• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida: Gravity Rush 2 for PS4 decision was made "very early" in development

As for Gravity Rush 2, Sony made the decision “very early” to make it a PS4 exclusive. This is largely because it’s an open-world game and “the vision has really large potential in terms of realizing higher performance.”

Yoshida adds:

The team did a really good job to create an open-world game with the first Gravity Rush on a portable, but when we’re able to show more about what Gravity Rush 2, I’m sure people will totally understand why we made it PS4 only.

Heath tried to find out if there might be a Gravity Rush spin-off coming to PS Vita, but Yoshida only replied, “We’re not talking about anything. We just announced Gravity Rush 2.”
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...tally-understand-why-gravity-rush-2-ps4-only/

Lets not make this thread a port beg thread.

Toki767

No issues with this really. As nice as it was on the Vita, more powerful hardware for the game is welcomed.

The announcement trailer of GR2 already looked much better than GR on Vita, so I guess at that point they already decided on going to Ps4.

curb

Banned
I love my Vita but I think this is the right move. Now just get it into my hot, sweaty little hands already along with the remaster.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The team did a really good job to create an open-world game with the first Gravity Rush on a portable, but when we’re able to show more about what Gravity Rush 2, I’m sure people will totally understand why we made it PS4 only.

Of course it had nothing to do with incredibly poor worldwide PS Vita sales, it's always about finding the perfect platform. I applaud the decision to make the new game for the PS4, but I wish there was less PR talk and more honesty.

GR1 was an incredible accomplishment on the Vita, I was surprised when I first learned it was open world. The city was beautifully realized and a lot of fun to explore and traverse.

That said, they can make a much better sequel on PS4 and I wouldn't have it any other way.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Of course it had nothing to do with incredibly poor worldwide PS Vita sales, it's always about finding the perfect platform.

Considering this is a Japanese game I really don't get this argument. Folks in Japan are still buying the Vita (and not the PS4).

Honestly theres a decent argument that the perfect platform just for sales would have still been the Vita and not the PS4, or reducing the scope of the game to have it on both platforms.

But I'm glad its a PS4 title. The difference between GR and GR2 is pretty striking.

Sure that's why they waited so long to show it again and why Toyama said that people will understand the delay when they once they see it after the first footage of the game.

There's no need to lie Yoshida.

Of course it had nothing to do with incredibly poor worldwide PS Vita sales, it's always about finding the perfect platform. I applaud the decision to make the new game for the PS4, but I wish there was less PR talk and more honesty.
Oooor the devs wanted more to work with and a bigger vision for the sequel than the vita could provide? Why does everything have to be so pessimistic.

MrV4ltor

I'm honestly really glad they went this route and that they're doing a remaster of the first one. I'll finally be able to complete it without my hands hurting.

mreddie

tumblr_nm5r0tCz5G1qfmgozo1_400.gif

YESSIR

Wagram

Really torn on if I should play the first Gravity Rush on PS4 or Vita. I have the Vita version in my backlog.

Massa

Oooor the devs wanted more to work with and a bigger vision for the sequel than the vita could provide? Why does everything have to be so pessimistic.

Exactly. They're taking 5 years to make this game, it's not hard to accept they're being far more ambitious than what previous gen allowed.

Kolx

This is better for the future of the franchise. Both on scope and sales-wise and whether we'll have a 3rd installment or not.

Bloodrage

Banned
Very smart, Shu. The first game deserved more than some sequel sent to die on Vita. I love my Vita but it's the truth. The world already looks bigger and better than before on PS4.

khaaan

Considering this is a Japanese game I really don't get this argument. Folks in Japan are still buying the Vita (and not the PS4).

Honestly theres a decent argument that the perfect platform just for sales would have still been the Vita and not the PS4, or reducing the scope of the game to have it on both platforms.

But I'm glad its a PS4 title. The difference between GR and GR2 is pretty striking.

It might be a Japanese game but the scope the game will have is global. It doesn't matter if the Vita is doing okay only in Japan, because they loose out on too many potential sales from the world wide market. I agree that the jump to the PS4 is only going to benefit the franchise, the trailer was amazing. I am however still very frustrated with Sony's abandonment of the Vita. Personally, I also believe that the potential sales were a bigger factor in moving the game over to the PS4.

libregkd

I'm sure the poor performance of the Vita helped the decision but, I mean, the original game started out as a PS3 title before getting moved to the Vita. It wouldn't be a terrible surprise if the devs just wanted to make a console game.

Whatever the reasons, I'm glad for it.

Nerokis

His logic is sound. The PS4 being a much more viable platform than the Vita was a strong consideration, I'm sure, but it also wouldn't have been surprising to see GR come to the PS4 either way.

I imagine they had ambitions for it to be more than a game that only does okay in Japan.

Well to be fair, Gravity Rush 2 was never announced explicitely for Vita, was it ? I mean, I don't remember the first trailer to mention Vita at all.

It might be a Japanese game but the scope the game will have is global. It doesn't matter if the Vita is doing okay only in Japan, because they loose out on too many potential sales from the world wide market. I agree that the jump to the PS4 is only going to benefit the franchise, the trailer was amazing. I am however still very frustrated with Sony's abandonment of the Vita. Personally, I also believe that the potential sales were a bigger factor in moving the game over to the PS4.

You assume that the franchise will be popular in the west -- this is a gamble and is far from certain. It may do alright or even great, if the people who loved the Vita original adopt the shift to PS4 as the platform for Kat and buy then advocate for it. But if Sony just releases it and leaves it to die as it has with other games/franchises, I'm not sure it's a safe bet to think that your "world wide" argument is going to pan out.

Well to be fair, Gravity Rush 2 was never announced explicitely for Vita, was it ? I mean, I don't remember the first trailer to mention Vita at all.

No, I don't think this is a Type-0 fiasco... people who were fans of the first game and have love for their Vita just want it to remain on the platform they own, rather than potentially requiring them to buy a PS4 to get the next game. If it wasn't for Bloodborne forcing my hand and getting me to adopt a PS4 early in the lifecycle, I would share the sentiment I just described, as I would not want to be forced to get a PS4 to play GR2.

If Vita sales were considerably better, maybe Sony would have made a separate scaled down version just for Vita. Clearly there's zero chance of that happening.

Personally I'm happy the franchise isn't going to be left to die. As great as the original was, it's just begging to be fully realized on more powerful hardware without having to be limited in any way to run on the Vita as well.

Producer

From the short trailer we can already see a bigger, more populated world, so they made a good decision. Hopefully they work on the combat and giving us more stuff to do.

daveo42

Banned
Seems pretty much like a No shit, Sherlock kind of statement to me considering how well the Vita has sold WW over it's entire lifetime vs how well the PS4 has been doing.

I'm just glad we are getting the game.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
And Gravity Rush being made for Vita instead of PS3 (like it was originally pitched and prototyped) was because they wanted to support their new platform.

Spiegel

Heath tried to find out if there might be a Gravity Rush spin-off coming to PS Vita, but Yoshida only replied, “We’re not talking about anything. We just announced Gravity Rush 2.”

That's rude, Yoshida.

Is anyone doubting this decision? I adored every minute of Gravity Rush, but the whole time I was just thinking about how much greater it would be on not the Vita.

Draft

"When asked if the decision had anything to do with Vita being a complete sales disaster where every piece of software goes to die, Yoshida smiled while slowly walking backwards, saying nothing."

Top Bottom