• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
"...Please understand..."

After a full week a reading this thread and trying to process this awful news... Great loss of a good man for humanity, a unique voice for the gaming industry, and of a brilliant leader for this funny and weird little company named Nintendo.
RIP Iwata-san

Now, I was watching a video of Florent Gorges (the man behind the "The History of Nintendo" books) yesterday, and he said that Iwata worked until the very end, and he has contacts saying that there was a last Iwata Asks recorded 2 weeks ago. I don't know anything more about this, and I don't know if Nintendo will choose to publish it (I certainly hope !), but I'm sure some of you wanted to know this information.

Take care,

I was wondering why Florent Gorges wasn't saying anything on social media. Glad to know he didn't stay silent.
I found the video interview you're talking about here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2xughf

It's in French sadly. Florent Gorges is pretty much the go-to scholar on Nintendo. Not only did he write The History of Nintendo as you said, he also wrote his entire college thesis on Gunpei Yokoi. I'm kinda proud to know he and I went to the same university and had the same teachers.

I might translate some tidbits into English later if you guys want.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I wish someone would gif the ending to Furious 7, but with Reggie and Vin Diesel and Iwata as Paul Walker ......

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Still taking it hard. Obviously I didn't know the man, but he was the cornerstone of what I believe about the games industry to be ... and it pisses me off that hes not a part of it anymore.

Reggie comes from the business world. Trinen is a translator, he's required to beat the games before working on them, and he genuinely enjoys getting to try them in advance. He's also been at Nintendo for almost 20 years.

I don't see him making a "Bill Asks", but he's definitely a gamer.

That's a great picture.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying that about Bill. I did not know any of that. Maybe I got the wrong vibe from him or maybe he's not fully comfortable on camera yet.

And I want to continue to thank people sharing all the tweets, art and other stuff being done in Iwata's memory.

So I havent posted in this thread because I was busy with work all week (also writing about Iwata, of course, among other things), but I just want to say that this is a terrible loss. I hope Nintendo can honor mr. Iwata by finishing what he started. Bringing us joy for years to come is surely what Iwata would have wanted.

Also wanted so share this. Went to the local gameshop here in the Netherlands to pick up a few Wii U games...

ATZCT5g.jpg

And lo and behold, a nice gesture was hanging on the wall there..

Anteo

There's a tease of a new form/Pokémon at the end of the movie that comes out tomorrow
and it's not Volcanion or Eternal Flower Floette
. Typically, they don't leave these things hanging for long. My original thought was for a World Championships reveal, but with Masuda tweeting when he travels, and saying he was at The Pokémon Company on July 3rd and then on July 13th when news broke, he said he met with Iwata the other day, it gives me a bad feeling.

Though discussion of the Pokémon stuff is for another topic (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1078619&highlight=)

Oh god, so there is a posibility that we hear "Hello everyone, this is Satoru Iwata from Nintendo.." one more time?

Oh man those funeral quotes and that Iwata picture in that store. What an end to a life...all of this. I hope we see some of his last vestiges in the products and work that Nintendo puts out. Either way, really impressed to see the industry rally in the way it has for what was otherwise a miserable loss to a horrible disease. Long live his spirit and energy.

Serrato

Oh man those funeral quotes and that Iwata picture in that store. What an end to a life...all of this. I hope we see some of his last vestiges in the products and work that Nintendo puts out. Either way, really impressed to see the industry rally in the way it has for what was otherwise a miserable loss to a horrible disease. Long live his spirit and energy.

The way I see it, even for those that don't like Nintendo no one could hate or dislike Iwata for his genuine passion and kindness. And his humility too. Few Companies would admit their fault and even less apologize to us ''directly'' (3DS reducing price). I think that all in all, he was a beacon of something bigger to strive for.

And all that make it a bigger loss overall.

Mistle

The possibility of a final Iwata Asks and even a Direct is pretty hard to think about. I mean, releasing the Iwata Asks would be fine imo, he's clearly extremely passionate and would want that interview to be read. But a final Direct being released could be a bit too much, not just for sparking emotions but also just in respecting the current state of events. Maybe if they ran a message beforehand or something.

Pachael

I didn't really know about Hobunichi and Iwata the IT manager. It solidifies the friendship between Iwata and Itoi and I just can't :(

I didn't really know about Hobunichi and Iwata the IT manager. It solidifies the friendship between Iwata and Itoi and I just can't :(

I knew about Hobonichi (seeing as I'm a big Earthbound and Itoi fan), but I really didn't know that Iwata had any part in it or even that he and Itoi had such a deep friendship.
It was really interesting learning about Iwata the IT manager.

Muku

Yeah, he even met with Junichi Masuda two weeks ago too, for what reason we don't know. I've got a fear that there may have been a Pokémon Direct recorded (as evidence is pointing to a reveal soon), but I hope not as that'd be a horrific combination of emotions for me

If this isn't the truth, I don't know what would be. I think this would bring the greatest set of tears yet. For both sides of the emotional scale. Even if they don't show it, I'd be curious just knowing the last one he filmed.

Also, that game store having Iwata's picture is so freaking awesome. Props to them for it.

Serrato

On facebook :

Once again we want to thank everyone for sharing their personal memories and artistic condolences for Mr. Iwata this week. We will continue to honor his memory by putting smiles on people’s faces as we work on, talk about and play the video games he loved so much. Mr. Iwata inspired us all, and his was truly the heart of a gamer.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
If Iwata did record any final Direct messages or Iwata Asks, Nintendo should release them. It's a nice way of paying tribute, and of not letting any of the work he did go to waste.

On facebook :

Someone stole Silver Mario's Strawberry Pocky Sticks!

EDIT: I just remembered:
Today I watched Chip Cheezum's Metal Gear Solid 2 Revisited stream he recorded last Saturday or Sunday.
About one hour and twenty minutes in Voidburger read in the chat that Iwata had died.
I think Chip Cheezum's "WHAT?!" was the loudest sound he ever let out on record.
It made me incredibly sad.
The stream went on without a hitch and without much sadness, but man. Everyone was hit in the gut by this news.

Neff

Hideki Kamiya was at the funeral, along with Reggie, Bill, Yuji Naka and Eiji Aonuma.

For some reason I believe Kamiya and Iwata are good friends. Or maybe Iwata was the only one who took Kamiya (and his W101 project) seriously?

The Wonderful 101 Iwata Asks was pre-empted by a discussion between Iwata and Kamiya about nothing else but Kamiya. It's really cool. Kamiya is very frank with Iwata, and it's obvious he has a ton of respect and admiration for Iwata and Nintendo.

mj1108

This whole thing has just been heartbreaking. :(

Is there a complete list of people who went and perhaps more pictures?

Found this:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/techno...satoru-iwatas-final-resting-place-343135.html

Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, Reggie Fils-Aime and Bill Trinen were present. They were joined by former Sonic Team boss Yuji Naka, Super Smash Bros. creator Masahiro Sakurai, The Legend of Zelda series boss Eiji Aonuma, Q-Games' Dylan Cuthbert, and Platinum Games' Hideki Kamiya.

Over the past few days, more than 3,000 people visited Iwata's final resting place at a Japanese temple in Nintendo's home city of Kyoto.

Tom_Cody

I went to the Nintendo World Store in NYC yesterday and the memorial items left by fans were amazing.
:/

I'll post the pictures in a bit.

plufim

GAF, I'd like your advice.

This weekend my city (Adelaide Australia) is having an anime and games convention (AVCon). I've always been somewhat involved, and just got permission to set up a very simple book to keep near the game tournaments where people can write their thanks, which I will then send to Nintendo.

But I absolutely want to get this right.

My current plan is a very simple framed image, with the text "Thank You Iwata" and a greyscale faded sprite of balloon fighter. The book would be blank pages, no lines, I want people to draw if that is how they chose to express themselves.

On the table I'll also have a vase with a flower in it (lily, I guess) and a bunch of bananas, because dammit it can't all be somber, dude was a delightful goof.

Then I need text to print on a simple flyer to explain what is being requested. My current thoughts:

"Last week the videogamers of the world lost someone very special. Satoru Iwata was a man who dedicated his life to a very simple goal: putting a smile on our faces. This book is for any message you would like to write or draw regarding his passing. This book will be sent on behalf of AVCon to Nintendo after the convention is over."

So... help me out. Better words, better ideas, anything.

This book is a big part of helping me heal, so in a way it feels selfish, but I know I'm not alone in feeling this sadness. This thread is proof.

mantidor

This hasn't sink at all yet, I thought I would have got over it by now :(

Just days before the sad news hit (08/07) I finished a Wario Ware DIY game (been playing it again since it's a Mario Paint spiritual successor like Mario Maker) about Iwata. As a robotic head (called The Megaton 3000) you drop bombs on the audience.

It's not a direct tribute since it was made before, but it combines Nintendo, programming and Iwata's favourite past time of dropping bombs so I thought I'd share it, especially since the death of the NWFC servers means it'll be stuck on only my cartridge forever.

This is amazing, I bought the game and never finished it, now is the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom