• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii: Dragon Quest 11 will be an offline game, for home consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this actually true for niche jRPGs? 3DS saw plenty of great successes in the genre Western-wise: Bravely Default, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Fire Emblem Awakening. Also, it's cheaper to develop a 3DS game overall, and has a huge market in Japan.

PS4 is still unproven in this market, and also bear in mind that DQ struggled to sell a million units on the most successful hardware ever, i.e. PS2 and DS (and those were sure platforms with plenty of jRPG-lovers).
From a localization standpoint, you have to look at how 3DS and PS4 will evolve in the west over the next 18 months / 2 years. PS4 will have outsold 3DS over this period and 3DS will be out or on the way out. So yes, I can see how one offers more sales potential than the other in the West.

Faustek

I don't care what has to be done but for the love of all things living.
At least put it on a region free system so I don't have to wait for the never coming localisation.

PS4 is still unproven in this market, and also bear in mind that DQ struggled to sell a million units on the most successful hardware ever, i.e. PS2 and DS (and those were sure platforms with plenty of jRPG-lovers).

Huh? I thought VIII managed nearly a mil in Europe alone...yeah I was apparently wrong.

NoKisum

Considering he didn't mention anything about western localization, I'm gonna assume there won't be any and not get my hopes up.

Kyoufu

Considering he didn't mention anything about western localization, I'm gonna assume there won't be any and not get my hopes up.

Let him announce the game first. They didn't say anything about a localisation until DQH was released.

Loudninja

Considering he amount of support on the PS4 I going to assume atleast the PS4.

Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest Heroes 1
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
World of Final Fantasy
Nier 2
Kingdom Hearts 3
Final Fantasy XIV

Being on a home console pretty much gurantees a western release, but the game hasnt officially been announced/revealed yet so they wouldnt be talking about a western localisation either way yet.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
wow, pretty megaton confirmation. rip 3ds, and nintendo DQ era. this will pair with SE will of pushing ps4 sales

NoKisum

Let him announce the game first. They didn't say anything about a localisation until DQH was released.

Then they'll probably use DQH to gauge the sales of the series overseas to see if DQXI is worth bringing over. Which, again, won't get my hopes up.

From a localization standpoint, you have to look at how 3DS and PS4 will evolve in the west over the next 18 months / 2 years. PS4 will have outsold 3DS over this period and 3DS will be out or on the way out. So yes, I can see how one offers more sales potential than the other in the West.

3DS release schedule made it clear that the platform is not going away in 2016. Then, DQ often came late in a platform lifecycle so it would not be unsurprising.

Huh? I thought VIII managed nearly a mil in Europe alone...yeah I was apparently wrong.

As far as I know, both games are slightly above the million mark in the West.

wow, pretty megaton confirmation. rip 3ds, and nintendo DQ era. this will pair with SE will of pushing ps4 sales

RIP 3DS? lol

sense

Considering he amount of support on the PS4 I going to assume atleast the PS4.

Star Ocean 5
Dragon Quest Heroes 1
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
World of Final Fantasy
Nier 2
Kingdom Hearts 3

this is what you call an unprecedented partnership!

this will be my first dragon quest unless there is an hd remake or something released before it on ps4. I love turn based strategy games especially good looking ones!!

Kyoufu

Then they'll probably use DQH to gauge the sales of the series overseas to see if DQXI is worth bringing over. Which, again, won't get my hopes up.

As Aeana already stated, if DQH does well enough then they'll take the risk themselves and if not, then Sony or whoever will step in.

Assuming this is a PS3/PS4 title, then I'd bet my right hand that it would be localised.

Kama_1082

Banned
As Aeana already stated, if DQH does well enough then they'll take the risk themselves and if not, then Sony or whoever will step in.

Assuming this is a PS3/PS4 title, then I'd bet my right hand that it would be localised.
I love how the Japanese sees this as a "risk" while they release it for a console that's barely outselling the wii u.

Drek

Is this actually true for niche jRPGs? 3DS saw plenty of great successes in the genre Western-wise: Bravely Default, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Fire Emblem Awakening. Also, it's cheaper to develop a 3DS game overall, and has a huge market in Japan.

DQ8 is the best selling PS2 format game in Japan all-time. It sold 4.9M units globally, at least 4M of them in Japan specifically.

One could argue that the decline of console sales in Japan is at least partially tied to the lack of single player Dragon Quest on consoles since the PS2 era. DQ was THE system seller in Japan when it was on consoles.

The PS4 is on track to sell much more like the PS2 than any console since. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sony and Square Enix work together to bring DQ to PS4 in an attempt to revitalize the Japanese console market.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Good.

qK6OJd.gif

3DS release schedule made it clear that the platform is not going away in 2016. Then, DQ often came late in a platform lifecycle so it would not be unsurprising.

As far as I know, both games are slightly above the million mark in the West.

RIP 3DS? lol

You really don't want to see this game on PS4 do you? lol

I think that the next game being on console is perfectly reasonable. And if the market isn't there then games like Final Fantasy XV will make strides in helping that happen to an extent. I think you need to remember that the audience for Dragon Quest and JRPGS in general didn't appear on 3DS out of thin air.

With any console you need to build a market by taking risks with high quality software, ensuring you build that audience in preparation for further titles.

The logic that 3DS is dominating Japan so DQXI only makes sense on that platform doesn't cut it anymore. It just isn't that cut and dry.

KingBroly

Banned
That's something Square-Enix is looking to rectify. They've said they have plans to grow the series in the west so I'd say a home console game is a step in the right direction.

You mean after leaving the series cold for 6+ years in the West then releasing a spin-off while refusing to localize the 3DS remakes despite a proven audience for them on the platform time and again? It doesn't exactly promote much faith.

Jigorath

Banned
You mean after leaving the series cold for 6+ years in the West then releasing a spin-off while refusing to localize the 3DS remakes despite a proven audience for them on the platform time and again? It doesn't exactly promote much faith.

It's hard to find logic with Square Enix at times but maybe they'll feel more confident localizing Dragon Quest games on PS4 than 3DS? They're bringing over DQ Heroes which is a step in the right direction.

brinstar

Cool to hear it's gonna be on consoles. I was personally hoping for a dual handheld/console release with some of the social/grotto stuff from IX returning.

Either way I have Wii U, PS4 and PS3, so I assume I'm taken care of.

XBOX ONE EXCLUSIVE CONFIRMED :(

Yep. They seem to think that DQ has potential in the West only on Sony platforms. Why, no idea

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah they could have tried to improve the series performance over years like Bamco did with Tales in the West or even better example would be Monster Hunter.

But they seem to think that putting the games on HD consoles is all they need for good sales in the West. Let's see how it works out, I know I'll be there day 1 no matter on which system.

Kyoufu

Yeah, I know.

But I think some people should stop looking at past actions and immediately assume that it'd happen again as it did before.

Oregano

That's something Square-Enix is looking to rectify. They've said they have plans to grow the series in the west so I'd say a home console game is a step in the right direction.

I wish them the best of luck with that(and resurrecting consoles in Japan) but I don't think it's going to happen, they're choosing to fight a losing battle.

KingBroly

Banned
It's hard to find logic with Square Enix at times but maybe they'll feel more confident localizing Dragon Quest games on PS4 than 3DS? They're bringing over DQ Heroes which is a step in the right direction.

Not really. Musou games don't do well in the West. Being a spin-off of a dormant series in the West won't help matters much either.

Mr Swine

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me if DQ will be a PS only franchise now when they move it to the PS4. But I do wonder how much it has to sell to make as much money as the 3DS DQ games

Kyoufu

I wish them the best of luck with that(and resurrecting consoles in Japan) but I don't think it's going to happen, they're choosing to fight a losing battle.

You never know until you try. Ni No Kuni sold over a million on PS3 in the west and proved that people still want JRPGs. DQ will sell in Japan, that's guaranteed and with the right push it could potentially do well in the west too.

You're kind of forgetting they released 5 games in the West last year and 2 this year. They might have been on a platform of your choice but this wasn't effortless either. That means they're still investing resources on DQ in the West, they're not just investing them where you (and a large number of people) would like to see them.

Busaiku

Yeah they could have tried to improve the series performance over years like Bamco did with Tales in the West or even better example would be Monster Hunter.

But they seem to think that putting the games on HD consoles is all they need for good sales in the West. Let's see how it works out, I know I'll be there day 1 no matter on which system.
Funny how Monster Hunter's a bigger success in and out of Japan now.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Yeeeeeessssss!!!! Finally a successor to DQ8!

Please be open world like DQ8. Please, please, please, please, please, PLEASE.

Kinda related: DQ VII and VIII confirmed for France (?)
https://twitter.com/jkermarrec/status/617322530156756993
Definitely real:

@ffring: À Japan Expo, quelques heures après notre interview, Yūji Horii vient de confirmer sur scène la sortie "in French" de DQVII et VIII !

Well, there you go.

"At Japan Expo, a few hours after our interview, Yuji Horii just confirmed on stage DQVII and VIII are releasing in French."

LOL:
@jkermarrec: Guess that means both titles at coming West on 3DS. I asked someone from SE and it seems Horii dropping the bomb wasn't planned.

klee123

Good stuff, expecting this for PS3/PS4

Considering the amount of support S-E is giving to PS4 so far, I think they've chosen their console of choice since Sony's probably the only console manufacturer who seems to be giving a crap about Japanese third parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom