• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Club Nintendo Goodbye Coin - Available in Europe

El-Suave

I have a DS code for Elite Beat Agents - it would be cool if somebody could trade another code for it because I just need 55 points for the coin.

wrowa

Just ordered the coin, the Sounds Collection CD and the Captain Toad lamp. Farewell, Club Nintendo.

I have a DS code for Elite Beat Agents - it would be cool if somebody could trade another code for it because I just need 55 points for the coin.

Are codes that old even valid anymore?

Excuse my extreme Japanese language ignorance... but they both say the same thing? Despite the differences in length?
Off on a tangent we go!

I don't really know enough to even guess what the Kanji on the pouch say. They could say the same thing (though googling arigato, the kanji looks nothing like what is on the pouch), as Japan has multiple alphabets. It also doesn't say Nintendo. It might be some other greeting of some sort.
Kana, which you see on the coin are similar to English in that each letter corresponds to a specific sound. There are two of these alphabets (hiragana and katakana). Kanji, which you can see on the pouch, are more complicated, as they represent an idea (or sometimes specific word, I can't quite remember. it's been years since I did any Japanese at all!).

There are thousands of Kanji, and they have different meanings in context. Each Kanji can be written and pronounced using the kana.

Semajer

Is there a list anywhere of what games will still have valid star codes? Is it still possible to gain stars from eshop games?

openrob

That link states:

The registration of digital products downloaded from Nintendo eShop ended on April 20th 2015. This means it is no longer possible to link your Nintendo hardware to Club Nintendo, or to obtain Stars for registering downloaded software. Digital products obtained from Nintendo eShop no longer appear in the My Registered Games & Systems page in Club Nintendo. In addition, surveys for download software titles are no longer available.

Also that list contains games like Bayonetta, whitch I know contain expired codes.
:(

Excuse my extreme Japanese language ignorance... but they both say the same thing? Despite the differences in length?

On the coin it is written in Kana - a basic phonetic alphabet.(あ り が と う = A RI GA TO U)
The pouch uses Kanji (of which there are 2000+ characters corresponding to different words). Kanji is very traditional writing style.

EDIT: The Kanji 感 + 謝 mean 'Emotion' + 'Apolgy' individually but read together as 'Giving Thanks' or 'Gratitude' (according to Jisho)

Dak'kon

That link states:

The registration of digital products downloaded from Nintendo eShop ended on April 20th 2015. This means it is no longer possible to link your Nintendo hardware to Club Nintendo, or to obtain Stars for registering downloaded software. Digital products obtained from Nintendo eShop no longer appear in the My Registered Games & Systems page in Club Nintendo. In addition, surveys for download software titles are no longer available.

Also that list contains games like Bayonetta, whitch I know contain expired codes.
:(
I'm just going through and registering all my physical 3DS and WiiU games now (so far the only game that had expired is Omega Ruby) and I managed to complete surveys and get stars for these digital titles:

Pokémon Shuffle
18/02/2015
Shin Megami Tensei IV
22/01/2015
ATTACK OF THE FRIDAY MONSTERS! A TOKYO TALE™
27/12/2014
LIBERATION MAIDEN™
26/12/2014
CRIMSON SHROUD™
26/12/2014
WEAPON SHOP de OMASSE™
26/12/2014
Animal Crossing Plaza
23/08/2014

Those ones were all only worth 50 stars though, so not sure about full retail titles...

I'm just going through and registering all my physical 3DS and WiiU games now (so far the only game that had expired is Omega Ruby) and I managed to complete surveys and get stars for these digital titles:

Pokémon Shuffle
18/02/2015
Shin Megami Tensei IV
22/01/2015
27/12/2014
LIBERATION MAIDEN™
26/12/2014
CRIMSON SHROUD™
26/12/2014
WEAPON SHOP de OMASSE™
26/12/2014
Animal Crossing Plaza
23/08/2014

Those ones were all only worth 50 stars though, so not sure about full retail titles...

You were able to register those because they were added to your club nintendo account before april, or whenever the cutoff was. No digital titles after that point counted.

gerudoman

Pokémon Shuffle
18/02/2015
Shin Megami Tensei IV
22/01/2015
27/12/2014
LIBERATION MAIDEN™
26/12/2014
CRIMSON SHROUD™
26/12/2014
WEAPON SHOP de OMASSE™
26/12/2014
Animal Crossing Plaza
23/08/2014

You can still get stars from surveys of games download before April, but nothing if they were downloaded after the deadline.

Off on a tangent we go!

I don't really know enough to even guess what the Kanji on the pouch say. They could say the same thing (though googling arigato, the kanji looks nothing like what is on the pouch), as Japan has multiple alphabets. It also doesn't say Nintendo. It might be some other greeting of some sort.
Kana, which you see on the coin are similar to English in that each letter corresponds to a specific sound. There are two of these alphabets (hiragana and katakana). Kanji, which you can see on the pouch, are more complicated, as they represent an idea (or sometimes specific word, I can't quite remember. it's been years since I did any Japanese at all!).

There are thousands of Kanji, and they have different meanings in context. Each Kanji can be written and pronounced using the kana.

Wow.
I love French cinema and Japanese games and so years ago wanted to learn one of the languages.
You've just made me glad that I opted for French haha.
Thanks a lot for the explanation, very interesting :)

On the coin it is written in Kana - a basic phonetic alphabet.(あ り が と う = A RI GA TO U)
The pouch uses Kanji (of which there are 2000+ characters corresponding to different words). Kanji is very traditional writing style.

EDIT: The Kanji 感 + 謝 mean 'Emotion' + 'Apolgy' individually but read together as 'Giving Thanks' or 'Gratitude' (according to Jisho)

Ah so that's it.
That's very cool, a fitting, thoughtful touch.
Thanks for the answer.

MrPanic

Bit sad that the gamecard cases already ran out, could've used a second one. I guess I'll just blow my last stars on that credits cd and the coin. The coin looks cool though.

I have a spare WRC 3DS code that I cant make use off if anyone wants it, will pm it to the first person who wants it

Edit: Gone

weekev

Banned
ohh btw, someone wants European Club Nintendo codes?
Have probably 20 of them just sitting around for both Wii U and 3DS.

Again Fuck Nintendo Bergslagen for killing off Club Nintendo here.
If noone has taken you up can you pm me the games they are for and aill try any that I havent already registered?

Edit ignore me just read previous page, dont suppose anyone else has spares?

So much for 2000 stars being there to put people off. I still take the view it was priced based on what people could in theory afford as the idea now is to get everyone down to zero.

If anyone is a little short, Argos are selling Fifa 13 for £2 and it comes with 250 Stars.
Their site says £3.99 making me think they bumped the price up (this usually happens when they sell games at "take 30 of them to CeX and you've made yourself £13" prices).

Sporad

Neo Member
I managed to order one yesterday but it was more to use up my stars than any great desire to own one. Feeling the love for the NintendoGAF community so it is on offer to the first person to PM me, and I will send it to you when it arrives. You must be in the UK!

I'm trusting you to a) not have one ordered, and b) not to just be looking to flog it on!

gerudoman

I managed to order one yesterday but it was more to use up my stars than any great desire to own one. Feeling the love for the NintendoGAF community so it is on offer to the first person to PM me, and I will send it to you when it arrives. You must be in the UK!

I'm trusting you to a) not have one ordered, and b) not to just be looking to flog it on!

I'm not interested, but I just wanted to let you know you're awesome!

To maybe save you a wave of pms: I've now sent one.
So if I was the first, hooray, if not, congratulations to whoever did. Good on you either way!

well brilliant, just bought the kirby blanket cause I totally forgot about the coin...now i got 1250 stars left, what should i buy? :D

Edit: Bought A Link to the Past for the Wii U and a Yoshi Wallpaper :D

Raitaro

I can't seem to find the coin on the Dutch Club Nintendo store. Was it ever there (and now sold out) or did we never get it?

Edit: it seems gone on the UK store as well unfortunately. Oh well, saves me the hassle of opening up all of my recent Wii U and 3DS purchases to scratch those last cards I guess...

Edit 2: seems like you can't even register physical games anymore (not just digital ones) even if I had wanted to since I'm getting a "This PIN code has expired. You can no longer register this product" message...probably common knowledge for most here but it did surprise me a bit. (Man, those coasters did look tempting...)

Peagles

I can't seem to find the coin on the Dutch Club Nintendo store. Was it ever there (and now sold out) or did we never get it?

Edit: it seems gone on the UK store as well unfortunately. Oh well, saves me the hassle of opening up all of my recent Wii U and 3DS purchases to scratch those last cards I guess...

Edit 2: seems like you can't even register physical games anymore (not just digital ones) even if I had wanted to since I'm getting a "This PIN code has expired. You can no longer register this product" message...probably common knowledge for most here but it did surprise me a bit. (Man, those coasters did look tempting...)

Physical game codes always expire after some time. Some are still able to be registered and some aren't.

Raitaro

Physical game codes always expire after some time. Some are still able to be registered and some aren't.

I see. That seems a bit mean to me to be honest (luckily I've never encountered that problem before), but it's all water under the bridge now I guess.

Onwards to a better, more hassle free reward system then I say! Goodbye Club Nintendo, I'll miss ya old pal.

Peagles

I see. That seems a bit mean to me to be honest (luckily I've never encountered that problem before), but it's all water under the bridge now I guess.

Onwards to a better, more hassle free reward system then I say! Goodbye Club Nintendo, I'll miss ya old pal.

They've always expired about 3.5 years after release, with the exception of some recently released games (like Bayonetta 2) that expired much sooner, in March this year.

I had a bunch that had expired too, but I'm lucky I got everything I wanted. Just!

Ah, shitting hell - just registered a card and did a few digital surveys to bring my points up and the bloody coin isn't in the UK store anymore :-/

I see a few other things have reappeared, so hopefully it will too, but that's bloody frustrating.

Had 5100 left, went for the coin and the Mario Kart 8 soundtrack as I was fortunate enough to get a Mushroom trophy on their initial run a few years back.

But now with 100 stars left I have the options of some crap wallpaper and ringtones. I have zero interest in the wallpaper so could anyone tell me what the ringtones are like? Are they actual snippets of each game's respective songs or are they sound effects etc.?

Top Bottom