• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a lot of folks out there that keep saying the game is too simple because it doesn't have long-ass combos/tons of links/etc.

Then you have those who don't want any of that footsies thing and lament the lack of Fuerte/Viper-like bullshit, or want stupid normals to just throw out, all under the guise of "variety" and "zoning".
Hell I've seen people who wanted the crouch tech OS back too.

Man I hope Capcom Cup nails the presentation down. Even though I like the Capcom pro tour video with the cammy remix, I hope they also do a special video just for Capcom Cup. They know the players well in advance. The players come from 10 different countries. You have all this SF4 history captured in video. There's no reason why they shouldn't try to incorporate all of this.

Look to Topanga for inspiration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvW1b8pHGd0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHI2fm3ZjCw

MrDaravon

I see you're playing on PS4, is it easy to get games on there? No idea what the population was like or how many people moved over to that version. Probably going to bite on the PSN sale going right now, especially since I already have funds in my PS wallet. I'm super fucking terrible/casual so I don't know if that would actually make it easier or harder to get matches if the population is low. I need to break in this FC4 I bought but haven't gotten to really use :/

There are a lot of folks out there that keep saying the game is too simple because it doesn't have long-ass combos/tons of links/etc.

This should be a good thing imo. Back to basics. SF2T had no parry or dash and it's hardly "simple". Everything from the game is showing a high emphasis on defense. poking, normals. There's even a stun meter. SFV seems a game based wholly around fundamentals. How is this "simple"?

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...ighter-5-or-you-will-get-knocked-out-quickly/

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Vulva is just a slut that takes kouhais and throws them out once they beat him in matches. Cindi, come under my tutelage, the salt will make you grow. PM your steam name and you'll learn a very necessary matchup.
It'll be Trollento

What will the transformation be? Cocoon or butterfly? <3

All of us here have turned into demons cause of fighting games so it'll happen sooner or later where you'll start talking trash to someone on this thread.

Cinnamon on yams. LOL.

Have I found my partner in crime? My transformation to candiedyams will happen as soon as I absorb cindi. Then go on a cut from all the fat lol

Tactics -> Prison School?

Is this Yams certified?

When I hear someone's taste in games, which is already great in my book if tactics and ogre are mentioned, then they already have great taste in many other things.

mbpm1

Vulva is just a slut that takes kouhais and throws them out once they beat him in matches. Cindi, come under my tutelage, the salt will make you grow. PM your steam name and you'll learn a very necessary matchup.
It'll be Trollento

If this happens I might join in on the
date

With Dreamhack coming this weekend, we should all celebrate the two year anniversary of this fantastic moment

It's still so amazing to rewatch. I haven't seen it in a while so I laughed pretty hard just a moment ago. Amazing to see just how mind fucked Huw Dawson was. Didn't anti air, didn't punish sweep, constantly trying to hit 1f links when he was frustrated and angry to the max.

Reminds me of the time when I had something similar almost happen to me at a local. That was the angriest I ever was at a tournament despite winning and practically cheesing the other guy back.

It'll be Trollento

So he's a slut? Have you ever dropped a student?

All of us here have turned into demons cause of fighting games so it'll happen sooner or later where you'll start talking trash to someone on this thread.

I'll give your prison manga a shot. I love manga anyways if you couldn't tell by my avatar, though it is from an anime. I've heard a lot about it too, so I'm looking forward to it.

Have I found my partner in crime? My transformation to candiedyams will happen as soon as I absorb cindi. Then go on a cut from all the fat lol

XD

When I hear someone's taste in games, which is already great in my book if tactics and ogre are mentioned, then they already have great taste in many other things.

This is so flattering.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
So he's a slut? Have you ever dropped a student?

Nope, your my first student. I was never good at fighting games until I started going to tournaments to get my ass whooped. I couldn't even beat Dahbomb's guile like 8 months ago, now I can beat some of the better players here. Granted, DB doesn't play SF that often.

Edit:

Depending on where you live, going to tournaments helps you improve drastically too. I live in a pretty populated area with NLBC being a train away but others aren't so fortunate so traveling every once in a while is awesome.

I'll give your prison manga a shot. I love manga anyways if you couldn't tell by my avatar, though it is from an anime. I've heard a lot about it too, so I'm looking forward to it.

