• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police shoot and kill young man in vehicle, cop insists he attempted to ram officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
damn people, get your sarcasm detectors fixed. Thank to those that clearly picked up on it.

Sorry my post was so derailing for you, I was simply pointing out the general publics and media's reaction whenever someone is killed by the cops and tangentially has anything to do with drugs. Yes, a lot of people do think dealing drugs is a death sentence. Me on the other hand I believe weed should be completely legal, and thus this "sting" operation would have never happened. I think its a horrible tragedy that this kid was murdered and will not get a chance to live his life because of shoddy police work based on the crap war on drugs.

How bout you check my post history in the "awful right wing facebook photos" thread, the multitude of Trayvon Martin threads and the many police killing threads, before condemning me for one sarcastic post.

I suppose it is the inevitable downside of our community growing so large, not every one knows and remembers every poster.

thanks to the mod that unbanned me.

Loakum

Banned
marijuana should not be fucking illegal in the first place.

He was being sarcastic. He didn't mean that statement literally.

damn people, get your sarcasm detectors fixed. Thank to those that clearly picked up on it.

Sorry my post was so derailing for you, I was simply pointing out the general publics and media's reaction whenever someone is killed by the cops and tangentially has anything to do with drugs. Yes, a lot of people do think dealing drugs is a death sentence. Me on the other hand I believe weed should be completely legal, and thus this "sting" operation would have never happened. I think its a horrible tragedy that this kid was murdered and will not get a chance to live his life because of shoddy police work based on the crap war on drugs.

How bout you check my post history in the "awful right wing facebook photos" thread, the multitude of Trayvon Martin threads and the many police killing threads, before condemning me for one sarcastic post.

My sarcasm radar detected your sarcasm. The sad thing is, many folks actually think that way. Fox News literally breaths that way of thinking. Meygan Kelly being one of the worse.

Well seeing as how this is a story about someone shot and killed by the police arguably unjustly, perhaps it wasn't the most appropriate time for sarcasm.

Loakum

Banned
Well seeing as how this is a story about someone shot and killed by the police arguably unjustly, perhaps it wasn't the most appropriate time for sarcasm.

I agree. What I find most sickening, these types of unarmed shootings are becoming way too common. :(

GhaleonEB

I suppose it is the inevitable downside of our community growing so large, not every one knows and remembers every poster.

What's really unfortunate is your post was entirely indistinguishable from a lot of what's out there, including some that made their way into prior GAF threads about recent police shootings. What should be clear sarcasm could read either way (as demonstrated by the mixed reactions in the thread). We're to the point where sarcasm / parody can be a dead ringer for actual opinion; it's like when the Onion stories start reading like straight news. It was clear from your post history that you were sarcastic, but not everyone checks that context. Might be worth being more clear down the road. :p

Africanus

I always believed in you.

No footage means my mind immediately goes to the cop murdering this kid and none of the what the cops says being true.

You earn the benefit of the doubt and nothing US cops have done warrants affording them that benefit.

SmokyDave

How 'bout people stop competing to see who can post the most sarcastic and played out reply in these threads?

We're at the point now where nobody has said any of the shit that gets strawmanned in these threads because there's no room for other posts amongst all the sarcastic replies.

Shredderi

Well well, what do we have here? A cop murdering a guy for pot? Par for the course it seems. Let me guess the officer in question somehow felt himself threatened so his first instinct is to kill anyone he perceives as a threat. I mean it's always gotta go straight to killing, not incapacitating or something else inbetween.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Oh sheesh stop being a drama queen.

You can't exactly fault people for misinterpreting your post, due to precisely the bolded above.

Anyways, man, there are still police doing this even though they SHOULD be aware the disastrous PR image the cops have in there currently? Mind-boggling.

So, they shot the driver and lied that he was trying to run the cop down?

So when will a complete overhaul of police procedures happen? Is it going to happen? I mean, I'd be inclined to think not considering that despite all the school shootings there's never been a clamp down on firearms in America, but given that there seems to be a couple of unlawful police shootings per week there, one assumes that the powers that be would decide something must be done.

So, they shot the driver and lied that he was trying to run the cop down?

So when will a complete overhaul of police procedures happen? Is it going to happen? I mean, I'd be inclined to think not considering that despite all the school shootings there's never been a clamp down on firearms in America, but given that there seems to be a couple of unlawful police shootings per week there, one assumes that the powers that be would decide something must be done.

We're having enough trouble trying to get the population at large admitting there's something wrong when we have footage, let alone the people who are part of the system. Too many people in high and low places are invested in protecting officers so a complete overhaul seems unlikely to me personally. Might get a few PDs reformatting here and there but places like Ferguson where only a few people were fired even though horrid practices were found, might never change without a top down change in their local government.

You can't exactly fault people for misinterpreting your post, due to precisely the bolded above.

Anyways, man, there are still police doing this even though they SHOULD be aware the disastrous PR image the cops have in there currently? Mind-boggling.

No man. People make shitty posts and its our fault for not keeping up with their other shitty posts to know they're one of the good ones.

Sarcasm every time someone gets killed is corny and terrible.

Cimarron

Of course he did. Pot might have been weaponized.

So fucking stupid and pointless. This shit is legal in parts of your country, you morons! What are you doing weed stings for?!

$$$ Thats why. Often times money obtained from stings goes into the departments coffers. This needs to stop.

captive

How 'bout people stop competing to see who can post the most sarcastic and played out reply in these threads?

We're at the point now where nobody has said any of the shit that gets strawmanned in these threads because there's no room for other posts amongst all the sarcastic replies.
take it up with the mods.

I wasn't trying to compete for anything. I was simply saying what the media and idiots are going to say when they see he was involved with drugs (lol weed). could it have been worded different, sure, maybe I should put huge SARCASM tags around it.

I'll not be a scapegoat. Its ridiculous that other people do it all the fucking time in all of these threads, and make far worse comments, yet in this one thread I'm the bad guy. So again, you got a problem with it, take it up with the mods and have them add it to the TOS. And as others said, sarcasm and jokes are a way of dealing with the nonsense of it all. I'm fucking sick and tired of seeing these threads were some poor(sometimes literally) person was shot at or murdered by the police with no fucking repurcusions, I'm sorry my post doesn't fit your sensibilities. But frankly this thread would be pretty fucking boring if everyone just posted RIP. Since you're English, as I know you are a more well known poster, ill borrow one of your phrases, piss off.

how is that being a drama queen? Its a simple fact, if I were a more well known poster with an avatar instead of not having an avatar, no one would have batted an eye at my post.

Xe4

Banned
How in the world was the police officer not wearing a body cam... Sigh. I should be used to this by now but it still is aweful beyond beleif.

captive

Wonder what the overlap will be between Darren Wilson defenders (the autopsy shows he was right!) and defenders of this cop.

I think you would have to compare the overlap of people that hate drugs to the people that hate black people. The Darren Wilson defenders are pretty blatantly racist, to the point that they pass around false photos of Michael Brown holding guns and alcohol, but had barely any evidence of drugs or drug use. Vs this guy, is white, but was involved in dealing drugs.

When I hear these outlandish stories the police concoct about what happened (and I see an officer combat rolling at a fucking pool party for teens) it makes me wonder just how many police "reports" are filled with their fantasies of what happened at the scene.

Jhriad

damn people, get your sarcasm detectors fixed.

I don't know who you are, I don't know your posting style and I shouldn't be expected to know that for every user. Post your sarcastic remark but then afterwards be clear with your intent. After the "lol, they fell for it!" responses to unclear posts like yours it feels like I've seen a number of people fishing for the same "Gotcha!" moments in other threads and it's hard to discern between a post fishing for responses similar to those in this thread, genuine critique, and a serious response.

Thinking everyone should read through your post history before responding is an unreasonable expectation. Everyone values their time and we shouldn't have to dig through your post history to make sure that we can be reasonably sure our interpretation of your post was correct when you could easily have made it quite clear while still making your intended point. We have to remind ourselves that we're not only speaking to a small collective of friends and acquaintances, as much as some areas of this forum can feel that way, but to a much larger pool of individuals the world over. As we move forward into a future where a progressively larger percentage of our daily communication will be through digital media like this we have to make the effort to ensure we are trading as little of the clarity and nuance available in personal interactions for the sake of celerity. It's not easy, and it's undoubtedly something that I'm terrible at as well, but until we find new methods of reinserting the nuance of physical interaction into our digital interactions it's something we all have to keep in mind when communicating with one another.

Patrol

Banned
It's a justified shoot if the officer was in fear of GBI/death due to the car coming at him; that is assuming the investigation/evidence corroborates his report. Unfortunately, there is a distinct lack of information here so it's hard to really argue anything here either way.

Kenstar

I don't know who you are, I don't know your posting style and I shouldn't be expected to know that for every user. Post your sarcastic remark but then afterwards be clear with your intent. After the "lol, they fell for it!" responses to unclear posts like yours it feels like I've seen a number of people fishing for the same "Gotcha!" moments in other threads and it's hard to discern between a post fishing for responses similar to those in this thread, genuine critique, and a serious response.

Thinking everyone should read through your post history before responding is an unreasonable expectation. Everyone values their time and we shouldn't have to dig through your post history to make sure that we can be reasonably sure our interpretation of your post was correct when you could easily have made it quite clear while still making your intended point. We have to remind ourselves that we're not only speaking to a small collective of friends and acquaintances, as much as some areas of this forum can feel that way, but to a much larger pool of individuals the world over. As we move forward into a future where a progressively larger percentage of our daily communication will be through digital media like this we have to make the effort to ensure we are trading as little of the clarity and nuance available in personal interactions for the sake of celerity. It's not easy, and it's undoubtedly something that I'm terrible at as well, but until we find new methods of reinserting the nuance of physical interaction into our digital interactions it's something we all have to keep in mind when communicating with one another.

Summarized version:

UNACCEPTABLE
"no video plus the guy was assisting in drug dealing, dude got what he deserved."

ACCEPTABLE
no video plus the guy was assisting in drug dealing, dude got what he deserved.
g6cYnyw.png

captive

No, don't assume all of America is the same. The Northwest is a very different place compared to the south.

yea, they're openly racist, while the south is politely racist, that southern hospitality.

Man, when I saw his post, that's the first thing I did - hit up his post history. And you know what?

Took literally five seconds of skimming one page for me to tell he was being sarcastic

Downhome

Las week I posted in the other recent shooting thread about this story but no one else really commented on it, but I guess it was just lost in that thread.

This happened in my town, and everyone here is absolutely appalled about this shooting, obviously. I've never heard of anything like this happening before in our area, not quite like this. The police here have no history of any sort of brutality, and other than random issues that happen so rarely they are rarely in the news for anything really, even locally. I know many that work there, I know the coroner personally, most of the big "players". I'm not special, it's just how it is in the town to be honest.

I think this is a case of one idiot cop who was too trigger happy. I don't buy for a second that this kid was in any way trying to actually attack, or much less kill, the officer. His girlfriend was sitting in the car just eating an ice cream cone when this all went down and he was shot.

I'm shocked we haven't heard anything about a video coming out at all. It's right next door to a bank, but that doesn't mean much since cameras may not be pointed in that direction. But still, surely there is something somewhere...

E3Wibw9.jpg

I'm disgusted over the entire thing, as should everyone else be.

Same here, with the other thread where the cop got shot I was like, meh? It was hard for me to care
i mean, it is sad that a police officer was shot but why should it be treated as a more important story than any other innocent civilian shot?

like that scene in dkr: these people haven't seen daylight in 5 months.
robin: police officers who haven't seen daylight in 5 months.

so fucking what? if they were civilians trapped underneath, it'd be a less task to bring them all to the surface and safety?
Man, when I saw his post, that's the first thing I did - hit up his post history. And you know what?

Took literally five seconds of skimming one page for me to tell he was being sarcastic
i can't tell if you're serious or not.

Here is a writeup the LA Times posted on the entire thing earlier tonight...

http://www.latimes.com/nation/natio...mmond-police-shooting-20150804-htmlstory.html
the story is not being ignored, but rather is spreading slowly.
if it isn't picking up steam now, it's only going to become less relevant. the article does say the autopsy results will officially be released wednesday though.

That's not what I got from it.
i'm not sure if he's serious.

low-G

What was the quote? "Every death related infraction by police in the past year where a camera was involved have proven that the police have lied,"?

The sad thing is, I'm becoming pretty numb to the news. It's like, "yeah, they're still trying to kill us. How's the dow doing today?"

Media won't push the issue.
Government won't do anything.
Police are corrupt, won't do anything.
People won't revolt.
Even crazies won't kill the right people.

We're doomed.

Omega

Banned
Have the police thought about expanding their enterprise and taking on contracts yet? or maybe that's exactly what all of this is and I just don't realize

They won't need to rely on civil forfeiture to buy their magarita blenders

Nydius

Gold Member
682 and Counting.

It's pretty sad that it takes the US office of a UK newspaper to track this information while US based media agencies do little.

That said, this list doesn't judge each incident - meaning it doesn't break down "justified" vs. "unjustified" use of lethal force - but rather merely tracks the number of people killed by police or while in police custody. It does provide news links for each though.

Here is a writeup the LA Times posted on the entire thing earlier tonight...

http://www.latimes.com/nation/natio...mmond-police-shooting-20150804-htmlstory.html

The same questions were raised in regards to Dillon Taylor, although in that particular case, we did have video evidence of the incident. I think a large reason why white people being brutalized or murdered by the police tends to fly below the radar is because generally, white people don't speak out as much about it, even on social media. They aren't as proactive and don't have the same history of being profiled by the police, so they're more trusting of them. What this means is they're likely to trust an officer's judgment and chalk it up to the victim's actions or criminal history if one exists.

People form and reinforce beliefs based on personal experiences, so unless white Americans start getting profiled and targeted by cops at a similar rate, they'll feel that these injustices are avoidable as long as people mind their own business and don't start any trouble. A common sentiment is that black people commit homicide at a really disproportionate rate given their population size, so being wary of anyone who looks black is a simple precaution given the statistics. The imagery of the "violent black man" is so ingrained that they'll be less empathetic in these cases if it means their "safety" is being prioritized.

Opto

Banned
I saw people who support Black Lives Matter caring more about this incident than other people.

Can't recall the specific tweet but I remember someone saying something like "Hey, #AllLivesMatter, where's your outrage?"

SmokyDave

I'll not be a scapegoat. Its ridiculous that other people do it all the fucking time in all of these threads, and make far worse comments, yet in this one thread I'm the bad guy.
I can't be arsed to get into the rest, I'll just say that I agree with this bit and it wasn't my intention to paint you as some big bad guy. Just the latest in a long line of jokers telling the same old joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom