• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

Sojgat

I'm not sure. The turorial is pretty bare-bones, the game definately auto-assumes you've played an AC game before and are familiar with many of its narrative and gameplay concepts.

And I'm back on board.

Ok, off to get it. EB offer 7 day returns if I don't like it, I really like the London setting and the game's performance seems good this time.

If EB means you're in Australia, Target has the special edition for $68. Get them to price match.

SJRB

Gold Member
You had me at bare-bones tutorial.

It's the polar opposite of the 5-hour tutorial of ACIII, that's for sure.

Of course, the game obviously still introduces mechanics gradually, but it throws you right in instead of carefully setting up, like, you know.. a plot and stuff.

FYI for those recently deciding to get the game, go to the main AC website and register for the Join the Family rewards site. A few minutes of clicking links should earn you enough credits for the majority of the DLC packs, and there are a lot of them. Lots of outfits and gear for very little effort.

I have been participating since the beginning and had enough to get a Rooks shirt back before they went out of stock. I'll be wearing that along with my Ezio hoodie when I go pick up the game tomorrow. Yeah, I am a giant AC nerd.

Every time I try and log in I get "Login Error!" even after changing my password.

1. Does the 10 Dreadful Crimes stuff come with every PS4 version, regardless of edition?
2. Is the Dickens & Darwin conspiracy stuff significant? Too late to preorder the standard edition :(

CrovaxPSO

1. Does the 10 Dreadful Crimes stuff come with every PS4 version, regardless of edition?
2. Is the Dickens & Darwin conspiracy stuff significant? Too late to preorder the standard edition :(

The Dreadful Crimes DLC is available on the PS store for free here.

I think the pre-order DLC is included in all copies of the "limited edition" which is just the first print run, so even if you didn't pre-order you should be able to find a copy that has it without much problem, but I could be wrong.

I was paying very little attention to this but Gameinformer's review piqued my interest. The Brotherhood comparisons made me do a double take

Any fans of ACII and Brotherhood currently enjoying Syndicate? Are they comparable?

level1

I was paying very little attention to this but Gameinformer's review piqued my interest. The Brotherhood comparisons made me do a double take

Any fans of ACII and Brotherhood currently enjoying Syndicate? Are they comparable?

I thought both ACII and Brotherhood were mediocre to be honest, but I'm really liking this. Make of that what you will.

SJRB

Gold Member

I'm a HUGE fan of ACII, and Brotherhood as well. I'm about 3 hours into Syndicate so it's too early to tell. I just unlocked the gang stuff but it's impossible to tell if it's comparable to Brotherhood [ACII has no gang mechanics].

Yoday

Currently listening to the soundtrack, and it is quite nice. It is a much more subdued score than past games. There are also a number of folk songs, which is pretty neat.

So got home with the game, installed it plus the updates and played perhaps 30mins of it. I was enjoying it until you were given control over the character. It just feels so clunky and slow. I was expecting better controls but honestly it felt really bad and the camera sensitivity on default feels like you're moving a truck, so I upped it to the max and it still didn't feel right.

The movement wasn't great as well and I don't like how there's no jump button, but instead you just hold down the R2 button and he jumps automatically off ledges, etc.

Combat was just bash a single button and he'll pull of some combos. Just the one button to fight hand to hand?

So I've uninstalled it and it'll be going back for a refund tomorrow morning.

This was my first taste of assassin's creed but it's not the game for me. Main complaints stated above.

Osahi

Important question****
is there any supernatural stuff in the game?

Yes. It is an AC with the usual structure so the mcguffin is a precursor artefact
which the final boss uses during the fight

99% of the game is without it though, unless you count eagle vision as supernatural

It's the polar opposite of the 5-hour tutorial of ACIII, that's for sure.

Of course, the game obviously still introduces mechanics gradually, but it throws you right in instead of carefully setting up, like, you know.. a plot and stuff.

Boy that's a relief. It felt like the majority of Ass Creed 3 was a freakin tutorial.

2 missions in and i've been told to 'forget Crawley', I think i'm going to like this game, i've been trying to forget Crawley all my life!

Bollocks

Am I the only one who thinks that the game world looks very PS3 like? Minus the shader effects of course.
I mean it is a testament to how good the series looked last gen but polycount wise I don't see that much of a jump?

