• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

gossi

By the way, pro-tip - swap to Evie when you get to London free roam (menu button - right stick). She's much more fun to play, and a better character overall. Stealthy stealth stealth.

Impulsor

REading you guys I kinda feel the Game got worse reviews for two reasons:

1. Series fatigue

2. Lower scores because of Unity fiasco. maybe?

Since you guys are enjoying it so much. Not that I care about the scores that much but it kinda feels unfair, reading you guys.

Skux

REading you guys I kinda feel the Game got worse reviews for two reasons:

1. Series fatigue

2. Lower scores because of Unity fiasco. maybe?

Since you guys are enjoying it so much. Not that I care about the scores that much but it kinda feels unfair, reading you guys.

In sport there's a saying, "You're only as good as your last game".

Of course people are going to judge Syndicate relative to the other games, and especially relative to Unity. These games don't exist in a vacuum. People want to know if there's something new compared to the other games, or if Ubi did a better job on performance and bugs, and it's up to reviewers to deliver that information.

I hate how we can't disable the ring without disabling every "conflict" HUD.

And there's no option to turn off the enemy highlight when you fight them. The only way to get rid of it is to disable all the HUD.

Impulsor

In sport there's a saying, "You're only as good as your last game".

Of course people are going to judge Syndicate relative to the other games, and especially relative to Unity. These games don't exist in a vacuum. People want to know if there's something new compared to the other games, or if Ubi did a better job on performance and bugs, and it's up to reviewers to deliver that information.

Totally understandable. Just that reading you guys, it seems like the game could have had a better reception if Ubi had not released Unity , for example.

I don't know though, it's just an impression. Inj any case, I'll be getting it.

level1

Totally understandable. Just that reading you guys, it seems like the game could have had a better reception if Ubi had not released Unity , for example.

I don't know though, it's just an impression. Inj any case, I'll be getting it.

That's the feeling I get too..if Unity hadn't been released, this would probably have a meta score in the mid to high 80s

MacBosse

Well I took the plunge. Been playing for about two hours and initial reaction is way way better than Unity. The controls are tighter, the graphics are great, haven't seen any bugs, had an moment of bad framerate close to a crowd but otherwise smooth. Oh and I really dig the time period and setting, somewhat makes me think about the guards in the Thief series with all the cool english chatter and whatnot.

Yeah so far so good. Will post more impressions when I have more hours under my belt.

Rudiano

Banned
Just received this bad boy out of nowhere :)

y9c1U6o.jpg

*watching some early footage as one of characters runs up to a guard, kicks him to the ground, stabs him in the throat, all with a little kid nearby, who runs off screaming*

...Well, childhood trauma builds character.

Impulsor

*watching some early footage as one of characters runs up to a guard, kicks him to the ground, stabs him in the throat, all with a little kid nearby, who runs off screaming*

...Well, childhood trauma builds character.

That child will be the next Templar bad guy in the next game, wait and see.

SpotAnime

PC version please be good... PC version please be good...

I'm waiting for the 19th for this...

PC version please be good...

G_Berry

Banned
The only problem I have with this game so far is that it's brightness setting is just too blown out. You can see it at the main menu.

If I drop it down a level it's too dark! Does this not get tested ffs?

Dr Dogg

May as well post this here. Anyone who has a copy could you confirm the bellow at all please. This was from the Season Pass leaflet inside a UK standard copy. Cheers

So speaking about Uplay earlier low and behold my brother inlaw sends me a message (which was rather odd see as I mentioned him previously) about Syndicate's season pass. More over the Jack The Ripper pack and what the leaflet inside the console game says, and I quote 'Scotland yard has called on Evie to stop Jack's bloodthirsty madness. Delve into the dart side of London and discover the link between Assassin's order and Jack'. Neither of us can recall Evie being mentioned as the protag of the DLC and seeing as Jack the Ripper is about 20 years after the base game is set we're guessing she'll be a little older and wiser now. Can't see anyone who's uploaded a pic of it to the internet and the bugger hasn't responded to me asking him to send me proof. If anyone wants to check or can confirm that's word for word might be of some interest to folks here (ha!)

Played a little more and to be honest the city feels like good downgrade from Paris, the geometry, the details and how it looks in general, to me is like something between Black Flag (on the current gen) and Unity, need to see more but is my first reaction.

Evie and Henry Green are awesome, Jacob is a douche. Navigation feels way better than Unity, more responsive and fast.

For those who have played this and Unity, did they fix the garbage combat system from Unity? I swear it felt like I was fighting in molasses the entire game. The previous system may have been easy mode, but at least it didnt control like trash.

Been watching a few streams. AI are as dumb and awkward as ever. Definitely looks like an improvement over Unity though. Love the setting and the world looks as detailed and alive as Ubisoft's worlds always do in these games.

I think I'll pick this one up when it drops to ~ £25.

ogbg

For those who have played this and Unity, did they fix the garbage combat system from Unity? I swear it felt like I was fighting in molasses the entire game. The previous system may have been easy mode, but at least it didnt control like trash.

It's kind of different actually. Attacks are faster, counters are less tied to animation priority, and you get a dedicated bullet dodge counter which is prompted by a big triangle above your head. I'm assuming you can turn off the blatant prompts but I haven't tried.

I should add it's also a fair bit easier. But most of the difficulty in Unity's combat came from the bullshit gun attacks which you couldn't avoid.

IISANDERII

nVoSgs1.png

Yikes. If Unify was similar, no wonder I couldn't stand it. Couple hours in and I was already doing boring filler missions, trying to level up or whatever.

It's kind of different actually. Attacks are faster, counters are less tied to animation priority, and you get a dedicated bullet dodge counter which is prompted by a big triangle above your head. I'm assuming you can turn off the blatant prompts but I haven't tried.

I should add it's also a fair bit easier. But most of the difficulty in Unity's combat came from the bullshit gun attacks which you couldn't avoid.

You could avoid gun shots, you had to be aware if them though.

graywolf323

is Dickens & Darwin not live yet on PSN? I got the code for it from pre-ordering on Amazon but I get the following error when I try to redeem it

"The Prepaid Card code you entered is incorrect or is no longer valid"

edit: it's live now :)

Questions for those who have played the game :

Take note the last AC game I played was Black Flag on 360, so I havnt played Unity or Rogue.

1 - How are the graphics in this game compared to current gen Unity/Black Flag? I know its not as good as Unity last year so how does it hold up to other games released this year? is it as good as Arkham Knight?

2. How is the fighting? - The videos I've seen make the fighting look really fast, doesnt animate so well and just very janky ... Does it feel better to play at least?

3. How does character switching work? and are you penalised for not using one character over the other? ... I usually play males in my game given the choice, but Evie looks more fun to me but if I constantly play as Evie i'm worried Jacob will be weakened

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Take note the last AC game I played was Black Flag on 360, so I havnt played Unity or Rogue.

1 - How are the graphics in this game compared to current gen Unity/Black Flag? I know its not as good as Unity last year so how does it hold up to other games released this year? is it as good as Arkham Knight?

2. How is the fighting? - The videos I've seen make the fighting look really fast, doesnt animate so well and just very janky ... Does it feel better to play at least?

3. How does character switching work? and are you penalised for not using one character over the other? ... I usually play males in my game given the choice, but Evie looks more fun to me but if I constantly play as Evie i'm worried Jacob will be weakened

1- Have skipped Unity, but this looks better than Black Flag. It's pretty damn gorgeous in spots. Haven't seen the whole city yet but it's a very good looking game. No visual glitches either so far.

2. Fighting is like it always been. Easy. I don't think it animates badly though. Shit tons of contextual animations depending on where you are fighting. Good stuff.

3. Both characters share XP and gear. Use Evie and Jacob also gets XP. And vice versa.

ogbg

1. It's been a while since I played Black Flag but it's a different style anyway so hard to compare. Looks noticeably worse than Unity but with the right combination of weather and time-of-day it can still look really nice, with the added benefit of dynamic time of day. Face models and face animation are worse too.

2. I've quite enjoyed the fighting. It is faster than Unity but it feels more responsive. It's also more fun but incredibly easy so far (I'm like level 4).

3. You can switch whenever you want outside of a mission by Options (PS4), then R3. Whichever character you are with when you start a side mission is used for that mission. Main story missions are marked as either one or the other. You can select the mission with either characters but it will auto switch you when the mission starts. Other main sequence missions which aren't marked seem to vary between being forced or going with the character that you were with when you started but I'm not totally sure yet. XP gained while in one character applies to both by the way so no need to worry about missing out on levelling.

Top Bottom