• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vacation...funniest movie in the series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christmas is best, there's no arguing, this is a scientifically proven factuation.

Going by the trailers the new one has a kid who comes off as never experienced any sort of discipline in his short life and just an all around little shit which I guess there's a good number of 12 year olds like that these days going by what can be heard while while playing a game online with voice chat on. I also don't care for Ed Helms so that's two strikes against it already. Then the stupid sewage gag... Oh and the older brother is the kid who played young Shawn (from Psych) number two also, meh.

stuminus3

Banned
At least it has Holiday Road in it. The only reason Christmas Vacation isn't the greatest movie ever made is because it doesn't have Holiday Road in it.

Robot Pants

Better than the first? ..... It's gonna be hard to top the scene with Clark fishtailing through an intersection with luggage flying off the top of the car and then backfiring.

Did they get Randy Quaid? Ever since he went off the deep end (see the video of him simulating sex with his wife while she's wearing a Rupert Murdoch mask for evidence) I've really wanted to see him come back.

I'd watch this reboot for him.

...Ed Helms though.

Chevy Chase (not on drugs) < Ed Helms < Chevy Chase (high as a kite)

Sanjuro

Did they get Randy Quaid? Ever since he went off the deep end (see the video of him simulating sex with his wife while she's wearing a Rupert Murdoch mask for evidence) I've really wanted to see him come back.

Oh, do we have the film just for you.

m6hx4eb.jpg

Chevy Chase (not on drugs) < Ed Helms < Chevy Chase (high as a kite)
Nah, he doesn't show up.

Alright, just saw this movie. It's OK.
It got a lot of chuckles out of me and there are a few scenes that were super funny but overall, its just alright.
The little kid bullying the brother and the Liam Hemsworth parts are probably the funniest out of the entire movie.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
will see this..high-20s on RT is my litmus for movies that I kind of really want to see. To me basically reads as "fans will probably enjoy for the most part. otherwise stay away" Basically my interpretation of RT is

28-40 = fans will like it more than hate it
40-55 = fans will absolutely love it. others YMMV
55-70 = most people will probably enjoy it fine enough. Fans may call it the best ever made.
70-90 = most people will probably enjoy it quite a bit. Fans it will probably end up in their Top 3 lists.
90+ = do you have a soul? If so then you will probably greatly enjoy this.

Sanjuro

will see this..high-20s on RT is my litmus for movies that I kind of really want to see. To me basically reads as "fans will probably enjoy for the most part. otherwise stay away"

This falls in line with the nostalgia crew from the last few months.

Basically Pixels, Jurassic World, Terminator Genisys were all foolish films in their own right, banking on nostalgia, and I found some value of entertainment in all of them.

Curious how this lands.

Sanjuro

Ehhh, I think I'll wait until rental to see this one.

My biggest concern is that the movie has no heart, and Jeremy Jahns thought it was dog shit and that it didn't have heart either....

I tend to agree with his reviews about 80% of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyYpDSl72m8

Glad you enjoyed it though, OP.

Not all of the Vacation films had heart. Christmas Vacation kind of stood out more in that regard, hence why it's the most accessible historically.

Not all of the Vacation films had heart. Christmas Vacation kind of stood out more in that regard, hence why it's the most accessible historically.

That's good to know as I've only seen Christmas Vacation and Vegas Vacation, and I felt they both had heart.

Sanjuro

That's good to know as I've only seen Christmas Vacation and Vegas Vacation, and I felt they both had heart.

I mean, they do and they don't.

The reviewer from that YouTube video mentioned that it was mean spirited. The Griswold family all have mean spirited tendencies throughout the films, largely Clark. The "heart" is usually the part in the narrative where the family stops battling themselves and rallies around one another to treat others hostilely.

The reviewer may be accurate. If the new film is full of idiots and family members treating one another like dirt, and he views the previous films differently, he may have some re-watching to do.

I have not seen the new movie, and probably won't until it's on Netflix. With that said, there is no way it's better than Christmas Vacation. None

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
In the original, they decided that no existing station wagon was shitty enough for the Griswolds, so they built a custom model. That's dedication.
"You think you hate it now, but wait 'til you drive it." is perfection.

Original Vacation RT score: 95%

Man I didn't know Apatow directed back then.

Uhh. Didn't know I needed to specify modern critics rating movies from this century. I should also specify it was a generalization so pointing out one movie doesn't disprove me. I also should specify for you mainstream movies released in English just in case you want to prove me wrong by pointing out the ratings of comedies in Chinese. Also I am going to specify that when I said Judd Apatow I mean The 40-Year-Old Virgin guy and not some other guy with the same name.

I think that one's the worst. There's a handful of jokes I laughed at. Vegas Vacation wasn't that great but it was a little better.

Vacation tier list:

Christmas
Original
Vegas
Hotel Hell
European

Yea I think this is the consensus. Though I think I kinda like Vegas a bit more than the original because of eddie.

I think it goes Christmas Vacation > Vacation > Vegas Vacation > European Vacation >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Christmas Vacation 2.

Slightly interested in seeing the new one, but I really don't like Ed Helms, so I'll probably wait for it to hit netflix.

Love all of the Vacation movies, great laughs in each of them (consider Vegas Vacation to be the worst, some funny parts but ultimately weaker jokes).

Have little hope for this new one.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I enjoyed it...

I really thought that the girl would have
been Eddie's granddaughter. Her family was traveling around in that shitty camper, and his daughters were the same age as Rusty.. I was hoping they'd reveal it at the end that Rusty's Son was making out with his second cousin or whatever it would have worked out to be
... oh well.

Tansut

Saw this earlier tonight. There are some funny jokes, I won't lie and say that I didn't enjoy any of it.... but man this movie is also pretty bad. It's got very little in the way of heart, Ed Helms just can't carry a movie, and a lot of the humor is crude and mean-spirited.

Still better than European Vacation though.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Christmas Vacation. One of the funniest movies of all time.

European Vacation is also awesome. Watched it the other day. Very very funny. I've not seen the first one in years. I need to sort that out.

Watched a lot of European growing up, so it's way up the list for me. It helps that it has Eric Idle in it, who I absolutely love.

European Vacation has always been the best. Vegas worst and Christmas a hair above it.

I have never, never, never understood the love for Christmas Vacation.

Poop! Fuck nuggets! Projectile vomiting!

If any of the above words or phrases make you giggle, then Vacation's the movie for you. Saw it yesterday. It's an incredibly lazy, mean spirited comedy that's about on the level of Dumb and Dumber To. There are a couple of gags sprinkled throughout that would have worked better (the cops at the 4 corners, the tumbleweed) had what preceded it not been so redundant and devoid of wit and charm. The part with the cops works well almost solely because it's one of the few moments in the film where 4 different, non-Griswald actors, are occupying the screen and give you a break from Ed Helms and his dumb family.

It's pretty fitting that the final joke in the film ends with a toilet flushing.

dhonk

Poop! Fuck nuggets! Projectile vomiting!

If any of the above words or phrases make you giggle, then Vacation's the movie for you. Saw it yesterday. It's an incredibly lazy, mean spirited comedy that's about on the level of Dumb and Dumber To. There are a couple of gags sprinkled throughout that would have worked better (the cops at the 4 corners, the tumbleweed) had what preceded it not been so redundant and devoid of wit and charm. The part with the cops works well almost solely because it's one of the few moments in the film where 4 different, non-Griswald actors, are occupying the screen and give you a break from Ed Helms and his dumb family.

It's pretty fitting that the final joke in the film ends with a toilet flushing.

I tend to trust those with a Home Movies avatar. Will avoid.

I started having doubts when I saw it on Wikipedia's "2015 in film" schedule and not only hadn't heard of it, but noticed it didn't have the National Lampoon association.

krpiper

Original>Christmas >> Vegas >>>>Vacation>>>>>> European

The Original is my favorite movie of all time, I can recite it word by word and still laugh like a hyena everytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom