• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Would like more people to play and provide feedback for my latest stage.

45E4-0000-005C-64BB

Does anything at all feel unfair? Is it ever unclear what you're supposed to do? Other than the second Wiggler segment, where are you having the most trouble and why?

DoubleYou

Alright one more and I'm off to bed.

I made this huge level where you have to decide the route you are gonna take. Most of them lead to the end but the choices you make decide the difficulty.

Took me a long time so I hope you are gonna enjoy this. :)

Fortress of Choices
ID: A41A-0000-0062-99F0

choices.png

Also don't forget to check out my other level.

Third Time's The Charm
ID: 8224-0000-0061-C0E8

thidtime.png

Good night!

correojon

Circular Platform levels are always fun!
Even if I found some branching paths a bit confusing, like this one which you can take both ways.
In Circular Platform 1 you can pick up bumpers mid-air ^^'.
The pipe wasn´t supposed to be entered from that side, I made a noobie mistake. And about grabbing the bumper mid-air...I never even thought of that. You really did a number on my levels! Glad you like them.

Some new levels:

Cheep-cheep saved my life!: 40E8-0000-005D-D5C2
Difficulty: Medium

Mario Maker - Bingo Island 1: 7F14-0000-0062-0085
Difficulty: Tutorial

My entry too late for the contest, I wanted to make an "entry level" for 100 Mario Maker.
It should feel like a Nintendo tutorial, guiding you through every traps and bad design decisions you will encounter in 100 Mario Maker. (hence the name Bingo Island.. and there's a few secrets to find!)

Shell trick!: CD55-0000-001F-2FE5
Difficulty: Die & Retry (<1% completion..)

I wish I could make more levels this hard, but no one is giving it stars.. Is it too unfair?

Kaizo Palace: 0DC2-0000-0062-02FB
Difficulty: Choose your poison!

You can choose between 10 rooms to complete the level, only one is needed.
I promise it's not too hard.. and every room is doable!
(I found an interesting (?) glitch while making this level)

I´ll try them tomorrow and give you some feedback, just replying so it´s easier to search for them ;)

Thank goodness for this thread. My wife bought me this for my birthday yesterday, and some of the levels I played were just horrible.

I tried the 100 Mario thing, and after getting all the way through it, my castle level was one of those "Don't Move" boards, which are cool in theory, but a complete letdown after all those random-ass boards.

Looking forward to trying some of these levels.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Alright one more and I'm off to bed.

I made this huge level where you have to decide the route you are gonna take. Most of them lead to the end but the choices you make decide the difficulty.

Took me a long time so I hope you are gonna enjoy this. :)

Fortress of Choices
ID: A41A-0000-0062-99F0

I love the look of this map overview. Very nice aesthetically, and seems like it'll be fun to explore. I'm going to check it out when I get home!

Sölf

Thank goodness for this thread. My wife bought me this for my birthday yesterday, and some of the levels I played were just horrible.

I tried the 100 Mario thing, and after getting all the way through it, my castle level was one of those "Don't Move" boards, which are cool in theory, but a complete letdown after all those random-ass boards.

Looking forward to trying some of these levels.

Happy Birthday! And as I've written before, anything from this thread is milles better than 100 Mario Challenge. And most of the maps are really good. :D

If we're talking about "This will make me skip your level" triggers, I'll add one.

Did you make a path for progress that is dependent on something but didn't account for the player losing that something? Skip.

The number of people who put springs in NSMBU and SMW levels without realizing it is REALLY EASY to pick them up and throw them in a ditch boggles my mind. Hey, I can't finish your level now, thanks.

Neki

I like how the plays you get on your level don't really decline over time.

Over a week later I'm still getting about the same daily average. I imagine that means Nintendo doesn't place much emphasis on how new levels are when it puts them in rotation.

Lol I'm lucky to get one person a day, I have no idea what decided who plays what

RagnarokX

World is hard if you compare it to the cakewalk that is the New series. World is easy if you compare it to 1, Lost Levels, or 3.
Nothing can be compared to SMW to make it seem hard. It is by far the easiest 2D Mario game. It has the fewest levels and few of them are difficult, even compared to the easiest NSMB game (2). It doesn't hold a candle to NSMBWii and NSMBU.

I've always figured SMW's level of challenge was having consistently simple overworld stages only ever taking the gloves off in forts and castles, especially noticeable in Choco Island and Valley of Bowser where the standard stages are just so too easy I suppose for late game yet the castles bring the thunder.
I just finished a replay yesterday and I swear the numbered Valley of Bowser stages are barely even on SMB3 World 5 level.

Special World though, yeah that's quite a jump up in difficulty.
You know, maybe some people think SMW is harder because it's so uneven. Most of the game is a cakewalk, so the harder levels stand out. NSMB games have a much more even difficulty curve, so even though there's more challenge you're more prepared for it since it keeps you stimulated.

Even most of Special isn't that hard. Superstar Road has it soundly beat.

A new one of mine, meant to be a 3-4 kind of deal.

Temple of Strixaphobia: AAA8-0000-0062-B54A

I'm thinking it might be a little too easy for how intimidating I wanted it to seem with traversing the huge statues, but then again things are always harder when playing them blind. Any feedback would be appreciated!

BashNasty

Made my second level. Nothing too fancy.

yFafunM.jpg

Bob-omb Bridge (1723-0000-0062-AB5E)

Played your course. It was a little too messy, a few to many things going on at once to really make playing through the level feel fun and not a chore. The outta nowhere thwomp was a bad idea too. I got killed by that once, and it was annoying. Regardless, starred it, because you clearly put some though into the course. Don't be stingy with stars, people! We all need them! This game's players are the most stingy with liking courses that I've ever seen (not that this fully applies to GAF, but goddamn).

Couple new courses of mine:

Mushroom Top Trample 9B08-0000-0054-0BE6
WVW69iZ30YcDx7Qycu

Fairly easy course designed to evoke a Super Mario World level.

Squealin' Feelings F5EA-0000-0059-C598
WVW69iaHHS8F5BWcXE

Course my roommate, who is not particularly good at platforms made. Fun course with some interesting secrets. We had a lot of fun collaborating while making it.

Artillery Armada A9BC-0000-005F-891A
WVW69iaY-0EG-uHnPw

My newest course. Harder than I typically make my courses, but still very doable. Particularly if you grab one of the many newbie friendly capes scattered around.

Any feedback on these courses (particularly my roommate's course) would be awesome!

Nothing can be compared to SMW to make it seem hard. It is by far the easiest 2D Mario game. It has the fewest levels and few of them are difficult, even compared to the easiest NSMB game (2). It doesn't hold a candle to NSMBWii and NSMBU.

You know, maybe some people think SMW is harder because it's so uneven. Most of the game is a cakewalk, so the harder levels stand out. NSMB games have a much more even difficulty curve, so even though there's more challenge you're more prepared for it since it keeps you stimulated.

Even most of Special isn't that hard. Superstar Road has it soundly beat.

Special world is pretty hard. All this X game is a cake walk, Y game was so easy is exactly why gaf's levels are too hard for the average player lolol

aidan

Don't be stingy with stars, people! We all need them! This game's players are the most stingy with liking courses that I've ever seen (not that this fully applies to GAF, but goddamn).

This is something I've been thinking a lot about. At first, I decided to be free flowing with stars, to encourage people to keep creating (especially other gaffers), but I had a lot of trouble handing out stars to levels that were obviously dashed together and not play-tested thoroughly. In the end, I want to encourage other players to take their time with their designs. Play the level, smooth out its rough edges, execute on your ideas and iterate until you have them right.

(As I've said earlier, though, most, if not all, of the GAF levels show a level of thought that is above-and-beyond the average level created by the outside community, and I find myself starring them a lot more frequently.)

I'm looking forward to checking out your levels. :)

DoubleYou

A new one of mine, meant to be a 3-4 kind of deal.

Temple of Strixaphobia: AAA8-0000-0062-B54A

I'm thinking it might be a little too easy for how intimidating I wanted it to seem with traversing the huge statues, but then again things are always harder when playing them blind. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Just cleared it. I didn't think it was too easy. I liked how it had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Good job.

I love the look of this map overview. Very nice aesthetically, and seems like it'll be fun to explore. I'm going to check it out when I get home!

Thanks! For now... Let me know if you liked it. :)

Played your course. It was a little too messy, a few to many things going on at once to really make playing through the level feel fun and not a chore. The outta nowhere thwomp was a bad idea too. I got killed by that once, and it was annoying. Regardless, starred it, because you clearly put some though into the course. Don't be stingy with stars, people! We all need them! This game's players are the most stingy with liking courses that I've ever seen (not that this fully applies to GAF, but goddamn).

WVW69iZ30YcDx7Qycu

WVW69iaHHS8F5BWcXE

Course my roommate, who is not particularly good at platforms made. Fun course with some interesting secrets. We had a lot of fun collaborating while making it.

WVW69iaY-0EG-uHnPw

My newest course. Harder than I typically make my courses, but still very doable. Particularly if you grab one of the many newbie friendly capes scattered around.

Any feedback on these courses (particularly my roommate's course) would be awesome!

I star pretty much all the gaf levels but I am not starring bullshit. If a gaf level is bullshit with no desire to improve I aint starring it (that rarely happens though). If people want stars they have to out some smidge of thought process and effort into it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Playing 100 Mario on Expert is like... such a chore these days.

GAF generally doesn't need this advice since y'all make good levels, but if I see the following I WILL skip your level:

- Killed by something offscreen that I couldn't possibly see or react to? SKIP.
- Killed within 1 second of starting the level because you put enemies right the fuck in front of the spawn? SKIP
- Springs everywhere? SKIP
- Troll block placement? SKIP
- Sound effects on pretty much every block? SKIP
- Gaps where you're likely to fall into a pit because you hit a ceiling so every jump has to be pixel perfect? SKIP
- Countless enemies on screen at a time? SKIP

Agreed, a lot of the stages are just terrible.

However having said that I actually created a stage that is full of springs, I am not proud of that level as it didn't work as I wanted it to be.

aidan

Is there a way to view the full map of your level aside from the load screen in Course Bot or once you've uploaded it?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Most of my deaths come from me feeling confident in my skills and trying to run through levels---which, to be fair, I think a lot of players don't exactly have the perfect timing down like the true Mario creators do in making really good flowing levels, plus it seems like Maker's timing system is harder to get just right.

So, not really feeling the idea that people dying means they suck or they're worse at the game than others. Stupid deaths are common for me, and I've played Mario for years.

Definitely agree with this. I tend to experiment a lot when playing a stage for the first time and seeing where certain boundaries lie when it comes to hazards and how to pass them.

I'm calling slight BS on this.

Mario 1, 3, and even World are noticeably harder than NSMB. With 3 and World you'll start to really hit the harder levels roughly around world 6 / Choco World. With the "New" games you don't even start to see a glimmer of challenge until World 8 and usually the real stuff is World 9 now. And this isn't me talking from the perspective of nostalgia, I've played all 4 of these within the last 6 months. I'm not intending this to be a slam on the NSMB games, I love them, but they're definitely easier than the ones most of us grew up on.

But hey, I'm just glad they're not revisiting Lost Levels-tier difficulty.

NSMBW and NSMBU are on-par with SMB3 in difficulty. I remember playing NSMBW for the first time and being slightly impressed that even world 1 had an auto-scroll level on tracks over an endless bottomless pit.

SMW is piss-easy compared to almost every game except maybe the portable NSMBs. It has some "challenge," but mostly a different variety of challenge that comes from puzzle-solving and secret exits in bonus worlds than the type of platforming challenge that comes from the other games.

Peltz

If we're talking about "This will make me skip your level" triggers, I'll add one.

Did you make a path for progress that is dependent on something but didn't account for the player losing that something? Skip.

The number of people who put springs in NSMBU and SMW levels without realizing it is REALLY EASY to pick them up and throw them in a ditch boggles my mind. Hey, I can't finish your level now, thanks.

Same here. If something is required to advance, make it respawn in a pipe or cannon.

BooJoh

People seemed to be having trouble finishing my latest level so I updated it to make it much easier, replacing a ring of Big Boos with a single chaser.

WVW69iai4k80V8PvB1

Big Boo's Box of Bewilderment

1CB8-0000-0062-C528

Bedlam

Hey guys. I have the game since release and have been playing or creating levels every second day or so ... but I still just recently unlocked the Castle set, really basic stuff. It's frustrating that everything unlocks so slowly; I thought that progression was patched out or something? What am I missing here in order to speed up the unlocks?

Also, this is my first level:

Over the Hills and Far Away 1-1b: 2989-0000-005C-18AB

My goal was to make a level that you could theoretically encounter in the original SMB game as an early stage. Nothing too outragous or difficult, but rather fun with a good flow. Would love to hear some criticism from you guys (is it too easy? etc.).

Playing 100 Mario on Expert is like... such a chore these days.

GAF generally doesn't need this advice since y'all make good levels, but if I see the following I WILL skip your level:

- Killed by something offscreen that I couldn't possibly see or react to? SKIP.
- Killed within 1 second of starting the level because you put enemies right the fuck in front of the spawn? SKIP
- Springs everywhere? SKIP
- Troll block placement? SKIP
- Sound effects on pretty much every block? SKIP
- Gaps where you're likely to fall into a pit because you hit a ceiling so every jump has to be pixel perfect? SKIP
- Countless enemies on screen at a time? SKIP

+

- trial & error sequences
- dead ends (with no way back)

I tried the Expert 100 Mario Challenge yesterday and quite frankly it was a shit experience. I had to give up. There's just so much garbage out there.

