• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Horii: Dragon Quest 11 will be an offline game, for home consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.
If nintendo lets DQ go, it would be a disaster.

It's not about letting it go. You can bet that they didn't want DQ7 to be on the PSone and that Sony didn't want DQ9 to be on the DS. But that's not really under their control. Horii has described how they pick platforms

On being “Welcomed Back” to PlayStation by the internet:

“I was really surprised by that. People were under the impression that I hated Sony Computer Entertainment or something, but that isn’t the case at all. Like any good developer, as a staff, we just choose the right hardware for the vision that we want to accomplish and make the most of it. That’s all there is to it.”

http://gematsu.com/2014/12/dragon-quest-creator-return-playstation

They series generally just goes to whichever is the most popular platform.

TimeKillr

I don't have time to read the whole thread, but just to put the "home consoles" debate to rest:

Specifically, the line says "console de salon", which, translated literally, means "living room console", thus home console. He then goes on to say it's being designed to be played with traditional controllers, if you need even more confirmation.

It's pretty simple. :)

At this interview isn't Horii saying SE is aware that Western gamers are wanting DQ7 & 8?
Yes, but that sounded politely noncommittal to me:
Any chance Dragon Quest VII and VIII could release in Europe ? Many fans want them to.

Horii (laughs) : We're hearing and reading a lot of very passionate fans about these games, and we're thinking about it.

I don't have time to read the whole thread, but just to put the "home consoles" debate to rest:

Specifically, the line says "console de salon", which, translated literally, means "living room console", thus home console. He then goes on to say it's being designed to be played with traditional controllers, if you need even more confirmation.

You're still going to get another 5 pages of people trying to convince themselves that somehow this will end up on 3DS. And I suspect the same when the game is formally announced too.

paolo11

Oh yeah. This is great news for me. I wanted it to be the traditional single player rpg game with some new changes.

Kyoufu

but that could mean anything

like what if Horii plays his 3DS in the living room? the 3DS itself is a controller anyway

Garou

This is speculation until we could get our hands on the original Japanese, but he most likely gave no confirmation whatsoever.

In Japanese, game devices (console & handheld) are called Kateiyou Game-ki 家庭用ゲーム機 (which translates to household game-device). This is a general term and includes stationary consoles (Sueoki-ki 据置機, stationary device) as well as handhelds (携帯機 Keitai-ki, portable device).
The term itself is meant to differentiate from Arcade-machines back in the day and phone-games today.

So to summarize, I am quite sure he said Kateiyou Game-ki, because the console-specific term Sueoki-ki is rather unusual, and he most likely wanted to point out it's not going to be on mobile.

Further infos (in Japanese): https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ゲーム機

DrWong

This is speculation until we could get our hands on the original Japanese, but he most likely gave no confirmation whatsoever.

In Japanese, game devices (console & handheld) are called Kateiyou Game-ki 家庭用ゲーム機 (which translates to household game-device). This is a general term and includes stationary consoles (Sueoki-ki 据置機, stationary device) as well as handhelds (携帯機 Keitai-ki, portable device).
The term itself is meant to differentiate from Arcade-machines back in the day and phone-games today.

So to summarize, I am quite sure he said Kateiyou Game-ki, because the console-specific term Sueoki-ki is rather unusual, and he most likely wanted to point out it's not going to be on mobile.

This is why I said we need the original japanese audio/transcript before speculating.

Rocky

Banned
They are not mutually exclusive, even if I don't think a 3DS version is likely.

Whatever, I just don't get why some people are hoping for an inferior version of the game. And yes, I felt DQIX was inferior to DQ VIII. I would absolutely love it if DQ XI had a graphic style similar to DQ Heroes.

Oregano

Whatever, I just don't get why some people are hoping for an inferior version of the game. And yes, I felt DQIX was inferior to DQ VIII. I would absolutely love it if DQ XI had a graphic style similar to DQ Heroes.

Yep, I agree. They should drop consoles altogether and make it for bleeding edge PC hardware. Why would anyone want an inferior version?

so they don't want to localize DQ7 (and 8 as it seems) on 3DS but would do so for XI if it is on PS4?

Can't see the logic. Seriously.

ah!

Turn based

Home consoles

Not an MMO

rejoice.png
Hallelujah!

And by consoles at most he probably means PS3/PS4.

This is all excellent news. There needs to be more turn-based combat in RPGs.

Aeana

so they don't want to localize DQ7 (and 8 as it seems) on 3DS but would do so for XI if it is on PS4?

Consoles have far greater sales potential in western markets than the 3DS does. Sony is also not Nintendo. SE had already given up on bringing DQ to the west after DQ5 DS, and Nintendo picked up the slack with 6 DS, 9, and Joker 2. Then Nintendo hasn't shown any further interest. Sony could step in for DQ11. Or SE could decide to take a chance, particularly if DQH does okay.

Oregano

No one is making PS4 games with the intention of leaving them in Japan because that's pretty much a death sentence.

Eh, I'm not a big fan of how DQH looks - Toriyama's designs I feel don't quite translate as well there. I think for mainline titles they should go for the DQVIII aesthetic or something like Ni No Kuni.

Apenheul

I don't care who brings it to the west or which platform it's on as long as it'll be localized and with (presumably) being on a home console I'm pretty optimistic.

NSESN

i wanted the game for 3ds, but well, i will buy a ps4 and wii u anyway, so at least one of this platforms will have the game

gtj1092

Happy happy joy joy!

So many pretzels in this topic already.

Also how is nx a good idea with zero install base but ps3/4 risky?

Bear in mind the translation went out of its way to mention "home consoles" rather than "consoles" and "controller" rather than "buttons".
So either they're heavily editorializing on a touchy subject or it's real.

Garou

Bear in mind the translation went out of its way to mention "home consoles" rather than "consoles" and "controller" rather than "buttons".
So either they're heavily editorializing on a touchy subject or it's real.

Rather than "went out of their way", I would assume they stuck literally to the words he said, and then 家庭 simply becomes "home".
Also "console" is a general term for portables as well at consoles in french.

Like I originally said, we cannot know without the original transscript, but my experience with Japanese translations would suggest my scenario.

Rather than "went out of their way", I would assume they stuck literally to the words he said, and then 家庭 simply becomes "home".
Also "console" is a general term for portables as well at consoles in french.
You misunderstand me.

The interviewer is also the translator of the interview and a DQ fan. So he knows exactly what words he's using and the weight they bear when he prints "consoles de salon" rather than "consoles" and "manettes" rather than "boutons".

I'm talking about his translation in French of Horii's words, obviously.

NSESN

some people like to play more on handhelds than home consoles

Consoles have far greater sales potential in western markets than the 3DS does. Sony is also not Nintendo. SE had already given up on bringing DQ to the west after DQ5 DS, and Nintendo picked up the slack with 6 DS, 9, and Joker 2. Then Nintendo hasn't shown any further interest. Sony could step in for DQ11. Or SE could decide to take a chance, particularly if DQH does okay.

Is this actually true for niche jRPGs? 3DS saw plenty of great successes in the genre Western-wise: Bravely Default, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Fire Emblem Awakening. Also, it's cheaper to develop a 3DS game overall, and has a huge market in Japan.

PS4 is still unproven in this market, and also bear in mind that DQ struggled to sell a million units on the most successful hardware ever, i.e. PS2 and DS (and those were sure platforms with plenty of jRPG-lovers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom