• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Now Allows Consumers To Buy Additional Xbox One Power Supply Units

mocoworm

http://microsoft-news.com/microsoft-now-allows-consumers-to-buy-additional-xbox-one-power-supply-units/

Till now, there was no direct way to buy an extra power brick from Microsoft. Microsoft was aware of the need of the consumers and they have now made it available for purchase online from Xbox site. Major Nelson revealed this info on Reddit today.

Major Nelson said:
Hey gang, I have an update on this. I have worked w/ the Support team and we’ve enabled the option to purchase additional Xbox One power supply units via https://myservice.xbox.com

I have not had a chance to check it out myself yet – but the team just emailed me to let me know they have added that option to the online tool.

Thanks!

Larry

andreyblade

Neo Member
Microsoft right now
t2mt669.jpg

kahi

$50 better than the $100 they charged last gen. Debating it, I do move my console around, I really probably should just buy a second console already. One for living room, one for game room.

kahi

Why was this needed and why is it generous?

(shouldn't it be covered by warranty?)

I move my console between my game room and living room every once in a while. It would save me 5 minutes if I had the power cord already up in the game room situation, instead of having to run the cord each time. #firstworldproblem

Arttemis

These AC adapters are transformers, so even if your console is not hooked up to it, it will be drawing power from the wall to convert to DC.

LiK

hey, good on them for the quick solution. if only Nintendo would do the same with their Gamepads.

Spasm

I've wanted to get an extra one to easily move between rooms, but at $50 ($35 with exchange)... No thanks.

Edit: Not saying the PSU isn't worth $50 outright, just that the convenience isn't.

Some like having a second PSU when they move the console.

And dude, warranty is one year standard? XO has been out 2 years already.
If it's a common thing to fail then they could face a mass lawsuit and should just repair those out of warrantylock. I don't know if it is (a normal thing to fail) I just found it weird. Second power brick to change consoles around is something that I never thought about, I always bought 2 consoles instead, but I guess today with everything being in one console rather than the other that makes a lot of sense.

In Europe it's 2 years of warranty and the thing took a while to get here so I think it hasn't been out for 2 years? but time flies.

I have two for my Xbox 360, one in the living room and the other one in my home office: this makes it easier to move it when I want to play on my PC monitor. I presume many would like to do it as well for moving Xbox One from living room to bedroom/office etc. Fortunately, Xbox to PC streaming saved me from this need: fantastic feature.

(shouldn't it be covered by warranty?)

If you move from a region with 110v to another with 220v (from US to Germany) or from different type of connectors (think UK, Brazil, US, Europe, Japan, China, each use a different one) you'll need a new power brick as they're not bi-volt (you could just replace the power cord or use an adapter for the connector tho)

Izuna

Banned
If you move from a region with 110v to another with 220v (from US to Germany) or from different type of connectors (think UK, Brazil, US, Europe, Japan, China, each use a different one) you'll need a new power brick as they're not bi-volt (you could just replace the power cord or use an adapter for the connector tho)

If you were UK to Japan, you NEEDED to have a step-down converter. These things are heavy and it took me a long time to find one cheap from rakuten. Even then, it was about £30 during a time where Pound Sterling was kicking the shit out of Yen, so...

It was annoying because at that time, there was no way to get an alternative one. There was only one in the market at that time and it was unofficial, cheap looking.

With this, there is no need to buy a whole new Xbox just to save space. In Japan, you don't want a huge bulge coming out of a socket for a big ass console.

If it's a common thing to fail then they could face a mass lawsuit and should just repair those out of warrantylock. I don't know if it is (a normal thing to fail) I just found it weird. Second power brick to change consoles around is something that I never thought about, I always bought 2 consoles instead, but I guess today with everything being in one console rather than the other that makes a lot of sense.

In Europe it's 2 years of warranty and the thing took a while to get here so I think it hasn't been out for 2 years? but time flies.
People lose or break these things more frequently than you would think. I'm asked about them at at least once a week at my store. Things like a power surge will fry em instead of the system if its not in a surge protector

Podge293

i'm considering buying a new one myself.

is it normal that the fan in the power brick is louder than the console itself?

MCD

For those curious, I just took this screenshot in the old thread:

Z0miLrT.jpg

If you want a 220v, use an address like UK. If you want 110v, then US or Japan.

woodypop

I didn't even know this was an issue.

I found a power supply at Goodwill last month for $8. It still has the plastic film on it--virtually brand new. I don't even have the console yet, but I bought it for later down the road.

Wonder why not also offer it via Microsoft Store. Why only through support?

Had two bad power supplies (Louder than the actual console, including being audible on standby) and I had to send the whole box in to get new ones. I'm imagining this is what this is about. The market for people who actually want an extra power supply just for use is probably extremely low.

i'm considering buying a new one myself.

is it normal that the fan in the power brick is louder than the console itself?

I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to be by design, but that's been my experience. MS support will tell you it isn't normal.

Pimpbaa

Well this is good considering MS tells you NOT to plug your xb1 into a surge protector (which is stupid beyond belief). So I guess before if a surge fried you power supply you had to send in your whole system. I still plug mine into a surge protector anyway because there is no way I'm giving my xb1 a power socket all to itself when I have so few near my tv.

Top Bottom