• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K16- Review Thread

Loakum

Banned
pPVbD8h.jpg

jmizzal

Yea if you dont want to see or hear the bad story mode, you can just skip it no reason to miss out on the game because of a few skip-able cut scenes

I really love the fact that you can play HS and college before going into the NBA

My only issue is they need to hurry up and fix Pro AM mode

Flandy

I've never played a basketball game in my life but I managed to snag a cheap copy of this during the steam price error. Should I keep it or will I be completely overwhelmed? :lol

2 questions:

- why is it Rubbish? What standard is it being held to? So far it looks like GTAV type scenes... which look great to me.

- Aren't there tutorial "videos", showing you the controls? This sounds great for when I want to sit down with a group of guys and want something to tell everyone the controls at once.
It is garbage because it is a waste of time and should be a separate mode. You have to suffer through multiple games and cutscenes that you can at least skip. But you can't upgrade your player til your 2nd nba season or even look at basic things like league stats until that 2nd season. Also the writing and dialogue for the few cutscenes I didn't skip is atrocious. Mycareer used to be about you now it's about frequency vibrations, ugh.

At least give people the option to skip the story and go straight to that 2nd season. Other than the livin da dream it is the best basketball game yet and one of my favorite sports games ever.

@Flandy: You will be more than overwhelmed. Its the most realistic and most difficult bball sim ever made imo and because there are no tutorials for controls etc. its not noob friendly.

But...there are lots of really well made tutorials on youtube etc. so if you are willing to pratice you can still get into it.

Jtrizzy

So does the PC version have the updated lighting this year? Is there a difference between PS4/XB1/PC? I had planned to skip this and madden, but both have turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

So does the PC version have the updated lighting this year? Is there a difference between PS4/XB1/PC? I had planned to skip this and madden, but both have turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

I can only compare PC 2k16 vs PS4 2k15

Lighting on PS4 doesnt look better.

Get this game on PC, especially if offline play is important to you. AI, post play, in game interviews, team specific sets....1000 new animations. It's more than just a roster update this year.

Cirruss

2 questions:

- why is it Rubbish? What standard is it being held to? So far it looks like GTAV type scenes... which look great to me.

- Aren't there tutorial "videos", showing you the controls? This sounds great for when I want to sit down with a group of guys and want something to tell everyone the controls at once.

I think some of the others have already answered this but I'll add in to why I dislike it.

One reason being if you want to make another MyPlayer you have to go through it again, and none of the games you play during it actually matter as you can't upgrade or do anything until the end of the story and the start of the second season.

Second reason being the story just not being very integrated into the game very well.

It's like watching a movie and then every so often part way through you stop and play a random game of basketball. It doesn't even matter how you perform in the games since the games aren't referenced in the movies at all.

I really enjoyed Fight Night Champion's story mode how the story of the character was related to the actual fights you did, compared to that, the story in this game is disjointed and out of place. I know it was a lot easier for FNC to make a story since it was just 1v1 and its simpler to build a story around the characters there but I still feel it is possible to make a good story mode for basketball game too.

In my opinion it would have made more sense for them to create 2 fictional basketball teams, have some rivalry or storyline between the two that your character can be part of culminating in a match in the grand final. This way they could keep the story separate from the main MyPlayer mode aswell.

Ultralow

Banned
Ok after playing since early tip off game gets a 9/10 from net code is verygood for a 2k game i Can't believe it.._.Splke lee joint is good also..__.

So "A Spike Lee Joint" is a story mode.
I was like the heck is a Spike Lee joint supposed to mean?

I know they've been attaching celebrities to the games for a while now, but I haven't gotten 2k in a few years so I wasn't sure what they brought to the table.

cripterion

Where is it broken? i own the Steam version.

Is there another version than the Steam one on pc?
My replays/highlights are totally broken, either not showing the correct action, just the players reacting to it or players constantly inbounding the ball or they are stuttery as hell although they run at 75+ fps. And so on and on.

Other people have crashes, disappearing audio and they are fucking aware of it yet they decided to ship it like that.

And I tried everything mind you, disabling SLI, G-Sync, capping framerate, through Nvidia control panel, inspector or the game, different resolutions, etc...
Why the fuck this game isn't properly tested and doesn't support the latest tech? Fifa 16 came out just days before and it's fucking flawless.

VoxPop

The Spike Lee story is absolute rubbish, and there are no tutorials or anything to teach a new player how to play, but apart from that the rest of the content is really good.

The training stuff is buried in the Features/Options section now

Vard

Anyone know if you can do local/couch co-op against online opponents? It seemed that was missing from 2K15 for some reason.

Z3M0G

It is garbage because it is a waste of time and should be a separate mode. You have to suffer through multiple games and cutscenes that you can at least skip. But you can't upgrade your player til your 2nd nba season or even look at basic things like league stats until that 2nd season. Also the writing and dialogue for the few cutscenes I didn't skip is atrocious. Mycareer used to be about you now it's about frequency vibrations, ugh.

At least give people the option to skip the story and go straight to that 2nd season. Other than the livin da dream it is the best basketball game yet and one of my favorite sports games ever.

Wait what? How much playtime is this? How many games? Why would they lock you out from upgrading for an entire season? I doubt I'd even make it through a full season.... that would be "finishing the game" to me...

Tubobutts

Wait what? How much playtime is this? How many games? Why would they lock you out from upgrading for an entire season? I doubt I'd even make it through a full season.... that would be "finishing the game" to me...

You only play eight NBA games in your first season.

RS4-

4 HS, 4 college and 8 rookie games. Then FA + actual season. It's really dumb, I just skipped as much as I could. Hell, I couldn't even find a way to skip the draft, so I did some chores and came back drafted by the raps.

Z3M0G

4 HS, 4 college and 8 rookie games. Then FA + actual season. It's really dumb, I just skipped as much as I could. Hell, I couldn't even find a way to skip the draft, so I did some chores and came back drafted by the raps.

How long would the actual season be?

It feels like we're talking about 20+ hours of gameplay time... which I find absolutely insane.

Isn't this the main mode that people spend VC on? Or am I way off on that?

Dude is wrong, you don't have to wait until the second season to start upgrading.

DryvBy

What if the AI is good? (which it is)

AI is one thing but the worst thing I've experienced in the 2K games has been online. 2K14 is the only game I've sold this gen because the HORRIBLE online. The AI quit working online too. I've never seen so many missed passes or kick-ball moves in my life.

RS4-

How long would the actual season be?

It feels like we're talking about 20+ hours of gameplay time... which I find absolutely insane.

Isn't this the main mode that people spend VC on? Or am I way off on that?

HS games are 2 min quarters, College is 6 min halves.

Your rookie/NBA games, you can change the quarter length in settings. So game time depends on what you choose.

You can upgrade your player, even in HS I think...as long as you have VC. But you don't earn VC in career until you get drafted. So get VC by other means if you want to upgrade pre-NBA.

Ultralow

Banned
no you cant upgrade your play until you get drafted......you are a beast in HS and college....once you turn pro you get payed.....to upgrade your player cant get payed in HS or College...im 78rateing in my 4th game...Bad info in here..plus after your rookie yr the mode opens up the story is over and you start YOUR rise to the top...just get pass your rookie year

ViciousDS

Banned
no you cant upgrade your play until you get drafted......you are a beast in HS and college....once you turn pro you get payed.....to upgrade your player cant get payed in HS or College...im 78rateing in my 4th game...Bad info in here..plus after your rookie yr the mode opens up the story is over and you start YOUR rise to the top...just get pass your rookie year

not everyone has access to the 10k VC if they go out now and buy it. Also 78? My dude is 69 after the 10k and 4-5 games in the second season with roughly 700-800 VC per game despite minutes limits.

Also you do not get badges until after your rookie season....which is why those 8 games outside some very minor VC are really not worth it..........because there are scenes 10+ minutes long that are just utter shit. I say bomb first season as fast as you can and just start up in year 2 when you get 82 games, workouts, connections and endorsement opportunities.

Coolade

Where is it broken? i own the Steam version.

If your opponent decides to quit on you in an online match in the PC version, you're credited with a loss. I contacted support and they were aware of the issue and said they can't fix it (meaning the devs never tried and don't care because it's PC.) So if you care about online don't get the PC version as I mistakenly did, stick to consoles. Otherwise so far the game seems fine in all other aspects with my 5 hours of playtime.

Ultralow

Banned
It does not matter how much it cost to upgrade the simple fact is you CAN .....people said you cant i simple said thats false....I dont care about the story again (FACTS ONLY) after your rookie year it goes back to normal mode of myplayer..........

CD'S BAR

Having played the game a fair bit over the course of a week or so, my attitude has turned from kind of disappointed to very satisfied. I haven't played the mycareer stuff - never do - but just based off local and online multiplayer I think this is the best installment yet. The only complaint I have so far is the bloat cutscenes they added at halftime.

But I think the 8s and 9s the game is getting in reviews are well deserved overall.

Top Bottom