• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division E3 Wrap Up Video

Yoday

Remember that the main developer is still Massive Entertainment, which did World in Conflict on PC. There are other Ubisoft studios aiding, but this is mostly ME's baby. So I wouldn't discount it too soon just because Ubisoft owns them.
Discount it? I am probably one of the biggest Ubi fans here, and this is one of my most anticipated games. I think you misread, which wouldn't be too surprising, as it was poorly worded. What i was saying is that anticipation for this game has killed my desire to play future Destiny content since they have a fairly similar gameplay loop, but The Division will likely actually deliver on the content. I am really looking forward to hearing more about the end game.

Loot is personal in The Division. Drops you get wont show up to other people, other than when you place it in your contaminated loot inventory that shows up as a yellow biohazard tube on your back. People will know you have something but they wont know exactly what it is. That is where the cat-an-mouse game of PVP comes into play. Do I kill you to see what you have or do I let you extract it?

However, when you are killed in PVP and an item drops, it appears to everyone. They can see what it is and what rarity it is (based on colored orb drop). Thats where things get really hectic and a game of hot potatoe begins because if its orange, everyone is going to want it and try to get it.

The Dark Zone mechanic I understand but it's a bit disappointing that clans wouldn't have the ability to share amongst the group. That feels like a huge mis-step especially when you see why that was done in a game like Destiny, where loot wasn't tradeable in order to pad out the loot grind / time sink.

If a teammate is lacking in something that would make them more helpful when we went into a dark zone, and it's something I haven't already equipped, there should be loot exchange.

Then again, there could be enough content in the Division for this not to matter, but I have Destiny PTSD. Haha

Ah thanks. But why let anyone extract it? Then surely you can never get it from them anyway?

If you kill them enough times you can get it. Lol.

The Dark Zone mechanic I understand but it's a bit disappointing that clans wouldn't have the ability to share amongst the group. That feels like a huge mis-step especially when you see why that was done in a game like Destiny, where loot wasn't tradeable in order to pad out the loot grind / time sink.

If a teammate is lacking in something that would make them more helpful when we went into a dark zone, and it's something I haven't already equipped, there should be loot exchange.

Then again, there could be enough content in the Division for this not to matter, but I have Destiny PTSD. Haha

During the initial reveal they mentioned trading, however I dont know what the status of that is in the current build. Ill ask the dev team and get back to you on it.

Im almost positive its still in, though dont quote me on that.

Septic360

Banned

Aaah. Okay. Slightly confused lol. What are the chances of running into someone after they have extracted though? Its not like its a set server. I assume they extract and they get a first class ticket to some safe zone.

Sorry for all the questions.

Aaah. Okay. Slightly confused lol. What are the chances of running into someone after they have extracted though? Its not like its a set server. I assume they extract and they get a first class ticket to some safe zone.

Sorry for all the questions.

You only extract a loot item, you have to physically exit the Dark Zone on foot. Are you referring to post-extraction of the item? Cause once its extracted its theirs. You'd want to kill them before they can extract the item so you have a chance to get it.

Basically what happens:

-Get sweet loot.
-Find extraction zone.
-Raise flare to call extraction. (When you raise flare its visible to EVERYONE in the city within FOV.)
-Wait 90 seconds and defend yourself from being killed.
-Place contaminated loot container on carbiner from rope dropped from helicopter (up to 6 items per extraction).

Then youll see Extraction Successful across the screen.

THEN and only then is it your loot.

You CAN cancel another players extraction by forcing them out of bounds or killing them, which makes them have to start the process ALL over again.

Small Edit: Only the team leader who initiates the extraction in a party has to be killed to cancel an extraction. This is where teamwork comes into play and a mini game of VIP / HVT starts. An yes you can be a total dick and merk your whole team and steal their stuff an extract all of it yourself. It has happened before.

As a side note; I'm going to have to work on my Bane impression just in case they decide to open mics (they probably won't for good reason) in pvp. "Ahh so you thought the Dark Zone was your ally..."

During the initial reveal they mentioned trading, however I dont know what the status of that is in the current build. Ill ask the dev team and get back to you on it.

Im almost positive its still in, though dont quote me on that.

Too late, already quoted! Haha. Well that's promising. Hopefully they reveal more as March draws closer. I'm not sure why they've buried some of the game mechanics in Q&A's. They really should do a quick video on what the daily log in looks like. We've seen no direct footage of base of operations stuff. The Dark Zone is obviously what they're most proud of, and if the shooting mechanics are on, it will lead to some amazing dynamic gameplay. I just want to see what the "daily grind" is going to entail. Again, Destiny PTSD.

As a side note; I'm going to have to work on my Bane impression just in case they decide to open mics (they probably won't for good reason) in pvp. "Ahh so you thought the Dark Zone was your ally..."

I did see that they tried Prox chat via kinect/ps4 cam, and it didn't work. I'm not sure why headsets wouldn't be considered, unless there is something with the sound tech prohibiting that. But they have said they're still evaluating that.

Septic360

Banned
You only extract a loot item, you have to physically exit the Dark Zone on foot. Are you referring to post-extraction of the item? Cause once its extracted its theirs. You'd want to kill them before they can extract the item so you have a chance to get it.

Basically what happens:

-Get sweet loot.
-Find extraction zone.
-Raise flare to call extraction. (When you raise flare its visible to EVERYONE in the city within FOV.)
-Place contaminated loot container on carbiner from rope dropped from helicopter (up to 6 items per extraction).

You CAN cancel another players extraction by forcing them out of bounds or killing them, which makes them have to start the process ALL over again.

Small Edit: Only the team leader who initiates the extraction in a party has to be killed to cancel an extraction. This is where teamwork comes into play and a mini game of VIP / HVT starts. An yes you can be a total dick and merk your whole team and steal their stuff an extract all of it yourself. It has happened before.

Aaah cheers for this! I was getting my wires crossed. When you referred to extraction I thought you meant when the helicopter comes to extract you.

DId not know about the team leader/VIP mechanic. That is brilliant.

I doubt I'd ever merk my whole team considering they would be my real life mates and I'd get a beating from them irl.

It all sounds pretty cool. So once they try to extract the weapon you can see what it is. I got it.

Man these dark zones are gonna lead to a lot of sodium chloride build up haha.

Too late, already quoted! Haha. Well that's promising. Hopefully they reveal more as March draws closer. I'm not sure why they've buried some of the game mechanics in Q&A's. They really should do a quick video on what the daily log in looks like. We've seen no direct footage of base of operations stuff. The Dark Zone is obviously what they're most proud of, and if the shooting mechanics are on, it will lead to some amazing dynamic gameplay. I just want to see what the "daily grind" is going to entail. Again, Destiny PTSD.

Ill talk with Yannick, Antoine and Hamish about this tonight and see if I can work something out for you guys.

Klyka

Banned

Basically what happens:

-Get sweet loot.
-Find extraction zone.

What if, instead of extracting the items with the helicopter, i just walk out of the dark zone with it?

What if, instead of extracting the items with the helicopter, i just walk out of the dark zone with it?

You cant atleast as far as we were told / what we saw. You forfeit the item I believe.

Small Edit: Another associate of mine pointed something out the other day that may be a portion thats not revealed yet. It MAY be possible to take an item out without extracting but there may be serious consequences for doing so. Im not sure. If you watch some of the trailers there are surfaces and places that are labeled "contaminated" when you scan them. Its possible that you can contract the disease outside the Dark Zone and have to use an antidote. Though this is completely speculative so dont take that as factual.

What I do know is there is varying degrees of infection and contamination which require stronger gear to access. That much we do know. So its entirely possible.

Yeah, the only way you can get contaminated loot out of the Dark Zone is via extraction, because they want to force those kinds of encounters.

The trade off is, if a fire team has been killing people all day, they should appear on the minimap for all to see, so you'll get some early warning. The downside is you may encounter another group that hasn't killed anyone yet or their timer just wore off and those groups could sneak up on you.

Speaking of infection and contamination, the devs were really cagey when someone asked about non-faction enemies... So are there some kinda mutant/zombies out there?

Yeah, the only way you can get contaminated loot out of the Dark Zone is via extraction, because they want to force those kinds of encounters.

The trade off is, if a fire team has been killing people all day, they should appear on the minimap for all to see, so you'll get some early warning. The downside is you may encounter another group that hasn't killed anyone yet or their timer just wore off and those groups could sneak up on you.

This is correct.

Speaking of infection and contamination, the devs were really cagey when someone asked about non-faction enemies... So are there some kinda mutant/zombies out there?

This part has not been revealed yet, there are definately NPCs that are infected and sick, though I dont know of any mutation or "zombified" NPCs. You will see some unsightly things in the game though that hit pretty close to home... but I wont spoil that.

I did see that they tried Prox chat via kinect/ps4 cam, and it didn't work. I'm not sure why headsets wouldn't be considered, unless there is something with the sound tech prohibiting that. But they have said they're still evaluating that.

It's a double edged sword. Prox can be great for convenience and immersion but it also makes it that much easier to troll, harass, or break immersion (background music, family noise, etc...)

I'd be happy with some hand signals and in-game voip options. Treat them like radio channels.

This part has not been revealed yet, there are definately NPCs that are infected and sick, though I dont know of any mutation or "zombified" NPCs. You will see some unsightly things in the game though that hit pretty close to home... but I wont spoil that.

Well I mean, there are walls and air locks around the dark zones for a reason... Haha. If this turned out to be a sleeper zombie game this would be the second best kept secret in gaming history next to the FF 7 remake.

It's a double edged sword. Prox can be great for convenience and immersion but it also makes it that much easier to troll, harass, or break immersion (background music, family noise, etc...)

I'd be happy with some hand signals and in-game voip options. Treat them like radio channels.

Actually this is what I brought up at a closed event. :)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
There is absolutely a campaign aspect and PVE to the title. You can play with up to four people in a squad that is drop-in drop-out. There will also be matchmaking if you dont have any friends who pick up the title on day 1.

Division is more like Borderlands than it is anything else. There is skill trees with upgradeable skills as well as five different qualities of loot ranging from common to legendary. "Loot" is very rare in that you wont receive a loot drop for everything you kill. So there is an element of collectibility if you will in that you might have to horde something early for later in the game, which you can store at your Base of Operations.

Base of Operations are unlocked by completing tasks within the campaign of the game. When you extract a piece of gear, this is where you will go to pick it up. There are multiple Bases of Operation through out the city each with their own plot line and plot ties.

If they didnt take it out, for whatever reason, if you have two Base of Operations or more, supply lines between each Base of Operations will be created. Again, this was from 2-3 years ago when the game was first revealed. The game has been in development for close to five years so things can change due to balance issues, such as the melee mechanic.

So to answer your question a little bit better, there is a ton of content to do with your friends between loot hording, gearing up, changing skills to fit the needs of your party (Division is a classless game which means you can respec your skills at any time, which helps if youre playing by yourself.), opening Base of Operations, PVP and PVE.

Alot of the "Story" portion has not been revealed to the public yet and I cannot speak on behalf of that as I am under NDA.

Thank you very much for this, DigitalHitmann. My wife and I are huge fans of Borderlands. I just bought the PS4 handsome jack collection so we could play Borderlands 2 again, even though we played BL2 for a year straight on ps3.

I actually have a next gen co op station with side-by-side recliners, flat screen TVs and dual PS4s connected via WiFi so my wife and I could still enjoy couch co-op gaming of sorts.

So is this game really like Borderlands in that it scales the experience up and down depending on how many people are playing co op? We prefer to play as just the 2 of us....can you play online campaign co op this way Ala Diablo 3 or Borderlands 2?

Again thank you for your input

Thank you very much for this, DigitalHitmann. My wife and I are huge fans of Borderlands. I just bought the PS4 handsome jack collection so we could play Borderlands 2 again, even though we played BL2 for a year straight on ps3.

I actually have a next gen co op station with side-by-side recliners, flat screen TVs and dual PS4s connected via WiFi so my wife and I could still enjoy couch co-op gaming of sorts.

So is this game really like Borderlands in that it scales the experience up and down depending on how many people are playing co op? We prefer to play as just the 2 of us....can you play online campaign co op this way Ala Diablo 3 or Borderlands 2?

Again thank you for your input

Yes, difficulty scales based on how many players are in the party and you can absolutely play the story portion together.

Keasar

Basically what happens:

-Get sweet loot.
-Find extraction zone.

The thing that bothers me with the Dark Zone, while this sounds pretty alright, is that you respawn in the same area if you die.

Personally, I would like them to go the risky route of instead making you die completely and spawn outside of the zone, out of the instance, so you can't go back into the same one and just rush back to the extraction zone to get back your stuff.

I would like to see entering the Dark Zone being a high-risk/reward thing where you CAN get out of the zone with weapons, but you may also loose it all. And there is a high risk of initiating combat with other players. It should be a tense experience but with great rewards if you succeed.

Edit: Sure, despite there being a respawn, it can still be pretty tense, but I think being able to respawn lessens the sense of risk in this kind of situation.

Just curious, would it help if I made a 'What is The Division' thread as an info dump of everything I know so far about the game rather then answering questions individually ? That way people have a reference mark and something they can go back an look at an then ask their individual questions later ?

Just curious, would it help if I made a 'What is The Division' thread as an info dump of everything I know so far about the game rather then answering questions individually ? That way people have a reference mark and something they can go back an look at an then ask their individual questions later ?

Could work as a general info thread that would be converted into a community thread in time. The downside being that you'd get a PM every time there's a new feature or change and asked to update the OP.

Mifec

Yes please do so.

Philippo

Yes, absolutely.
I remember watching the Ubi's E3 conference with some friends and they bashed it because "downgrades" and "same old gameplay", and it was very hard trying to explain things into detail to them.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
This game looks less and less impressive each time it's shown. I was super hyped up for this back in 2013 but I don't really care too much about it anymore.

So is this Ubi's Destiny? A better thought out, more rewarding Destiny grounded in a plausible reality.

Sounds like it to me and to some degree already looks like it shaping up to be a Destiny competitor.

It ended up just being one giant MEH for me. I know online would be nothing but people shooting at each other. I doubt any alliances would form. Combat didn't feel that great either and boy the graphics sure took a hit.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN

You don't even need to ask that question. It wold be a hugely valuable resource on GAF

Just be sure to include the subtle: "But what do you DO in The Division"

The Goat

I take it the framerate sucks? All the footage with the game running in the background is either sped up, or slomo. Early builds and whatnot, I suppose, or ugly monitor refresh.

Still interested in seeing how this turns out. Too many meh reports though for there not to be something missing.

KN1GHTMARE

Neo Member
Is this 'what do you even do?' thing going to spread? If so may God have mercy on our souls.

To answer your question the game is a third person action shooter with rpg elements. You go around in the city, finding better loot, leveling up, fighting people.

No words about the story yet.

I think it looks pretty, wanna try the beta though. I'm imagining all kinds of awesome scenarios but that's just imagination so I want to try it out in beta first to come with my final verdict.

What's known about the story is that the US got hit by a virus that was using money as the carrier and released on Black Friday. The US government had been installing sleeper agents all over the country and they would be activate in the events of a catastrophe such as this virus. You play as one of these said agents, completing missions etc.

People do realize proof of concept from 2013 was running on PC and the 2015 demo was running live on Xbox One... right? How can you even compare the two... Would be like comparing any Frostbite title on PC to console. You just cant do it.

I take it the framerate sucks? All the footage with the game running in the background is either sped up, or slomo. Early builds and whatnot, I suppose, or ugly monitor refresh.

Still interested in seeing how this turns out. Too many meh reports though for there not to be something missing.

Playable build was a few months old, yes.

So is this Ubi's Destiny? A better thought out, more rewarding Destiny grounded in a plausible reality.

Sounds like it to me and to some degree already looks like it shaping up to be a Destiny competitor.

I'm hoping this is the case. The two big things that Destiny got wrong was the amount of content and the sheer insanity that is their version of itemization.

If Ubi can deliver on those and keep the gunplay interesting, it could be a contender.

The fact it's set in a real world setting means that the weapons and gear sorta write themselves.

I'm also worried about the enemy A.I. Dark Zone pvp is great and I'm looking forward to it, but if the day to day solo stuff is a lot of typical third person shooter against enemy A.I. that's exploitable, then it'll get old and redundant real quick.

At least the enemy A.I. and shooting mechanics in Destiny are top notch, which is why Destiny has survived, in part, until now.

We'll know more in December when the beta drops. It'll be extremely telling what they let us see in that.

Can someone explain to me how they will notify you with beta access? when I redeemed my code all i did was select my platform (XboxOne) which opened a 2nd window where i assume it authenticated with my live acc since i usually already have my windows live id signed in the same browser, then they said at the end

"Before the beta starts, we will send you your access key via the email address associated with your Uplay account."

I dont even believe i have a uplay account though o_O i wasnt signed into one on this beta sign up page.. when i tried to do the process again it said my code was already redeemed. so where should i be looking when this beta stuff rolls around? My email tied to my xbl acc? Doenst seem right since thats not a uplay acc lol

The whole process has me pretty confused.

diaspora

People do realize proof of concept from 2013 was running on PC and the 2015 demo was running live on Xbox One... right? How can you even compare the two... Would be like comparing any Frostbite title on PC to console. You just cant do it.

Playable build was a few months old, yes.

Man, people are stupid what the hell do you want?

Top Bottom