• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida: Gravity Rush 2 for PS4 decision was made "very early" in development

MrHoot

As sad as I am and frustrated with sony announcing a platform being "legacy" only after 3 years of exploitation (geez thanks, you deserve a "you tried" gold star sony, you chucklenuts), looking at the trailer it seems like it's going to be grandiose.

Now to see if they're gonna manage to tie up that mess of a story

khaaan

You assume that the franchise will be popular in the west -- this is a gamble and is far from certain. It may do alright or even great, if the people who loved the Vita original adopt the shift to PS4 as the platform for Kat and buy then advocate for it. But if Sony just releases it and leaves it to die as it has with other games/franchises, I'm not sure it's a safe bet to think that your "world wide" argument is going to pan out.

I'm not assuming anything about whether the franchise will be popular. Of course it's a gamble, but it looks like a much better alternative than the Vita. Based on Media Create numbers, the PS4 has sold 1.5 million while the Vita sold 4 million since this June. The PS4 however has been fairly consistently selling more than the Vita. The PS4 also has a total install base of over 20 million. Ignoring the PS4 because Japan isn't so hot on it would be dumb. There's not a Japanese publisher out there that doesn't put out the PS4 version of their game along with the Vita, in some cases like Daganronpa and Sword Art we're seeing Vita titles also getting a PS4 iteration. In some cases (Yoru No Nai Kuni) the publisher is opting to omit releasing the Vita version outside of Japan entirely.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It's already the most unique looking open-world game in development that's been revealed. It's definitely the perfect game to really utilize the system's power.

Seriously what the fuck is up with that? Why is this still not on the NA channels?

I seriously feel like they're completely ignoring it for some reason - the same way we barely saw anything from Until Dawn and other mid-tier games from them. Absolutely shameful.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I seriously feel like they're completely ignoring it for some reason - the same way we barely saw anything from Until Dawn and other mid-tier games from them. Absolutely shameful.

"Not an Uncharted shootbang with a generic white guy, we don't know how to market this".

Squire

Banned

It really is. There's no reason this shouldn't be a showpiece.

"Not an Uncharted shootbang with a generic white guy, we don't know how to market this".

Pretty much. I was hoping they'd learned from their indie push. There's value in mid-tier games.

It was sobering watching GT Time yesterday with all 5 people trying to discuss the Gravity Rush 2 reveal and not a single one of them had played Gravity Rush at all. They said only Ben on the entire staff was hyped and had a frame of reference for it.

I hope they do a bang up job with the the remaster so that people's first experience is at least a little bit impressive the way it was to fans of the original release, which is already years old and a portable game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Yet there's been more focus on random indie titles than Gravity Rush. I'm not saying those titles shouldn't be promoted too but to ignore a title such as this is a mistake and I hope they reconsider.

injurai

Banned
Well to be fair, Gravity Rush 2 was never announced explicitely for Vita, was it ? I mean, I don't remember the first trailer to mention Vita at all.

Gravity Rush originally planned to be a console game. (PS3) but was pushed as a Vita exclusive because the project was timely with the Vita's launch projections.

Alo0oy

Banned
Is there even a point to having a Japanese ps4 exclusive? Unless hardware sales have started picking up significantly there and I haven't heard about it.

Like Yakuza 6?

PS4 will start being self-sufficient in Japan by next year when it hits 3-4 million sales, it's already significantly outperforming the Vita this year.

A year ago I would've been pretty upset by this news. Gravity Rush felt like a quintessential Vita game to me, so to shift the IP elsewhere and ignore the platform it was birthed on is almost like a betrayal. And let's not ignore the fact that the teaser trailer from two years ago was blatantly footage of a Vita game. But the writing has been on the wall for quite some time now, and Sony have stated in no unclear terms that they're done with supporting the Vita via first-party software. In the grand scheme of things, Gravity Rush 2 and the remaster being on the PS4 is a good thing. It illustrates that Sony is serious about this franchise and that they want it to flourish and reach a wider audience. Yeah it sucks that there isn't a handheld port of the sequel to appease the fanbase who were there from the beginning, but being PS4 exclusive ensures that GR2 is going to truly excel and not be held back by any kind of platform parity. I just want the series to be successful commercially, because it's one of the best that Sony have put their name to in recent years and it deserves to continue for many years.

I hope they put Kat in the new Hot Shots Golf game again:

078e69036c1af8b7538d74f033637e8a1346298995_full.jpg

silva1991

Seriously what the fuck is up with that? Why is this still not on the NA channels?

It's really weird considering GR remaster is on PS NA channel. maybe they will reannounce it on PGW first? it's sucks to see some indie games that no one cares about uploaded there in seconds but not this or Persona 5.

Phamit

Considering this is a Japanese game I really don't get this argument. Folks in Japan are still buying the Vita (and not the PS4).

Honestly theres a decent argument that the perfect platform just for sales would have still been the Vita and not the PS4, or reducing the scope of the game to have it on both platforms.

But I'm glad its a PS4 title. The difference between GR and GR2 is pretty striking.

They sold more PS4s in Japan than Vitas this year

MrHoot

It's not saying much the ps4 sold more. But on the other hand the vita overall sells more than wii u and have been doing as such for a while.

I fully understand why GR2 is moving to ps4 but let's not excuse sony here like they made the "wise" choice. They were the ones who burried their own platform barely 2-3 years after release after all through inaction

It's not saying much the ps4 sold more. But on the other hand the vita overall sells more than wii u and have been doing as such for a while.

I fully understand why GR2 is moving to ps4 but let's not excuse sony here like they made the "wise" choice. They were the ones who burried their own platform barely 2-3 years after release after all through inaction

Only in Japan.

Hexa

Nah. Sony did the best they could do other than memory cards and vitatv. The market just sort of died and losing monster hunter was brutal for what was left.

MrHoot

Nah. Sony did the best they could do other than memory cards and vitatv. The market just sort of died and losing monster hunter was brutal for what was left.

If that was their "best" i'm not impressed :p They barely did anything did anything with the memcards and vita tv was a weak-ass bandaid on a much larger problem that they were shying away from (which is, understanding what software handheld players wanted and actually MAKING them. Nintendo got that for the 3ds which was in the same situation. Sony kinda sat there and basically went "LOL LEGACY" on the third year after too few attempts which were basically ignored by SCEA). Honestly, i'm always miffed to see people being all surprised as to why vita adopters are still at least slightly pissed off at sony, considering how badly they treated they consumers. The console was released about 3 years and a half ago, yet it was already considered halfway into that.

I'm not gonna continue here tho, not the thread and don't want to derail further

On topic tho: I wonder what the reception of GR HD and GR2 will be tho for people who never touched the vita and are hyping it up. I loved the game but it was messy as all hell with an uncomprehensible story and pretty meh characters apart from Kat herself. And the mechanics left a bit to be desired in some places. I'm afraid of a slight backlash from new adopters of the license

If that was their "best" i'm not impressed :p They barely did anything did anything with the memcards and vita tv was a weak-ass bandaid on a much larger problem that they were shying away from (which is, understanding what software handheld players wanted and actually MAKING them. Nintendo got that for the 3ds which was in the same situation. Sony kinda sat there and basically went "LOL LEGACY" on the third year after too few attempts which were basically ignored by SCEA)

I'm not gonna continue here tho, not the thread and don't want to derail further

On topic tho: I wonder what the reception of GR HD and GR2 will be tho for people who never touched the vita and are hyping it up. I loved the game but it was messy as all hell with an uncomprehensible story and pretty meh characters apart from Kat herself. And the mechanics left a bit to be desired in some places. I'm afraid of a slight backlash from new adopters of the license

The problem was never 'not making the sort of games handheld players want' it was always 'Sony cannot make the same types of games as Nintendo, instead they must make some unspecified different handheld game' at work.

Despite having a history of nintendo miniaturizing their console franchise for handhelds, Sony was endlessly bashed when they tried that.

The right decision, why compromise the creator vision just to please a couple of VITA hardcore fans and end up selling not very much.

Alo0oy

Banned
But the Vita is dead, that's not an accomplishment lol.

I never said it was, I only said that the PS4 will be self-sufficient by the end of next year, and just because the game is on PS4 doesn't guarantee a western release, Yakuza & God Eater are good examples, as well as other more niche games.

I'd love for every PS4 Japanese game to release outside of Japan, but people are setting themselves up for disappointment if they expect that.

It's probably for the best, at this point I think PS4 needs exclusives more than the Vita. This game won't sell Vitas to people.

The colors look so much better in the sequel. This gen has really embraced color palettes more...I love it.

I love it. It must be a reaction by developers after all the grays and browns of last gen.

Alo0oy

Banned
It's probably for the best, at this point I think PS4 needs exclusives more than the Vita. This game won't sell Vitas to people.

I love it. It must be a reaction by developers after all the grays and browns of last gen.

I don't think it's a reaction, other than last gen's Killzone games, Sony's first party studios always made colorful games.

sn00zer

Good, i like Gravity Rush, but it was one of the few Vita games that felt hampered rather than helped by the Vita. On the other side of the coin Tearaway used the Vita hardware marvelously.

So GR2 moving to PS4 is only a good thing. And if they didnt do such a fantastic job with Tearaway PS4 I wouldve said Tearaway PS4 was a bad move, but they did a ton of work to get a similar experience and nothing was lost. PS4 will only help Gravity Rush

Gravity Rush 1 wasn't a big seller on the Vita (43k at launch in Japan compared to 6 digit figures for stuff like P4G and Freedom Wars). Not only that, but you could tell the Vita was struggling to play the original game what with the sub-native resolution & the long load times for challenges. With the original teaser video not specifying a platform, it was pretty obvious that Gravity Rush 2 wasn't happening on Vita - the sales weren't there and the technology wasn't there either.

But the whole world of gravity rush is one big floating city, why build smaller isolated floating apartment? It sure hard to get down to the main town,
Unless you are Kat.

Premium housing for the higher classes, it's removed from the lower classes, safer, and easily reached if you have the means and the money.

dan2026

Gravity Rush was a poor fit for the Vita.

Hopefully GR1 HD and GR2 will be a new birth for the series.

It feels like the quirky cool Sony games of old that we dont get anymore.
It would be a shame if the franchise sank to the bottom of the ocean with the Vita.

Not only that, but you could tell the Vita was struggling to play the original game what with the sub-native resolution & the long load times for challenges.

Wut. I usually throw a huge shitfit over games not running at native res on Vita but I'm enjoying Gravity Rush. Looked more like a serious lack of antialiasing, not sub-native resolution to me.
Also I have not experienced any performance issues at all.

Thanks, now when I go back to play it I'll vomit all over my Vita.

But the game is good fun. I hope the sequel does well, but there's no way I'm gonna buy it at full price at launch.

Top Bottom