• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Nintendo getting the (alleged) Final Fantasy 6 remake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around the time of E3, a pretty popular GAFer (I can't remember his name, but let's call him Reliable McLeaks) shared a bunch of confidential info about the announcement being made at the conference, the biggest being FF7R which was a huge stretch of the imagination but turned out true. One of the other titles he listed was a remake of FF6.

Now a few years ago, Square started a trend of remaking the older FF games for Nintendo's handheld systems. They've completed 1-4, and ended up doing 2D HD remakes of 5 and 6 for iOS. Many people would agree that FF6 is a game that's synonymous will the Super Nintendo. Regardless of whether it was ported to other consoles, FF6 was born on the SNES and was an extremely popular game for the console. Not to mention Nomura explicitly stating he wanted more FF remakes.

With all quiet on the Western front regarding the remake and with Nintendo brewing its strategy for the launch of the NX, in part with Square already showing interest in the system through their Dragon Quest comments a few weeks ago, I think it would be a big no brainer for Nintendo to announce (and maybe even help finance) the remake of FF6 for the NX once the system has been revealed.

Thoughts? Do you think there's a possibility this is happening?

Sidenote: Blonde Terra is trash and every game that features her should be tried for crimes against humanity. Bye.

rYsem02m.png

I don't think Square has the manpower, honestly. They need to work on getting out FFVIIR, KH3, FFXV, presumably the next XIV expansion, all of their mobile titles, etc

Not now, but... Eventually.

Instro

Pretty sure that was Verendus...I mean he seems relatively accurate, but at the same time he has been wrong before.

Whoever gets that remake, if it exists, I'll be there.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'll buy a system for a competent remake of FF VI. V too at this point. Very few games get this honor from me.

Nesther

I sincerely hope Square does not consider this for the next few years. They need to focus on getting their current shit (close to) out of the door first.

Chobel

Reliable McLeaks also said that 2 games in that list may not make it, I suspect FFVI is one of them.

Zomba13

No it won't happen. The most that will happen is a port of the ugly phone games.

After seeing SE give III and IV love and full 3D chibi graphics with really nice CGI cutscenes you'd hope they would do the same for V and IV but they won't. They didn't even bother doing it like FFI and II where they made a really nice 2D version of the games, they did an ugly mess.

I'd probably have to buy something for that. As weary of any change as I am, I also wouldn't mind a little more thought and challenge to the battles like IV got on the DS.

Agreed on blonde Terra. tf is that? Might as well be Rosa.

Blonde Terra and Blonde Faris are the best.

Come at mmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeee.

(I have to admit, I quite liked the DS FFIII/FFIV remakes, so I'd be happy even with something along the lines of that for FFVI. The iOS version was a bit of a bummer.)

Unless Nintendo pays for it, it's not happening. Not any time soon anyways.

Multiplatform though? Sure. But not with an AAA budget. Maybe a 3DS quality game that they can port to phones and home consoles easily.
Which would be great. I love FF3 and FF4 on the DS. If they can use that same style but in a higher definition and more detailed it would be great.

tabata did an interview where he brought up a FFVI remake and said "Not in my department!". So somebody elses???? #believe

http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/13/final...at-it-all-comes-down-to-is-the-story-5341520/

C: It is almost overwhelming to think how much has changed in the last 10 years, from the nature of the industry itself to Square Enix’s position within it and the role-playing genre at large. How do you see Final Fantasy now as a franchise? If someone says the name to me I tend to think of VI, but that’s obviously a million miles away from where you were at the start of the project, let alone now.

HT: First of all, I just want to point out that my favourite of all the Final Fantasy games so far has been VI.

GC: Well, that’s encouraging in itself!

HT: While I’m making the game I’m always thinking that after we release XV I hope that becomes number one! [laughs] Everyone has their own favourite Final Fantasy game, but I really want as many people as possible to, when I release the game, to say, “Yeah, XV was the best! That’s my favourite!”.

The things that we’re really putting a lot of emphasis on, that we really value in the development of Final Fantasy XV, is that I believe it really has to have the best technology that we can put in there. And have that support the best possible game experience. That’s my image of what Final Fantasy has to be and should be. And it’s the top technology available used to make the best game experience we can. It’s a very simple way of looking at it, but that’s my philosophy and what I want to do with XV.

