• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police shoot and kill young man in vehicle, cop insists he attempted to ram officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rembrandt

Banned
honestly, who's surprised?

cops have such freedom to do what they want because countless dickheads will defend them to death.

Illegal weed is basically a jobs program for law enforcement and the prison industry.

Well I can tell you state run prison officers aren't jumping with joy when new nonviolent drug offenders arrive. Most prisons are under staffed.

I'd rather see those guys in treatment or the whole drug thing decriminilized.

Rembrandt

Banned
Well I can tell you state run prison officers aren't jumping with joy when new nonviolent drug offenders arrive. Most prisons are under staffed.

I'd rather see those guys in treatment or the whole drug thing decriminilized.

a lot of prisons are getting paid per diem for each prisoner, along with using them for free labor for more companies you would think, including the military. the for-profit industry thrives off strict immigration and drug laws.

Many people in and out of the system need to stop treating cops like fabrige eggs and critique them more and more. Watch their every move because using power like this should not be allowed.

Jhriad

Considering multiple people picked up on it, I'd say you're quite able to.
its referencing a good section of the public's indifferent or judgmental outlook on the people being needlessly killed by police officers.

Which could be made quite clear with a tiny amount of additional text (a simple "/s" even) and would keep threads from derailing, like our comments on the matter are currently doing. I'll leave it there so that I don't derail the thread further.

sonicmj1

Picture of the victim from the Greenville page:

B9318268169Z.1_20150729182012_000_G3OBG2GAT.1-0.jpg

RIP. Another victim of trigger-happy cops.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
no video plus the guy was assisting in drug dealing, dude got what he deserved.
Fuck you. No one deserves to be murdered, especially not by someone that is supposed to be serving them. And yes, police are supposed to serve all individuals, even criminals. For criminals like drug dealers, they are supposed to apprehend them and deliver them to the criminal justice system so that they can be rehabilitated into productive members of society and correct undesirable behavior. Not kill them.

Your views are disgusting

And no video doesn't mean anything when the physical bullet wounds show that they entered fron the back and the cop claimed that he wass trying to ram him from the front, and there were multiple wounds when the cop could not have got off multiple shots in the time it would have taken the car to run over him

You're stupid.

Man, it's almost every week now. Crazy how a few cameras or some protesting can change the way these types of crimes are dealt with.
Instead of getting away without a problem, they'll get punished for a few months then sent back to the streets.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
You're stupid.

Man, it's almost every week now. Crazy how a few cameras or some protesting can change the way these types of crimes are dealt with.
Instead of getting away without a problem, they'll get punished for a few months then sent back to the streets.

Killedbypolice.net . The police are killing 3-4 people each day.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This is ridiculous.

Police are too god damned quick to go for their firearm and use it. Why are police so fucking terrified of everyone?

Such a senseless tragedy.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I assumed this was an obvious satirical joke but maybe I am missing something. Also felt like a non offensive appropriate use of sarcasm aimed at the real defense force.

How are you not banned?

He is banned, which I feel is a mistake unless his post history indicates otherwise.

Skyzard

Banned
pretty sure it was sarcastic too, but I dunno his history. Was bit OTT maybe.

Anyway, you know that counted website someone put up a few days ago, I was surfing that and found something not too different from a little while ago too.

Wasn't a setup to buy drugs but the guy had attacked officers before.

Anyway, in a parking lot for a supermarket, shot from behind and on the side and the excuse was he was driving at them, which was denied by witnesses.

I think it was in Florida as there was an interesting recommendation quote in the article by some Florida Police Department I think or something like that that basically said shooting at a vehicle for moving is not in the guidelines and saying a car coming at you is why you shot is not a reasonable defense.

This is because you can't predict where the car will go and the damage it will do if you shoot a vehicle, and the risk of hitting others, and still not preventing the car from coming at you, besides the potential for abuse.

PopeReal

Tax dollars going to pot stings? What a fucking waste.

Killing someone and lying about it? We have seen this before.

Rembrandt

Banned
It's still so insane that there was a drug sting over marijuana. Get your goddamn priorities straight.

i'm still upset about that vice doc that went in depth on that sting op involving that mentally impaired kid. shit is ridiculous. the sooner we legalize and regulate weed, the better.

Xcellere

You can't. Even if it's not meant as a serious response it's an asinine response to another example of police brutality and a poor way to prompt discussion of the topic at hand. If you want to joke around about a kid losing his life do it somewhere else.

We can joke about anything, even in horrible situations like this, as long as the correct intentions are there, i.e. to point out the absurdity of it all. The problem is that sometimes the joke is indistinguishable from the real responses people have to these types of tragedies.

I've seen hundreds of idiots post here and get banned because of legitimately horrific opinions, so it's absolutely possible that the post was real. If you're going to make a joke, there has to be some intonation that a joke is being made, otherwise you come off as just another asshole.

It's a hard balance.

wow.. it's amazing people have been conditioned to be so anti drug that drug dealing weed, which by the way is legal in our nations capital, warrants death. what a shit post.

norm9

This is definitely sarcasm. He's pointing out it was a drug situation PLUS there was no video to go against the cop's testimony so therefore it was a justifiable homicide, per the usual headlines where we only hear the cop's perspective.

Aim your outrage elsewhere, where it belongs.

Which is a significantly bigger problem in this country than weed could ever hope to be.

exactly . if people can support a McDonalds and liquor store on every corner in America, then I'm not sure why people cant support drugs being legal or decriminalized . last I checked no one cares about the family who eats themselves to death going to fast food joints every night , or the promise that night clubs and other venues offer involving severe intoxication . seems like the morals standards shift for arbitrary reasons.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Went the fuck are they still doing weed stings?

Seriously, they should be refocusing towards meth, heroine and the like.

I don't think they should be jailed, but forced rehab programs should be the norm. But that's another discussion...

Seesaw15

Late to the party but seems like pretty cut and dry sarcasm. Cops word against the "criminal" is usually how the narrative goes.

Though I'm curious since this is a young white guy with braces if the cops will feel more public pressure to punisher the officer.

Either way RIP. Hope his family gets some justice.

a lot of prisons are getting paid per diem for each prisoner, along with using them for free labor for more companies you would think, including the military. the for-profit industry thrives off strict immigration and drug laws.

That's why I said STATE prisons. Private prisons are terrible. No argument there.

Piggus

Over some fucking pot. Good job, America

Yeah, this is totally every American's fault, even those who live 3,000 miles away where weed is legal.

This is why I will never care about any ills that happen to cops.

As someone who's life was saved by a cop, how about you grow the hell up? Do you wish the same on soldiers? The police in the US as an institution clearly has problems. But believe it or not, cops are people with families of their own, and not all of them are power-obsessed pricks. You sound like my dumbass cousin who only hates all cops because she and her equally dumb friends are constantly getting into trouble.

norm9

Do you even need video if you have autopsy results which clearly contradict the police report?

You need video, autopsy reports, at least three independent witnesses, surveillance footage from across the street, etc., and it still might not be enough.

minx

This is why I will never care about any ills that happen to cops.

What a wonderful thing to say. Let's generalize against a group of 500,000 people!

We are never going to know what really happened since there is no video (this is why body cameras are great and will be mandatory soon) but only going by what the lawyer of the killed individual says is not the best way to base your opinion on what occurred. Especially when he says "The shots were so close in proximity to each other that it would be physically impossible unless the car was stopped and the officer came up very close to an open window,” and "Picture a car going 20 miles an hour and I’m fortunate enough to get a shot off, and I hit you —there’s no way I can get the second shot if the car’s going 20 miles an hour.

That second quote just proves he has no clue what he is talking about. I could unload 9 round in less than 3 seconds. The shots in the back seems odd but I'm not how the officer approached the car, from the front, back, or side. Not nearly enough info here a for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom