• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CultOfMac:Why the new Apple TV will kill your Xbox or Playstation(hint:Motion ctrl)

An Apple TV will be competing with a lot of different things, and from my perspective it will have to be excellent at all of them to register more than a blip.

As a streaming box, the device has iTunes and Airplay support, so that's good. But compared to basically every device on the market, the current Apple TV lacks in apps and its interface isn't very good. For an Apple product? Damn. And compared to something like a Chromecast and Android, the Apple TV and iOS aren't sweethearts as much as they should be. So the new device needs to step it up, and stand out from the Amazon/Chromecast/Roku devices that everybody has.

As a gaming box? The device has to beat out a used Xbox 360. Looking online, that's going for $80 right now on Gamestop's website with 10 free games. Why wouldn't I buy that? If I were only interested in playing on my iPad I guess. I don't see the Apple TV changing that.

Apple sites ignore facts occasionally (I read them, I'm well aware of this) and one of the facts they ignore is that console gaming isn't doing that poorly. Mobile gaming's nice and big, but console gaming isn't on its death bed. The PS4's been selling like crazy for $400 - and it's because of the library, something I don't think Apple developers can replicate.

EDIT:

Thinking about this some more, the obvious comparison is handheld gaming killed by mobile gaming. While that's generally true (or at least handhelds were affected), I think that speaks more to the lack of features handhelds had and how much the mobiles brought to the table.

For an Apple TV, a PS4 will do just about everything better, aside from play iTunes content. And unlike the Nintendo console, I don't see it being a secondary console purchase for most gamers. I don't think there will be many Apple TV exclusive games. Maybe easy access to games like DOTA 2 and Warframe could make the Apple TV an interesting competitor for the single-game-focused-yet-still-frugal hardcore, but I don't think the current mobile gaming developer scene will deliver Apple a slam dunk like the Apple blogs think.

Alo0oy

Banned
At least in the United States anyway, the future of mobile gaming may not be as clear anymore.

There was a recent report from Flurry, Yahoo's mobile analytics company, that found U.S. average daily mobile game time drops over 30% in a year: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._mobile_game_time_drops_over_30_in_a_year.php

We'll have to wait and see if more reports like this surface in the future but this is the first time I've seen a report that claims that mobile gaming time has stopped growing and in fact has actually decreased compared with time spent in other mobile applications.

Mobile revenue is still huge, last year it only generated two billion less than consoles in software.

Of course if you include hardware, it likely won't catch up, but if you count software only, it's very close to being as big as consoles.

Their aim wasn't to kill gaming consoles. Their aim was to kill other phones, music players and netbooks - which they kind of did.

Oh, no, I wasn't referring to Apple's goals. I was referring to these stupid articles about consoles and gaming that these misinformed "journalists" put out every now and then. They have been consistently wrong since 2011.

Oh, no, I wasn't referring to Apple's goals. I was referring to these stupid articles about consoles and gaming that these misinformed "journalists" put out every now and then. They have been consistently wrong since 2011.

Agree. Before the current gen came out, the tech journos wrote this gen would flop and would be the last console gen, but PS4 is on track to outsell PS2 as the highest selling console ever.

Viper3

That's the thing. I like Apple's products, but the amount of misplaced hype about how Apple's newest thing is gonna kill gaming is just downright annoying.

And CultofMac is especially guilty of this. For some reason they're convinced that Apple is going to take over your living room through gaming, and sometimes they're just clutching at straws: http://www.cultofmac.com/224252/rolomotion-wants-to-turn-your-iphone-and-apple-tv-into-a-living-room-console/

Alo0oy

Banned
Agree. Before the current gen came out, the tech journos wrote this gen would flop and would be the last console gen, but PS4 is on track to outsell PS2 as the highest selling console ever.

It won't sell as well as PS2 though, PS2 had insane legs, it sold better than the combined sales of XB/NGC after the launch of the PS3, the PS4 likely won't have legs like that, passing the PS1/Wii is definitely likely though.

kiguel182

That seems like the move Nintendo should've made with the Wii 2. An HD motion controlled console with good media capabilities.

It will be very interesting to see what they come up with for sure.

Haunted

how much up a company's ass do you have to be to unironically call yourself a cult of said company's products

I love Apple sites their delightful naivete and belief that Apple will make everything better is kind of sweet really. Utter bollox of course. Still if this was $100 set top box they could clean up, after all the competition is really the shitty SmartTV interface that shipped with your TV for watching streams.

