my favorite just because of the shock I had when I played this.

I don't completely understand the hate for Origin. I haven't finished it (bought it late), but the boss battles are the only non-fun things I've ran into so far.

What? Origins' boss battles are awesome.

1. Asylum
2. City
3. Origins
4. Knight

City and Origins are interchangeable for me, as they have so much in common. I'd probably flip the order if I played Origins before City.

Batmobile + very weak storytelling puts Arkham Knight at the bottom. They've continued to get further and further away from what was great about the first game. It's still a really good game (they all are), but Arkham Knight is the only one that I've felt disappointed by.

Regginator

What? Origins' boss battles are awesome.

This is a fable that needs to be put to bed. Only
Copperhead, 2nd Bane fight and Firefly
can be considered good and/or unique. The rest were either uninspired (
Killer Croc, 1st Bane, Deadshot, Shiva
) or awful (
Deathstroke QTE
).

Haven't finished Knight but right now it's vying for first with Asylum. City probably third. Origins a respectable fourth.

Man, it says something about the series that City, a fantastic game, is probably third. And I liked Origins.

Novocaine

Haven't played AK yet but;

Asylum > City > Origins.

Asylum is the best overall experience IMO. City is also great but it felt like way too much of a collect-a-thon. I didn't like Origins at all, couldn't even finish it.

Sanctuary

Asylum
City
Origins
NA - Knight (Have it, but waiting on more PC patches before playing)

It's so refreshing seeing so many listing Asylum as the best too (*or at least in front of City/Origns), considering in how most threads the majority go on and on about how much better City is...

GRIMREEFZ

ORIGINS was a shit sack w/garbage smell and doesnt count. Other wise id rank the Batman game in the order in which they were released.

Top Bottom