• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ranking the Batman: Arkham games

Mowgli

Banned
Asylum
City
Origins
Knight

I really disliked the batmobile stuff. Maybe it was because most of my upgrades went into batman and not his car.

Apdiddy

I haven't played Arkham Knight yet but I personally rank Asylum ahead of City.

I just leave you with this.

"VR Challenge initiated. VR Challenge failed." With Asylum there's a sense of discovery even within the smaller world and backtracking through areas with new abilities is always enjoyable.

Origins might be the "BioShock 2" of the series (down to the tacked-on multiplayer). I will play Origins at some point for the single player (and the multiplayer because I gotta get that Platinum!).

I haven't played Knight yet, as I'm waiting for them to sort out the PC version. but Asylum for now is still my favorite.

1. Asylum
2. Origins
3. City

Sky Chief

Asylum was good enough that I finished it. I own the others and have tried playing them but they never grabbed me. I guess I just don't really like Batman.

Xenugears

Neo Member
1. Arkham Asylum: 10/10
2. Arkham City: 9/10
3. Arkham Origins: 9/10
4. Arkham Knight: Batmobile/10 (haven't finished it, hoping it gets better)

Opening up the Arkham games never really worked for me. None of the games felt like we were in a city. The Gotham area is somewhat lifeless in 2-4. Asylum is perfect because the game world has so much character and purpose.

Toki767

All the stupid Riddler trophies alone are enough for me to rank Asylum above the rest.

At least Riddler puzzles were done fairly cleverly in Asylum.

Glass Rebel

I haven't played Knight yet but I think the first three got progressively better.

Origins > City > Asylum

I used to like Asylum more than City but once I went back I changed my mind. I think Origins was the best in almost every regard, most notably combat, artstyle and story.

After finishing Knight I would probably put it below CIty and Asylum but I haven't got 100% yet so it may take over asylum for me.

1. City - besides the convoluted story, this is the perfect batman game for me. Excellent pacing, dungeons, gadgets, dense open world, cool sidequests and probably some of the best mechanics in any action game I've ever played.

2. Asylum - It's the original, amazing atmosphere and still feels fresh and fun.

3. Knight - I loved it but didn't like the repetitive sidequests and the lack of dungeons. My 2 favorite parts were the indoor dungeons and that probably only amounted to 20% of the game. And maybe they could've toned down the bat mobile a little even though I enjoyed it immensely.

As I said in another thread, to me, the Rocksteady trilogy is the quintessential trilogy in gaming. 3 stellar games with the first two being close to 10/10 quality and Knight following behind. (The third game could have been awful and it would still be my favorite trilogy because of how high I regard the first 2 games...)

And then

4. Origins - kind of a mess in many areas but introduced some cool stealth mechanics and has a good story, good writing and improved character models. But still last on my list.

Garibaldi

Asylum > Origins > City > Knight

Asylum is the purest. The combat isn't as involving but the rest of the game is far superior to the other titles. I preferred the intimateness of the sole area rather than the city.

Origins had the best story by far and the most interesting boss encounters.

City I felt let itself down by cramming too much into it. The combat is the best in the series for me but there is just too much of everything else. Worst story of the series too.

Knight has too much to the combat now which disrupts its flow. Enemy types seem designed to compound this. The batmobile (specifically the tank mode) is a huge mistake and again...too damn much of it. The whole military angle is a poor substitute for the greatest rogue's gallery going. The Arkham Knight was a poor antagonist for my money.

Solidsoul

Banned
Asylum>City>>Origins>>>>>>>>>>>Knight
Knight was kinda bad.

I wouldn't call Knight a bad game, actually I'd call it a really good one. But the thing is, I'm on my second playthrough now after going back and playing through all the others and it's just not as good.

Even Origins with it's problems still provides a more straight forward cohesive experience, with awesome boss battles and a great story.

Stuff like
stopping banes heart and bringing him back to stop joker, as well as Harley Quinns origins, the first meeting of barbara, fighting along side Gordon and gaining his trust
...the game offered so much to the Arkham verse.

Now that all the Arkham games are fresh on my memory it goes like this.

City>Asylum>>>gap of quality>>>Origins>Knight

City and Asylum we're instant classics with City getting the edge due to a much better combat system. Origins was great but had a terrible over world and messed with the combat a bit too much. Knight had it's own problems with too much batmobile, no boss fights and several other things. It's the only Arkham game I've struggled with not wanting to replay again immideatly after finishing it the first time.

All very enjoyable games at the end of the day though.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Asylum > Origins = City >>>>>>>>>>> Knight

Knight started out great but the second half is gutter trash aside from that one Joker bit, which is one step removed from a cinematic anyhow.

Knight
Knight
Knight
Knight

havn't played the other arkham games, and am waiting for the rumoured arkham trilogy for ps4. I really want to play city due to the praise that it gets.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Knight isnt very good but the production values are absurd.

Asylum was the best because it wasnt overally convoluted. Knight just adds so much shit to the plate that i am a few hours in and already had my fill.

It is like they forgot to make things fun. Just more of, here is a bunch of shit to do.

rmanthorp

6gpVClU.gif

Asylum
Knight
Origins
City

It's the correct order.

Goose_7

Banned
I've mentioned this in previous posts before but having played both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City the weekend before Arkham Knight released there is an appreciation of the refinement and additions that Rocksteady has made to the Arkham formula.

Origins gets an earful but it's a solid game in its own right. Only when compared against Rocksteady's body of work does it fall short. Origins actually -imo- has the more cohesive and interesting narrative then all of Rocksteady's games. Yes even Arkham Knight which rocked my world nearly 2 weeks ago.

Having said all that this is my list.

Arkham Knight
Arkham City
Arkham Origins
Arkham Asylum

0YNTzPm.jpg

kinggroin

Banned
Origins > City = Knight > Asylum

Detective mode scenarios, amazing boss battles, and great storyline puts Origin ahead of them all.

Zakalwe

Banned
After beating Knight, my opinion remains the same:

Knight
Asylum
City

Not played Origins yet.

-

Knight just felt like the most well rounded Batman experience. This series has always been incredibly video gamey, so the tank sections feel perfectly in line with the combat and traversal and predator sections of the previous games.

Knight is a great game, and all the better for the inclusion of the Batmobile which is an all round fantastic mechanic. It's a shame they only introduced it now in their final game and didn't have a chance to expand the combat in the next game, but Origins has a lot of love here so I don't doubt it will happen in the future.

Asylum is a great Batman experience, and I love the metroid design, but after Knight it just doesn't offer enough to place it first.

City is still great overall, but the open world was incredibly dull. And while Knight doesn't do /much/ more with it, the design felt more like a place and the Batmobile gave it more reason to be there. I do love the boss battles from City though, especially Freeze and Ra's, I missed them in Knight.

Great game. Can't wait for the fix on pc so I can play through NG+ at 1080/60.

Naminator

Banned
Man so many Origin haters here, funny how much weight a certain developer carries when it comes to peoples opinion on a game.

For me.

Origins
Asylum
City

Didn't play Knight yet because Rocksteady still didn't fix that piece of shit on the PC.

Asylum >>> Knight ~ Origins > City

Asylum is still the better game. I think Origins has more flaws than Knight, but I found myself enjoying them equally. City is still a good game but it's my least favorite entry by far.

Knight > Asylum > Blackgate > City.

I haven't played Origins despite having it on Steam. Maybe if it's included in an Arkham collection on PS4 I'll play it. I want trophies.

I really didn't like City. It felt very restrictive and bloated.

I never finished Blackgate because I got distracted but from what I've played it was a great metroidvanian.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
It's difficult to rank them in overall, I'd say that each game has different strengths and weaknesses.Still haven't progressed much in Knight's story and the game is not yet content complete as there's still DLC on the way but so far this is how I would rank them.

Story:Origins>Knight>Asylum>City
Audio/VA:Knight>Asylum=City>Origins
Gameplay:City>Knight>Origins>Asylum
Setting:Asylum>City>Knight>Origins
Content/Replayability:City>Origins>Knight>Asylum

Origins is the only game that truly felt like a Batman comic. Rocksteady's games feel more like Films/Graphic Novels. Also I hated how Rocksteady handled certain characters like Bane, thankfully WB Montreal did them justice in Origins.

City hands down beat all the other games in the gameplay and content department. It improved Asylum's combat system so much that it became an industry standard for Western developers, it also had some great boss fights, excellent level design and a lot of replayability thanks to the Challenge mode. Origins copy-pasted City but introduced two new gadgets that ruined the challenge of the game in the combat and predator sections (shock gloves and remote claw) and also had that stupid Dark Knight System which locked a lot of upgrades behind a ridiculous challenge system. Knight made some small improvements in City's already excellent gameplay but the game's new main feature, the Batmobile has still to win me over. It was cool at first and I didn't mind the Tank Bullet Hell sections, but Rocksteady overdid it to the point that Batman feels like a side accessory to the Batmobile. Another big disappointment with Knight was that they pretty much scrapped the Challenge mode which gave legs to the previous 3 games

If Knight didn't have those insane production values it would probably be my least favorite of the bunch. I still hope that the DLC will make up for the game's flaws

watdaeff4

Story: Origins>Knight>>Asylum>>City

Origins and Knight have the best stories IMO by a good margin.

Overall Fun: Origins>City=Asylum>> Knight

I'm one of the dissenting opinions here but I loved Origins the most. The story, side missions, boss battles made it the best IMO. Just finished Knight and enjoyed it the least (though I did wind up enjoying it very much). Thought most of the side missions were Meh and thought it focused a bit too much on the Batmobile. I also think series fatigue played a role.

City > Asylum = Origins > Knight

I'd put City a fraction ahead of Asylum and Origins. Knight just isn't as good. And the Batmobile slows the flow of the game down too much for me.

nded

Asylum >>> Origins = City >>> Knight

Not that I hate Knight or anything. There's just a lot of stuff there and most of it is basically pushed aside by the Batmobile. They're all very good games.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Asylum is far and away the best. You can disagree, but you'd be wrong.

Asylum >>>>>>>>>>> whatever. Knight without the bat-tank stuff and awful boss battles, but it's there, so I really don't have strong preferences here either way.

Eidan

Man, I'm consistently baffled when I see people rank Asylum above other entries in the series, especially City. There isn't a single thing that Asylum does better than subsequent entries (haven't played Knight yet). I assume it can be chalked up to some people's view that a small environment equals a "tighter" experience. Which means very little to me.

Anustart

Have only played city and asylum. City > Asylum. Asylum is good, but is held back by a pretty lame metroid style. It just doesn't work well. I didn't feel compelled to explore like in a metroid because their was nothing to find.

All the metroid feel did was bar progress behind mandatory upgrades.

Duxxy3

I still need to play through origins, but I would probably go City>Asylum>Knight. Knight just added more and more "stuff" to the mix and it didn't all work.

Blader

Asylum impressed me the most (though this probably predominantly because it was first), and I thought Knight was a better version of City than City. Skipped Origins.

Asylum > Knight > City

For me it goes:

City > Asylum > Origins > Knight

Sorry but the Military stuff (including bat tank) and the lack of iconic villains (wru Bane, Ra'z, Croc, Freeze and many more) is a poor way to end this triology.
Sidequests weren't interesting either. Shame :(

So after beating Arkham Knight:

1. Asylum
2. City
3. Origins
4. Knight

I liked the Metroidvania/non open world of the first one best. Plus the story was amazing. City was great as we got to see what the Arkham games were like in an open world. Origins got a little stale but I did still enjoy it. Arkham Knight had too much Batmobile and not enough of what I liked in the series. That said, I really enjoyed all 4 of the games.

bryanee

1. Arkham Knight
2. Arkham City
3. Arkham Asylum
4. Arkham Origins - best use of detective vision though.

Man, I'm consistently baffled when I see people rank Asylum above other entries in the series, especially City. There isn't a single thing that Asylum does better than subsequent entries (haven't played Knight yet). I assume it can be chalked up to some people's view that a small environment equals a "tighter" experience. Which means very little to me.

I agree fully. I go into it here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=928447

Knight continues to do things better than previous games, augmenting the core gameplay considerably, but people will lambaste it for it saying "there's too much" added.

Top Bottom