If you're into dirty comedy, then go for it. I'm sure you'll know what you're getting into once you read the first chapter.

Just a quick thought on Capcom Cup. Part of me thinks that all the winners of the Premier tournaments(including the returning champ) should automatically be seeded 1-16 and in the order of their total points with the remaining 16 being those that didn't win a automatic qualifier. That way right off the bat the guys who won those tournaments or finished high enough to earn the automatic bid will avoid each other off the bat and only face guys that qualify via points. This IMO makes earning a automatic bid even more important. Obviously it's too late this year but I hope they explore this idea for next year.

Nope, your my first student. I was never good at fighting games until I started going to tournaments to get my ass whooped. I couldn't even beat Dahbomb's guile like 8 months ago, now I can beat some of the better players here. Granted, DB doesn't play SF that often.

Edit:

Depending on where you live, going to tournaments helps you improve drastically too. I live in a pretty populated area with NLBC being a train away but others aren't so fortunate so traveling every once in a while is awesome.

Going to my first tournament this weekend actually.

I'm about to start up SFIV again. Then I'll do a sesh with Vulva, and then with you. I sent a PM!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Going to my first tournament this weekend actually.

I'm about to start up SFIV again. Then I'll do a sesh with Vulva, and then with you. I sent a PM!

You mean dreamhack? If that is the case, play as many top players as you can. And yeah I received, we'll hopefully play tonight unless I fall asleep.

No, it's a local tourney at the local place I went to last week.

Make them cry as you beat them.

Tripon

CTj_Dl-UcAA6764.png

5 months later, they are still Smash players who have a hard time against Ryu.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3qmcxn/ryu_is_going_to_destroy_the_metagame/

Nightii

Banned
ive noticed that smash players use the word "meta" with reckless abandon.
Smash players in general misuse most terms with reckless abandon.

Toxic, meta, neutral, viable, jank, gimmick, you name it, and it's not exclusive to random scrubs either, the top guys are just as guilty and cringe inducing in their ways.

For those that don't pay attention to the Indivisible IGG campaign, MikeZ laid out a document of features the full game will have, and it included perfect blocking (basically, parries) - very exciting. I wish every RPG had this feature.

Smash players don't know how to stop wake up SRK, and its simultaneously hilarious and sad. I had to explain to my roommate how to punish and bait me out.

EDIT: ROFL @ a yoshi main complaining about any character's aerial normals.
My hypothesis is that Yoshi is such a goddamn brainless character that the people who play him have no idea how to actually play the game. They're so used to smashing away with their face at will without consequence.

Smash players in general misuse most terms with reckless abandon.

Toxic, meta, neutral, viable, jank, gimmick, you name it, and it's not exclusive to random scrubs either, the top guys are just as guilty and cringe inducing in their ways.
I'm glad only Smash players do this.

Tripon

Calling an exhibition match in the venue a "salty suite."

The funniest part is how mad some Smash players get when you tell them what the salty suite actually is supposed to be.

"BUT THAT'S NOT HYPE!" Somebody actually told me that after I talked about EVO's Salty Suite that Redbull sponsored.

Anne

I remember hearing the word Tomohawk used to replace an empty jump throw and I just gave up on Smash terminology forever.

Just a quick thought on Capcom Cup. Part of me thinks that all the winners of the Premier tournaments(including the returning champ) should automatically be seeded 1-16 and in the order of their total points with the remaining 16 being those that didn't win a automatic qualifier. That way right off the bat the guys who won those tournaments or finished high enough to earn the automatic bid will avoid each other off the bat and only face guys that qualify via points. This IMO makes earning a automatic bid even more important. Obviously it's too late this year but I hope they explore this idea for next year.

I thought that was what they were gonna do from the start as well. Made so much sense.

Anne

since we're on the subject of people misusing terms, could someone please tell me the difference between 'meta' and 'strategy'?

Meta is stuff that happens outside of the match, strategy is what happens inside. Most metagaming in fighting games revolves around character selection and which options are known before you get into the match. Even then, that is using the newer definition of the term so people will argue it.

shaowebb

Welp...time to upgrade processors. Got Dolphin running TVC and it looks amazing, but I'm laggin and it aint my graphics card. I'm way overdue for this anyhow. Once I'm up I'm gonna try and make gifs of this shit. Sooooooooooooooo gorgeous in 60fps with all those Dolphin filters. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom