• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway Unfolded |OT|

So i never played the game before.

Is it a better option to play the vita version first, then this. or dive straight into this?
hearing that this is really more of tearaway 1.5

So i never played the game before.

Is it a better option to play the vita version first, then this. or dive straight into this?
hearing that this is really more of tearaway 1.5

It seems like more of a 1.5 than a sequel. The base Vita Tearaway game is there but there is a ton of extra content, from what I understand. I think if you played the Vita then this one back to back you might get burned out, but there seems to be a lot of people here that have both.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It really saddens me. These games could and should be enjoyed by millions of children. They are perfect for kids. Parents are out of touch with gaming if you ask me.
I suppose the console market has a lot narrower of a demographic focused on it than the huge numbers it creates would have us believe. One look at the PS4 shelf in a store leaves you with this cold dark vibe, ha. I was looking at the games I have, and it was funny to notice that they were all variations of the same exact black/blue/silver grimdark thing, I guess they know their audience by now.

Hey guys, I'm stuck at the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl7SJqW-krQ

Does anyone know what can be done?

Not as of yet unfortunately. A few people in this thread experienced similar things. Quick google search shows some Reddit posts as well so I imagine it'll be fixed in a patch soon? Some have reported that deleting and reinstalling the game did the truck but others says it did nothing so ymmv. Please let us know if you do something that sorts it!

otaconlink

Neo Member
Not as of yet unfortunately. A few people in this thread experienced similar things. Quick google search shows some Reddit posts as well so I imagine it'll be fixed in a patch soon? Some have reported that deleting and reinstalling the game did the truck but others says it did nothing so ymmv. Please let us know if you do something that sorts it!

I'll try to redownload the game. Media Molecule recommended me to replay the level from the Bookmark, but that doesn't solve the issue, and there is no news on a patch.

Wow! Just finished the scrap cave. That was phenomenal. Really an incredible section and fantastic addition. This game is much, much longer than the original and all of the new additions are great. I absolutely loved
the scrap XMB :)
. And what a happy resolution to that story, unlike the Vita game! Just got to Between the Pages, which was my favorite part of the original, so I'm excited. This game's been much more of a platformer than the original and this section was the highlight of OG Tearaway's platforming so I'm really looking forward to this.

This OT never got a subtitle?

:(

So seems like a crazy question, but is there no way to restart the story again and play as the other character? Can't seem to find a way in the menu.

Shin-Ra

The rumble feedback when tapping the touchpad/drumskin feels surprisingly tactile and different. I guess it's because you don't normally feel rumble through any fingertip(s) except your thumb.

Played this with my 6yo and she loves the creative side of the game...I give her my tablet and connect with 2nd screen and she does all these shapes and loves that it goes in the game.

She laughs every time she takes a picture and it also comes on the game world.

Fantastic game

Shin-Ra

Why is TU so smooth?

ScreenShot2015-09-25at14.16.04.png

LegoJoelBanderasb6128.gif

This OT never got a subtitle?

:(

So seems like a crazy question, but is there no way to restart the story again and play as the other character? Can't seem to find a way in the menu.

So to answer my own question, in case anyone else is wondering, this is the official response from the Tearaway team

Hello! If you want to replay with atoi you will need to delete your existing saved data and start again. However!...

Our 1st patch update will give you the option to play as the other Messenger so I would wait, then you can keep your old data!

Kind of strange since the original had multiple save files, but cool that they're addressing it.

Kind of strange since the original had multiple save files, but cool that they're addressing it.

It'll be interesting to see what additional functionality they will try an add in through patches. I feel the game is pretty feature rich as it is but there are definitely some gameplay tweaks and bug fixes I'd like to see.

Wozman23

Was going for platinum and ran into a few game breaking bugs of my own that prevent me from collecting my last few collectibles. It sucks because I found these bugs after I'd done almost everything else.

1) In the Sogport Crash Site, when the wendigo get sucked up, he glitches or disappears. I get prompts from the squirrel to change his name and appearance, but nothing happens and I'm stuck on that platform.
2) In the Sogport Caverns, toward the end where the wendigo is in the cage, he and the cage don't appear, nor does the pinwheel, and progress is haulted since he's needed to eat a large ball blocking the path.

I've reloaded checkpoints, rebooted, and even rolled back my firmware since I was in the beta. Nothing has helped so far. Reinstalling game data now as a last ditch effort before I surrender and await a patch.

Just posting in case anyone else has the same issue.

Jeels

I'll try to redownload the game. Media Molecule recommended me to replay the level from the Bookmark, but that doesn't solve the issue, and there is no news on a patch.

At least they responded to you, I never got a response.

Was going for platinum and ran into a few game breaking bugs of my own that prevent me from collecting my last few collectibles. It sucks because I found these bugs after I'd done almost everything else.

1) In the Sogport Crash Site, when the wendigo get sucked up, he glitches or disappears. I get prompts from the squirrel to change his name and appearance, but nothing happens and I'm stuck on that platform.
2) In the Sogport Caverns, toward the end where the wendigo is in the cage, he and the cage don't appear, nor does the pinwheel, and progress is haulted since he's needed to eat a large ball blocking the path.

I've reloaded checkpoints, rebooted, and even rolled back my firmware since I was in the beta. Nothing has helped so far. Reinstalling game data now as a last ditch effort before I surrender and await a patch.

Just posting in case anyone else has the same issue.

Ya, it really sucks, unfortunately my issue doesn't even let me progress past the second level. :(

It really sucks because I enjoyed the first level so much. This game deserves more attention but so does the fact that it's another Sony game that shipped borked. Since there aren't a lot of people paying attention to or buying the game, tthe issue isn't getting the attention it deserves and there are people like me left unable to play a game they really want to enjoy and love. What the hell.

otaconlink

Neo Member
At least they responded to you, I never got a response.

Ya, it really sucks, unfortunately my issue doesn't even let me progress past the second level. :(

It really sucks because I enjoyed the first level so much. This game deserves more attention but so does the fact that it's another Sony game that shipped borked. Since there aren't a lot of people paying attention to or buying the game, tthe issue isn't getting the attention it deserves and there are people like me left unable to play a game they really want to enjoy and love. What the hell.

That sucks man!

I'll try to send my video to Kotaku or something.

I'm starting to see where critics have voiced concern over the game's length; I'm still having a lot of fun and am amazed at the creativity on display, but some sections just feel incredibly long and I knew that something was up when my girlfriend-- who has been completely enamored by TU-- said "There's more?!" and not in an enthusiastic way, once I had finished
Sogport
. It just feels a bit overwhelming at times.

I'm taking my time through the levels and nabbing 100% where I can but holy shit those Misplaced Gopher side activities can die in a fire. Not difficult so much as it is poorly designed, imo. I'll still make my way through it all eventually though.

The minor gripes above aside, I think it's definitely one of the best games in the PS4's library and easily in my top 10 this year.

weekev

Banned
Ok are there any decent walkthroughs for this game at all? I want to 100% it but on the prologue im missing 1 photograph. No idea where it is.

Ok are there any decent walkthroughs for this game at all? I want to 100% it but on the prologue im missing 1 photograph. No idea where it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qdckzdv6n4

This person has a collectible guide for Chapters 1 (prologue) through 12, so Valleyfold and Sogport. It'll show you Photos, Red Presents, and Blue Presents.

My issue is typically if there's a few confetti I'm missing e.g. I'm missing 3 confetti in the Caverns that have eluded what I felt were thorough playthroughs of that area multiple times. That shit is frustrating. I'm looking at this old Tearaway confetti location guide in German and trying to see what stayed and what didn't between the two versions to try and narrow down where they are haha

hawk2025

Whyyy did I wait so long to buy the PS4 version?

There's more love in the first hour of this game than the past 200 hours of gaming I've had.

It plays, runs, and looks incredible. The changes made to the game feel perfect so far.

Everything is awesome. This game made me happy and joyful again!

Whyyy did I wait so long to buy the PS4 version?

There's more love in the first hour of this game than the past 200 hours of gaming I've had.

It plays, runs, and looks incredible. The changes made to the game feel perfect so far.

Everything is awesome. This game made me happy and joyful again!

It really is great. The game has a lot of meat too. There were a few points where I thought I was at the end where it just opened up even more.

I tried my hand at some of the real-world papercraft models you unlock and maaaaaaaan do I suck at papercraft lol Was able to crank out a mouse though :)

An Animal Crossing style of game in the Tearaway style would be killer.

PaulloDEC

Finished this tonight. Brilliant experience on PS4, just as it was on the Vita. Loved the
scrap cave with giant controller
, which I'm pretty sure wasn't in the original(?)

Really could've done without the
"adorable" child (whom I can guarantee will have been the kid of one of the developers) narrating the final scrapbook sequence. I went on a journey with a cute little paper messenger, not someone's obnoxious 6-year-old.
Being old and yelling at clouds aside, I've got no complaints.

So it's bern a while since I completed the Vita version. Is the game supposed to have long sections with no music and only sound effects? It seems super off to me and I cant remember this being the case with the Vita version.

Really could've done without the
"adorable" child (whom I can guarantee will have been the kid of one of the developers) narrating the final scrapbook sequence. I went on a journey with a cute little paper messenger, not someone's obnoxious 6-year-old.
Being old and yelling at clouds aside, I've got no complaints.

Yeah it took away a bit from the impact of the ending - kind of made you feel like you weren't the target audience, whereas the Vita version was touching and still broad. I wouldn't call this yelling at clouds either - the Vita version nailed a pitch perfect ending, and they fumbled it a bit here.

So it's bern a while since I completed the Vita version. Is the game supposed to have long sections with no music and only sound effects? It seems super off to me and I cant remember this being the case with the Vita version.

Yeah, it does do that for sure - not an error. I think the vita version was the same. For my part, I thought it leant to the otherworldiness of everything; Tearaway's world is wonderfully charming, but has an eerie quality to it as well (which I love).

weekev

Banned
It really saddens me. These games could and should be enjoyed by millions of children. They are perfect for kids. Parents are out of touch with gaming if you ask me.
Ive been playing with my 6 year old daughter. She absolutely loves playing along on the ipad, randomly making it snow flowers, butterflies and lovehearts and tacking wacky photos then designing the items the characters need.

Id recommend it to any family.

Finished this morning. Just as good as the vita version. They could have easily put a number 2 on the box and called it a sequel as it's so radically different from the original game outside of a couple specific areas they reuse. Highly recommended.

I'm currently streaming this on YouTube and curious of my streaming quality. Would anyone want to jump in and let me know how good the stream quality is?

It should be from channel I think udontneed2know26 or Aaron H. Not sure which

So yeah, would saving the system data to the cloud and loading it up again save you from having to start all the way at the beginning of a level just to do the Misplaced Gopher thing again?

krrrt

I loved my playthrough and will replay for collectibles and the platinum trophy. My only issue is with the camera that is a little too close to iota which makes for frustrating attempts at looking around. luckily there's the first person camera

madmackem

Finished it, it was more creative more inventive than anything out of Nintendo for years and years. It will no doubt be the best use of the ds4 in the ps4 lifetime. Everyone should play it, as for the myth of being short not for me infact I think they could've trimmed it a tad near the end I thought I was on the last level a number of times.

Finished it, it was more creative more inventive than anything out of Nintendo for years and years. It will no doubt be the best use of the ds4 in the ps4 lifetime. Everyone should play it, as for the myth of being short not for me infact I think they could've trimmed it a tad near the end I thought I was on the last level a number of times.

Yeah the first " twist " portion got me. I thought the game was ending and was like, well that was short but oh so sweet. Then boom there is MUCH more left. And then again, you think it is ending at
between the pages
but suddenly you are in a whole new area. Love it.

Best platformer I've played in forever. Since Mario Galaxy 2 no doubt. Pure joy to play.

And besides Bloodborne this game has the best art direction so far this gen. The sheer amount of stuff on screen at times and everything is moving and has life and thought and creativity. It's just oozing with class throughout.

For those that have platted the game, did Globe Trotter pop for you immediately after taking a picture in the chapter
"The You"
? Anybody have trouble popping it?

I've finished everything else in the game and snagged all the other trophies except the Globe Trotter one for the plat and am positive I've taken pictures in every chapter, I even went back and loaded up each one and took a shot. Still nothing. Really hoping it's not glitched :\

Edit: Finally got the Globe Trotter trophy and the plat. That thing is buggy as hell. I went through all the chapters and took pictures in each about 4 times before it randomly popped.

Also, for those who are stuck trying to find a few pieces of confetti in a particular chapter, here's a 100% collectible guide (Models, Red & Blue Presents, and Confetti) in German; the translator does a decent enough job if you can't read it. I was missing 3 confetti in The Caverns that I spent days looking for before finally using the guide to discover that they had clipped into a wall. It was immensely helpful.

http://forum.trophies-ps3.de/tearaway-unfolded/141015-leitfadenergaenzung-sammelguide-zu-allen-gegenstaenden.html

I'm lost, near the end of the game ( pretty sure anyway )

I'm in the Desert but have absolutely no clue what the dude said at the beginning and forgot where they wanted me to go.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

lol51

I'm in the Desert but have absolutely no clue what the dude said at the beginning and forgot where they wanted me to go.

There is a sign post in the desert that will offer you advice.

There are two NPCs you need to talk to in order to open up the path forward. One is
on a hill next to a cave painting directly to your right once you enter the desert
, the other is
on the far left side of the map, atop a hill next to where the Misplaced Gopher tent is.

Thanks guys.

Just beat the game.

Holy fuck I am downright awestruck at the awesomeness and imagination and originality of the entire ending section really starting with Between the Pages. My daughter is downright smitten with the game and keeps asking if we will keep playing lol. The tunes playing during the entire credits sequence ( I watched it all, very long ) are all memorable and great especially the main Tearaway tune.

Can't say enough about how impressive and memorable this game is. I have to send it back to Gamefly to get DQ Heroes next week but will be buying this very soon. My daughter who is 4 learned to use the controller thanks to this game lol.

So great.

Thanks guys.

Just beat the game.

Holy fuck I am downright awestruck at the awesomeness and imagination and originality of the entire ending section really starting with Between the Pages. My daughter is downright smitten with the game and keeps asking if we will keep playing lol. The tunes playing during the entire credits sequence ( I watched it all, very long ) are all memorable and great especially the main Tearaway tune.

Can't say enough about how impressive and memorable this game is. I have to send it back to Gamefly to get DQ Heroes next week but will be buying this very soon. My daughter who is 4 learned to use the controller thanks to this game lol.

So great.

That's awesome. Yeah, as someone who was very aware of Tearaway but didn't own a Vita, I was excited to get my hands on this PS4 take of it. The amount of creativity on display is amazing and pretty overwhelming if you think about how one goes about animating a world to look and behave like paper. I put my tablet to good use and had a blast creating items for my world. Glad to hear your daughter had a great time with it. My nephew is coming up on 4 here in a couple months and I can't wait to introduce him to thi game over the winter holidays.

Tizoc

Anyone know where I can find the SE that comes with the plushie/toy? I live in the middle east but none of the shops here seem to offer it.
I don't mind getting it from the UK though.

Top Bottom