• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Taramoor

Guys, I'll be streaming in about an hour. If you want me to give your stage a try you can add it to the list :) 1 per person for now. I'm streaming a bit before I have to get my butt to work. You can quote this message for the link to the stage list.

Also, while you wait for me to go live at www.twitch.tv/xindicate_gaming you can try my latest stage out :)

Icarus 2-4:
EF3D-0000-005B-B59E

I want to see how someone goes through this level. I either made it too easy or too hard.

This thread moves so fast, holy crap. I have no hope of ever playing a fraction of everyone's levels at this rate. Which is fine by me. :)

I deleted my "Mushroom Salad" level. That whole gimmick about stacking giant enemies and having to throw shells at them? Yeah, turns out one of the sample levels (which obviously I hadn't played yet when I made it) has that very thing. Talk about embarrassing.

I'm now making a scrolling level with a conveyor belt transporting a stationary, invulnerable giant Magikoopa (with a chompers below for immobility and above for invulnerability) and having it turn blocks into things. I fully expect the same concept to be featured in another sample level or something. :D

kiryogi

Banned
This thread moves so fast, holy crap. I have no hope of ever playing a fraction of everyone's levels at this rate. Which is fine by me. :)

I deleted my "Mushroom Salad" level. That whole gimmick about stacking giant enemies and having to throw shells at them? Yeah, turns out one of the sample levels (which obviously I hadn't played yet when I made it) has that very thing. Talk about embarrassing.

I'm now making a scrolling level with a conveyor belt transporting a stationary, invulnerable giant Magikoopa (with a chompers below for immobility and above for invulnerability) and having it turn blocks into things. I fully expect the same concept to be featured in another sample level or something. :D

I've been wondering about that, is the only way to immobilize Magikooopa is to place him on a Chain Chomp post? Or are there other ways? I only happened upon this by acccident, but it was a neat discovery.

correojon

Guys, I'll be streaming in about an hour. If you want me to give your stage a try you can add it to the list :) 1 per person for now. I'm streaming a bit before I have to get my butt to work. You can quote this message for the link to the stage list.

Also, while you wait for me to go live at www.twitch.tv/xindicate_gaming you can try my latest stage out :)

Please play Circular Platforms 3 :)
Circular Platforms 3 said:
2kt9mHc.png

This one hasn´t been out for long and has the best star/play times ratio for the moment. Pllayers seem to be enjoying it a lot and I´ve received very positive feedback. It expands even further on what could be seen in Circular Platforms 2, has alternate paths with different difficulties which will naturally drive the player to where he belongs and expert players will be able to get to a secret treasure room.

Tapion

I'll try the level tomorrow.

Here's my level:

Castle Nightmare(Prepare to die): AEA0-0000-0046-AEC7

Thud

Played through the first group contestants. Here's my feedback.

Yesterday's feedback

Stroll through the Mole Hill

Great consistent stage involving moles. Starts near the ground and makes the user climb the stage up and down. Mushroom straight from the bat and a mole that can't hurt you if you stand still. For experts there are secrets you earn with walljumps, although reaching the warp pipe is a bit hard.

No pitfalls is also very nice. I would like it if you had a few secrets easy to obtain, because it's an amazing stage.

Spring Up!

I hate to work for power ups, but otherwise a fun stage. Could do without the third pitfall. Liking the trampoline themed stage with it seems a bit boring. A few extra secrets would have been nice and maybe a bit more decoration.

Welcome to Retroland 1-1

The giant mushroom is so good, but it also wrecks your stage. It definitely has the fun factor a 1-1 level should have.

New Super Mario World 1-1

The overworld is great, but that giant pitfall in the sublevel is wrecking. The clown koopa tutorial was a nice touch to it :).

Tree of Beginnings

It is not suited as a 1-1 level. I died like 5 times in it lol. The direction is very unclear and there are a couple of brutal enemies in it. Spiked tops on 1 tile blocks, wow. Definitely a shame, because it's an awesome stage. Downloaded it to look at the last secret, dat semi-blind jump!!

Koopa Plateau 1

I really liked the power ups. Buzzer shell on a koopa with a fire flower and a star nice! Gonna retry this one again for more critique.

SMB3 1-1 Redux

Liked the simplicity of this one while still getting the SMB3 feel down. A bit on the short side. SMB3 levels were short, but not that short. Fun little secret. Maybe give the player more space to fly.

Koopa Hill 1-1

Probably the best of the SMW stages. The koopas may be a bit hard on new players, but you're using the pitfalls to get rid of the shells. Kicking the koopas to gain acces to a warp pipe is very smart. I think you could give the player a bit more space to work with. Fine piece of work.

Kuribo's Shoe 1-1

A really cool level concept, but it fails as a 1-1 stage. If you lose the kuribo shoe in the beginning it's over. I like the idea of the narrow space so the goomba jumps up the blocks and you kill him.

Brutal pitfalls. Thwomps and saws are dangerous. The tanuki suit is useless with that last thwomp. And as you know one warp pipe has no exit. I got killed a few times playing this stage. Very neat level tho.

1-1 Difficulty: ★☆☆☆☆

Feels a bit short with a lot of enemies. I like the pipe design with the blocks in the middle. It has a nice SMB3 feeling to it, but not sure if it's 1-1 material. I'll give it another go.

World 1.3 - 1.3

Weird to see SMB in a SMB3 stage hehe. Had to check the door in the editor, nice. Perhaps a bit short, but good enough for a replay.

Super Mario Nexus 1-1

Awful as a 1-1 stage, otherwise a fun level. The first pitfall, enemy placements and all the stuff going on in the screen :p.

Heropon

Underwater tunnel: 9859-0000-0062-24BA

My first underwater level. Nothing too difficult for the veterans here but I hope people enjoy it.

Those bullet bill cannons fill the screen pretty fast, so I had to remove one. Maybe some day I make a bullet hell level but I'd have to finish it before publishing so that doesn't seem likely. I also seem to hate bloopers so much that I only put one. I'd like to know if people playing this actually miss having more of them in a level.

Bydobob

Icarus 2-4:
EF3D-0000-005B-B59E

I want to see how someone goes through this level. I either made it too easy or too hard.

Difficulty is pretty easy with fire Mario as you can take out all those hammer dudes. Without then it gets disproportionately tougher as the areas are pretty hemmed in with not much room to manoeuvre. Lots of crouch slides and even a crouch jump which noobs may not work out, depends what level you're pitching it at?

I take it there's another way to access the top of the flagpole? Came at it from the bottom but thought I could vaguely see an ice platform at the top. Cool if there's another route I missed.

Taramoor

Difficulty is pretty easy with fire Mario as you can take out all those hammer dudes. Without then it gets disproportionately tougher as the areas are pretty hemmed in with not much room to manoeuvre. Lots of crouch slides and even a crouch jump which noobs may not work out, depends what level you're pitching it at?

I take it there's another way to access the top of the flagpole? Came at it from the bottom but thought I could vaguely see an ice platform at the top. Cool if there's another route I missed.

Yeah, I think I need to block off that shortcut through the two sets of Hammer Bros. While I like it for a quick path through it makes it highly likely that people won't see the vast majority of the level.

Also I think I need to put a fire flower in every single room. In addition to making some of the harder areas more manageable it will serve as a way to keep track of rooms you've visited.

I present to you... Bullet Bill Bonaparte!

C054-0000-0062-4B8C

It's a stage based on some (not too difficult) bullet bill jumping across somewhat wide gaps. I hope it's not too hard, and some of the harder jumps in the level can be skipped over by taking the upper path which has its own set of hazards. Hang on to your fire flower if you plan on taking that route!

Neki

I wish there was an easy way to play all the GAF levels without having to manually add the levels, like a GAF playlist

Taramoor

I wish there was an easy way to play all the GAF levels without having to manually add the levels, like a GAF playlist

Well, you can Favorite a maker after viewing just one of their levels, then you can easily go back to view all of their levels. That saves some time. Not all of it, but some.

Just created a level. I'll leave it for you to see the name yourself. Life's more fun with mysteries.

ID: 978A-0000-0062-52F5

I'm not sure if Nintendo frown on this sort of thing, so why not check it out soon in case they remove it?

Z..

Is the game worth buying yet if I don't want to make any levels at all? As in, has the community made enough good levels to justify the purchase yet or is it still mired in "early days" gimmicky/troll levels as is to be expected for games of such nature?

Well, you can Favorite a maker after viewing just one of their levels, then you can easily go back to view all of their levels. That saves some time. Not all of it, but some.
Luckily the game does save who you starred, so I used that to go back and share some levels I liked.

But yeah the game really needs to learn from Youtube in how to find stuff in a large database.

Is the game worth buying yet if I don't want to make any levels at all? As in, has the community made enough good levels to justify the purchase yet or is it still mired in "early days" gimmicky/troll levels as is to be expected for games of such nature?
I would say so, just avoid 100 Mario. You can follow people who made a good level and see what they liked; therefore finding more levels.
Following really does not reward the creator with anything, so it cannot hurt to do it.

Sölf

There are some really insane levels. Pretty much everything you find in this thread is AT LEAST mediocre, but most of the levels are really good and thought out (and everything is miles better than 100 Mario). So, I would say yeah. Even if you don't like building (you have to build a bit at the beginning in order to unlock the main menu though) this game has so much content.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

absolutely. I've left the level creating to my son, and spend all time playing all the superb community levels out there

#parasite

Sölf;179655958 said:
There are some really insane levels. Pretty much everything you find in this thread is AT LEAST mediocre, but most of the levels are really good and thought out (and everything is miles better than 100 Mario). So, I would say yeah. Even if you don't like building (you have to build a bit at the beginning in order to unlock the main menu though) this game has so much content.
Yeah, 10 Mario is boring and 100 Mario is like getting stuck with a bunch of needles. Sometimes one of those needles will have a muscle relaxer, but still you got 15 other needles on you.
I kind of wish they did Mario vs. DK: Tipping Stars with the single player stuff.

RagnarokX

Yeah, the average Mario game grew up with SMW and NSMB, so the difficulty curve is lower than what I grew up with (SMB and SMB3).
Funny thing is I still made NSMB difficulty levels which gets completed by not much stars (maybe they just hate a water level, ha ha).
However ... I got a Miiverse comment praising my puzzle level, so maybe people are just different.

The Contest gave me most stars so far, so glad I entered ... ha ha.
Might throw in some 5 filler levels that tends to get the stars, then get back to serious levels (realizing making a level where you have to spot the differences between main and sublevel is taking quite awhile since the copy function sucks in-between main and sublevel.

The NSMB games are at least as difficult as SMB3; except maybe the portable ones, but even they're not much easier. SMB3 was hard when I was a kid but I played it for the first time in like over a decade as an adult and breezed through it 100% no level skipping/warps.

Sephzilla

The NSMB games are at least as difficult as SMB3; except maybe the portable ones, but even they're not much easier. SMB3 was hard when I was a kid but I played it for the first time in like over a decade as an adult and breezed through it 100% no level skipping/warps.

I'm calling slight BS on this.

Mario 1, 3, and even World are noticeably harder than NSMB. With 3 and World you'll start to really hit the harder levels roughly around world 6 / Choco World. With the "New" games you don't even start to see a glimmer of challenge until World 8 and usually the real stuff is World 9 now. And this isn't me talking from the perspective of nostalgia, I've played all 4 of these within the last 6 months. I'm not intending this to be a slam on the NSMB games, I love them, but they're definitely easier than the ones most of us grew up on.

But hey, I'm just glad they're not revisiting Lost Levels-tier difficulty.

Sölf

I never really played that (a bit on Allstars, but I mostly played SMB 2 and 3 there) and saw a Let's Play recently. Yeah, that's just insane bullshit they pulled there, lol.

J-Fr

Circular Platform levels are always fun!
Even if I found some branching paths a bit confusing, like this one which you can take both ways.
In Circular Platform 1 you can pick up bumpers mid-air ^^'.

