• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

DoubleYou

Wow my latest stage still only has 3 plays and no wins. Please give it a go and tell me where you're struggling and why. And any feedback in general would be nice.

Stop Giving Me Stars - 45E4-0000-005C-64BB

I got to that second wiggler part. Took me a lifetime though :p
Love the concept but for a game without checkpoints I have to say the first part alone would have been enough for me. Still, great level! I might try to beat it some more later today. ;)

I liked it. Really tested my reflexes near the end.

Liked it! I had to go back and replay it (why doesn't the Cleared screen have a fast replay button?) because I took the secret path first, but even that was involved and entertaining!

My minor complaints are that the first drop down can be blind into lava (donut blocks or a blue platform would fix that), and there were almost too many Amiibo mushrooms around. Hazard buffers aside, they robbed some of the fun of of seeing what was in the blocks.

But otherwise, nice level!

Thank you both for playing my level! :D The past 2 ones I've made I have tried to make them very platform-y, explore and reflex Mario play style as that is what I like to play myself. Mario Maker is sooo wonderful, I've spent hours already and can see myself spending so much more as I'm still unlocking the different tiles still!

I see what you mean about the blind drop at the start Azure Dream. I guess when you make the level its like, you know where to drop safely but a new player obviously isn't going to know are they? Haha. Good learnings for my next level at least!

The Amiibo costume thing, I guess I just wanted people to be playing as Bowser as much of the time as possible because that was the theme of the level. So I tended to put one after a spot where I thought they might have been hit and lost it, I suppose that is the limitation when you're trying to do a 'themed' type thing and maybe I put too many of them.

I did think it was a bit boring like you make it to a tricky spot only to find its just a 1-Up or costume but didn't know what else to do.

It really makes me wish I could hide the big gold coins around the level to collect (or even lots of red ones!) - its an aspect I love in the regular Mario games so I tend to create cool spots in these that could be perfect for hidden collectible coins but not really have anything interesting to put there. :(

Oh well, something else for the sequel. :D In the meantime I'll still be putting my secret paths or alternate routes because I just love them myself hehe.

Cheers again for playing guys!

cyba89

Wow my latest stage still only has 3 plays and no wins. Please give it a go and tell me where you're struggling and why. And any feedback in general would be nice.

Stop Giving Me Stars - 45E4-0000-005C-64BB

Managed to beat it. I don't think theres anything wrong with the level. It's tough but always fair and fun. It's the lack of checkpoints that hurts it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I got to that second wiggler part. Took me a lifetime though :p
Love the concept but for a game without checkpoints I have to say the first part alone would have been enough for me. Still, great level! I might try to beat it some more later today. ;)
Hmm. I felt the difficulty didn't really ramp up until the sub world. I kinda made it so that in those first few segments it's pretty hard to hit a star unless you completely miss a bounce. Before the second wiggler section, where are you dying?

The second wiggler section is the last part by the way.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Managed to beat it. I don't think theres anything wrong with the level. It's tough but always fair and fun. It's the lack of checkpoints that hurts it.
Thanks. Yeah this is a problem with several of my levels. If I could I would add checkpoints I would, and other than that my levels wouldn't change. Sometimes you can use doors as makeshift checkpoints but in this case that would break the level because the stars wouldn't reset.

Axiom

Secrets are such a core part of 2D Mario that it speaks volumes that people are including them by default despite a lack of a checkpoint system, hidden coins, multiple exits or a reason to grab 1-ups.

So that tends to leave people to include a 1-up anyway as a 'good job' (which is especially hollow when you've had to go well out of your way), provide a pointless and potentially level breaking power-up or a shortcut to skip most of the level.

The latter being so prevalent in the 1-1 submissions I've played that I've had to go back and do it normally just to get a good feel or what the levels are actually like.

I really hope it's something that gets addressed because there's been some wonderful secrets included in the levels here and it's a shame to see the creators do their job well, only to have the game mechanics make the reward lacklustre.

Bydobob

Someone give my underwater level some love!

Mario's underwater fantasy
9C69-0000-005D-2762

Only 3 players and 4 attempts which is piss poor considering how easy I made it. It was actually designed with my little daughter in mind. It's got all her favourite Nintendo characters in it and has a gentle difficulty curve. I thought with all the gorgeous female characters though this could equally be Mario's fantasy, hence the name!

May as well repost my other levels while I'm here, from latest first:

Come back Yoshi!
D1F1-0000-0051-CA78

As the name implies, Yoshi is of great assistance until he and Mario must part. Probably my favourite level, this one feels like a real adventure.

Rags or Riches
D4EE-0000-0041-FD94

Multi-path castle level paved with gold depending on the route you take. Nothing cheap, but precision platforming and patience required. End showdown is not your simple run to the finish either and may drive you mad.

Didn't see hat coming!
7E4E-0000-003A-0295

A slightly trick level with moderate difficulty made easier by happening across the level's central conceit.

DaBoss

To quote our own DaBoss: "I would say the level is technically fair with the platforming providing a good challenge"

But the reason I said technically is because the path I took felt very fair, but the other path with is really time consuming, though this is with the original version, I didn't play any revised versions.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I really hope it's something that gets addressed because there's been some wonderful secrets included in the levels here and it's a shame to see the creators do their job well, only to have the game mechanics make the reward lacklustre.

I think they should include the star coins from the NSMB series. Limit them to a maximum of 3-5 per level and display the number of coins a player found next to their completion flag. Should be motivation enough.

Secrets are such a core part of 2D Mario that it speaks volumes that people are including them by default despite a lack of a checkpoint system, hidden coins, multiple exits or a reason to grab 1-ups.

So that tends to leave people to include a 1-up anyway as a 'good job' (which is especially hollow when you've had to go well out of your way), provide a pointless and potentially level breaking power-up or a shortcut to skip most of the level.

The latter being so prevalent in the 1-1 submissions I've played that I've had to go back and do it normally just to get a good feel or what the levels are actually like.

In my opinion, one of the best secret rewards you can give is the invincibility star.

Don't worry if it breaks your level or trivializes part of it. That's the point! In Nintendo's own games the star would often trivialize large chunks of the level. Good on the player for finding it.

Plus there's that great moment of brief panic as the player tries to get back to the level so they can take proper advantage of it. A good sort of panic/excitement, without danger (depending on if you have bottomless pits). You might get them moving so quickly that they make mistakes, too, and then it's their own fault, and not your level design.

Forkball

Here is the level and the code: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sxY8pELhqM

It currently has 15489 attemps and no one (aside from the creator) has beaten it yet.

That bounce off of the P-switch sinking into the lava was wild.

Speaking of hard stages, I'm trying to make mine easier. My easiest stage has a 25% clear rate. The rest sit at around 12-14%. Ironically though, my 8% clear stage is my most popular one. Maybe I should make them harder actually...

That's not too bad. Personnally I find not cool the GAFers that only post their creations without ever giving any feedback to others. I'm not giving any names :)

To be fair, there are probably some people, such as myself, who leave their feedback on Miiverse instead of GAF in the form of comments and stars.

MouldyK

That bounce off of the P-switch sinking into the lava was wild.

Speaking of hard stages, I'm trying to make mine easier. My easiest stage has a 25% clear rate. The rest sit at around 12-14%. Ironically though, my 8% clear stage is my most popular one. Maybe I should make them harder actually...

Make them fun and challenging. It's a hard balance to do if you are going for complex courses also.

When you said maze that was not what I was expecting. That was way cooler than I even imagined. You actually killed it. Super impressed.

THIS. This is why I make courses. The course he is talking about has 80 Plays from 13 Guys with only 3 people (All Gaffers cuz they are hardcore Mofos) beating it, so a 3.75% Clear Rate.

My friend course he built in like 30 minutes has had 15 people paly it over 139 Runs and 10 of them clear it, so a 7.19% Clear Rate.

It's about making the level challenging enough for people to feel like they aren't just running through it, but also fun enough so that, when they do die, they go "I can do that part easily if I retry!"

Courses like that and the Bob-Omb Course seem like they are hard, but not that fun because a lot of it seems like there is no margin of error.

My course also has many close shaves, but none of them are impossible and I give people time to breath and plan out their moves.

Here's my top 3. Bon appétit.

O97GP3Q.jpg

Tracks Ablaze (1E13-0000-004E-8060)

fwCwL5F.jpg

Stuck on an Elevator (1D55-0000-0028-AAB6)

IDXkSDV.jpg

Freaky Fungus (9F7F-0000-0041-0187)

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Alright GAF, you want a tough level? Well here you go, my latest level below currently has only a 1% completion rate, so let's see who here can conquer it. Bonus points if you can make it through with a power-up in tact.

cFwWpZ2.jpg

Name: Greenhouse Grindhouse

Code: (5E95-0000-0054-B92E)

Description: A non-linear mixture of tight platforming and bullet hell hazards. Perfect your own strategy and path to survive the Grindhouse.

Dude, your levels are hard lol. I tried about a dozen times to beat this level and failed miserably every time. I overshot the goal at one point and got trapped by the door with the spiney. And Bowser's stuns are a bitch. Its a good level, but brutal.

I finally got the game, will play soon and start trying out the levels posted here. I may make a few myself but way later, probably when I have everything unlocked.

andymcc

Banned
I made a stage.

4D2jObt.jpg

Airship stages are my favorite so I worked really hard on this one! There is an alternate path and quite a few hidden blocks throughout the stage.

Hope you guys enjoy!

I have made some other stages too. They're not quite as good but feel free to check them out!

Simbabbad

That's not too bad. Personnally I find not cool the GAFers that only post their creations without ever giving any feedback to others. I'm not giving any names :)
Myself, I give feedback through Miiverse, feels more personal and convenient to me. This thread is already way too flooded.

Sephzilla

I really need to start playing more GAF levels. I've been spending too much time making and playtesting my own stuff.

I also want to take a second to tell everyone that El Pescado's levels are pretty legit. I played everything he had last night and I legit thought I was in a traditional Mario game.

This thread....currently working on playing and giving feedback on pages 199-204...one day I will catch up. Love the GAF levels.

Anyways, Here is the second level I have completed. I hope I can get some plays as well as feedback. This is designed as a haunted airship. Progress is halted four times and you must enter the bowels of the ship to find the key to progress!

Grand Ghost Galleon:
0303-0000-0061-321E

(If you want, you can try my first level as well, a jolly SMW levels with chomps and a few secret paths)
Chompin' at the Bits:
3DD4-0000-003D-783B

Thanks!

jnWake

Thanks. I thought the skull platform was safe, can you elaborate?
Sure. The height when riding those platforms is very variable, especially at the peak of the trajectory. A few times I mashed up like a madman and Mario didn't enter the door. Then, the platform fell. I guess you can reset it by going up gain but it's tough.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm really tired of starring levels that don't deserve stars just because I left a comment. Is there some secret way to comment without starring?

Go to your played levels list, find said level and use the comments button to load up its Miiverse page. Then you can just comment on that.

Simbabbad

I'm really tired of starring levels that don't deserve stars just because I left a comment. Is there some secret way to comment without starring?
Why don't you just ignore them? The system is done to avoid any mean comment, especially since children use the game.
Anyway, you can go to your played level history, find the level, and from there go to its page on Miiverse and comment without starring, hopefully to leave helpful advice.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Go to your played levels list, find said level and use the comments button to load up its Miiverse page. Then you can just comment on that.
Thanks

Why don't you just ignore them? The system is done to avoid any mean comment, especially since children use the game.
Anyway, you can go to your played level history, find the level, and from there go to its page on Miiverse and comment without starring, hopefully to leave helpful advice.
Because I want to leave advice. If it's a level with nothing but bullshit then I do ignore it. And I never post mean comments. But a level I just played was decent up until one particular point that had a blind jump and the route wasn't clear. Worth leaving a comment, though I didn't want to star it.

Thud

Revised 'Dark Side of the Goomba' so now you can't get stuck near the big old Goomba Floyd. I added some SFX as a reference to Dark Side of the Moon and also for fun.

Deleted my first stage 'Tutorial Gone Wrong?!'. I rather have people play Mushroom World 1-1. Remixed my second stage 'Coins in the Underground!!' and added a bunch of zelda references in it.

Mushroom World 1-1 (Lost Levels)
2AA0-0000-0056-DCFF

WVW69iaAKFgiDm_f7Q

Rupees in the Dungeon (Remix)
B096-0000-0061-3E5B

WVW69iaejVUxeILDL6

Dark Side of the Goomba (Remix)
5F65-0000-0060-8B3E

WVW69iabz5oqmT_y4N

I'll be playing some more GAF 1-1 stages today and I'll provide feedback as I did yesterday.

andymcc

Banned
Revised 'Dark Side of the Goomba' so now you can't get stuck near the big old Goomba Floyd. I added some SFX as a reference to Dark Side of the Moon and also for fun.

Deleted my first stage 'Tutorial Gone Wrong?!'. I rather have people play Mushroom World 1-1. Remixed my second stage 'Coins in the Underground!!' and added a bunch of zelda references in it.

Mushroom World 1-1 (Lost Levels)
2AA0-0000-0056-DCFF

Rupees in the Dungeon (Remix)
B096-0000-0061-3E5B

Dark Side of the Goomba (Remix)
5F65-0000-0060-8B3E

I'll be playing some more GAF 1-1 stages today and I'll provide feedback as I did yesterday.

I actually played your Mushroom World 1-1 last night. I starred it and commented I think.

Man, I have been neglecting everything to play this. I wanna play all these gaf leves and give comments but I haven't had a computer in some months. All my feedback is from my phone haha. I love giving thorough feedback but damn, after a few paragraphs phone typing is amnoying. A lot of yall I played your levels even though I didnt leave feedback though :)

Double

Speed run challenge:

UFO: STAGE 02
0671-0000-003A-121F

Finish the level in 19 seconds or under.

Some of you here have played this earlier or seen the level on a few streams, but I also built a speed run option to the level and would love to hear some feedback about that. Is it too difficult / hidden or just fine overall and challenge-wise considering it is what it is?

Happy to try out your levels as well if you want honest, no bullshit opinions and feedback.

I played your stage, challenging and fun, the same goes for the Speedrun option. Took me 30 seconds still tho lol (as stated in the Miiverse ;)). Took me a few tries to get to the star
(only managed it from the right side)
and then some to realise what to do exactly with it without falling in a hole lol.

Myself, I give feedback through Miiverse, feels more personal and convenient to me. This thread is already way too flooded.
Yeah, I tend to comment using Miiverse. It would be spamming to just say "enjoyed your level" in this thread everytime I played a level.

I won't post it until all 4 stages are done, but I plan to make a mechanics stage which each Super Mario game.

Real Hero

Just started with the game here's my first few levels, they are pretty short and easy but I'll post them anyway

BACA-0000-003E-7642

547B-0000-0043-89E2

EB20-0000-004A-D0CC

66BO-0000-0061-4F0E

The last one is the hardest but I don't know if its actually any good

Dude, your levels are hard lol. I tried about a dozen times to beat this level and failed miserably every time. I overshot the goal at one point and got trapped by the door with the spiney. And Bowser's stuns are a bitch. Its a good level, but brutal.

Hey, thanks for the feedback! I was going for "really hard, but in a way that makes you want to keep trying", so it's great to hear that you kept at it. Oh, and if you made it to the end, I wouldn't say you "failed miserably", lol; that's really good actually. I'll give you a walkthrough in spoiler tags below if you're interested in giving it another go.

1.)
You're supposed to use the turtle, two buzzy beetles, and the turtle in the box at the beginning as ammunition to take out the first gauntlet of piranha plants. You can actually cheese the part a bit if you go far enough right, come back to the beginning, and cause the turtle/beetles to respawn.

2,)
If you make it through the first gauntlet of piranha plants as Super Mario, then skip the next part where you can go straight up on single coin blocks dodging piranha flowers. The only thing up there is a mushroom, which you already have.

3.)
In any case, if you keep Super Mario at this point, break the middle bricks under the lowest piranha (to the right of the others) to spawn a flying fire flower. Collect it, destroy the piranha, then leap up to the high ledge with additional fire flower in the middle. From there, you can waste Bowser and one of the hammer bros with fire for easier access through the block fort. Sometimes Bowser will leap out, but no biggie, you can fall down, go to where he is, and waste him down there.

If you're Small Mario here, run under the fort and jump right at the edge of each two brick gap; time it right at a full sprint and you won't get stuck in the gaps and be subject to Bowser's stuns. At the end of this little run, there's a single brick with a mushroom if you need.

4.)
The final piranha gauntlet is really hard to avoid taking damage. I'd advise simply collecting that mushroom from the brick in point 3.) above and using the mercy invincibility from getting hit to run through. Better yet, if you've made a perfect run to this point, you can destroy all of these piranha plants with fire balls.

5.)
Clearing the final piranha gauntlet leaves you with two paths to the end. If you have Fire Power (or maybe only Super Mario if you're timing is perfect), you can use the final two lifts littered with piranhas to reach a secret exit in the sky surrounded by spikes. You should destroy the piranhas on the first lift with fireballs (jump off the flying cloud to get high enough to shoot them), then jump straight into the prianhas on the second lift, and use your mercy invincibility to clear the spikes. If you're still Super Mario at this point, you can take one more hit by the spiny at the end (after you take the door) and jump to the goal. This saves you the hassle of dealing with the floating clouds.

Or, if you didn't preserve Fire Mario, you'll have to time the flying clouds. Get on the first one, run off to the second, and then leap up to the third, highest cloud (don't bother with the final lower one, it's only there to give you a preview of the level end). Get on the left most edge of the high cloud wait for it to move right, then do a running jump, bounce off the turtle, and (here's the key), take a little off your jump at the end so you don't wind up trapped in that little spiny hole after the goal. From here, you should be able to do a little bunny hop on the double bricks and reach the goal.

Whew, that was exhausting! Thanks again for playing, and send me any course codes you have so I can play and star them.

For others who want a brutal challenge, here's the level in question. Still at only 1.5% completion rate.

Alright GAF, you want a tough level? Well here you go, my latest level below currently has only a 1% completion rate, so let's see who here can conquer it. Bonus points if you can make it through with a power-up in tact.

cFwWpZ2.jpg

Name: Greenhouse Grindhouse

Code: (5E95-0000-0054-B92E)

Description: A non-linear mixture of tight platforming and bullet hell hazards. Perfect your own strategy and path to survive the Grindhouse.

The Hopsichord -

CD85-0000-0060-11D6

I had an idea about a piano that turned into a level in which you visit a broken giant 'Hopsichord' and delve inside its machinery to get it playing right...but something changes every time you return.

Great visual design, I love the narrative, but unfortunately, I think I got stuck here:
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01vsoem.jpg

I think the vine was supposed to come out from the top. Now the note block is preventing me from slipping through the small opening on the left from where I came, and there doesn't seem to be an exit above me.

correojon

OK, so I played all entries for the Community Contest and have chosen my favorites. I judged levels based on them being a 1-1, meaning that they had to teach something to the player and allow him to experiment without big penalties. My 3 favorites are:

3 points: Super Mario Adventure World 1-1: This level doesn´t teach any specific mechanic directly, but instead it teaches the whole gameplay of Mario games in a nice way. You are required to use your jumps in different ways, enemies are presented safely and exploration is highly encoraged and rewarded. It gets the most points because the teaching process is the most elegant of all entries, masterfully integrated in the level itself.

2 points: Koopa Hill: This level does a wonderful job teaching the player how to deal with Koopas and use their shells for various purposes. Everything is done in a controlled environment and the pacing is perfect. Using Koopas was a nice idea because they can be used to teach the player many things that will later serve him against other enemies in the game.

1 point: Underground Tutorials: The idea of separating the real world challenges and the tutorials in different areas is very nice. It teaches basic mechanics in a cool way but at the same time leaves place for expert players to skip the tutorials and to use these mechanics with more dexterity to unlock secrets. It was a bit short though, but I still like it. it gets 1 point because the level´s too short and some more gameplay should´ve been present.

I starred al contestants though, there were some nice levels in the group, so congratulations to everybody!

(mat)

I'm loving the comments on my Bob-omb Shooting Gallery level (C159-0000-0039-1DA0):

WVW69iacZFwBD_76dr

This game is great.

I hope the Bob-omb Shooting Gallery 2 gets as much attention! (D0E8-0000-0054-F4A2)

Thud

I actually played your Mushroom World 1-1 last night. I starred it and commented I think.

Hah, I thought it was someone random, but it turns out to be a gaffer. Thanks for the star and comment. I agree, Lost Levels stages are awesome and challenging!

Trying your Drybones Icy Airfleet right now :p.

Hey Maker-GAF! I've tried creating some stages that follow proper design principles, and I'd love some feedback. They are still very basic considering I haven't unlocked a lot of tools yet, but I don't mind starting out simple.

Underground Utopia: 457C-0000-0061-5AB2

Koopa Cove: 6F4E-0000-005D-FBBF

Piranha Paratrooper Paradise: 3228-0000-005D-2C80

The last one is the only one even remotely difficult, but I'd love to see what people think thus far.

it's probably been stated a million times but this unlock system is the dumbest shit I've ever seen in a game

besides that, I'm having a lot more fun messing around with the course maker than I ever expected I would. Gonna spend the next hour working around Nintendo's bullshit so that I can tediously unlock parts I should have started with, then I get to have some real fun

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Uh, did SMB always have the animation when Mario did a sharp turn? It's really weird and I don't remember it...

Pinky

Banned
it's probably been stated a million times but this unlock system is the dumbest shit I've ever seen in a game

besides that, I'm having a lot more fun messing around with the course maker than I ever expected I would. Gonna spend the next hour working around Nintendo's bullshit so that I can tediously unlock parts I should have started with, then I get to have some real fun

It doesn't take long at all. You'll have everything unlocked in no time.

Uh, did SMB always have the animation when Mario did a sharp turn? It's really weird and I don't remember it...

yes

7Y2BRbp.png

I'm mainly confused because I'm getting conflicting information from my searches. I don't have to do any of that time travel fuckery, right?

Yeah, it's very easy.

- Play around making a level for 5 minutes (no other game modes, actual editor)

- Game says "you will get more stuff tomorrow, 9/23" or whatever (this is true, but misleading)

- Play around for another 5 minutes, use every new object at least once and place at least 500 objects (500 coins etc., drag all over the screen)

- Game says "oh the stuff arrived earlier than expected, here it is"

- Repeat 8 times

Pinky

Banned
I'm mainly confused because I'm getting conflicting information from my searches. I don't have to do any of that time travel fuckery, right?

You don't have to do that. Just spam the crap out of your available tiles until you get a notification that the delivery truck has arrived with new assets. Once your new items arrive(they'll have a '!' next to them), start spamming those until the truck arrives again. Rinse and repeat.

Top Bottom