I thought both ACII and Brotherhood were mediocre to be honest, but I'm really liking this. Make of that what you will.
I'm a HUGE fan of ACII, and Brotherhood as well. I'm about 3 hours into Syndicate so it's too early to tell. I just unlocked the gang stuff but it's impossible to tell if it's comparable to Brotherhood [ACII has no gang mechanics].
thanks for answers, I suppose the games only been out a few hours lol

I guess I was thinking in terms of stuff like taking over the city. Knocking out Borgia towers was really satisfying and gave a nice sense of progression

Radec

Got the game!

SPjOWsu.jpg

$55 for:
-game with a pretty cool box
-steelbook
-art book
-cd OST
-map
-shirt
-some dlcs

Yahsper

So got home with the game, installed it plus the updates and played perhaps 30mins of it. I was enjoying it until you were given control over the character. It just feels so clunky and slow. I was expecting better controls but honestly it felt really bad and the camera sensitivity on default feels like you're moving a truck, so I upped it to the max and it still didn't feel right.

The movement wasn't great as well and I don't like how there's no jump button, but instead you just hold down the R2 button and he jumps automatically off ledges, etc.

Combat was just bash a single button and he'll pull of some combos. Just the one button to fight hand to hand?

This was my first taste of assassin's creed but it's not the game for me. Main complaints stated above.

You were literally playing the game wrong. R2 is the run button. You have two buttons for jumping. You hold one to go upwards, and you hold the other one if you want to go downwards while freerunning.

And if you played half an hour longer, you would get a gun that let's you scale buildings and open spaces like in the Batman Arkham trilogy, making movement quite fluid.

Combat uses all buttons. You only used the punch button. You have a grab-button, a counter-button and you can use your items. As the game progresses, new combos and possibilities open up. Progress further into the game, and you can call up your gang members to fight for you and make use of the distraction to do some assassinating.

It's okay to dislike the game, but you may be a bit hasty with your reasons why there.

Bullitus

Might need to be more specific? You're assassinating people in specific missions the entire game.

In the quicklook Alex said that it was the first time the game did anything like that with the assassinations. It's at the end of the quicklook and it's the one where you
take a cadaver's place and assassinate the crazy old doctor
. That mission made the game seem more like a Hitman game.

Played the first Sequence at the Launch party tonight. Was very impressed by the changes in the Combat system, and the ease of the free-running.

Definitely seems to be back on the right track.

level1

thanks for answers, I suppose the games only been out a few hours lol

I guess I was thinking in terms of stuff like taking over the city. Knocking out Borgia towers was really satisfying and gave a nice sense of progression

I've had it since wednesday and managed to play about 8 hours (halfway through sequence 5 at the moment). Unless it manages to totally shit itself late in the game, it's my favourite in the series by far.

Game is way, way better than I was expecting so far. It controls pretty nicely and the characters are fun, if a bit flat and simple. It also looks very nice, too - not as gorgeous as Unity's faked GI, but I think I prefer the less gorgeous but more varied dynamic lighting in Syndicate. Framerate is a bit dodgy, but nowhere near as bad as Unity's. So far there seems to be a good variety of missions. Glad I pulled the trigger on this I suppose. Maybe it'll all fall apart later but it's alright so far. Some stray observations:

-If you would have told me a month ago driving a carriage like a car in GTA would actually work I would have laughed in your face. It totally does, though.

-The soundtrack is... really annoying? Really good? I'm very hot/cold on it so far. I'm impressed they pulled the relatively bold move of letting Wintory just use a string quartet essentially (in a series previously defined by loud Hollywood score and Kyd's classical/rock mix) but sometimes it gets super grating. Some of the themes are lovely, sometimes I want to reach through the screen and strangle a violinist.

-Maybe it'll even out a bit as the characters get fleshed out, but the "brother dumb, sister smart" thing is a tad on the nose so far.

-Combat is fun! Melee is anyway. Fairly brainless but looks way better than it has in previous games. It won't win anyone over but it's an improvement. Except...

-...Christ Evie's finishers take f o r e v e r

-the modern day stuff is just as fucking bad as ever but they at least acknowledge in-universe that you want to get back to your game probably. Bad but mercifully short so far.

-Climbing can be a bit confusing now that they can climb stuff that doesn't look obviously scalable. Sometimes they'll just fwooooop up some bricks I had no idea I could climb.

-Chases are still bad

anyway yeah. Seems solid so far.

Yoday

Am I the only one who thinks that the game world looks very PS3 like? Minus the shader effects of course.
I mean it is a testament to how good the series looked last gen but polycount wise I don't see that much of a jump?
Your memory is playing tricks on you. Seriously, go back to one of the older games after playing this or Unity and you'll be shocked at how much smaller and simple everything is. This is one of the problems that the AC series faces. Most people don't tend to go back to the older games, so their nostalgic memory of them colors how they view new entries in the series.

Impulsor

Game is way, way better than I was expecting so far. It controls pretty nicely and the characters are fun, if a bit flat and simple. It also looks very nice, too - not as gorgeous as Unity's faked GI, but I think I prefer the less gorgeous but more varied dynamic lighting in Syndicate. Framerate is a bit dodgy, but nowhere near as bad as Unity's. So far there seems to be a good variety of missions. Glad I pulled the trigger on this I suppose. Maybe it'll all fall apart later but it's alright so far. Some stray observations:

-If you would have told me a month ago driving a carriage like a car in GTA would actually work I would have laughed in your face. It totally does, though.

-The soundtrack is... really annoying? Really good? I'm very hot/cold on it so far. I'm impressed they pulled the relatively bold move of letting Wintory just use a string quartet essentially (in a series previously defined by loud Hollywood score and Kyd's classical/rock mix) but sometimes it gets super grating. Some of the themes are lovely, sometimes I want to reach through the screen and strangle a violinist.

-Maybe it'll even out a bit as the characters get fleshed out, but the "brother dumb, sister smart" thing is a tad on the nose so far.

-Combat is fun! Melee is anyway. Fairly brainless but looks way better than it has in previous games. It won't win anyone over but it's an improvement. Except...

-the modern day stuff is just as fucking bad as ever but they at least acknowledge in-universe that you want to get back to your game probably. Bad but mercifully short so far.

-Climbing can be a bit confusing now that they can climb stuff that doesn't look obviously scalable. Sometimes they'll just fwooooop up some bricks I had no idea I could climb.

-Chases are still bad

How would you compare it with Ac2, Brotherhood and Revelations. My favourite three of the saga.

nib95

Banned

-Chases are still bad

Appreciate the impressions. I'm still on the fence on this. Got Halo 5 and Tomb Raider in my sights, but would like one more title. Thus far it's between Syndicate, Need for Speed and Battlefront. Decisions decisions.

glaurung

Guys, guys! Does the Rooks edition also contain the regular PS4 blue game jewel case?

Or is it some bullshit cardboard sleeve for the game disc?

Edit: never mind, found an unboxing video for the Rooks box. The jewel case is in there, proud and center.

I think I'm going to take the plunge with this, I wasn't remotely interested until I watched a couple of videos and the reviews and impressions in here have swayed me,im looking for something to tide me over until Fallout 4.

gossi

Flip, you haven't understood the controls.

SJRB

Gold Member

Totally agree. It's beautiful one moment, and physically aggravating the next.

It seems that Wintory got carte blanche on this, but I'm not sure what he was thinking with some of the music, really. I mean, surely he didn't think a crazy freestyle violin quartet screetching in the background would make for good background music..

KrisB

Up to sequence 3 and really enjoying it. This is coming from someone who did not enjoy Unity. Combat feels better, looks great, the characters are likable. Will put some more time in tonight after dinner.

V3rt1go

Syndicate reminded me of the times with Ezio, specially Brotherhood and Revelations.

All about fun and gameplay mechanics that let you play and to make you want to feel impressed by how smart the developers are.

I'd say it's a prettu straightforward and fun experience.

Dominator

This game is hitting all the right notes for me so far. Just cleared the first area of the map you start in, having a blast. Gonna start hitting up all the eagle spots.

This is the best combat AC has ever had.

gossi

2 hours in. So far, so great. Some fun variety of missions. Combat is no longer the laggy mess from Unity, and the perks system is really really good. Automatic looting of bodies is one!

Top Bottom