Some new levels:

Cheeps' Frozen Cove: FF91-0000-00D7-13A1
Difficulty: Medium

Mario Maker - Bingo Island 1: 0463-0000-008E-1B22
Difficulty: Tutorial
My entry too late for the contest, I wanted to make an "entry level" for 100 Mario Maker.
It should feel like a Nintendo tutorial, guiding you through every traps and bad design decisions you will encounter in 100 Mario Maker. (hence the name Bingo Island.. and there's a few secrets to find!)

RagnarokX

I'm calling slight BS on this.

Mario 1, 3, and even World are noticeably harder than NSMB. With 3 and World you'll start to really hit the harder levels roughly around world 6 / Choco World. With the "New" games you don't even start to see a glimmer of challenge until World 8 and usually the real stuff is World 9 now. And this isn't me talking from the perspective of nostalgia, I've played all 4 of these within the last 6 months. I'm not intending this to be a slam on the NSMB games, I love them, but they're definitely easier than the ones most of us grew up on.

WORLD harder than any other Mario game? World has very few levels that would be considered hard even without the overpowered powerups it has. I replayed it recently, too, and Choco Island was no big challenge. 3's levels are incredibly short, which takes some of the edge off the more difficult levels. The NSMB games are definitely not easier. We're just more skilled.

one_kill

Can anyone give my stages a go? I'm looking for feedback on how I'm doing design wise.

Airship Assault - BCEB-0000-005B-097F
This level features multiple pathways that feature different challenges. Do you choose to get on the clown car and tackle the skies or try your luck on foot? Do you choose to go the path designed for small Mario or the one for Super Mario?

A ghastly build - CA60-0000-005E-BFD5
This level was inspired by the Builder Mario skin. You'll be hitting shells that fly towards question blocks that spawn vines, using bombs to clear the way, hitting P switches to turn coins into platforms, and clearing out thwomps with the help of your trusty helmet.

B_Bech

WORLD harder than any other Mario game? World has very few levels that would be considered hard even without the overpowered powerups it has. 3's levels are incredibly short, which takes some of the edge off the more difficult levels. The NSMB games are definitely not easier. We're just more skilled.

I couldn't agree with this post more. I think child goggles have made Mario 3 and World seem harder than they were. Replaying both games now for inspiration, and I can say they are a cake walk.

Thud

SMB Lost Levels > NSMBU > SMB2 > SMB > SMB3 > SMW

In terms of difficulty. We''ve just become better in mario games and exploring the secrets over the years :).

Blazed through SMB3 a year back, only W8 was challenging lol.

Neoweee

So, I think people inadvertently make their levels too hard, or too long given that there are no checkpoints. I've mostly made some shorter levels in response that would end right about where a checkpoint would normally be.

Some levels:

Under Slight Pressure:
4FBE-0000-004C-0B36

The end is a bit too easy. It needs to be slightly longer and have a difficulty ramp. A short, small Mario platformer level.

No Time to Rest!
F233-0000-004C-EF6E

My best level, IMO, but it starts with kind of a dick move that I should tone down. Another short, small Mario platformer level.

And what will eventually be the first level of a campaign:
1-1 Invasion Plains
9394-0000-005F-589D

It sets up a few themes and gimmicks that I am working on.

Neoweee

Wow my latest stage still only has 3 plays and no wins. Please give it a go and tell me where you're struggling and why. And any feedback in general would be nice.

Stop Giving Me Stars - 45E4-0000-005C-64BB

It's a kind of not godo, repetitive level that suffers from a bunch of synchronization issues with enemies and obstacles spawning out of the intended phase, and is way too long, and is frequently blind as to where you are supposed to go. Nobody will ever want to replay the start so many times to master the later parts.

That is a good level.

Here's my latest levels they're fairly difficult but feel free to leave some feedback.

EYoI6rN.jpg

Kick That Wall
New Code : 5B0B-0000-0062-E93A

IDno6PS.jpg

Super Sprint and Twist
56D6-0000-0059-7378

Bladelaw

Finally got around to playing your level. Way over my head at the moment but it's really well laid out.

Here's a little level recap of what i've got. Would love feedback;

WVW69iaeBaw-3XvUUg

Icy Drivin' (6966-0000-0061-20AA)
A Mario in a Kart level on ice with two ways to the end, with one being secret. I kept it so there was no real danger of falling into the abyss to make it a bit more playful. Pretty simple, but fun. A 'hold dash' level.

WVW69iZJHOsaiqOZhY

Steel Beams (17A9-0000-0041-D66A)
Can you make it through the explosions and debris to the end? Whats in the secret basement? Was it an inside job? Some secret paths in this one too.

WVW69iY9N9EbwiLIK8

100% Completion (BE60-0000-003C-F0B6)
Somehow this doesn't have a completion percentage of 100%. People are crazy.

WVW69iYn2XsyRTqDTY

Highway Star Easy Rider Edition (4772-0000-0032-CFE3)
A fun dash level. Get the star, run fast and jump off the platforms as close to the edge as you can. Gets trippy at the end!

WVW69iYgeLIFrZ5x1T

The Money Pit (D8A4-0000-002E-2876)
Dash head first into the world of money. Jump into the blind to get those coins just under the oppressive spikes of capitalism, but don't lose your nerve or you'll dive into the abyss of financial ruin.

WVW69iYa9C0g4_O-23

Leap of Faith (869D-0000-002B-643A)
Start with a leap of faith by walking off a cliff, then start running and jump at the edge of the platforms to feel like a true badass. Here's a video of it being completed. Still one of my more fun levels when you nail it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6QdWhvw1GY

This is the perfect bed game, just tinkering with levels before I fall asleep is the best.

J-Fr

A ghastly build - CA60-0000-005E-BFD5
This level was inspired by the Builder Mario skin. You'll be hitting shells that fly towards question blocks that spawn vines, using bombs to clear the way, hitting P switches to turn coins into platforms, and clearing out thwomps with the help of your trusty helmet.

It takes too much time to break the walls (you should only need one or two Bob-ombs and one or two Thwomps).
Having the player wait too much between retries is a bit punishing.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It's a kind of not godo, repetitive level that suffers from a bunch of synchronization issues with enemies and obstacles spawning out of the intended phase, and is way too long, and is frequently blind as to where you are supposed to go. Nobody will ever want to replay the start so many times to master the later parts.

That is a good level.
You're pretty much always bouncing on enemies to the right in a linear fassion. Exactly where is it unclear where you're supposed to go?

As for synchronization, I just replayed each segment multiple times with different timing, and I have concluded that only in one dry bones sequence is it possible for different timing to affect anything in a major way. You're going to have to be more specific.

Others, feel free to chime in here.

Playing 100 Mario on Expert is like... such a chore these days.

GAF generally doesn't need this advice since y'all make good levels, but if I see the following I WILL skip your level:

- Killed by something offscreen that I couldn't possibly see or react to? SKIP.
- Killed within 1 second of starting the level because you put enemies right the fuck in front of the spawn? SKIP
- Springs everywhere? SKIP
- Troll block placement? SKIP
- Sound effects on pretty much every block? SKIP
- Gaps where you're likely to fall into a pit because you hit a ceiling so every jump has to be pixel perfect? SKIP
- Countless enemies on screen at a time? SKIP

KooopaKid

Banned
I reworked the puzzles in my 1-2 level. Now I think they are pretty much perfect.

dwz3rfq.jpg

And some feedback :

Here's my latest levels they're fairly difficult but feel free to leave some feedback.

EYoI6rN.jpg

Kick That Wall
B496-0000-0062-251B

Way too difficult. First you have to wait for the correct opportunity with the plant spitting fire before jumping, then wall-jumping on a pipe to land on a red shell in a narrow spot and then a koopa with a spiky shell on it? Really?

Carnivore Hollows

Short and easy, but I like the outcome and the theme. Give it a try.
You can probably outrun the boss or hide in the pits, however, less experienced players may find it difficult. Dunno.

ID: 1CAE-0000-0062-93FD

I finished it on my first try and starred it. Good presentation, quite easy but the difficulty increase steadily. I would close the upper pipes to make sure the player don't need to try to get inside them.

WarioWare, Inc. 2 has just gone live!

WVW69iairv0FQsPY3Y

Course ID - BAED-0000-0062-B3BB

Starred it and finished on my second try. Nice concept, very well executed. I know it's Warioware but the transition are a bit annoying after a while. Excellent idea nonetheless!

My latest is titled Bounce on Big Bob-omb!

WVW69iagrr0dDRz2WY

76F3-0000-0061-F95A

Very good level. Could pass for an official SMB3 level. World 6 like difficulty. Very nice. Starred it!

Sephzilla

WORLD harder than any other Mario game? World has very few levels that would be considered hard even without the overpowered powerups it has. I replayed it recently, too, and Choco Island was no big challenge. 3's levels are incredibly short, which takes some of the edge off the more difficult levels. The NSMB games are definitely not easier. We're just more skilled.

World is hard if you compare it to the cakewalk that is the New series. World is easy if you compare it to 1, Lost Levels, or 3.

Nintenleo

WVW69iaiK64DlvuqPe

Dejà Who? - 68C1-0000-0062-8778

My last creations, another adventure in the skies. There's a recurring theme in terms of gameplay in this stage and this is the reason behind the naming. This and the fact that it's dedicated to a friend o' mine whose nickname is dejawho

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Playing 100 Mario on Expert is like... such a chore these days.

GAF generally doesn't need this advice since y'all make good levels, but if I see the following I WILL skip your level:

- Killed by something offscreen that I couldn't possibly see or react to? SKIP.
- Killed within 1 second of starting the level because you put enemies right the fuck in front of the spawn? SKIP
- Springs everywhere? SKIP
- Troll block placement? SKIP
- Sound effects on pretty much every block? SKIP
- Gaps where you're likely to fall into a pit because you hit a ceiling so every jump has to be pixel perfect? SKIP
- Countless enemies on screen at a time? SKIP

Totally this. I feel like half of 100 Marios is level 'designers' trying to prove they're clever. It's awful. Thank goodness for GAF creators.

I played through Mario World a couple of weekends ago. I legit think Choco Island is harder than Valley of Bowser. Special World is obviously no joke either so you're right in the sense that those parts are pretty hard.

I've always figured SMW's level of challenge was having consistently simple overworld stages only ever taking the gloves off in forts and castles, especially noticeable in Choco Island and Valley of Bowser where the standard stages are just so too easy I suppose for late game yet the castles bring the thunder.
I just finished a replay yesterday and I swear the numbered Valley of Bowser stages are barely even on SMB3 World 5 level.

Special World though, yeah that's quite a jump up in difficulty.

Dimentios

Carnivore Hollows

Short and easy, but I like the outcome and the theme. Give it a try.
You can probably outrun the boss or hide in the pits, however, less experienced players may find it difficult. Dunno.

ID: 1CAE-0000-0062-93FD

Kyzon

Sorry, I was having a hard time trying to figure out how to enter info into the sheet on the mobile (I don't own a computer). I can't figure it out! Oh well! Still fun watching you play levels!!

No worries at all :)

I will play your stage later tonight.

Here's mine. Thanks for trying it out!

Wing Fling.

(A3DD-0000-005A-BF73)

I'll have to try it a little later, but I def will. I was going from the spreadsheet I posted.

Icarus 2-4:
EF3D-0000-005B-B59E

I'll try that one after work. I was looking at the stages posted to the spreadsheet.

I'll get to it after work. I didn't look in the thread while I was streaming.

I'll try the level tomorrow.

Here's my level:

Castle Nightmare(Prepare to die): AEA0-0000-0046-AEC7

I'll check it after work for sure :)

Finally got around to playing your level. Way over my head at the moment but it's really well laid out.

Thank you. You'll get it. Just remember to do what the arrows do :)

Thank you everyone for submitting levels and watching me play them. It has been great. Hopefully I can get that spring level down (if you saw that, lol) I wanna def finish that.

Nessus

I like how the plays you get on your level don't really decline over time.

Over a week later I'm still getting about the same daily average. I imagine that means Nintendo doesn't place much emphasis on how new levels are when it puts them in rotation.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
No worries at all :)

Thank you everyone who watched. I love the GAF stages. I had a ton of fun. Hope to play with more of your levels soon!

Hey thanks for streaming all these stages. Always loved your Mario Maker streams !

Top Bottom