That’s quite a broad statement, so it’s quite easy to misunderstand me. But really, what it all comes down to is the story, the experience, and how great a story that is. And the way I see it the technology is important, it’s very important, but it’s important because you use that to tell the story. The combat system, the art, the whole game development, the technology itself – that’s all about telling the story. And all of the aspects of the game.

But I very much get you, and I agree at the moment that VI is the best. [laughs]

GC: In terms of story…

HT: You can talk about VI more if you want! [laughs]

GC: [laughs] I’d love to, but I think we’re a bit short on time here.

HT: We get a lot of people asking for a remake of VI…

GC: Well, are you going to do a remake of VI, then? I’ll ask that!

HT: Not in my department!

All: [laughs]

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The only time I have ever gotten mad about the idea of a remake was when those rumors of Back to the Future being remade came out.

Today is instance number two.

120v

i suspect V and VI remakes were planned for 3DS but the sales for the IV remake weren't that great so they made 4 Heroes of Light as a creative diversion and never got around to V and VI

anyway, yeah i think VI will be remade. it's the most critically acclaimed game outside of VII. what platform it ends up on is arbitrary at this point because it's likely a ways off

Reset

If Nintendo gets a FFVI remake, I think it'll be most likely for the handheld and be similar to IV remake on the DS. If it's for home consoles, I don't see Nintendo getting it unless they plan on funding it.

Trago

Can you imagine that iconic intro sequence rendered beautifully in Unreal 4? Would kick ass. To be honest, I want a remake of this game more than VII, it's the best game in the series. I am afraid of potential changes they could make that could end up pissing everyone off. Kitase wouldn't fail us, right? Right?

gdt

You'd have to be insane (or desperate) to give Nintendo anything exclusive at all really. Unless they completely funded the port and marketing really.

Even if they did more money would be made on PC and the Sony systems.

MDSLKTR

Totally exclusive to the next nintendo console yes, I mean we have the last 20 years as proof that square will do just that

crinale

IIRC Reliable McLeaks guy gets information from Sony side only so I donno..
However I also do remember that some of his items on his list may end up on Nintendo platform, but like I said he mentioned he can't be sure anything other than Sony platform because he doesn't have source..

?? I'm confused, is this sarcastic because there were a lot of the 2D FF remakes on the DS.

Plus Final Fantasy Explorers, Theatrhythm, half a dozen Crystal Chronicles games, Revenant Wings, Tactics Advance, A2, 4 Heroes of Light, Bravely Default/Second, Dragon Quest IX ...

sörine

Banned
Totally exclusive to the next nintendo console yes, I mean we have the last 20 years as proof that square will do just that
We've only ever had exclusive FF remakes on two platforms ever: WSC and DS. They all were ported around a ton later though.

I still say get the Bravely Default guys to do it. Use the same engine and you can even have unlockable "costumes" both for things like Strago's and Relm's "suits" and having stuff like green haired and original Amano Terra available.

I can see them remaking FF6 in the same vein as the 3 and 4 remakes (including that turn based combat everyone just seems to love) but they got to remake 5 first. If there's any main series game that doesn't get enough love it's that one. Then they can remake 6.

I didn't like the DS remakes. Their art style is way too cartoony. Despite the limitations of the original SNES sprites making the graphics a little "chibi", it really doesn't translate well as an explicit art style in 3D. If they make an FFVI remake I definitely don't want them to do that art style.

I mean compare this:

to this:

ugh.

Snakeyes

You'd have to be insane (or desperate) to give Nintendo anything exclusive at all really. Unless they completely funded the port and marketing really.

Even if they did more money would be made on PC and the Sony systems.

As a multiplat? I doubt it.

I didn't like the DS remakes. Their art style is way too cartoony. Despite the limitations of the original SNES sprites making the graphics a little "chibi", it really doesn't translate well as an explicit art style in 3D. If they make an FFVI remake I definitely don't want them to do that art style.

I mean compare this:

to this:

ugh.
LOL its not like the NES sprites were any better. I mean, you could compare the Amano artwork to what really came out in any FF and get the same effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom