• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider: Preview and Technical Analysis (NX Gamer)

etta

my hard graphic balls
14 minutes long

Lock if old.

- Dynamic day and weather system
- Certain animals only available at certain times of the day
- TressFX beards
- Much more detailed facial animation, loses the plasticky look from the Remastered version
- Fully deformable snow, snow tracks can be used to stalk or be stalked, but given the dynamic weather, tracks can be covered up
- Blended animations smoother, Euphoria-like
- Same engine as Remastered version
- Post processing effects improved, better DOF and motion blur
- Lighting improved, more accurate

Update:
There are conflicting reports on the matter of the game's resolution. NX Gamer says the direct capture video he was given showed that the game was running at 900p; however, the game director, Brian Horton, says the game was running at 1080p.
Until further clarification, it is to be assumed the game is running at 1080p, as per what the game director is saying.

Update:
NX Gamer has issued an apology, he rushed the video and thus making the mistake. The game is 1080p, as per Brian Horton's tweet.
https://twitter.com/n_x_g/status/623012014621896704
https://twitter.com/n_x_g/status/623012472035889152

1080p is happening! Cheers, Crystal Dynamics!
Michael-Scott-Excited-About-The-Happening-On-The-Office.gif

tumblr_inline_mksnpoxWQ21qz4rgp.gif

Theorry

Sounds good. Think we the game will be 1080p also at launch.
What about the framerate?

Btw always tought the remaster looked quite nice. But next to the new game it looks so much less right away.

Hubble

Looks good. I hope there are areas of 6ft high snow that you can battle through and mess around for the hell of it.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Looking down at the first comments made me remember why I stopped looking at youtube comments.

Kinyou

The water during that one scene just looks so good, but I have to wonder if that cutscene is actually rendered in real time.

Looking forward to this and cool to see the technical envelope being pushed further.

TR is one of those rare instances for me where the moment to moment gameplay really did allow me to get past the woeful story/characters...

etta

my hard graphic balls
Sounds good. Think we the game will be 1080p also at launch.
What about the framerate?

Btw always tought the remaster looked quite nice. But next to the new game it looks so much less right away.

I am pretty sure it's 30 fps, and yea, hopefully they'll get it to 1080p by launch. Based Phil better be sending some Microsoft engineers to help in any way they can.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
900p? I could have sworn one of the devs said something about 1080p.

Oh well, it doesn't matter for me anyway considering i'm getting the PS4 version

Looking down at the first comments made me remember why I stopped looking at youtube comments.

Indeed It's always about Uncharted or Tomb Raider, both often showing up in the same place whether they should or not so predictable that it should have it's own law similar to Godwin's. Shit, even that latest TLOU thread turned into Tomb Raider v. Uncharted. Quite silly.

It looks fantastic. Looks far better than 2013. PC should look absolutely fantastic.

Oh well, it doesn't matter for me anyway considering i'm getting the PS4 version

They said they were aiming for 1080p

Anyway I really can't tell the difference between 900p and 1080p (inb4 obligatory " u scrub" comments) The demo looked graphically amazing, I was shocked.

ironcreed

Banned
They said they were aiming for 1080p

Anyway I really can't tell the difference between 900p and 1080p (inb4 obligatory " u scrub" comments) The demo looked graphically amazing, I was shocked.

Ryse is 900p and it is still one of the most gorgeous games of this gen for me. What we have seen of this looks stunning and if it is indeed 900p as well, then great. As honestly:

tumblr_lm4vas9zvp1qj6l4co1_500.gif

mike4001_

Not surprising.

In the last months the start optimizing everything and can probably bring it up to 1080p

Arklite

Presentation is looking great as far as assets go, I'd like to see more of the larger town/hub area.

I'm cautious on the puzzle improvements. On the one hand, it's obvious that they want to keep the fast action pacing. On the other, the addition of swimming and the larger flooded tombs could mean they might be matching Underworld's more involved type of puzzles, which would be a big improvement.

RoKKeR

The montage sequence they ran at the end of the trailers was so good, overall impressed with the visuals even though it's a bit rough around the edges.

Madness

Just once you'd wonder if there could be a thread for this game without Sony brought up in some form. There hasn't even been a single announcement of it for PS4 but that doesn't stop you from saying oh I could've sworn it was 1080p, doesn't matter I'm getting it for PS4.

Inuhanyou

Not surprising.

In the last months the start optimizing everything and can probably bring it up to 1080p

Hopefully so, XB1 owners deserve a good deal on that since this SKU is the main one launching this year(i havent heard anything about the 360 version)

Just once you'd wonder if there could be a thread for this game without Sony brought up in some form. There hasn't even been a single announcement of it for PS4 but that doesn't stop you from saying oh I could've sworn it was 1080p, doesn't matter I'm getting it for PS4.

And you could just ignore the comments instead of making a big deal out of it.

Madness

And you could just ignore the comments instead of making a big deal out of it.

Why shouldn't I make a big deal out of it? If you ignore instead of rightly drawing attention or calling it out you embolden it to continue. Every single thread for this game has ridiculous port begging or shitting on the Xbox One version and the usual 'I'll get it for PS4' comments, which is nonexistent right now. It's one thing if it's officially announced, but it hasn't been.

KORNdoggy

It'll be on PS4...far too obvious. You think MS would be talking about the games exclusiveity duration if it wasn't. Lol.

geordiemp

Why shouldn't I make a big deal out of it? If you ignore instead of rightly drawing attention or calling it out you embolden it to continue. Every single thread for this game has ridiculous port begging or shitting on the Xbox One version and the usual 'I'll get it for PS4' comments, which is non-existent right now. It's one thing if it's officially announced, but it hasn't been.

Take a deep breath and relax...its not like this is a staple Microsoft first party release...it is understood my most people that they have bought early rights to the game and it will be out on all platforms eventually....Its a multi platform 3rd party series that MS bought early dibs on.

Its only fair that fans of the series will come and look how the game is shaping up, me included and I dont have an XB1.

I am not port begging, I know I will play it soon enough after the proverbial 6 / 12 months like MS always do. And why should people that have played the prior game on PC and PS4 not show interest....? In same way Xb1 owners can show interest in Shenmue 3 or another other game thats not announced for XB1 but its bloody obvious it will come.

IF MS had bought and funded it and it was a clear exclusive, they would say so very clearly..thats for bloody sure....

If its only announced on Xb1 first and no further announcements that is pretty standard .......If I am wrong then correct me.

Its OK to say I will get it on PS4 or PC........cant see the problem.

Why shouldn't I make a big deal out of it? If you ignore instead of rightly drawing attention or calling it out you embolden it to continue. Every single thread for this game has ridiculous port begging or shitting on the Xbox One version and the usual 'I'll get it for PS4' comments, which is nonexistent right now. It's one thing if it's officially announced, but it hasn't been.

I don't think it counts as port begging because the mod(s) have the deemed a PS4 version is coming regardless of any official announcement.

It'll be on PS4...far too obvious. You think MS would be talking about the games exclusiveity duration if it wasn't. Lol.

Take a deep breath and relax...its not like this is a staple Microsoft first party release...it is understood my most people that they have bought early rights to the game and it will be out on all platforms eventually....Its a multi platform 3rd party series that MS bought early dibs on.

Its only fair that fans of the series will come and look how the game is shaping up, me included and I dont have an XB1.

I am not port begging, I know I will play it soon enough after the proverbial 6 / 12 months like MS always do.

IF MS had bought and funded it and it was a clear exclusive, they would say so very clearly....if its only announced on Xb1 first and no further announcements that is pretty standard .......If I am wrong then correct me.

I don't think it counts as port begging because the mod(s) have the deemed a PS4 version is coming regardless of any official announcement.

I don't think his point was about wether or not it will arrive on PS4............

Inuhanyou

I'm just now seeing your post, but i don't think that's correct.

The PS4 version is all but confirmed for next year, so that's where i will be getting it. I was musing on hearing something about a dev talking about 1080p for XB1.

I don't think its fair to say i'm port begging when its commonly accepted that a PS4 and PC version will be coming sometime in the future.

Madness

I didn't realize speculation and assumption would be considered fact. It's irrelevant what MAY happen. This is a tech thread for the game on the only OFFICIALLY announced version and yet it's disappointing and people will wait for an as yet unannounced version.

Really? Because so far, there is nothing but assumptions and speculation, not facts. Instead people want to come to a tech based thread and shit on the game and it's visual fidelity and talk about unannounced versions that literally don't exist yet and champion a resolution that doesn't exist either. I mean more power to you, but what does that say about any meaningful discourse here then?

Didn't take long for you guys to take this thread off topic. It's tiresome.

Game looks great. Going to have to make some hard decisions on what to buy this holiday.

geordiemp

I don't think his point was about wether or not it will arrive on PS4............

What was his point ? Enlighten me.

1. Port begging - No its widely understood its coming to other things was how i understood....Maybe I am wrong...
2. Shitting on XB1 version - He did not do that. Game looks fine to me as well.
3. I will get it for Ps4 comments - Cant see what the issue is here, just an intention to buy.

Game looking good. I like snow. Seems more stealth focus in this game.

I didn't realize speculation and assumption would be considered fact. It's irrelevant what MAY happen. This is a tech thread for the game on the only OFFICIALLY announced version and yet it's disappointing and people will wait for an as yet unannounced version.

Really? Because so far, there is nothing but assumptions and speculation, not facts. Instead people want to come to a tech based thread and shit on the game and it's visual fidelity and talk about unannounced versions that literally don't exist yet and champion a resolution that doesn't exist either. I mean more power to you, but what does that say about any meaningful discourse here then?

Where has someone shit on the Xbox One version? All I have seen are observations that the game is not meeting the targeted specs right now. That happens for ALL games.You are being hyper-sensitive.

Genio88

I loved the reboot and can't wait for this game, this fall is gonna be insane with MGSV, Halo 5, and Rise of The Tomb Raider

Inuhanyou

I love how they are treating faces in this game. I know a lot of people hated her face in TR Remaster, but in the new game, it actually looks very natural and much more emotive than either face of 2013

Chobel

Thinking it will at least be "1080pr" at launch. Dynamic resolution is good choice for single player games that can't stay at 1080p without frame rate issues.

The thing is, implementing a dynamic resolution solution isn't easy especially when it's late in development. It should be present from the get-go. Also was there any game that changed resolution from 900p to 1080pr in late development?

Top Bottom