• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police shoot and kill young man in vehicle, cop insists he attempted to ram officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

FartOfWar

Banned
The autopsy tells another story:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2015/07/29/zach-hammond-seneca-police/30852391/

"A lawyer representing the family of a Seneca [S.C.] teenager who was shot by police Sunday night said the autopsy shows that Zachary Hammond was shot from behind and his car was not moving, contrary to police reports that the car veered toward the officer during a drug sting.

Eric Bland, a Columbia attorney hired by Hammond’s parents, said he has requested the state Attorney General to call for a statewide grand jury investigation into the incident.

“It is clearly, clearly from the back,” Bland said after viewing pictures of the bullet wounds at the coroner’s office Wednesday. “It is physically impossible for him to be trying to flee or run over the officer that shot him.” . . .

Bland said the autopsy indicated that the first shot went into Hammond’s left rear shoulder, throwing him forward in the car, and the second one went at a downward angle into his side from the rear, through his heart and lungs and leaving out his lower right side.

The entry wounds were five inches apart, he said.

“The shots were so close in proximity to each other that it would be physically impossible unless the car was stopped and the officer came up very close to an open window,
” Bland said.

“Picture a car going 20 miles an hour and I’m fortunate enough to get a shot off, and I hit you —there’s no way I can get the second shot if the car’s going 20 miles an hour,” Bland said."

More here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2015/08/03/another-senseless-drug-war-death/

"According to the police, an undercover police office had arranged to buy some pot from the woman in Hammond’s car. When Hammond and the woman arrived at the agreed-upon location, a uniformed officer emerged with his gun drawn. "

Mesoian

What was the quote? "Every death related infraction by police in the past year where a camera was involved have proven that the police have lied,"?

The sad thing is, I'm becoming pretty numb to the news. It's like, "yeah, they're still trying to kill us. How's the dow doing today?"

Siegcram

"According to the police, an undercover police office had arranged to buy some pot from the woman in Hammond’s car. When Hammond and the woman arrived at the agreed-upon location, a uniformed officer emerged with his gun drawn. "
Of course he did. Pot might have been weaponized.

So fucking stupid and pointless. This shit is legal in parts of your country, you morons! What are you doing weed stings for?!

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I will wait for video.

Fake edit; Oh no, video? Evidence points to cops lying? Surprise, surprise.

Zaptruder

Banned
For years, I've argued against the death penatly.

I think I might be reversing my stance. I say we reserve it for those in positions of authority that abuse their power in grevious ways.

I feel it might actually create a significant enough deterrence and save enough lives to warrant the loss of innocent lives that might occur when the process fails (but really, when we get to stick a camera on all these fuckers, the accuracy rate really improves).

Kinyou

Bowdz

I honestly, for the life of me, cannot understand how ANYONE can be opposed to universal body cameras for officers nationwide after the Tensing video from Cincinnati demonstrated he blatantly lied about the encounter.

If you care about justice in this country and give a damn about the truth, then you should be in favor of body cameras.

Siegcram

For years, I've argued against the death penatly.

I think I might be reversing my stance. I say we reserve it for those in positions of authority that abuse their power in grevious ways.

I feel it might actually create a significant enough deterrence and save enough lives to warrant the loss of innocent lives that might occur when the process fails (but really, when we get to stick a camera on all these fuckers, the accuracy rate really improves).
Yeah sure, the hailed deterrent factor has to kick in some time, right?

Maybe work on bringing those cops to an actual trial first and see how that goes.

Aurongel

A violent end to a non-violent offender.

RIP, hope justice gets served here.
I can't tell the difference anymore unless I know an inside joke.
We live in a crazy racist world where Facebook memes of minions are used to spread ignorant beliefs. I agree that it's hard to separate sarcastic hyperbole from some of the legit racist insanity I've seen online.

Beartruck

no video plus the guy was assisting in drug dealing, dude got what he deserved.

Yeah, people totally deserve to get brutally murdered over a couple grams of weed that a friend was selling. Imagine we were in prohibition times and i filled your brother with lead for carrying a coors light. Does that seem like justice to you?

I think what needs to happen is police should no longer be allowed to carry guns by default. They get a taser and a nightstick.
A cop can carry a gun only if they've been through very long, very rigorous training in handling a gun and interacting with suspects.

I still feel that the majority of police offers might be fine, decent people, but it's clear that we have way, way, way too many "bad apples" in the batch and something drastic needs to be done to weed them out.

RIP. I hope that relatives and friends of the young man are able to find peace after this.

That said, I also hope that evidence is sufficient enough to put what appears to be a straight up murderer behind bars for the rest of his life.

RS4-

RIP. I hope that relatives and friends of the young man are able to find peace after this.

That said, I also hope that evidence is sufficient enough to put what appears to be a straight up murderer behind bars for the rest of his life.

I think there was a stat that had zero scum cops put in jail for murder. Maybe just a hand full for manslaughter, could be wrong.

Fuck cops.

We are entering the most disgusting chicken vs egg argument ever.

Increased Cop killings leading to officers being 'scared, cautious, careful' whatever you call it.

Continual murder of 'fleeing, unarmed, non-threatening' suspects leading to resentment and increases in attack on officers.

I'm already hearing it and it goes nowhere : (

JDSN

Banned
Captive was just doing the media protocol for police's victims. It usually goes Death by cop---> Drug related bust + Rap sheet + Pictures on facebook giving the middle finger to the camera = Death justified.

No one has commented on saggings pants, unmarried parents or rap cars, so there is a chance that this one actually gets punished. RIP.

Syriel

So fucking stupid and pointless. This shit is legal in parts of your country, you morons! What are you doing weed stings for?!

It's not "legal" in any part of the country as of yet. At least not officially.

Congress hasn't changed the law on the books, so it is still prohibited by Federal law. The only thing stopping enforcement is an executive order.

A new president and that all potentially changes.

yeah man he totally deserved to be shot twice because he sold a guy some pot which is legal in 3 US states

how much paint did you huff before you got on ur computer today

Jhriad

The fact that the passenger was charged with a misdemeanor in South Carolina means that they're not charging the girl with Sale/Trafficking but rather simple Possession of less than an ounce of weed. This is hardly worth the life of some poor kid driving the car.

PSY・S;173963742 said:
I don't even know how you can read captive's post in a sarcastic tone.

You can't. Even if it's not meant as a serious response it's an asinine response to another example of police brutality and a poor way to prompt discussion of the topic at hand. If you want to joke around about a kid losing his life do it somewhere else.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Over a fucking pot sting? Dusgusting on every level.

PSY・S;173963742 said:
I don't even know how you can read captive's post in a sarcastic tone.
It's a white kid, ergo no one will say this seriously, unlike with a black kid where his entire life will be scrutinized for a laundry list of "justifications"

He's not wrong. Ironically the by very definition discriminate drug war can cast a wide indiscriminate net

Wait a minute, you guys are trying to tell me that the police in this country would do something like this and then lie about it? Highly unlikely.

I hope this isn't necessary, but after seeing some of the previous posts in this thread I'm just going to clarify that I'm being sarcastic here.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
You can't. Even if it's not meant as a serious response it's an asinine response to another example of police brutality and a poor way to prompt discussion of the topic at hand. If you want to joke around about a kid losing his life do it somewhere else.

You can. Sarcasm and humor are coping mechanisms and its not just some tasteless haha you're dead joke, its referencing a good section of the public's indifferent or judgmental outlook on the people being needlessly killed by police officers.

Apath

Considering multiple people picked up on it, I'd say you're quite able to.

billeh

Illegal weed is basically a jobs program for law enforcement and the prison industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom