• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami confirms closure of Kojima Productions Los Angeles studio

Spaghetti

There was even a big article on how those guys had to forgo their summer vacation time just so they could get it out day-and-date with the console versions.
that was about the japan team.

kojipro LA likely wouldn't have had a chunk of the dev team go on vacation when they were in crunch to launch MGO for october. parts of kojipro japan however would have been done with the game in time for a summer vacation before the sept 1st launch.

Falk

that puzzling face
Can't wait for December when Kojima's noncompete expires and he can make another studio using his name.

Base it in LA, call it HideoUS.

KarmaCow

that was about the japan team.

kojipro LA likely wouldn't have had a chunk of the dev team go on vacation when they were in crunch to launch MGO for october. parts of kojipro japan however would have been done with the game in time for a summer vacation before the sept 1st launch.

Ah okay, guess I misread that old thread.

Spaghetti

Ah okay, guess I misread that old thread.
it's an amazingly competent PC port out of a japanese studio so it's an easy mistake to make.

actually makes me a little sad that kojipro as we know it as no more and will likely suffer a braindrain of talent (it's already started actually, with julien merceron gone).

Spaghetti

Maybe Konami will give them all jobs washing towels in Japan.
nah, those jobs are reserved for kojipro japan when konami eventually winds that studio down too

it's going to happen. the studio has been decapitated. no confirmation yet but i think a lot of senior staff are going with kojima. shinkawa, imaizumi at the very least.

nah, those jobs are reserved for kojipro japan when konami eventually winds that studio down too

I just assumed they already had. They just shut down the studio branch working on MGO and that's still two months from launch on PC, and MGSV proper certainly feels like Konami chased the developers out the door a long time ago.

Ridley327

it's going to happen. the studio has been decapitated. no confirmation yet but i think a lot of senior staff are going with kojima. shinkawa, imaizumi at the very least.

I can't even imagine Shinkawa even wanting to stay on board even if he and Kojima weren't BFFs. All they would have for him to do is design cabinet art for their pachislot machines, and he's already done some freelance work in the past, even going as far as helping design the main villain kaiju in Godzilla Final Wars.

Spaghetti

I just assumed they already had. They just shut down the studio branch working on MGO and that's still two months from launch on PC, and MGSV proper certainly feels like Konami chased the developers out the door a long time ago.
honestly it makes me very suspicious that they are indeed gearing up for a new metal gear when they're making vast cuts like this.

i went and took a look at the applications page in relation to that project, and unless i was a dummy and missed something very obvious, they aren't advertising for a particular job role. it's just an email inbox for applications.

that might lead me to believe that konami aren't being honest about wanting to make a new metal gear and they're creating a smokescreen to keep shareholders from bolting after learning their premier game series is rudderless, and by all intents dead.

RiZ III

Didn't they just open this studio like a year ago? I recall them saying it was going to be a major part of their development. Can't believe Konami execs went crazy out of nowhere.

CAjRVnzVIAA4WXD.jpg

when Kojima opens a new studio, they'll all be back with him hopefully.

As I posted yesterday a cursory search of LinkedIn shows that the majority of the Senior level staff already moved on to new positions at Infinity Ward with a smaller portion going to Respawn and Sony Santa Monica.

There was even a big article on how those guys had to forgo their summer vacation time just so they could get it out day-and-date with the console versions.

American game studios don't have summer vacations.

Konami won't be satisfied unless their entire legacy is burned to the ground by years end.

I just don't understand why they're doing it like this. I understand bowing out to pursue greener pastures and all that but they are very thoroughly and quickly burning some bridges here, it appears reckless.

SURGEdude

I just don't understand why they're doing it like this. I understand bowing out to pursue greener pastures and all that but they are very thoroughly and quickly burning some bridges here, it appears reckless.

It's really strange. Like you said it's one thing to shift markets, but usually companies don't take a blowtorch to their former customers on the off chance the situation shifts again and need to backtrack on their strategy.

Blader

Because the people making the decisions don't care unless you give a shit about pachinko.

It's really strange. Like you said it's one thing to shift markets, but usually companies don't take a blowtorch to their former customers on the off chance the situation shifts again and need to backtrack on their strategy.

This is what happens when your business is a Yakuza gambling empire.

Vinland

Banned
Welp. I can't wait to play my Zone of the Enders pachinko extravaganza on android. Made by some faceless janitor with a phd in theoretical mathematics.

Fuck Konami.

Top Bottom