• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami confirms closure of Kojima Productions Los Angeles studio

Nibel

"Konami has made the decision to close its Los Angeles Studio, effective immediately, due to the product development resources being restructured into a more centralized unit. This facility contributed to the recent Metal Gear Solid games. Konami will continue its operations to support all Metal Gear Solid titles, including the recently launched Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and Metal Gear Online. Metal Gear Online is still scheduled to release for PC Steam in January 2016."

via Polygon

Metal Gear Online is still scheduled to release for PC Steam in January 2016.

Phew. Now we just need to figure out how to bust that shit open and get some dedicated servers in there. God I wish that wasn't next to impossible :(

Nibel

You guys really thought I let a title error slip through my fingers

not with an average guy like me

So is this going to be the trend? Konami goes completely silent, acting as though nothing's wrong and leaves fans to figure things out for themselves, then only end up being forced to comment once the rumours start really gaining traction?

In any case, yeah, this is just tragic. Hopefully everything works out for the employees.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So Konami changed the name of Kojima Pro LA to get rid of Kojima's name... then just closed the studio outright. *sigh*

Kojima walks into KP LA office

"Oh man, LA has been a great vacation spot for the last month, how is everyone doi-"

Empty-Office-Building-896x500.jpg

213372bu

Banned
Great now it's confirmed that they just told the whole LA studio to fuck off, because despite their worth for the next "future Metal Gear title", Konami's hard-on for fucking over anyone involved with Kojima is more important.

Never have I been so bewildered by a company's actions or shitty attitude.

KarmaCow

Thank you KojiPro LA for getting the PC version out with the console versions. Clearly some really talented people there and the writing was on the wall for months now with Konami burning bridges so hopefully they had job offers ready.

Eusis

Great now it's confirmed that they just told the whole LA studio to fuck off, because despite their worth for the next "future Metal Gear title", Konami's hard-on for fucking over anyone involved with Kojima is more important.

Never have I been so bewildered by a company's actions or shitty attitude.
It's almost like an extreme version of what happened with Infinity Ward. Top guys were a problem for Activision so they wanted JUST them gone, but then a lot of other staff left too. Here, Konami had stuff who were still sticking around but nope lets dump them too.

Arttemis

The Fox Engine deserves so much more than just one game maximizing its potential.

Considering Capcom and Square are failing hard at creating an engine, it's a gigantic shame that KojiPro is accused of poor management for taking their time with MGSV after it was built using a technical marvel pushing out fantastic gameplay mechanics. MGSV deserved another year of development, and that engine deserves as much use as possible.

Before it's even out on PC? How long is this game gonna be supported post-launch?
I doubt any. I'd wager the console version with its sole content patch is all that will be ported.

Revven

So then who exactly is going to be working on the PC MGO and any patches/updates afterwards?

Supposedly, the team that's left in Japan (the people who worked under Kojima).

At least, that's what I would guess as that team is still around and who are the ones currently supporting TPP's FOB stuff.

Snake : I know you didn't have much in terms of choices this time. But
everything you felt, thought about during this mission is yours.
And what you decide to do with them is your choice...

Kojipro : You mean start over?

Snake : Yeah, a clean slate. A new name, new memories. Choose your own
legacy. It's for you to decide. It's up to you.

Seems relevant.

Ugh god damn it. What a waste.
"Continue to support MGO" ...right. November patch (hopefully, lol) will be released, then PC version, then game dies. This reminds me of when Sony disbanded the PS All-Stars dev Superbot and said Santa Monica studio will continue supporting PSAS. Some support that was.

Man, I'm gonna miss the MGO twitter account. Good luck to everyone at Koji LA.

Spaghetti

Thank you KojiPro LA for getting the PC version out with the console versions. Clearly some really talented people there and the writing was on the wall for months now with Konami burning bridges so hopefully they had job offers ready.
?

if i recall correctly mgsv pc was handled in japan.

Top Bottom