Red Mage

Well, that's it then.

HTExfZs.gif

I must know the story behind this gif.

SigSig

Cult isn't behind these websites and one of them aren't exclusive to Sony products lol

So? It's still a dumb jab that doesn't happen with other sites. But whatever, Apple and everything Apple-related (and everything mobile-related) seems to be free-for-all on Gaming Side anyway.

I love Apple sites their delightful naivete and belief that Apple will make everything better is kind of sweet really. Utter bollox of course. Still if this was $100 set top box they could clean up, after all the competition is really the shitty SmartTV interface that shipped with your TV for watching streams.

It's not just apple sites. Companies and individuals are hypnotized into thinking that any brush with the name apple will miraculosuly bring them untold success and wealth.

I think they are past their prime and only have downward to go, but I've never been crazy about their stuff even before the iPhone.

ZhugeEX

Banned
For what it's worth-

Apple TV estimated shipments - ZhugeEX
2007- 0.3 million
2008- 0.3 million
2009- 0.7 million
2010- 1.6 million
2011- 2.8 million
2012- 6.5 million
2013- 7.0 million
2014- 6.0 million

Total: 25.2 million

Alo0oy

Banned
For what it's worth-

Apple TV estimated shipments - ZhugeEX
2007- 0.3 million
2008- 0.3 million
2009- 0.7 million
2010- 1.6 million
2011- 2.8 million
2012- 6.5 million
2013- 7.0 million
2014- 6.0 million

Total: 25.2 million

Their shipments aren't that bad over the past 3 years actually.

ZhugeEX

Banned

Yup, streaming devices have been on the rise recently. They're still not exactly mainstream but total shipments of all brand will reach somewhere around 50 million in 2017 up from 30m in 2014.

Alo0oy

Banned
Yup, streaming devices have been on the rise recently. They're still not exactly mainstream but total shipments of all brand will reach somewhere around 50 million in 2017 up from 30m in 2014.

Yeah, I think what's stopping them from having PS4 numbers is that a lot of people like the dual functionality of the consoles.

I think last year Netflix said that the Wii and PS3 are the most used devices for streaming Netflix.

Troy

Banned

It speaks to the fact that streaming devices have taken off. Apple's device is selling better than it has in the past, but is still in 4th place in sales. Not sure releasing a 200 dollar update is going to help them out if what they're using to pitch to customers is motion controlled mobile games. Regardless, the hyperbole of saying this will have any effect on Sony or MS is hilarious. Nintendo however might be sweating a bit, because as another article said, this could be just the device casual gamers who are fine with playing "good enough" games turn to.

I feel like anyone who tries to make console based on a mobile OS into a thing is going to hit a chicken and egg problem- the overwhelming majority of Android/iOS games are based on touch screen control, which obviously doesn't transfer well to games you play on a TV, so you don't have much of a library to start out with, which drastically reduces the appeal of your console, thus reducing the likelihood that anyone who does make a controller-based game will put it on there.

And of course, thinking that it'll be a Playstation/Xbox killer because it has motion controls is fucking laughable.

Korezo

Been wanting a apple tv for AirPlay but been holding out waiting for a newer apple tv. Hopefully this one is good and not over priced.

Alo0oy

Banned
It speaks to the fact that streaming devices have taken off. Apple's device is selling better than it has in the past, but is still in 4th place in sales. Not sure releasing a 200 dollar update is going to help them out if what they're using to pitch to customers is motion controlled mobile games. Regardless, the hyperbole of saying this will have any effect on Sony or MS is hilarious. Nintendo however might be sweating a bit, because as another article said, this could be just the device casual gamers who are fine with playing "good enough" games turn to.

I wouldn't say Nintendo would be effected, I think Nintendo just needs a massive rebranding, think the type of marketing that the PS1 had that changed the perception of video games from kiddy/nerdy things to do, to a more mature/acceptable entertainment form.

Nintendo just needs to pony up a lot of money to do that.

Trago

If this is a threat to consoles, I suppose third parties will be porting games in droves to this thing right? Right?

oneils

The techcrunch article this is based on is much less hyperbolic. Hope to finally get a good look at his during apples event on the 9th.

Top Bottom