• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii: Dragon Quest 11 will be an offline game, for home consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
As with a lot of recent game announcements, it seems like there's kind of a mindset/realization that the home console market is in trouble so now is the time to do let out the big guns and see what happens. Horii might also realize he' and especially Sugiyama are getting older and decided to just make the game he personally wants to play while he still can.

Well, I was more talking about the eventual sceario where the game is only on home consoles (PS4/PS3, or just PS4), never had anything against PS4 getting it, I was expecting it anyway. But just PS4 seems to be way too risky. That's why I'm expecting another SKU (a handheld one, probably NX at this point) to appear in the future. But your last sentence about Horii and Sugiyama's age...how old are them? O_O

People may be thinking this is an odd choice over 3DS but if I'm honest, sometimes install Base isn't everythinG. You know this.

The console market in Japan isn't healthy right now and Square Enix seems intent on not letting it collapse completely. A Dragon Quest XI for consoles could help massively.

Also, if it is on PS4, this could be a good chance for the series to get another shot at growing it's global reach, given how well PS4 is doing and how it's being positioned as THE place to go for JRPGS.

Horii isn't getting any youner either. I imagine he'd want this to be something ambitious and less driven by what the market conditions are and more about the kind of game he wants to make. Exciting stuff. PS3/PS4 is the likely platform mix.

Aeana

Well, I was more talking about the eventual sceario where the game is only on home consoles (PS4/PS3, or just PS4), never had anything against PS4 getting it, I was expecting it anyway. But just PS4 seems to be way too risky. That's why I'm expecting another SKU (a handheld one, probably NX at this point) to appear in the future. But your last sentence about Horii and Sugiyama's age...how old are them? O_O

Sugiyama is 84 years old. Horii is younger, 61, but still probably thinking about winding down. Also probably thinking about the series after Sugiyama is no longer able to work on it.

Dark_castle

Imagine the next gen cel-shaded Dragon Quest on PS4.

lily-bergamo_2013_09-6gi6o.jpg

Horii is 61 and Sugiyama is 84!

Interestingly enough, he mentions they had PS4 in mind from the start for DQ Heroes and decided afterwards to have it running on PS3.

Edit: he = the Musou guy, not Horii.

crinale

Interestingly enough, he mentions they had PS4 in mind from the start for DQ Heroes and decided afterwards to have it running on PS3.

Well as for DQH, PS4 version is 1080P and 60fps, while PS3 version has 720P and 30fps, so it's clear which was the lead platform..

That is quite naif, in my opinion. As long as DQXI will be a traditional DQ mainline game, and given the fact that a market for jRPGs is unproven on PS4 in the West, an exclusive PS4 game is quite risky. Unless, of course, there would be a port for PC and mobile phones down the line, that would increase the lifetime of the product.

Ah yes, if all goes wrong with DQ11 on PS4 then there is always the promised land that is Dragon Quest sales on PC.

Load up this game on PS3/PS4/Wii U and whateverfucking else SE. Dragon Quest had seen such little evolution this past decade that even on PS3 the game would be a major step up.

Atreides

To the first bolded: No combination of home consoles right now can support the sales of mainline DQ right now. If they were concerned about sales to that extent, this would be on 3DS at least.
That's a good reason to put the game on as many home consoles as they can, so the sales are affected less. That they are willing to take a risk doesn't mean that they will take any risk. A 3DS version would force the game to be designed around the 3DS, since it would be the less powerful platform. That's not the case with WiiU.

To the second bolded: What makes you think it is? Do we have an official quote on that?

I was sure that I had read that they designed the WiiU enviroment to be used in future platforms (this was before the NX was revealed), but I can't find a quote for it. Perhaps I was wrong.

Great news! I think they will do a PlayStation 3-PlayStation 4 combo or just PlayStation 4, maybe PlayStation 4 and Xbox One if they already think about an occidental release... So many options! Wii U? No chance at all.

Imagine the next gen cel-shaded Dragon Quest on PS4.

lily-bergamo_2013_09-6gi6o.jpg

This trailer was CGI, no? It isn't a good exemple to promote cel-shaded PlayStation 4 games, unless they said it was running on a PlayStation 4, don't remember well because I let it die.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
(On Dragon Quest for smartphones) "I think games should be designed for the platforms they're on. Dragon Quest 11 is designed for home consoles."

Technically he's differentiating homes consoles from smartphones in terms of game design of a Dragon Quest game. Portable consoles have the same game design as home console versions of Dragon Quest (seeing as almost all of the traditional games are available on a handheld system in some form) so he could be being sneaky here.

But having replayed (and finally beaten this time) Dragon Quest VIII recently I welcome Dragon Quest on the big screen again.

Some Nobody

Okay, is this good enough for everyone now? He's been saying this for at least a year, possibly longer. Only thing to wonder now is when they officially unveil the game.

Also: PS3/PS4 almost guaranteed.

To expand on some of the stuff, sorry for the loose translation but this is coming from the French interview.

Bolded are questions, the rest is Horii.

What about Dragon Quest XI ? Are preparing something special to celebrate the series 30th anniversary? Will this be another online game ?

Horii (laughs) : Nothing is set ! But yes, we're preparing something. We can't tell you anything for now, but we're working on it. One thing is certain : Dragon Quest XI will be an offline game. More info will be given soon on this subject.

Any chance Dragon Quest VII and VIII could release in Europe ? Many fans want them to.

Horii (laughs) : We're hearing and reading a lot of very passionate fans about these games, and we're thinking about it.

About FF7 and potential DQ remakes:
There are no plans at the moment but this is something we could think about in the future. But... (laughs) some small things could happen, yes. [the interviewer added a note here about the upcoming Famitsu announcement

On smartphone gaming :
I don't think smartphone gaming's success should be a reason to only make games for smartphones. I really believe games must be designed for various platforms.Dragon Quest XI, for example, will be designed for home consoles as it will be designed to use a controller.

Edit: apparently, Horii (laughs) is a thing.
Anyone feel free to correct any inaccuracies or liberties I took.

Aeana

Technically he's differentiating homes consoles from smartphones in terms of game design of a Dragon Quest game. Portable consoles have the same game design as home console versions of Dragon Quest (seeing as almost all of the traditional games are available on a handheld system in some form) so he could be being sneaky here.

But having replayed (and finally beaten this time) Dragon Quest VIII recently I welcome Dragon Quest on the big screen again.

This is just further compounding the sentiment. He's been talking about consoles for a while with the game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Dragon Quest IX would benefit from a remake or port simply because half the content is lost due to WiFi Connection's demise.*

*well technically you could probably use an action replay code to unlock it.

He's unequivocal about designing it with a controller in mind so I really don't think it's a portable game.

Darius

Banned
As with a lot of recent game announcements, it seems like there's kind of a mindset/realization that the home console market is in trouble so now is the time to do let out the big guns and see what happens. Horii might also realize he' and especially Sugiyama are getting older and decided to just make the game he personally wants to play while he still can.

Sure, either that or large amount of moneyhats. I wonder what´s more realistic considering there actually is Sonys direct involvement in several SQEX announcements and the absolute pathetic state of the PS4 in Japan, which makes Japanese centric announcements even more suspicious.

Something that has been ignored is that Sony sold their shares in SQEX right before this rekindled focus. It would be interesting to know who largely bought these up.

EDIT: According to an IGN article (Shinji Hashimoto quote also talking about giving favours), it seems it was an agreement with SQEX themselves with Sony selling to SMBC Nikko Securities. "The expected sale price is significantly lower than the Y16 billion (nearly US$157 million) that the shares are currently worth, according to their current market value." This would explain quite alot.

To expand on some of the stuff, sorry for the loose translation but this is coming from the French interview.

Bolded are questions, the rest is Horii.

About FF7 and potential DQ remakes:

On smartphone gaming :

Edit: apparently, Horii (laughs) is a thing.
Anyone feel free to correct any inaccuracies or liberties I took.

Thanks for that!

Square Enix is in a roll. And there is no way this won't come to the west if it is on PS4. Even if Sony have to do it themselves.
A home console game generally means it's coming west. The only scenario where this isn't happening is a WiiU exclusive that releases at the end of the console's life.

crinale

Well tbf he has been saying people may want to play DQ on "big screen", which could mean (new)3DS LL models. Even though some staff like Ichimura was heavily hinting DQ to be released on home console (he was saying SE is aware of some people were disappointed by DQ9 being handheld game), I think this is the first time Horii himself confirmed this.

i've been waiting for this since the original DQVIII release. i think most people would be cool with upgraded DQVIII graphics. remake the other games in this same style too and people might notice the games more again in the west. thanks.

Oregano

I hope the series won't skip nintendo for its 30th anniversary. 8 out of 10 iterations were on these platforms.

It probably will which is a bit odd considering DQVII and VIII will now both be on Nintendo systems too. Of course as they said when they announced DQ Heroes the franchise is "returning home".

Glass Rebel

That's a good reason to put the game on as many home consoles as they can, so the sales are affected less. That they are willing to take a risk doesn't mean that they will take any risk. A 3DS version would force the game to be designed around the 3DS, since it would be the less powerful platform. That's not the case with WiiU.

I just don't think it makes sense to spread themselves thin on 4+ hardware configurations, especially if it doesn't add substantially to the sales. I think their reasoning will be PS3 primarily for Japan and PS4 for the West.

I was sure that I had read that they designed the WiiU enviroment to be used in future platforms (this was before the NX was revealed), but I can't find a quote for it. Perhaps I was wrong.

I am fairly certain that they were very vague about what tech they would use, it might as well just be the streaming stuff. If what we know is true, it makes 0 sense to go with a PowerPC based architecture.

It probably will which is a bit odd considering DQVII and VIII will now both be on Nintendo systems too. Of course as they said when they announced DQ Heroes the franchise is "returning home".

It would be kind of sad. Lots of people discover DQ with 8 (myself included) but the roots and most of the life of the series has been on Nintendo platforms. Saying PS sytems are "home" of DQ is absurd. as you said, they even released the missing games on 3DS.

If nintendo lets DQ go, it would be a disaster.

SE has been talking about saving the Japanese console industry and increasing PS4 sales all last month. This is their last and best card to play so I'm not surprised.

It would be kind of sad. Lots of people discover DQ with 8 (myself included) but the roots and most of the life of the series has been on Nintendo platforms. Saying PS sytems are "home" of DQ is absurd. as you said, they even released the missing games on 3DS.

If nintendo lets DQ go, it would be a disaster

If nintendo lets DQ go, it would be a disaster

DQ is always releasing on the plattform, that sold the most. At least that's what I always thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom