• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

kiryogi

Banned
Whew, that was exhausting! Thanks again for playing, and send me any course codes you have so I can play and star them.

For others who want a brutal challenge, here's the level in question. Still at only 1.5% completion rate.

That wasn't too bad at all. Spent a lot less time clearing it unlike Bowling with Bowser. Or maybe Bowling with Bowser tempered me for this. But at least you had a powerup in the beginning XD

I actually used it to damageboost through that first gauntlet. Then made up way to the top of the Pirahana climb and jumped onto the fire flower. From there I'd just tactically take out Bowser and the enemies ahead. Then made way to the secret exit. Self discovery, didn't read your guide!

That said, here's my course, a tricky Ghost house, and it remains highly difficult with a very low completion % (This is like the 4th revision at this point though to try and balance things) The only hint I give and I hammer this on the player hard anyway, do not listen to the arrows.

Escape Boo's Haunted Lab! (One Exclamation Mark now!)
(1409-0000-005F-1C03)

Thanks! I'm glad you liked them! :)

I don't think I agree with that entirely. The first Thwomp you see in Mario 3 is fairly clearly set up to be jumped over after it falls (note how the player would have died had he not gone into the level already powered up) and the second Thwomp is designed for you to wait and then run under it (this technically applies to the first Thwomp as well). They aren't expressly designed simply for sprinting under like a madman and by design they're first presented as something you need to be patient with, not with haste.

Ok, and the rest of my post does not apply because?

(90% of the time you are suppose to go under the Thwomp. Tthere are about 1 million examples in the series that demonstrate this. I don't really feel its necessary to make this a "not necessary", your posting the exception not the rule.

Thanks! I'm glad you liked them! :)

I don't think I agree with that entirely. The first Thwomp you see in Mario 3 is fairly clearly set up to be jumped over after it falls (note how the player would have died had he not gone into the level already powered up) and the second Thwomp is designed for you to wait and then run under it (this technically applies to the first Thwomp as well). They aren't expressly designed simply for sprinting under like a madman and by design they're first presented as something you need to be patient with, not with haste.

The interesting thing about this is not that you're meant to jump over but that the thwomp is meant to hit you, IMHO. It's meant to show you how devious thwomps are and indeed that you have to be patient around them as you point out. Still, you're supposed to get hit by that the first time. Which is why complaining that players are dying is just a ridiculous and futile complaint.

Naar

Guys, I'll be streaming in about an hour. If you want me to give your stage a try you can add it to the list :) 1 per person for now. I'm streaming a bit before I have to get my butt to work. You can quote this message for the stream link.

Also, while you wait for me to go live at www.twitch.tv/xindicate_gaming you can try my latest stage out :)

Can you try my stage? Only 2 have played it and would like to know what to add/improve on for next level

9467-0000-005D-4C87 Bowsers Treacherous Climb

Sephzilla

The interesting thing about this is not that you're meant to jump over but that the thwomp is meant to hit you, IMHO. It's meant to show you how devious thwomps are and indeed that you have to be patient around them as you point out. Still, you're supposed to get hit by that the first time. Which is why complaining that players are dying is just a ridiculous and futile complaint.

c8Ene56.gif

You know what, you've convinced me

jarosh

Guys, I'll be streaming in about an hour. If you want me to give your stage a try you can add it to the list :) 1 per person for now. I'm streaming a bit before I have to get my butt to work. You can quote this message for the link to the stage list.

Also, while you wait for me to go live at www.twitch.tv/xindicate_gaming you can try my latest stage out :)

edit: oops, just noticed the spreadsheet! added mine

Gonna try your stage in a bit!

Kebiinu

Banned
Guys, I'll be streaming in about an hour. If you want me to give your stage a try you can add it to the list :) 1 per person for now. I'm streaming a bit before I have to get my butt to work. You can quote this message for the link to the stage list.

I added myself to the document, and I also tried your stage! It's tough, I couldn't make it to the end, and I was having trouble riding the shell through the necessary obstacles. Is it linear? I didn't really know where to go, as I saw platforms and doors above me, and I expected that I could reach them via hidden platform somewhere.

Perhaps include some arrows and more safety nets for users to get adjusted to the mechanics of shell surfing? Nice concept, overall!

Kyzon

If you could stream my level Hotel California, I'd greatly appreciate it.

5039-0000-005E-C150

I'd appreciate it if you could play mine and let me know what you think. It's meant to be in the vein of a traditional Mario level.

How Do I Walljump?
BD83-0000-004E-6ED8

A Night In The City: 7F8F-0000-003F-12F3

Simple story level I made. Appreciate it! Gonna try your stage when I get on again.

Ice Bridge To Eternity
C01F-0000-0059-2F20

Added Y'all to the list since I didn't notice that I worded my original post wrong.
Anyone else can quote this post to add themselves.

Edit: Adding those above me as well, lol

DoubleYou

I love these streams :D

Third Time's The Charm
ID: 8224-0000-0061-C0E8

Gonna try yours now!

Kyzon

I added myself to the document, and I also tried your stage! It's tough, I couldn't make it to the end, and I was having trouble riding the shell through the necessary obstacles. Is it linear? I didn't really know where to go, as I saw platforms and doors above me, and I expected that I could reach them via hidden platform somewhere.

Perhaps include some arrows and more safety nets for users to get adjusted to the mechanics of shell surfing? Nice concept, overall!

It's linear, from left to right for the most part. The part in the ghost house is to teach you the mechanics you need to know for the subworld. Arrows pointing down means duck, and those pointing up means jump. After that you can choose the path you wish to take in the sub world, and ride it to the end.

I love these streams :D

Third Time's The Charm
ID: 8224-0000-0061-C0E8

Gonna try yours now!

Added ya to that list as well :p

BowieZ

Banned
Is it just me or would it be a great idea for Nintendo to individually sell Course World for, say, $10, to people who may be interested in "unlimited Mario" but not really the design aspect?

That would get more people playing designers' levels, rather than sort of relying on just designers to also be playing levels.

LGom09

Monty's Grinder Winder: FA69-0000-005E-2B33

This is the second - and I think final - revision for my first level. I'm kind of surprised that none of the five people who've played it have been able to clear it. I don't think it's excessively difficult, but I'm pretty stingy with power-ups. I wanted to reward the player for getting through certain sections without getting hit and placing a bunch of mushrooms in the course would kind of ruin that.

Thud

Dark Side of the Goomba (Remix)
5F65-0000-0060-8B3E

I'll try your stage later! Secrets yes.

Naar

It's linear, from left to right for the most part. The part in the ghost house is to teach you the mechanics you need to know for the subworld. Arrows pointing down means duck, and those pointing up means jump. After that you can choose the path you wish to take in the sub world, and ride it to the end.

i just saw your document. what do you mean by secrets? like secret blocks? or secret paths? both? just curious (the level i submitted doesnt have any secrets)

BowieZ

Banned

I haven't seen a single person play my levels yet! So if you've still got room, try my 1-1 contest sequel, Super Mario Adventure - World 1-2: F4C4 0000 005D 7664 (yes, there are several major secret areas and special 1up tricks!)

wYrpbRH.jpg

Trying your level now!

Dreavus

It's certainly interesting being on the other side of level design for a change (with only limited feedback on one's levels unfortunately). The thing is you can't really blame the players too much, they're the ones showing you potential rough spots in your level and ultimately the ones playing it! If you think it's an easy jump but people are dying all around the place, then maybe it warrants revisiting if you want to make it more accessible. If it's there to increase the difficulty, then that's fine too, but I'd hesitate to lament how bad people playing your level are. In my experience showing off my levels in person with people who aren't really that hardcore players, people get hung up on unexpected things from my perspective, but from there it's my choice on whether to "fix it" or leave it in as a challenge. I think we need to come to expect lots of plays coming from players at a lower skill level.

I think it's just the nature of the game that some players are going to be better than others and whether or not you want to try and design levels for everyone is up to you as the creator.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Just trying to put my levels in one post.

Up and Atom! Was really cool, you can bypass one of the moving wall jump sections with a long jump+air stall though (between the two set of opposing springs) if you're planning on tweaking

Ramsiege

Hello humans of NeoGAF.

I have built a grotesque portal into the unfathomable abyss of the Ancient Ones perfect recreation of level 1-1 from the video game Super Mario Brothers as commanded by Lord Cthulhu himself by my own volition. It has been made in the exact image of the aforementioned level, down to the very last block. Please try it. It is safe to play for humans of any kind.

h9aiw7J.png

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Took me a dozen tries but I made it!! That last little bit with all the squids was intense!

B_Bech

Hey, can you add my new Zelda level to the list Kyzon? You should be following me. I'd get the code but I'm currently at work. I love your streams!

Kyzon

Here is mine!

4D2jObt.jpg

Dark Side of the Goomba (Remix)
5F65-0000-0060-8B3E

I'll try your stage later! Secrets yes.

i just saw your document. what do you mean by secrets? like secret blocks? or secret paths? both? just curious (the level i submitted doesnt have any secrets)

Secret Paths mostly, but anything that I should try to find

I haven't seen a single person play my levels yet! So if you've still got room, try my 1-1 contest sequel, Super Mario Adventure - World 1-2: F4C4 0000 005D 7664 (yes, there are several major secret areas and special 1up tricks!)

wYrpbRH.jpg

Trying your level now!

Add yourselves to the spreadsheet, lol. I'm about to start so I can't type everyone else's down.

http://www.twitch.tv/xindicate_gaming

Mario Maker has convinced me that a lot of people genuinely suck at Mario (both from a design and gameplay perspective). On my Game of Thwomps level an overwhelming majority of people die on the first Thwomp of the level that can be avoided simply by not running full-steam into it because why would you do that it's clearly too low for you to make it past in time. On my Dry Bones Fortress level a bunch of people have died to the first fire stick that you see coming a mile away.

My face when I look at where some people die in my levels:

XGsOcvJ.gif

No amount of smart level design can take stupidity into account.

To be fair most people at forums/reddit etc. are making levels that are too difficult for the average player, maybe even the above average player. I've played a lot where I'm just like...are you kidding me, your level was self-described as "easy" and this is ridiculous.

Bottomless pits are the most common instant death in the game. A lack of good powerup distribution is another. More people need to try to keep both of these things in mind. I know everyone tends to think that Nintendo's levels are too easy and now they get to make the difficult levels they always wanted to make, but often it's just a little too much, and Nintendo honestly gets their balance right by comparison.

correojon

There's no need to time anything, you can just run blindly and crouch and slide! It's 100% foolproof. One of the springs will always carry the Thwomp.

It never occurred to me to crouch while being small Mario, I thought it didn´t make a difference...I´m stupid please forget everything I said :S

Sölf

Hey there! I would like if you gave this a shot. It's my first try at a "dungeon", still pretty basic though.

WVW69iZ0SVY5aORN4k

Piranha Temple
2124-0000-0052-978D

Burbeting

Banned
New Level:
Five Floors of Trials
ID: F74A-0000-0058-B84D

It's like the name says, there will be five floors full of platforming trials for you to overcome. It's a pure platforming level unlike my earlier two. One word of advice: Spinning is needed to pass the level..

Earlier levels:

I have made two levels now, I would appreciate if people try them. I have psoted the first one here earlier, but since the second is now ready, I'll post both together again.

Both levels are "100 coin-challanges" aka. there are 100 coins scattered throughout the level. Getting to finish in both of the levels is very easy, but the real challange comes from trying to gather all coins that require some precise platforming to do.

WVW69iYy8PIdKhc9C1

Can you find all 100 coins?
ID: 5518-0000-0036-4818

Notes: The first level of the two. Uses only Level-1 creative tools so it's pretty barebones in some aspects. The level requires you to use most of Mario's moveset from NSMB.

WVW69iZI12wkQOe5z4

Can you find all 100 Lava Coins?
ID: 46BD-0000-0041-BB41

Notes: The second level, and the one that had more thought and time spent on it. Has more tools used in it, so it has bit more complex challanges in it. Finding all 100 coins is still your objective..

You know what I want? A 'Daily Playlists' feature. Curated playlists consisting of 8 to 10 levels chosen by Nintendo or the users I follow.

I don't even want the ability to design a world map for it. Just let me use the same linear "world map" that the challenges use.

That wasn't too bad at all. Spent a lot less time clearing it unlike Bowling with Bowser. Or maybe Bowling with Bowser tempered me for this. But at least you had a powerup in the beginning XD

I actually used it to damageboost through that first gauntlet. Then made up way to the top of the Pirahana climb and jumped onto the fire flower. From there I'd just tactically take out Bowser and the enemies ahead. Then made way to the secret exit. Self discovery, didn't read your guide!

That said, here's my course, a tricky Ghost house, and it remains highly difficult with a very low completion % (This is like the 4th revision at this point though to try and balance things) The only hint I give and I hammer this on the player hard anyway, do not listen to the arrows.

Escape Boo's Haunted Lab! (One Exclamation Mark now!)
(1409-0000-005F-1C03)

Nice, good job and thanks for playing! Yeah, the few strategic power ups are there to make the level do-able instead of sadistic. The goal is to give you a good workout, but not torture the player.

I'll try your level when I get home tonight; thanks again!

You know what I want? A 'Daily Playlists' feature. Curated playlists consisting of 8 to 10 levels chosen by Nintendo or the users I follow.

I don't even want the ability to design a world map for it. Just let me use the same linear "world map" that the challenges use.
Playlists would be a brilliant new addition. Could make a "Fun" and "Challenging" sets.
Maybe you can play 100 Mario from levels only in a playlist or something.

Sephzilla

To be fair most people at forums/reddit etc. are making levels that are too difficult for the average player, maybe even the above average player. I've played a lot where I'm just like...are you kidding me, your level was self-described as "easy" and this is ridiculous.

Bottomless pits are the most common instant death in the game. A lack of good powerup distribution is another. More people need to try to keep both of these things in mind. I know everyone tends to think that Nintendo's levels are too easy and now they get to make the difficult levels they always wanted to make, but often it's just a little too much, and Nintendo honestly gets their balance right by comparison.

Agreed with most of what you said. Two things I always really try to keep in mind with my levels are powerups and general difficulty. My personal rule is that if I think a level I'm making is challenging, I instantly go back and make tweaks to it to make it a bit easier because I know my natural gauge for what I find challenging in Mario is a bit off because I like more challenging stuff. I personally try to ultimately aim for "mid game Mario 3" level challenging with most of my levels because I subjectively think that's the sweet spot for Mario. Starting with Mario World onwards, that's when I think Nintendo started to make their Mario games too easy.

Ultimately this whole discussion makes me really wish Mario Maker had a full on replay system so I could get a full visual on how players are dying in my levels.

Stoze

Aw man, for some reason I thought the 1-1 submissions were due in Oct. (I even remember saying to myself "that seems like a long ways out"). Oh well.

Wish I had more time to play this during the week ><

Does someone think they can add a yes besides secrets to my stage in the spread sheet. I cant edit it on my phone sadly :(

Home in 2 hours. Gonna go hard on feedback for gaf

kiryogi

Banned
Agreed with most of what you said. Two things I always really try to keep in mind with my levels are powerups and general difficulty. My personal rule is that if I think a level I'm making is challenging, I instantly go back and make tweaks to it to make it a bit easier because I know my natural gauge for what I find challenging in Mario is a bit off because I like more challenging stuff.

I personally try to ultimately aim for "mid game Mario 3" level challenging with most of my levels because I subjectively think that's the sweet spot for Mario. Starting with Mario World onwards, that's when I think Nintendo started to make their Mario games too easy

Interesting. SMW I thought was hard as hell, I mean anything Choco Island and Beyond started to get pretty nasty. So my mindset is designing a level you'd find in Valley of Bowser or in Special. Special was no joke.

RetroMG

Or the option to curate levels into our own list. My nephew thinks he's amazing at Mario. I would love to pick out a list of punishing levels and give them to him in a 100 Mario Challenge.

EDIT: Or an option to have the levels come from certain creators. I've seen Ross from Game Grumps, Jirard the Completionist, and Chris-Chan on Mario Maker. Two of those three make very good levels.

Sephzilla

Interesting. SMW I thought was hard as hell, I mean anything Choco Island and Beyond started to get pretty nasty. So my mindset is designing a level you'd find in Valley of Bowser or in Special. Special was no joke.

I played through Mario World a couple of weekends ago. I legit think Choco Island is harder than Valley of Bowser. Special World is obviously no joke either so you're right in the sense that those parts are pretty hard.

Yeah, the average Mario game grew up with SMW and NSMB, so the difficulty curve is lower than what I grew up with (SMB and SMB3).
Funny thing is I still made NSMB difficulty levels which gets completed by not much stars (maybe they just hate a water level, ha ha).
However ... I got a Miiverse comment praising my puzzle level, so maybe people are just different.

The Contest gave me most stars so far, so glad I entered ... ha ha.
Might throw in some 5 filler levels that tends to get the stars, then get back to serious levels (realizing making a level where you have to spot the differences between main and sublevel is taking quite awhile since the copy function sucks in-between main and sublevel.

I will play your stage later tonight.

Here's mine. Thanks for trying it out!

Wing Fling.

(A3DD-0000-005A-BF73)

kiryogi

Banned
I played through Mario World a couple of weekends ago. I legit think Choco Island is harder than Valley of Bowser. Special World is obviously no joke either so you're right in the sense that those parts are pretty hard.

Mind you this was when I was a kid and it was my first game along with my SNES. I remember spending hours on those final levels. Bowser himself too ! I'm currently replaying it now for inspiration and ideas for balance/difficulty. But that's kind of what I'm aiming for, not a level you could clear easily, that would take time. Definitely requiring a higher degree of skill/patience otherwise. Like my friends that did put the time into clearing it did appreciate and went so far as to break my level and trivialize it. But most folks can't clear it. XD

jholmes

My latest is titled Bounce on Big Bob-omb!

WVW69iagrr0dDRz2WY

76F3-0000-0061-F95A

I had meant to do an autoscrolling SMB3 stage for some time, and here it is. Decided to go with a Yoshi's Island-style title for some reason. I figured the giant round Bob-ombs would make fun platforms to jump off. I think they are! I wish it was a tad longer but I guess that's the downside of a scrolling stage.

Please enjoy and as always, feedback such as comments, complaints, praise and seething rage are all welcome.

Well Gaf, Here it is, my first Level. I tried to keep it short and simple. (probably too simple)

A Simple Plan
58D6-0000-0062-1841

CPiDqaUUcAAUkNH.jpg

I'll now try keep up with the last pages...

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Spent the weekend playing GAF levels and handing out lots of stars! I'm super impressed that the average GAF level is far-and-above the average quality of the community as a whole--fewer cheap deaths, more emphasis on aesthetics and flow. Great stuff all around.

I've been working on a couple of levels.

Goomba Jail - FC41-0000-005A-C55F

WVW69iaJo3kEdCvVVe

This is a revision of my first level (Gooma Gaol) based on feedback from GAFers and some observations I made while watching Kyzon's stream. It's meant to be in the spirit of something you'd find in the first two worlds of SMB. Difficulty: &#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;

Koopa Heights - 4F9C-0000-005F-2DFE

WVW69iaYuSIcO27ioK

The second level I've built. It's in the spirit of mid-game SMB3. Lots of fun platforming, no cheap thrills, and a reliance on a combination of speed and confidence. Difficulty: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;

Would love feedback! Hope you enjoy. :D

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Most of my deaths come from me feeling confident in my skills and trying to run through levels---which, to be fair, I think a lot of players don't exactly have the perfect timing down like the true Mario creators do in making really good flowing levels, plus it seems like Maker's timing system is harder to get just right.

So, not really feeling the idea that people dying means they suck or they're worse at the game than others. Stupid deaths are common for me, and I've played Mario for years.

Top Bottom