BooJoh

Hey guys. I have the game since release and have been playing or creating levels every second day or so ... but I still just recently unlocked the Castle set, really basic stuff. It's frustrating that everything unlocks so slowly; I thought that progression was patched out or something? What am I missing here in order to speed up the unlocks?

Also, this is my first level:

Over the Hills and Far Away 1-1b: 2989-0000-005C-18AB

My goal was to make a level that you could theoretically encounter in the original SMB game as an early stage. Nothing too outragous or difficult, but rather fun with a good flow. Would love to hear some criticism from you guys (is it too easy? etc.).

When the game tells you a new shipment will arrive the next day, make sure you've placed every item in your tools at least once, then spam blocks all over a stage in the editor until it pops up a message saying the shipment arrived early. Repeat until you unlock everything.

DoubleYou

Make sure there are no ! signs left on the objects. Then start randomly placing blocks until the delivery truck arrives. Takes about a few minutes per set.

Neki

WVW69iZ30YcDx7Qycu

WVW69iaHHS8F5BWcXE

WVW69iaY-0EG-uHnPw

Played all your courses.

First one: thematically I really liked it, coin placement was good so there was no leap of faith, only thing I didn't like much was the star placement, doesn't give the player time to react to grab it.

Second one was okay, very short and the bombs ruined my first leaf run because I couldn't get enough speed, also putting the pipe above the end was weird because there is room to jump in it, didn't realize it goes the other direction until the end. The enemy placement on the bottom was a bit haphazard.

Third one was a cool theme, but I think the cape made the level really easy. Otherwise it was a fun airship level.

Would you mind trying out my map? I really want some feedback:

Super Rosalina Galaxy
3EC5-0000-005D-FFED

bITUuTz.jpg

Airship level with a different Bowser boss fight at the end

Bedlam

When the game tells you a new shipment will arrive the next day, make sure you've placed every item in your tools at least once, then spam blocks all over a stage in the editor until it pops up a message saying the shipment arrived early. Repeat until you unlock everything.

Make sure there are no ! signs left on the objects. Then start randomly placing blocks until the delivery truck arrives. Takes about a few minutes per set.

Thanks!

Can't say that I like the approach Nintendo took with the unlocks.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Ok, I'm uploading my stars level for a third time. This time the change is BIG. You guys are gonna like this addition assuming I did my job in making this addition clear. I tried to. Sort of an idea I'm stealing from someone earlier in the thread, but it's one worth stealing. I even renamed the level to make the addition clear.

Stars Evil! Checkpoint Good! - E39D-0000-0062-CFFC

Bydobob

I'll try the level tomorrow.

Here's my level:

Castle Nightmare(Prepare to die): AEA0-0000-0046-AEC7

Dastardly, dastardly level, must've taken me about 50 tries! Those fire plants near the lift followed by that saw were impossible for me to figure out properly. I can count on one hand the amount of times I successfully navigated them without getting hit. All great fun though, have a star for keeping me up late!

Neki

People seemed to be having trouble finishing my latest level so I updated it to make it much easier, replacing a ring of Big Boos with a single chaser.

WVW69iai4k80V8PvB1

Big Boo's Box of Bewilderment

1CB8-0000-0062-C528

I beat it and I don't know how so lol. The boo chasers did make it easier, I probably would have got really annoyed with boo rings when I was back tracking

MrBadger

World is hard if you compare it to the cakewalk that is the New series. World is easy if you compare it to 1, Lost Levels, or 3.

Eh, the only thing that's especially hard about World is getting used to how it handles. I probably finished with about the same amount of trouble as NSMBU.

BooJoh

I beat it and I don't know how so lol. The boo chasers did make it easier, I probably would have got really annoyed with boo rings when I was back tracking

Yeah I made it to be fairly confusing like the SMW ghost houses, but the way it ended up the player really doesn't know how they got out, but should still end up finishing the level as long as they don't end up in the infinite loop.
The idea is that you need to get out through the pipe with the arrow, but that pipe has to be on the bottom right to serve as an exit.

hpkomic

Neo Member
So I've gone through feedback and updated every stage in my first two worlds. Please give them a try.

1-1 Use the Parakoopas (CC3F-0000-0062-C859)
Use the Parakoopas to bounce your way across some gaps. Sky and cave bonuses can be found.

1-2 Piranha Plant Pop (D932-0000-0062-C8AA)
Avoid the piranha pants that pop out of the pipes. Keep an eye out for two bonus rooms.

1-3 A little help from Yoshi (5581-0000-0062-C90A)
P-Switches and Yoshi! Yoshi will give you a boost, and he’ll catch up with you later on in the level. What a helpful dinosaur!

1-4 Backsy Forthsy Mansion (47C1-0000-0062-C967)
Back and forth in a haunted mansion that puts you just out of reach of places you’ve been prior. Quite a challenging stage! Can you find the hidden door that leads to the back side of the goal?

2-1 Acrobatic Awareness (D7DA-0000-0062-C9D0)
This stage features no enemies beyond a spawn pipe for Koopa Troopas. This map is all about mastering Mario’s moves and physics. It’s much harder than you’d think.

2-2 Mushroom Heights (7D5C-0000-0062-CD58)
I hope you’ve mastered vertical jumps and kicking around Koopa Shells. Tons of hidden lives can be found on this stage.

2-3 Bullet Bill’s Wild Ride (86E8-0000-0062-CDC6)
Watch out for swarms of Bullet Bills as you make your way to the goal. Watch for some hidden paths.

2-4 That Crushing Feeling (C216-0000-0062-Ce35)
Time your traversal through this crushing cavern. Definitely the hardest stage in world two.

I am close to 50 stars, which should let me upload some new stages. I have a SMB3 style ice-cave experience I am excited to post.

BashNasty

Played all your courses.

First one: thematically I really liked it, coin placement was good so there was no leap of faith, only thing I didn't like much was the star placement, doesn't give the player time to react to grab it.

Second one was okay, very short and the bombs ruined my first leaf run because I couldn't get enough speed, also putting the pipe above the end was weird because there is room to jump in it, didn't realize it goes the other direction until the end. The enemy placement on the bottom was a bit haphazard.

Third one was a cool theme, but I think the cape made the level really easy. Otherwise it was a fun airship level.

Would you mind trying out my map? I really want some feedback:

Super Rosalina Galaxy
3EC5-0000-005D-FFED

bITUuTz.jpg

Airship level with a different Bowser boss fight at the end

Thanks a ton for the feedback on my levels, always great to have more perspectives. I totally agree with you that the cape makes Airship Armada too easy, I actually added it in for my roommate (the one who made Squellin' Feelings) because he was having a ton of trouble with the course.

Gave Super Rosalina Galaxy a shot. It's really hard, but not in a bad way. You have plenty of powerups placed in logical locations almost to act as waypoints, which I really like. The spinning flames section is a bit brutal and momentum defying for my liking, but I probably just didn't figure out the optimal way to run it. Starred!

My latest creation!

f1AtLwo.png

Mario finds himself inside an enormous kitchen!

JsRa0HN.jpg

What horrors lurk inside the fridge? Who left these pots on the stove with the burners on? Are there any hidden 1-ups (probably)? Find answers to these questions and more in Kitchen Capers!

octopiggy

I spent ages over-thinking and re-doing it but I finally got it done:

WarioWare, Inc. 2 - BAED-0000-0062-B3BB -

It features:
- A new character in Ashley (there's a hidden block at the beginning if you want to use Wario)
- A new theme in Ghost House which seemed appropriate for Ashley)
- Music comes in and out for micro-games
- I've optimised the music player and incorporated doors as well as pipes meaning I can now do 8 micro-games instead of 5.
- A new victory jingle at the end of the level.

I hope you guys will give it a go. I will try and post a video later.

Added to my selected list of courses

So, this time I focused on teaching a simple gameplay mechanic:
running under Thwomps
. I followed the Nintendo design philosophy to a degree, and I tried to keep the level basic, clean, and somewhat challenging. I put a lot of effort into these aspects this time, so I would really appreciate feedback.

Thwomp Plains
E725-0000-0062-EBB8

I'll be back later to play some more of your guys' levels; they're the only thing saving this game for me. XD

Mistle

WVW69iabsik49hgd_U

Boot Spookin' Baby
I'm pretty happy with this level. Seems to be a bit of a challenge but you shouldn't die more than once or twice. Check it out!
EFE5-0000-0060-854A

WVW69iZo0n0L9I7jKz

In The Air Tonight
A collaboration between myself and my roommate, which turned out surprisingly fun. Not very hard if you've played a lot of Mario.
B6C9-0000-004D-F823

- Previous levels -

Top Bottom