• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Nintendo getting the (alleged) Final Fantasy 6 remake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL its not like the NES sprites were any better. I mean, you could compare the Amano artwork to what really came out in any FF and get the same effect.

I think the low level of detail of sprites kinda helped it, though. It let you "fill in the blanks" so to speak, so despite the original games not doing Amano's artwork justice either I think it's a hint closer than the DS remakes.

ReyVGM

Call me crazy but I read a comment from some SquareEnix dev saying something like: "there's a remake for FF7 coming, but I realized there are no remakes for FF5 and FF6. Maybe we should do something about it."

Can someone find that?

nakedeyes

Banned
The DS remakes kicked ass. I would absolutely love a 6 remake done in a similar style ( or in a different style all together, but those low poly chibi 3d models really translated well from the sprites in my opinion ).

jiggle

Well verendus did say there's one game that exists cuz Nintendo approached a company about it
or something like that

I was thinking it's xenoosaga HD
but this could be it too

NSESN

Well verendus did say there's one game that exists cuz Nintendo approached a company about it
or something like that

I was thinking it's xenoosaga HD
but this could be it too

Xenosaga is Namco Bandai.

EDIT: I misunderstood what you said, i need some sleep.

Call me crazy but I read a comment from some SquareEnix dev saying something like: "there's a remake for FF7 coming, but I realized there are no remakes for FF5 and FF6. Maybe we should do something about it."

Can someone find that?

That was Nomura. He said he'd like to see them made since SE had done all of the other ones until IV (and he started working in FF at V).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
LOL its not like the NES sprites were any better. I mean, you could compare the Amano artwork to what really came out in any FF and get the same effect.

I'd go as far to say that FF IV DS's art is in fact the closest any game has gotten to the Amano sketches for the characters.

jholmes

Square-Enix doesn't have the manpower to make the games it does announce to say nothing of games it doesn't announce. Square's also convinced FFVI isn't very good or isn't very well liked for some damn reason.

I dont think it matters what console a game was "born" on when it comes to this kind of thing.

This is true. Developers and publishers no longer even care where their fans are, to say nothing of where their fans were.

Omadahl

Banned
It's my favorite game of all time so... yeah, I'll buy a system for it.They better leave the Kefka laugh and son of a submariner in there though.

Mr. RPG

People always want remakes.

I just want another game that is at least half as good as Final Fantasy VI.

We can't even get that.

I'd like to see something similar to what they did with Romancing Saga Minstrel Song for the ps2(originally a snes game). Game looked great for the time and could be even better now(or just fit really well as is on a 3ds or something) and the combat was still fun, despite being turned-based... I mean because it was still turned based. I'd really love to see what they could do with FF6's ATB to bring it up to date, ala ff10-2 perhaps(but not ffxii, please god no).

Jigorath

Banned
Square barely makes Nintendo exclusive games anymore. If it ever actually exists, it'll be multiplatform. It would take a massive moneyhat from Nintendo to get a game like this exclusive and I don't think they'd be willing to do that.

He's making things up.

jholmes

Sakaguchi had an interview on Kotaku a while back saying he was shocked anyone in North America liked it because it didn't sell.

That and, well, look how they treated it with that iOS port, and then look how they just go on and on about the miracle that is FFVII.

Square barely makes Nintendo exclusive games anymore. If it ever actually exists, it'll be multiplatform. It would take a massive moneyhat from Nintendo to get a game like this exclusive and I don't think they'd be willing to do that.

He's making things up.

Sorry, do you want to tell me where you got "massive moneyhat" from or are you just going to run your mouth about other people making things up?

Jigorath

Banned
And I don't think this game will ever get remade. They'll remake IV for the 9th time instead.

Sorry, do you want to tell me where you got "massive moneyhat" from or are you just going to run your mouth about other people making things up?

Common sense?

If Nintendo was going to get a (potentially) major multi-million seller exclusive to their platform they would have to cough up some dough for it. Why else would Square keep it exclusive to one platform when they can port it around everywhere and get a ton more sales.

Square has actually said the opposite, that everyone has a lot of reverence for FFVI and they want to treat it right.

The iOS release is a blight on that sentiment, however, and I imagine no one but the accountants were happy about that.

I didn't like the DS remakes. Their art style is way too cartoony. Despite the limitations of the original SNES sprites making the graphics a little "chibi", it really doesn't translate well as an explicit art style in 3D. If they make an FFVI remake I definitely don't want them to do that art style.

I mean compare this:

to this:

ugh.
Amano's style will always be too wild, nonsensical and ridiculous no matter the level of fidelity capable.

Roo

Not as an exclusive, but I could see it being "First on NX" if Nintendo paid for part of the game's development.
It would be safer for them to pay for exclusive content instead of part of the game's development that will end up on rival consoles.

Typically, leakers sprinkle in bits of false information to keep themselves safe. Colin Moriarity has admitted to doing this when making E3 "predictions" on IGN's podcast beyond.

jholmes

Common sense?

If Nintendo was going to get a (potentially) major multi-million seller exclusive to their platform they would have to cough up some dough for it. Why else would Square keep it exclusive to one platform when they can port it around everywhere and get a ton more sales.

f8725ab1596a298d8042c79012968c94-how-to-purchase-a-game-with-an-embarrassing-cover.jpg

On topic, I'm not saying Square-Enix doesn't treat FFVI properly because I think the game sucks, far from it. But what I'm hearing about FFVII doesn't really make me want a remake.

Jigorath

Banned
f8725ab1596a298d8042c79012968c94-how-to-purchase-a-game-with-an-embarrassing-cover.jpg

On topic, I'm not saying Square-Enix doesn't treat FFVI properly because I think the game sucks, far from it. But what I'm hearing about FFVII doesn't really make me want a remake.

Oh yeah, a brand new IP is totally comparable to remake of one of the most beloved games in the franchise.

Great comparison.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Oh yeah, a brand new IP is totally comparable to remake of one of the most beloved games in the franchise.

Great comparison.

The game would sell the most by far on a Nintendo portable, which will be the NX by the time this hypothetical game is out. With the automatic compatibility with the home console NX platform, Square might not feel the need to port it around.

If Nintendo really wants to actually negotiate for exclusivity, they could always threaten the release on their system at all if they don't get at least timed exclusivity. There would go the bulk of the game's sales.

In reality they would offer to help with publishing and localization in the West, if it came down to it.

Jigorath

Banned
The game would sell the most by far on a Nintendo portable

lol no it won't. Major Final Fantasy games barely ever appear on Nintendo platforms. They haven't even received a mainline entry since forever ago. That's not where the fanbase is. A game like this would sell better on PS4, PC, probably even Xbone since they're at least getting XV. Okay maybe not Xbone.

The game would sell the most by far on a Nintendo portable, which will be the NX by the time this hypothetical game is out. With the automatic compatibility with the home console NX platform, Square might not feel the need to port it around.

If Nintendo really wants to actually negotiate for exclusivity, they could always threaten the release on their system at all if they don't get at least timed exclusivity. There would go the bulk of the game's sales.

In reality they would offer to help with publishing and localization in the West, if it came down to it.

In what world would Nintendo platforms make up the bulk of sales for FFVIr?

Calamari41

41 > 38
lol no it won't. Major Final Fantasy games barely ever appear on Nintendo platforms. They haven't even received a mainline entry since forever ago. That's not where the fanbase is. A game like this would sell better on PS4, PC, probably even Xbone since they're at least getting XV. Okay maybe not Xbone.

Sales of a FFVI remake on a Nintendo portable in Japan alone would dwarf everything else.

Neoxon

I'd assume this would be for the NX Platform if this pans out. And if so, Square-Enix must be throwing some heavy support behind the NX Platform. Throw in Kingdom Hearts III & we'd have a full-on Square-Enix party on both the NX Console & Handheld.

orochi91

Nintendo exclusive?

Why would SE ever ignore the PS4 install base with regards to a mainline FF remake, especially for the NX of all things lol

I think it's just a question of time. Would love to play it on Vita or 3DS, never managed to play through the original/GBA.

Jigorath

Banned
Sales of a FFVI remake on a Nintendo portable in Japan alone would dwarf everything else.

And you're basing this on?

The Final Fantasy IV remake on DS (the last major FF project on a Nintendo platform) shipped only 1.1m copies worldwide.

You're forgetting that Final Fantasy is a worldwide brand, and the world is a lot bigger than Japan. A game like this would get most of it's sales from PS4+PC. Which is why Nintendo exclusivity isn't going to happen unless Square suddenly stops caring about money.

Breads

Banned
I didn't like the DS remakes. Their art style is way too cartoony. Despite the limitations of the original SNES sprites making the graphics a little "chibi", it really doesn't translate well as an explicit art style in 3D. If they make an FFVI remake I definitely don't want them to do that art style.

As much as I enjoyed the 3ds game I have to agree. What made it worse was how amazing the CGI was in the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT12DW2Fm9M

I so want to see one game.... just ONE game with Amano's original designs but in 3d. The designs are there but I have a feeling that outside of this intro a fully realized 3d treatment of his original designs might never happen.

Forkball

FFVI is a fantastic game, but I don't see what Nintendo has to gain by funding a remake. FFVI is nowhere near the level of FFVII in terms of success and mainstream mindshare. If they were to remake it, I can only see something akin to the FFIV DS remakes for a handheld and not them throwing a AAA budget behind it.

Calamari41

41 > 38
And you're basing this on?

The Final Fantasy IV remake on DS (the last major FF project on a Nintendo platform) shipped only 1.1m copies worldwide.

You're forgetting that Final Fantasy is a worldwide brand, and the world is a lot bigger than Japan. A game like this would get most of it's sales from PS4+PC. Which is why Nintendo exclusivity isn't going to happen unless Square suddenly stops caring about money.

How well did the X/X-2 remasters on PS3 and Vita sell?

Not trying to one up you, I honestly don't know.

I'm not arguing for NX exclusivity, Btw. Just saying that they have other avenues than a cash payment to secure exclusivity or timed exclusivity if Nintendo wanted to go that route.

wmlk

Shockingly, I think you're actually right. I kinda remember them saying this.

But I think they said this before the mobile version was made right?

No, Nomura has said he's bothered that they "skipped" over FFV and FFVI. Seeing as they've done the GBA release, ports, and the mobile release, he's obviously talking about treating those games with a more respectable budget.

jb1234

A 3DS remake would be nice (and not too big a commitment for either party). Just like what they did with IV would be fantastic.

JCX

A remake using bravely default graphics wouldn't be too crazy, but something on the level of FFVIIr seems wild even for NX.

Nintendo exclusive?

Why would SE ever ignore the PS4 install base with regards to a mainline FF remake, especially for the NX of all things lol

It really wouldn't be that big of a deal to release on the NX family of systems and make it exclusive to those.

Not that I think it will happen.

sörine

Banned
Probably because it was the 4th release of FFIV within a decade. It did even worse afterwards on PSP, iOS, Android and Steam too.

Meanwhile just a year or so earlier FFIII on DS shipped 1.1m copies in Japan alone.

Jigorath

Banned
sörine;176566256 said:
Probably because it was the 4th release of FFIV within a decade. It did even worse afterwards on PSP, iOS, Android and Steam too.

Meanwhile just a year or so earlier FFIII on DS shipped 1.1m copies in Japan alone.

So you're telling me that you think a (hypothetical) FFVI remake would get most of it's sales from a Nintendo platform?

People console warring over games that by all accounts do not exist and will not for at least several years and whether or not they will be exclusive to systems that have not been released much less revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom